Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm pretty sure if you run a duct from the meter cabinet to where you want the ONT, they'll use it rather than drill holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

The Cush wrote: »
    These from SIRO install in Westport back in August - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

424976.jpg

424977.jpg

Other external install pics

20170919_115008.jpg

383259.jpg

Thanks guys, it's a new build house and don't fancy the look of a cable coming out of meter box or just being drilled into the room beside it.

Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is there any way to contact SIRO/Digiweb other than the contact us section? Live in a good group of houses just outside of Limerick city and all we have is DSL and I know from talking to my neighbours they'd sign up for SIRO etc if it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is there any way to contact SIRO/Digiweb other than the contact us section? Live in a good group of houses just outside of Limerick city and all we have is DSL and I know from talking to my neighbours they'd sign up for SIRO etc if it was available.

Why would you need anything more than the contact us section on siro.ie ? They even have a phone number for their roll-out line there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIRs Distribution point services 32 connections (max). 4 connections at Stage 1 to 8 connections at Stage 2. So you've got 2.5 Gbit/s for 32 connections there.

I've not asked in detail on SIROs design. 6% maximum over subscription is what they state.

What's your point ? That you just don't believe me ? or them ? Or think it can't be done in Ireland ?

/M

Don't take offence - but what you're saying is incorrect (or rather what you have been told).

This 6% thing is made up by someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

28499 total FTTP nationwide between all operators in Q3 up from 19125 (49% increase). It looks like we'll finally make the FTTH Council's list of countries with at least 1% penetration.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q3-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

just got email from Vodafone to say engineer will come tomorrow with 1300 and 1800hrs. Heres to hope after nearly 1month &half it will actually be installed

NikoTopps wrote: »
    just got email from Vodafone to say engineer will come tomorrow with 1300 and 1800hrs. Heres to hope after nearly 1month &half it will actually be installed

Is your installation overhead on power line, ducted or surface ?

/M

Is your installation overhead on power line, ducted or surface ?

/M

duct i think because my home is new and have seen no installers

but what are the difffereces with those 3 ?

duct i think because my home is new and have seen no installers

but what are the difffereces with those 3 ?

Overhead installation along power lines can require involving ESB networks and does indeed incur delays. These installations can take up to a month.

Ducted or surface are usually straight forward and done within a few hours.

I'd reckon, that if ESB networks had to be involved, that would have caused your delay .. and Vodafone is not always best to communicate what actually is going wrong.

/M

• Advertisement

Overhead installation along power lines can require involving ESB networks and does indeed incur delays. These installations can take up to a month.

Ducted or surface are usually straight forward and done within a few hours.

I'd reckon, that if ESB networks had to be involved, that would have caused your delay .. and Vodafone is not always best to communicate what actually is going wrong.

/M

ah ok ,definitely not over-head anyway because all of electricity cabling is under-ground .Vodafone just say it was SIRO line issue ,even though neighbours were could get it installed with no issues.

hopefully it will all be worth it tomorrow !

And so the wait for installer begin :pac::pac::pac:

Edit:No sign of him yet,and install time take what? 2hr?so it's not much time left

Edit2: installer came at 4 and he just left.He said its rare issue which vodafone account,its definitely working but the system hasnt updated yet and it will be tomorrow morning before they active line .More waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Got my SIRO installed through Digiweb yesterday here in Naas. Getting the full 150/30 on wired and wireless, the Fritzbox router is actually a great piece of kit.

Outside pic:

U4Ts7oYm.jpg

Inside pic:

EaMrsjrm.jpg

I've run internal Cat5 cabling to where I have my modem behind the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Looks good, how was the installation procedure?
    Was it a kn or actavo engineer that did it for you?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

furiousox wrote: »
    Looks good, how was the installation procedure?
    Was it a kn or actavo engineer that did it for you?

