Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't have either service available to me and what is better depends on what you want.

If you want the fastest downloads and uploads possible, then Siro are better.

If you want cheaper price then Virgin are better.

If you want a completely unlimited service with no caps or fair usage policys then Virgin are also better. Most service providers on the Siro network have a 1tb per month data usage cap/policy, similar to Eir.

Not sure about pricing being a reason to choose VM, absolute cheapest package from VM for naked 240Mbs broadband is €54 after 6 months.
    With vodafone is €45 for 150Mbs down and a faster upload than VM base package.

Vodafone next package is 300Mbs for €55, one euro more than VM for faster upload and download speeds. If TV is chosen I think VF is still cheaper, especially when multi room is chosen as its just €5 with VF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Siro showing up as available at my Balbriggan address but no providers listed yet. How much lead time do they have to give retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I actually cant believe there is a 1TB limit on these products. Its actually comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

I actually cant believe there is a 1TB limit on these products. Its actually comical.

Had it for 6 months at this stage and we are very heavy users.. Max we hit was 800GB in the beginning when running online backups etc. In this day and age its plenty to be honest. Ofc usage will only go one way so I would expect them to up this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

SnipSnop wrote: »
    Had it for 6 months at this stage and we are very heavy users.. Max we hit was 800GB in the beginning when running online backups etc. In this day and age its plenty to be honest. Ofc usage will only go one way so I would expect them to up this in the future.

When I first moved to Ireland in 2011 I had UPC, when 100Mb was the latest and greatest. I was always over 1TB and had my entire package price increased and speeds reduced until I was compliant with the 1TB cap. They have lifted it a while ago, so Virgin is truly unlimited even if you are restricted to 360Mb.

4k content and pc games are huge these days. I suppose for the majority its not important, but I feel if you are paying for 1000Mb you are going to be a very high user of data and should have 10Tb as a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

When I first moved to Ireland in 2011 I had UPC, when 100Mb was the latest and greatest. I was always over 1TB and had my entire package price increased and speeds reduced until I was compliant with the 1TB cap. They have lifted it a while ago, so Virgin is truly unlimited even if you are restricted to 360Mb.

4k content and pc games are huge these days. I suppose for the majority its not important, but I feel if you are paying for 1000Mb you are going to be a very high user of data and should have 10Tb as a minimum.

Totally agree if you are on the 1000Mb plan. Don't really game anymore so I guess that cuts down a lot on traffic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the fair usage policy's of 1tb on FTTH is grossly unfair and not adequate for a family with teenagers who like to regularly stream and download games.

Streaming in 4k is not a good idea with a fair usage policy in place and the new Xbox One X games console now has games up to 120gb in size, compared to 40-65gb on other platforms.

These caps/limits by Eir, PureTelecom, Digiweb and Vodafone are going to have to change during 2018.

Let's see whether Sky go with no FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

JonnyIrl wrote: »
    Actavo guys arrived today and I'm thinking YES!! Today is the day! (sad how much I'm excited for this) about 2 minutes around the side of the house it's bad news :(

The duct at the side of the house for my wire to go through is broken or something, so they can't get the wire through. It also doesn't go from outside my house to the main supply or something as well.

I was told they need to drill 2 shoe box size holes. One at the side of my house and one just at the driveway entrance to fix the blockage on both, which usually takes 5 working days. Then I have to wait for another appointment to be rescheduled for to be actually installed :(

Did anybody else have to have these holes cut? Is there any pics of what to expect, it's just when I try explain this to my landlord I don't sound like I'm cutting up the outside of his house..

I'm in exactly the same boat :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I'm in exactly the same boat :-([/quote]

Keep us updated on how it goes and what the problem/resolution is......I’m worried I might be in the same boat too

• Advertisement

Will do @ctlsleh.

Actavo arrived this morning, opened the meter box tried to shove the fibre optic cable down the duct but it was blocked. One other person in my estate also had the same experience.

Waiting on a different crew to come at some stage in the next week or two to dig up the duct and then they'll come back and install it. Let's see how that goes!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The blocked ducts are a pain, but count your blessings: at least they'll clear them. With an open eir installation, a blocked duct between you and the edge of your site is your problem.

Will do @ctlsleh.

Actavo arrived this morning, opened the meter box tried to shove the fibre optic cable down the duct but it was blocked. One other person in my estate also had the same experience.

Waiting on a different crew to come at some stage in the next week or two to dig up the duct and then they'll come back and install it. Let's see how that goes!

