Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »
    Will be available on OpenEIR FTTH during December, but not everywhere.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage/fttx

Be aware, that the speeds are "Up to" speeds. That's because 600 Mbit/s is only possible on SIRO. OpenEIR doesn't have that profile, so it will ony be 300 Mbit/s on that package there.

/M

ahh thought Siro was 150, 350 and 1000. I Didn't know they had a 600 profile also. If they do launch with OpenEir's network they probably won't cover anywhere other than the county's they already serve.

Not only are the caps better but the data add-on is also very reasonable at 10 euros per 500gb extra, why can't Eir or anyone else do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    ahh thought Siro was 150, 350 and 1000. I Didn't know they had a 600 profile also. If they do launch with OpenEir's network they probably won't cover anywhere other than the county's they already serve.

Not only are the caps better but the data add-on is also very reasonable at 10 euros per 500gb extra, why can't Eir or anyone else do this.

SIRO has 150, 350, 600 and 1000 as profiles.
    OpenEIR has 150, 300 and 1000 as profiles.

Fun part is actually, that SIRO is 120 Mbit/s upload on 600 and 200 Mbit/s on 1000. OpenEIR is only 100 Mbit/s on 1000 on upload.

Vodafone sells the 350 Mbit/s package and may or may not throttle is to 300, which is what they are advertising. I guess they did that to have the same packages once they also do OpenEIR FTTH. Airwire has an "we give you the fastest possible, that financially makes sense" approach.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gonzo wrote: »
    ahh thought Siro was 150, 350 and 1000.

Most resellers aren't bothering with SIRO's 600 product. Demand seems to cluster around the 150 and 1000 products, so there's not that much call for two offerings in between.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Most resellers aren't bothering with SIRO's 600 product. Demand seems to cluster around the 150 and 1000 products, so there's not that much call for two offerings in between.

Aye. If you need the upload, then the 600 Mbit/s package (with it's 120 Mbit/s upload) is a good option on a budget though.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Vodafone now saying it will be install by 7 december and it is normal for to take up to 28 day from order to install

wish i could just cancel and start from fresh with digiweb or someone else

they are say now it's rare SIRO issue which affect ''many'' other customers ,been almost a month now. maybe iam just unlucky but this really discourage me from go near SIRO again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Horkan's Hill and St Mary's Crescent are live now. Don't hold me to it, but it looks like a chunk of the town centre will go live in a couple of weeks, and there should be another chunk coming in November.

Hi Paul - any updates on the Rosslee, Kilkenny cross situation? I heard a Vodafone rep was knocking on doors there last week.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Hi Paul - any updates on the Rosslee, Kilkenny cross situation? I heard a Vodafone rep was knocking on doors there last week.

Nothing concrete, no. Nothing new has been added in the latest "premises passed" file from last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

2nd crowd arrived yesterday to unblock the duct. Took 20 mins. Calling Vodafone back tomorrow to schedule the install.

Had Actavo out yesterday to finish the install after the duct got cleared last Monday.

Hole drilled through the external wall. Cable from ESB meter cabinet fitted and box fitted on the inside of the wall. All good... Until he told me that they hadn't run fibre from the main cabinet in the estate to the distribution cabinet at the end of my garden. That's a two man job so need to schedule another appointment.

Sigh...

At least the next appointment is tomorrow.

Fully expecting to hear "sorry, that duct is also blocked/doesn't exist/other excuse, sorry need to have another crew come and unblock that" tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JonnyIrl

Sorry about the delay, so I've had my internet almost one week now (finally)

Here are the holes that had to be cut out, one beside the house, and the other at the end of the drive.

21ec3za.jpg

1115w1d.jpg

bjcx8o.jpg

And now for the most important pic, the speedtest:

selzti.jpg

It was quite an annoying install which took over a week and lots of calling to Vodafone. Just something to note, the guys who came to fix the ducts and cut the holes literally just turned up, no phone call or anything so if anybody is in the same boat there's no need to worry about missing work or having to take a half day etc.