It was Actavo, they were done in less than an hour. Chatting to the engineers, they said they had 7 more installs to do that day (I was a 9am install). Biggest problem they come across is people not realising there's drilling involved.

internet was activated today finally ,but i wish i knew LAN port on Vodafone router not support 1.000 ,only seems 100 max. Im getting faster speeds over wifi than LAN!Anyone recommend a good enough router for work with SIRO 350Mbs?

edit: Ah, i think it is my PC which is issue. Says it is 1Gbs but in network setting say it is connected with 100Mbs only

internet was activated today finally ,but i wish i knew LAN port on Vodafone router not support 1.000 ,only seems 100 max. Im getting faster speeds over wifi than LAN!Anyone recommend a good enough router for work with SIRO 350Mbs?

edit: Ah, i think it is my PC which is issue. Says it is 1Gbs but in network setting say it is connected with 100Mbs only

The Vodafone router is capable of Gbit/s link speed. It's still a pile of muck though.

Fritz!Box 4040 and 7560 is what nearly all other providers on Siro use. Far superior router.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I saw TLI have been digging in one of the estates in Mallow recently on behalf of Siro. How long till the service is up and running in the town?

TheDriver wrote: »
    I saw TLI have been digging in one of the estates in Mallow recently on behalf of Siro. How long till the service is up and running in the town?

Typically 6 months max from the first dig until the providers on SIRO start hooking the first customers up.

In Athlone, works started about September/October. The first 500 homes were passed end November. About 2000 homes passed now (of a total of 8000).

The providers will be brought online end January and will be preselling throughout January to the passed homes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

KN ducted our development in December so I’m expecting to be able to sign up in January, just waiting for the Sky packages to come on line.

Was wondering if anyone knows if you can bridge the new routers in the same way as the old ones(at least from Voda).....?

So that I can use my own router and mesh set up?

I assume I can connect my router via Cat6 behind the ONT and just use my Voda/Sky credentials as before?

Is that correct? Or is it different now?

• Advertisement

ctlsleh wrote: »
    KN ducted our development in December so I’m expecting to be able to sign up in January, just waiting for the Sky packages to come on line.

Sky may be a while, before they're ready. They depend on BT to build their wholesale platform. So it depends on, where you are and how far they've got. BT doesn't tend to be quick in getting things build.
    Was wondering if anyone knows if you can bridge the new routers in the same way as the old ones(at least from Voda).....?

That depends entirely on the provider you're signing up to. Different providers, different routers.
    So that I can use my own router and mesh set up?

Your router would at least need to have Gbit/s interfaces. And then it depends on, if Sky will let you use a third party router. That's unknown, until they're live on SIRO.
    I assume I can connect my router via Cat6 behind the ONT and just use my Voda/Sky credentials as before?

Is that correct? Or is it different now?

The credentials on Vodafone for SIRO are different from any other products. What Sky is going to do, nobody knows yet.

/M

Sky may be a while, before they're ready. They depend on BT to build their wholesale platform. So it depends on, where you are and how far they've got. BT doesn't tend to be quick in getting things build.

So they are using BT's backhaul network? is that what you mean?.....I'm not sure what you mean by the wholesale platform? or is it the billing platform you mean? All the ISPs will use Siro's OLT/ONT.

Your router would at least need to have Gbit/s interfaces. And then it depends on, if Sky will let you use a third party router. That's unknown, until they're live on SIRO.

Yes, i'm good in that dept, i have a 4x4AC router with multiple Gigabit ports
    The credentials on Vodafone for SIRO are different from any other products. What Sky is going to do, nobody knows yet.

Im assuming that i can remove the Sky/Vodafone router and just use my own connected with Cat6 cable to the ONT and then have the sign on credentials, i dont even need to bridge the new router? In effect that's what i'm doing with the VDSL modem, its only being used as a physical interface to demarc the VDSL service itself, the ONT does the same thing but now that its external, i'm assuming i don't really need the Voda/Sky router at all.......?

So they are using BT's backhaul network? is that what you mean?.....I'm not sure what you mean by the wholesale platform? or is it the billing platform you mean? All the ISPs will use Siro's OLT/ONT.