When I open my meter box, I can only see the power line coming up the cavity and it’s not in a duct......and of course I pumped the walls a couple of years ago, not ever thinking this would be how the fibre would be coming into the house...doh!
    ! I know there’s definitely a duct coming in, as I’ve seen where the KN guys were doing some auditing in the estate, however I have no idea where it ends, it could be somewhere in the wall cavity or at the foundation.......I’m just hoping against hopes that when they push through the fibre duct that it magically appears somewhere near the meter....!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

NikoTopps wrote: »
    A wk after it was due to be install Vodafone say this «rare» SIRO issue have still not be fixed yet.More waiting!

still nothing :mad: i have been 2 wks without a proper internet connection now thanks to SIRO :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I've had Vodafone SIRO for over a month now, and so far I'm not impressed. On the 150 Mb package and the speeds are not reliable. Did a speed test a few minutes ago and got 0.77 Mbps DL, 3.59 Mbps UL.

KN lads in my estate yesterday.......only took them about an hour, said they were installing the fibre in the duscta in the path.....

What are the next steps and how long do they normally take?

I assume the process is that the lads come along and put in the new fibre ducting to carry the fibre into the existing electricity ducts......do they also blow the fibre.......?

Then someone else comes back later after you’ve signed up for a package and then they send someone else to do the pulling of fobre into your souse.....?

How long does that process normally take time wise....?

Will do @ctlsleh.

2nd crowd arrived yesterday to unblock the duct. Took 20 mins. Calling Vodafone back tomorrow to schedule the install.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    KN lads in my estate yesterday.......only took them about an hour, said they were installing the fibre in the duscta in the path.....

What are the next steps and how long do they normally take?

I assume the process is that the lads come along and put in the new fibre ducting to carry the fibre into the existing electricity ducts......do they also blow the fibre.......?

Then someone else comes back later after you’ve signed up for a package and then they send someone else to do the pulling of fobre into your souse.....?

How long does that process normally take time wise....?

Another KN crew today, This crew were digging where there was no manhole at the electricity cabinets and feeding the fibre duct to the house through the existing electricity feed duct....super efficient team, really impressed with the speed.

They say that they were able to get the duct to the point where the pipe hockey sticks up to the meter at the wall. They and I could hear in hit the end point from the meter so that I’m definitely good to go......the Actavo guys come out next and will dig a small hole in the path to get access to it there and then feed it directly into the house......happy days, shouldn’t be long now. I only wish Sky would come,e up with their offering as I’d prefer to go with them than Vodafone........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Have you spoken to Digiweb?
    They're also selling siro and their router is much better than vodafone's.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Have you spoken to Digiweb?
    They're also selling siro and their router is much better than vodafone's.

Thanks, Digiweb dont seem to be offering service in my area (clare), but ill check with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

NikoTopps wrote: »
    still nothing :mad: i have been 2 wks without a proper internet connection now thanks to SIRO :(

Vodafone now saying it will be install by 7 december and it is normal for to take up to 28 day from order to install

wish i could just cancel and start from fresh with digiweb or someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sky now listed under partners on the SIRO website.

They haven't taken on all locations, though.

https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Sky now listed under partners on the SIRO website.

They haven't taken on all locations, though.

https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

/M
    Now here's a curiosity. Sky lists Balbriggin and none of the others do.

And, my address shows that it's available now through Sky but no one else. Have they jumped the gun?

Can't find the product on the Sky website. Anyone?

KOR101 wrote: »

And, my address shows that it's available now through Sky but no one else. Have they jumped the gun?

Hard to know. Balbriggan is under planned towns. Maybe somebody has pushed the wrong buttons.

Sky is for example not listed for Portlaoise. Only Vodafone, Digiweb and Airwire.

I would have assumed, that if they used the BT or eNet distribution platform (I think they use BT), they'd be present everywhere. All the others run their own backbone to the towns/cities.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Sky saying it's available in Shannon? Not that I'm aware of.

Edit: It's saying will be available in Shannon. So I guess we'll see activity soon.

tv221 wrote: »

Edit: It's saying will be available in Shannon. So I guess we'll see activity soon.

Shannon is not live yet. Other providers also planned for that. It's the same for Balbriggan. I guess they've accidential listed some places wrong :)

/M

KOR101 wrote: »

tv221 wrote: »

It actually says "will initially be available", so they're not ready yet.

At least there's more options with higher caps or near unlimited available now. Airwire has also come online now and there are caps on the faster packages, but they're a lot more flexible/cheaper, than what others offer.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »
    It actually says "will initially be available", so they're not ready yet.

At least there's more options with higher caps or near unlimited available now. Airwire has also come online now and there are caps on the faster packages, but they're a lot more flexible/cheaper, than what others offer.

/M

wow I've only seen this now. really wish these guys were available on OpenEir's FTTH. Realistic caps and completely different speed profiles: Their middle package offers 600 megs instead of 300!

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    wow I've only seen this now. really wish these guys were available on OpenEir's FTTH. Realistic caps and completely different speed profiles: Their middle package offers 600 megs instead of 300!

Will be available on OpenEIR FTTH during December, but not everywhere.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage/fttx

Be aware, that the speeds are "Up to" speeds. That's because 600 Mbit/s is only possible on SIRO. OpenEIR doesn't have that profile, so it will ony be 300 Mbit/s on that package there.

/M

Advertisement