Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

JonnyIrl wrote: »

None so far, I actually bought a decent enough router on Amazon said I'd give the Vodafone one a try and since then I've actually returned the one from Amazon as the Vodafone one is holding its own, so far anyway

Vodafone router is fine for wired connections but useless for wireless on both 2.4ghz or 5Ghz.

Go with your own router if most of your hardware will be connecting over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

Marlow wrote: »
    That information is outdated. Current standard is max 6%. Date of the post says it all.

/M

What does 6% max mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JonnyIrl

talla wrote: »
    Vodafone router is fine for wired connections but useless for wireless on both 2.4ghz or 5Ghz.

Go with your own router if most of your hardware will be connecting over wifi.

Personally I haven't had any issues over wifi. TV is downstairs and using 4k HDR Netflix no buffering or quality issues. Had lots of friends over playing Jackbox party games, no disconnects, no lag etc.

Just because I haven't had any issues doesn't mean there isn't any but I'd definitely recommend trying the Vodafone router first and going from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Anyone heard an ETA on Siro in Swords? Saw them out what looked like surveying ducts during August but nothing since. Out of contract soon with Virgin and wouldn't mind giving them a go but if its going to be another 12 months I'd beat VM down again for another loyalty discount. Siro site has just moved it to "Coming Soon" from "Planned".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

digiman wrote: »
    What does 6% max mean?

As with any other residential broadband product there is some amount of oversubscription. It's not feasable to deliver uncontended broadband for less money than you pay upstream.

SIRO state though, that they won't oversubscribe with more than 6% in their network build. So lets assume everyone in the same area was using their internet full throttle. That means, somebody on a 150 Mbit/s package would still see 141.5 Mbit/s ... at least to the handover point with the provider.

What the provider does from there is another story.

/M

As with any other residential broadband product there is some amount of oversubscription. It's not feasable to deliver uncontended broadband for less money than you pay upstream.

SIRO state though, that they won't oversubscribe with more than 6% in their network build. So lets assume everyone in the same area was using their internet full throttle. That means, somebody on a 150 Mbit/s package would still see 141.5 Mbit/s ... at least to the handover point with the provider.

What the provider does from there is another story.

/M

I’d imagine you picked that up wrong or your source got it wrong or else I totally have misunderstood what you are saying.

There is no way in the world they would do that, they would never make any money as they would be constantly upgrading the network and trying to move customers to different PON ports as they signed up.

If i understand you correctly that would mean that if 2 customers ordered the 1Gb product on the same PON port and a 3rd customer ordered a 1Gb product afterwards that they wouldn’t be able to sell it without having to reorganize the network so that he was on a different PON port.

For another example, if they have 20Gb back haul to an OLT that once they have around 150 customers signed up to the 150Mb package that they are going to stick in another 10Gb backhaul link? Even though the traffic of said customers would never even peak over 1Gb/s during peak hour.

If these rules exist they have 2 options.

Charge customers accordingly by increasing prices at least 10 fold

Or remove this 6% rule.

Also contention is described as a ratio rather than a % so that’s why I’d imagine it was picked up wrong somewhere along the line

I’d imagine you picked that up wrong or your source got it wrong or else I totally have misunderstood what you are saying.

My source IS SIRO. And it's a matter of network design. But just to give you an idea:

- SIRO has as it is already 10 Gbit/s at the DP, where OpenEIR for example only has 2.5 Gbit/s at the DP.

- SIRO is already now testing XG-PON (10 Gbit/s PON technology at the customer premises) on their existing fiber.

The 2 above facts sort of give you an idea on how serious they actually are about this.

/M

My source IS SIRO. And it's a matter of network design. But just to give you an idea:

- SIRO has as it is already 10 Gbit/s at the DP, where OpenEIR for example only has 2.5 Gbit/s at the DP.

- SIRO is already now testing XG-PON (10 Gbit/s PON technology at the customer premises) on their existing fiber.

The 2 above facts sort of give you an idea on how serious they actually are about this.

/M

Unless the source was from a network architect there I wouldn’t put much faith in it! 90% of other people wouldn’t know what they are talking about and clearly don’t given the language used to describe it to you.