They are not building their own network to meet SIRO (opposed to all other providers offering SIRO currently). So BT is going to deliver the network between SIRO and Sky.
    Im assuming that i can remove the Sky/Vodafone router and just use my own connected with Cat6 cable to the ONT and then have the sign on credentials, i dont even need to bridge the new router? In effect that's what i'm doing with the VDSL modem, its only being used as a physical interface to demarc the VDSL service itself, the ONT does the same thing but now that its external, i'm assuming i don't really need the Voda/Sky router at all.......?

Sky is not Vodafone ... and Vodafone is not Sky. And SIRO is not Vodafone either .. only partially owned by Vodafone.

SIRO is SIRO. And each and every provider delivering on SIRO then has a different approach. The ONT is the common part.

Every provider builds their own network to meet SIRO in each town/city. Every provider can use a different router. Every provider can have different limits. Every provider can charge different prices.

So ... to remove the confusion: There is SIRO ... (which is owned by ESB and Vodafone, but has nothing to do with Vodafone retail). They deliver the fiber optic network between your house and their aggregator infrastructure in each town/city ... that's all they do.

Every provider then brings their national network to meet SIRO in these locations. That's also the reason, why not every provider is available in all towns/cities.

The provider then decides on what packages they want to offer and at what prices. What limits they want to enforce. What router they want to use. If they let you use third party routers or not. How much bandwidth they bring to these towns/cities. What upstream they buy. What quality their support is. etc.

Vodafone retail is just ONE of 8 providers available on the SIRO platform.

Sky then is the first, that doesn't want to be bothered with building their own network. So they're just outsourcing that part to BT. It will be an option to new providers in the future, to either use BT or eNet to get to SIRO .. not that that's a good thing in my opinion. I prefer a provider, that is in control of their ENTIRE network.

And what Sky is going to do is completely in the open at the moment. BT have only connected a few places so far and I'm unsure, if they're ready to deliver.

/M

They are not building their own network to meet SIRO (opposed to all other providers offering SIRO currently). So BT is going to deliver the network between SIRO and Sky.

Sky is not Vodafone ... and Vodafone is not Sky. And SIRO is not Vodafone either .. only partially owned by Vodafone.

SIRO is SIRO. And each and every provider delivering on SIRO then has a different approach. The ONT is the common part.

Every provider builds their own network to meet SIRO in each town/city. Every provider can use a different router. Every provider can have different limits. Every provider can charge different prices.

So ... to remove the confusion: There is SIRO ... (which is owned by ESB and Vodafone, but has nothing to do with Vodafone retail). They deliver the fiber optic network between your house and their aggregator infrastructure in each town/city ... that's all they do.

Every provider then brings their national network to meet SIRO in these locations. That's also the reason, why not every provider is available in all towns/cities.

The provider then decides on what packages they want to offer and at what prices. What limits they want to enforce. What router they want to use. If they let you use third party routers or not. How much bandwidth they bring to these towns/cities. What upstream they buy. What quality their support is. etc.

Vodafone retail is just ONE of 8 providers available on the SIRO platform.

Sky then is the first, that doesn't want to be bothered with building their own network. So they're just outsourcing that part to BT. It will be an option to new providers in the future, to either use BT or eNet to get to SIRO .. not that that's a good thing in my opinion. I prefer a provider, that is in control of their ENTIRE network.

And what Sky is going to do is completely in the open at the moment. BT have only connected a few places so far and I'm unsure, if they're ready to deliver.

/M

I fully understand how it works and the relationship between Sky and their retailers where Siro is the Open Access provider.

It’s not really any different to the situation today between these retailers (Voda, Sky etc)....and OpenEir.......what I wasn’t aware of was that BT are providing the Core/Metro network for Sky.........so I assume they hand off at some particular aggregation Pops to the BT metro network. I think Voda will do the same, they will have their own Metro and BNGs though like they do today.

Even with an Eir service, openeir and Eir retail aren’t exactly hand in glove from what I hear, they act like different orgs.

So all that said, i’m still wondering if there’s any reason why I need to use their router or if I can get the credentials from it (assuming I can access it) and just use my own.....? I don’t really see why I couldn’t do that......am I missing anything....?

That should say Siro and their retail partners......can’t edit on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccunurse1995

I fully understand how it works and the relationship between Sky and their retailers where Siro is the Open Access provider.