I hope you all get your installs finished with much less hassle than me. The guy who installed it did a really tidy job, kept the wire tight to the downspout and straight across to the room it's installed in. Box is hidden behind a desk and the Vodafone router is holding its own so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

JonnyIrl wrote: »

Here are the holes that had to be cut out, one beside the house, and the other at the end of the drive.

21ec3za.jpg

1115w1d.jpg

bjcx8o.jpg

And now for the most important pic, the speedtest:

selzti.jpg

It was quite an annoying install which took over a week and lots of calling to Vodafone. Just something to note, the guys who came to fix the ducts and cut the holes literally just turned up, no phone call or anything so if anybody is in the same boat there's no need to worry about missing work or having to take a half day etc.

I hope you all get your installs finished with much less hassle than me. The guy who installed it did a really tidy job, kept the wire tight to the downspout and straight across to the room it's installed in. Box is hidden behind a desk and the Vodafone router is holding its own so far!
    I was one of the first siro customers and install was completely seamless. I rang to order and they wanted to come the following morning. I put them off till the following day, when I came home from work they had already called around and pushed the cables to meter box. They arrived as scheduled and no probs. Obviously allot different now with lots of new orders.
    I think it's understandable that delays like this occur when different teams are trained and have equipment to do different tasks, like I don't think every team could have kangos, cement, modems etc with them. It's good that it finally got connected anyway, you have a internet connection future proofed for many decades ahead :-)

• Advertisement

Mgit wrote: »
    I was one of the first siro customers and install was completely seamless. I rang to order and they wanted to come the following morning. I put them off till the following day, when I came home from work they had already called around and pushed the cables to meter box. They arrived as scheduled and no probs. Obviously allot different now with lots of new orders.
    I think it's understandable that delays like this occur when different teams are trained and have equipment to do different tasks, like I don't think every team could have kangos, cement, modems etc with them. It's good that it finally got connected anyway, you have a internet connection future proofed for many decades ahead :-)

I completely agree, the Actavo guys were great it was Vodafone who were the pains. My first installer couldn't make it on the day and had rescheduled and it took 3 phone calls to Vodafone before somebody actually told me that it was rescheduled. Whats done is done now anyway, like you said it's installed so I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi all,

I'm in Naas and have had my eye on the SIRO fibre-to-the-home rollout for the last while, Digiweb are the SIRO provider for Naas, I'd registered my interest with them. Got a call this morning that it has just gone live on my road (near Monread Park). I've signed up for the 150Mb package @ €45 per month. No install fee as the backhaul is with e-net apparently. The agent said I should be up and running in 10-15 days.

Also, they have a refer a friend option:

https://www.digiweb.ie/referafriend/

If I refer someone to the service I get €30 credit and the person I refer gets €30 so PM me if you want to take advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Just a word of warning. Vodaphone are going around the estates in Balbriggan selling SIRO. But, in fact, what they are selling is FTTC now with a free upgrade to SIRO when it goes live. Hard to see how a double switch makes sense when you can just wait a few week for the real thing. Salesperson was completely lost on the FUP. I said I was waiting to see what Sky will offer on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks KOR101

A double switch makes absolute no sense from a customer point of view. Vodafone might be trying to get in before other sales people from other operators circulate when Siro does actually go live in the town.

I'll stick with Eir fttc until the Siro is live on my road. Can't be too long now, they finished visible works a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

2 neighbours have their installs today with Actavo.Both finished in under a hour they said and no issue either !

I really am must just be unlucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Had Actavo out yesterday to finish the install after the duct got cleared last Monday.

Hole drilled through the external wall. Cable from ESB meter cabinet fitted and box fitted on the inside of the wall. All good... Until he told me that they hadn't run fibre from the main cabinet in the estate to the distribution cabinet at the end of my garden. That's a two man job so need to schedule another appointment.

Sigh...

At least the next appointment is tomorrow.

Fully expecting to hear "sorry, that duct is also blocked/doesn't exist/other excuse, sorry need to have another crew come and unblock that" tomorrow....

Finally got sorted. 350Mb package is up and running! Happy days.

(Although they didn't set up my landline)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

JonnyIrl wrote:

What are you paying each month??

Spoke with one of the SIRO employed (not contractor) techs today, while there was some testing going on in Limerick.