What do you mean by DP?

Unless the source was from a network architect there I wouldn’t put much faith in it! 90% of other people wouldn’t know what they are talking about and clearly don’t given the language used to describe it to you.

Well, you can doubt it all you want. It comes from the tech guys, that design the network and onboard the providers. So that's pretty much as good as it gets.
    What do you mean by DP?

DP = distribution point.

/M

• Advertisement

Well, you can doubt it all you want. It comes from the tech guys, that design the network and onboard the providers. So that's pretty much as good as it gets.

DP = distribution point.

/M

I did assume it meant distribution point alright but what is your understanding of distribution point?

In the Eir network people refers to the DP as the pole outside the house for example

I did assume it meant distribution point alright but what is your understanding of distribution point?

In the Eir network people refers to the DP as the pole outside the house for example

OpenEIRs Distribution point services 32 connections (max). 4 connections at Stage 1 to 8 connections at Stage 2. So you've got 2.5 Gbit/s for 32 connections there.

I've not asked in detail on SIROs design. 6% maximum over subscription is what they state.

What's your point ? That you just don't believe me ? or them ? Or think it can't be done in Ireland ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Pretty sure Westnet Paul will be able to answer these questions if he is reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't believe the 6% figure tbh. If you were to limit yourself so far you would just go direct and skip the PON.

And 10 is in testing, it's not at full stage production. OE haven't said it but I'd be pretty sure they've got the same LTs in the testbed in the SDUB AEH. Remember they're also best buds with Huawei.

OpenEIRs Distribution point services 32 connections (max). 4 connections at Stage 1 to 8 connections at Stage 2. So you've got 2.5 Gbit/s for 32 connections there.

I've not asked in detail on SIROs design. 6% maximum over subscription is what they state.

What's your point ? That you just don't believe me ? or them ? Or think it can't be done in Ireland ?

/M

Being blunt What your saying doesn’t make any sense. Both SIRO and Eir are using GPON which means both have 2.5Gb/s from the GPON port on the OLT. There is no difference in either network from that point, Eir use 2 stage splitting architecture mainly where SIRO use 1 stage splitting mainly. Mainly would mean over 90% at least.

While SIRO have trialed 10Gb/s at this same point it was only a trial and is not deployed anywhere yet and there is no need for it in the residential part of the network at the moment.

Possibly what you have heard is that SIRO over provision their packages so that they provision a 150Mb package as 159Mb/s so that there is a greater chance a customer will see 150Mb/s on a speedtest. That explains why you normally see SIRO Speedtest a little above the package limit but with Eir it is normally below that. I notice with my VM connection it will normally show my 240Mb/s connection slightly above this. This does help with reducing calls to the call centers for saying we are only getting 145Mb/s rather than the 150Mb/s speed they are paying for

Being blunt What your saying doesn’t make any sense. Both SIRO and Eir are using GPON which means both have 2.5Gb/s from the GPON port on the OLT. There is no difference in either network from that point, Eir use 2 stage splitting architecture mainly where SIRO use 1 stage splitting mainly. Mainly would mean over 90% at least.

No. I asked SIRO specificly on the case of the OLT and they specified, they're running 10 Gbit/s on the GPON port on the OLT.

/M

No. I asked SIRO specificly on the case of the OLT and they specified, they're running 10 Gbit/s on the GPON port on the OLT.

/M

Fair enough, I guess he didn’t have a clue then!!

There is a GPON technology which gives 10Gb/s down and 2.5Gb/s up known as XGPON but they are not using that and most networks around the world are waiting on the symetrecial version of that which is what SIRO press realsed yesterday called XGSPON which is 10Gb/s up and down.

Fair enough, I guess he didn’t have a clue then!!

It's either that or basically the answer was related to the uplink of the OLT. Time will show anyhow, as we see more premises coming online, how contended the last mile is going to be.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive said it before, referencing anything "AT" the DP/Splits is silly. Its not optically split, each ONT RXs the entire spectrum and listens to a sub portion as allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think it is fantastic that you are all even arguing......

Imagine being able to have this discussion even 5 years ago.... We have come a long way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

The fact is that Siro like Eir are using GPON which delivers 2.5Gb down and 1.25Gb up to the subscriber (shared amongst 32 subs).