It’s not really any different to the situation today between these retailers (Voda, Sky etc)....and OpenEir.......what I wasn’t aware of was that BT are providing the Core/Metro network for Sky.........so I assume they hand off at some particular aggregation Pops to the BT metro network. I think Voda will do the same, they will have their own Metro and BNGs though like they do today.

Even with an Eir service, openeir and Eir retail aren’t exactly hand in glove from what I hear, they act like different orgs.

So all that said, i’m still wondering if there’s any reason why I need to use their router or if I can get the credentials from it (assuming I can access it) and just use my own.....? I don’t really see why I couldn’t do that......am I missing anything....?

I'm using an Asus ac68u router connected directly to the ONT with Vodafone for the past 9 months with no issues. Relatively easy to setup, unfortunately not sure if it's possible with sky.

Vodafone runs their own network, when it comes to SIRO. As do any of the current providers.

Only wholesale networks for other providers (future) on SIRO will be BT and eNet, if the providers don't build their own.

OpenEIR has both approaches on their network: you can build your own and pick up traffic locally or get them to send the traffic across their network, but pay for traffic and hand it over centrally. Hence there's a massive difference between the quality of what providers deliver, that use OpenEIR. They're not equal. Same goes for SIRO.

Vodafone has no problems handing out the credentials for 3rd party routers. Most of the other providers probably won't mind too much either, as long as it can process the amount of bandwidth that's on the package delivered. Lots of routers with Gigabit ports out there, that'll do barely 300 Mbit/s to the internet.

What Sky will do is unknown.

/M

Vodafone runs their own network, when it comes to SIRO. As do any of the current providers.

Only wholesale networks for other providers (future) on SIRO will be BT and eNet, if the providers don't build their own.

OpenEIR has both approaches on their network: you can build your own and pick up traffic locally or get them to send the traffic across their network, but pay for traffic and hand it over centrally. Hence there's a massive difference between the quality of what providers deliver, that use OpenEIR. They're not equal. Same goes for SIRO.

Vodafone has no problems handing out the credentials for 3rd party routers. Most of the other providers probably won't mind too much either, as long as it can process the amount of bandwidth that's on the package delivered. Lots of routers with Gigabit ports out there, that'll do barely 300 Mbit/s to the internet.

What Sky will do is unknown.

/M

I think Enet plan to have their own network, right? They will be the same as Siro and be Open Access, although I haven’t heard that they have signed up any retailers yet......

Assuming any provide has scale and capacity in their core with good peering capacity to the internet then there shouldn’t be a huge difference in the service to the subscriber.......while we all want a 1Gig service, we’re really only consuming about 1-2Mb in reality.......

I think Enet plan to have their own network, right? They will be the same as Siro and be Open Access, although I haven’t heard that they have signed up any retailers yet......

That's a completely different story. Enet have their hands in many pies. Enet manages the Goverment build Metro Area Networks (MAN), they sell layer2 to providers nationwide (like OpenEIR, BT, ESB telecoms etc.) and yes, they're also planning to build a FTTH platform and are one of the contenders for the NBP. All of this has nothing to do with SIRO.

SIRO doesn't offer national infrastructure between the Urban areas and for example the transatlantic fibers in the likes of Belfast, Dublin and Cork. So that's why they've partnered with BT and eNet to fill that gap for those providers who don't operate their own national infrastructure.
    Assuming any provide has scale and capacity in their core with good peering capacity to the internet then there shouldn’t be a huge difference in the service to the subscriber.......while we all want a 1Gig service, we’re really only consuming about 1-2Mb in reality.......

Yes .. but providers also differ also in other ways. Network capacity, peering quality, support, how they deal with billing, how good they are to manage issues, fix them, pricing and how much their sales people promise you :) Oh .. and then there's the difference, if they spend their money in the country or bring it out of the country.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

PPP PADI timeout!

Again here in letterkenny. Is it just our town that gets this error in their routers every month or what?

Edit I got a text from Vodafone today at half 1 saying they've got an outage in the town.

Advertisement