Interesting things to come.

While OpenEIR feeds their DP with 2.5 Gbit/s (that's for 32 customers), SIRO states a maximum of 6% contention ... ever !! And they have 10 Gbit/s at the aggregator standard.

Not only that: In the last days SIRO has started to testing XG-PON solutions .. that's 10 Gbit/s at the fiber-interface to home. Obviously, that'll be more towards business services, but exciting non the less.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ooooh, if they were ready in time later phases could get newer OLTs providing for huge capacity without waiting for current gear to pay for itself. Fun times.

ED E wrote: »
    Ooooh, if they were ready in time later phases could get newer OLTs providing for huge capacity without waiting for current gear to pay for itself. Fun times.

It is my understanding, that that is the case already. SIRO hasn't quite skimped on the backend as OpenEIR. They're both using Huawei .. but there was quite a bit more foresight in SIROs network design and purchasing.

/M

• Advertisement

Upgrades are possibly easier for OE though as rackspace is near to unlimited, from my understanding SIRO is heavily dependent on the new cab network they've built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    Spoke with one of the SIRO employed (not contractor) techs today, while there was some testing going on in Limerick.

Interesting things to come.

While OpenEIR feeds their DP with 2.5 Gbit/s (that's for 32 customers), SIRO states a maximum of 6% contention ... ever !! And they have 10 Gbit/s at the aggregator standard.

Not only that: In the last days SIRO has started to testing XG-PON solutions .. that's 10 Gbit/s at the fiber-interface to home. Obviously, that'll be more towards business services, but exciting non the less.

/M

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/598075781877735424

Is this untrue then?

Well, its 2yrs old.

Is this untrue then?

That information is outdated. Current standard is max 6%. Date of the post says it all.

/M

What are you paying each month??

I went with the Vodafone deal so €40 for 6 months and €90 after on an 18month contract.

Works out a lot better than the flat deal with Digiweb by the time the 18months is up I'm sure I'll get some new deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Do siro wire connection up stairs or hole in a wall then thats it , because my ps4 and pc are upstairs and need them wired

Do siro wire connection up stairs or hole in a wall then thats it , because my ps4 and pc are upstairs and need them wired

I showed the installer the room I wanted it installed in and where I wanted it installed, he drilled a hole straight through the wall in the room and ran the connection from the side of the house where the cables come in up to the newly drilled hole in the room.

Hope this helps!

I showed the installer the room I wanted it installed in and where I wanted it installed, he drilled a hole straight through the wall in the room and ran the connection from the side of the house where the cables come in up to the newly drilled hole in the room.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it,

Hope this helps!
    Sorry for annoying you man ,Just need some feedback about your speeds and any issues youve came across with the router , are you a gamer or download alot ,

Before i sign up , it would be great to get feeback ,

Ty in advance

• Advertisement

Sorry for annoying you man ,Just need some feedback about your speeds and any issues youve came across with the router , are you a gamer or download alot ,

Before i sign up , it would be great to get feeback ,

Ty in advance

No worries whatsoever, I was both, but recently enough just a gamer :p

I've been playing League while downloading on Steam and PS4 Updates with my GF downstairs watching Netflix and absolutely no spikes or drops, connection has been so consistent. Every speed test I do, I'm up in the 900's and I've never seen the upload below 200.

My PS4 never gets to that speed though and a quick google search confirms it's not just me. Saying that though, the new Destiny update that's 7GB in size took 7mins to download.

There's a 14 day cooling off period on the Vodafone contract (probably the same with any other provider) and this starts from when your internet is installed so even if you get it installed and you're not happy with it, you can cancel your contract.

I was also informed by the installer that all the Huawei boxes that are installed on the walls carrying the connection are being monitored in Romania and any drops or problems they will know about supposedly before you even do and raise the problem. Not sure if there's any truth to that one though.

Any questions or if you want any more details feel free to ask :)
    any issues youve came across with the router

None so far, I actually bought a decent enough router on Amazon said I'd give the Vodafone one a try and since then I've actually returned the one from Amazon as the Vodafone one is holding its own, so far anyway

Advertisement