They have trialled XGS-PON which can delviver 10G symmetrical 10G/10G up/down.
    This requires a new card in the OLT and a new ONT at the subscriber, so they won’t be doing that for residential customers, most likely this will be a service for Corp/business users

ctlsleh wrote: »
    The fact is that Siro like Eir are using GPON which delivers 2.5Gb down and 1.25Gb up to the subscriber (shared amongst 32 subs).

They have trialled XGS-PON which can delviver 10G symmetrical 10G/10G up/down.
    This requires a new card in the OLT and a new ONT at the subscriber, so they won’t be doing that for residential customers, most likely this will be a service for Corp/business users

It'll be that and/or to move the GigE and maybe 600 Mbit/s subscriptions of the GPON infrastructure to bring contention down. You can service a lot of subscribers near contention free, when it's 150 and 350 Mbit/s connection on a 2.5 Mbit/s stream.

SIRO already does new provider tests (when a new provider connects to a new town/city) with the GPON being provisioned at GigE symmetric.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

It'll be that and/or to move the GigE and maybe 600 Mbit/s subscriptions of the GPON infrastructure to bring contention down. You can service a lot of subscribers near contention free, when it's 150 and 350 Mbit/s connection on a 2.5 Mbit/s stream.

SIRO already does new provider tests (when a new provider connects to a new town/city) with the GPON being provisioned at GigE symmetric.

/M

yes, thats correct, they can easily deliver a 1Gig (down)/200Mb(up) to each subscriber based on their 32:1 split, in fact in many countries, Service Providers are delivering a 1Gig service on a 64:1 split. They can do this because the reality of subscriber consumption is that its bursty, so you download a web-page, then read the page, download a video then watch it, and you don't poll the service again for a while. Statistically, its really easy to deliver a 1G service on that basis, the reality of the market is that we all use less than 3Mb at present on average, which is certainly growing but can be managed based on split-ratio and then the upgrade of the network to XGS-PON

38099912185_fdf490591a_c.jpg

Huawei lads have now made it around the other side of AIT in Athlone. While a lot of the fiber out towards Ericsson etc. is underground, it's overground on this side.

Picture taken Saturday before they managed to tidy up :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

Hi,

I'm currently building a house in an estate that is showing live on Siro website.

Vodafone are the network that is available, and I'm wondering how they get the cable into the house. We are currently doing the groundworks for the other services, and I presume that their cable is going to come in via the same duct as the ESB, but obviously this will only come into my meter box.

I'd really like to get the cable brought up the outside of my drain pipe and into the attic where I have all my CAT6 cables ran to.

I was going to run a duct to the ESB connection at the front of my house to the bottom (well to the side) of where my gutter comes down.

Is this a runner for these guys?

Cheers
    HomerS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭irishgeo

HomerS wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently building a house in an estate that is showing live on Siro website.

Vodafone are the network that is available, and I'm wondering how they get the cable into the house. We are currently doing the groundworks for the other services, and I presume that their cable is going to come in via the same duct as the ESB, but obviously this will only come into my meter box.

I'd really like to get the cable brought up the outside of my drain pipe and into the attic where I have all my CAT6 cables ran to.

I was going to run a duct to the ESB connection at the front of my house to the bottom (well to the side) of where my gutter comes down.

Is this a runner for these guys?

Cheers
    HomerS
    i cant see it being put up a gutter,.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishgeo wrote: »
    i cant see it being put up a gutter,.

He said "I'd really like to get the cable brought up the outside of my drain pipe"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Cush wrote: »
    He said "I'd really like to get the cable brought up the outside of my drain pipe"

regardless they wont do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

irishgeo wrote: »
    regardless they wont do it anyway.

Thanks,

What is the norm, considering the cable most likely enters into the ESB meter box, what do they do...drill inside from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

HomerS wrote: »
    What is the norm, considering the cable most likely enters into the ESB meter box, what do they do...drill inside from there?
    the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

These from SIRO install in Westport back in August - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

424976.jpg

424977.jpg

Other external install pics

20170919_115008.jpg

383259.jpg

Advertisement