Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Still down in letterkenny, digiweb siro users unaffected by the looks so not storm related

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jimmad wrote: »
    Still down in letterkenny, digiweb siro users unaffected by the looks so not storm related

So Digiweb SIRO in Letterkenny working, but Vodafone not ? That sounds a problem with Vodafone BRAS then. No problems with Vodafone in Sligo atm.

If that happens often ... I'd change provider. Clearly not a SIRO problem.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Marlow wrote: »
    So Digiweb SIRO in Letterkenny working, but Vodafone not ? That sounds a problem with Vodafone BRAS then. No problems with Vodafone in Sligo atm.

If that happens often ... I'd change provider. Clearly not a SIRO problem.

/M

seems that way, this is the second time its happened in 6 months of the service, bad timing on this occassion, cant see it being rectified this side of tuesday

jimmad wrote: »
    bad timing on this occassion, cant see it being rectified this side of tuesday

You mean, it would be magic, if they fixed this year :p

/M

Checked out a premise for SIRO installation in Portlaoise a week ago.

Interestingly found a coil fiber in the ESB meter box :)

38576969235_da5bf6919d_c.jpg

/M

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There are pre-installation crews that will run fibre from the mini-piller to the meter box before the actual installation crew comes. That way there's no holdup on install day if there's a blocked duct or whatever; any remedial work can be done before installation, or - if it can't be done in time - at least the customer can be informed that the installation will be delayed before they take a day off work.

If only every fibre wholesaler operated that way...!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If only every fibre wholesaler operated that way...!

This is a ducted estate. All underground. I don't believe it was put in there recently. Roll out was in February.

But very efficient, that. Plenty of cable, too.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

38576969235_da5bf6919d_c.jpg

/M

Is that for all houses in estate? In my case I also found a coil in meter box day before install, crew told me the next day that they had a free slot the previous day and called over to get some of the work out of the way. Maybe it's routinely done now as suggested here.

Mgit wrote: »
    Is that for all houses in estate? In my case I also found a coil in meter box day before install, crew told me the next day that they had a free slot the previous day and called over to get some of the work out of the way. Maybe it's routinely done now as suggested here.

I didn't open the next power meter, but in that particular estate, it looks like that's been done. It makes the installation nice and handy for the crew, that installs it in the end.

It would be a lot of rooting otherwise, as all ESB lines are ducted and under ground in this case.

Also one thing with SIRO is, that IF ESB Networks have to be involved (overhead lines etc.) an install can take up to 30 days. So I figure, SIRO have taken precautions and done as much work as possible during the initial roll-out to bring the final installation times down to a bare minimum.

It means, that they can install on a few days notice in certain areas ... even on a non-premium install, which is what I've seen in Sligo and Portlaoise so far.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

siro is great,,,,,, when it works, carrigaline cork, its hit and miss of late, 2nd modem, out again last night, as of now still not working, seriously thinking of changing

• Advertisement

siro is great,,,,,, when it works, carrigaline cork, its hit and miss of late, 2nd modem, out again last night, as of now still not working, seriously thinking of changing

Which provider ? It's rarely down to SIRO, but mostly to your choice of provider on SIRO.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Which provider ? It's rarely down to SIRO, but mostly to your choice of provider on SIRO.

/M
    vodaphone

vodaphone

That router Vodafone provides is rubbish, but you could use a third party one, if you want. Also, as you can see from the thread, Vodafone also seems to be pretty unreliable in Letterkenny, while others don't have issues.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

That router Vodafone provides is rubbish, but you could use a third party one, if you want. Also, as you can see from the thread, Vodafone also seems to be pretty unreliable in Letterkenny, while others don't have issues.

/M

I second that on the modem, plug it out and in and it'll work ok after. Torrents etc that have high number of tcp sessions seem to kill it. I went through a bad patch of needing to power cycle a number of times a day, discovered if I power cycle TV boxes at the same time it seems to be ok for weeks at a time. I also have plugin digital time on it that Power cycles it each night. Then if it crashes when I'm away it'll come back online itself and I won't miss tooany recordings.

Portlaoise .. friend of mine .. got installed today.

6933379199.png

Actavo turned up in 3 vans .. 4 installers ... turns out they were training new staff.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

6933379199.png

Actavo turned up in 3 vans .. 4 installers ... turns out they were training new staff.

/M
    Mother of God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

I live in Portlaoise, who are Airwire ?

Very Interesting indeed.

satguy wrote: »
    I live in Portlaoise, who are Airwire ?

Very Interesting indeed.

Regional ISP based out of Galway, traditionally fixed wireless. Similar to Westnet, BBnet etc.

Actually the only provider on the SIRO platform, that offers the 600 Mbit/s package.

As with all SIRO providers, you'll find them on the SIRO website.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

My address just went live on the Siro website......if I called Voda or Airwire tomorrow, how long would it take to get switched on generally....?

ctlsleh wrote: »
    My address st went live on the Siro website......if I called Voda or Airwire tomorrow, how long would it take to get switched on generally....?

Approx. 1-2 weeks max. unless it's an overhead installation. Overhead installation requires ESB networks to be involved and can take up to 30 days. BUT .. generally from what I've seen, the customer is always kept in the loop.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Approx. 1-2 weeks max. unless it's an overhead installation.

/M

That’s great......I might wait a week or two to see if Sky offer any packages, otherwise I’ll probably go airwire as they do short term contracts.

I’m ducted all the way to the foundation ......according to the KN lads, they called it the hockey stick and were happy with the fact they could push the ducting to that point.........they said the Actavo lads will then come and blow the fibre and dig a small hole in my path to get access there rather than try to get it all the way up to the meter....(17 year old house and looks like they didn’t bring the duct up through the cavity to the meter)

Anyway 1-2 weeks is magic, happy with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ctlsleh wrote: »
    My address just went live on the Siro website......if I called Voda or Airwire tomorrow, how long would it take to get switched on generally....?

Same here, I've already emailed Vodafone to see if they can process my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

checked this morning on the SIRO site.. I'M ENABLED!! Called Vodafone immediately, installation scheduled for tomorrow morning! awesome.. :) 1000Mbps here i come !

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Marlow wrote:

Is this digiweb?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can I ask why you're going for 1000Mb? I find anything in 100-200 bracket seems to provide a regular household with everything?

Is this digiweb?

No, it's Airwire. Provider is always shown in the speedtest.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Can I ask why you're going for 1000Mb? I find anything in 100-200 bracket seems to provide a regular household with everything?

Personally, it's not the Gbit/s download, why I'd go for it. It's the 200 Mbit/s upload .. or 120 Mbit/s on the 600 package. If you regularly do big downloads, then 500-600 Mbit/s is not uncommon to archieve and your download is just finished quicker.

But everyone has different reasons.

Just waiting on Athlone going live now. Hopefully end this month. But then .. my place hasn't even been passed yet.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

for me - loads of reasons.

I'm not a typical household
    I work from home, I rely on a solid and fast connection
    I am a techy nerd, i have many machines connected all doing stuff all the time
    Future proofing
    Why not? its 90 quid a month, a few years ago it would have been thousands a month
    The 200 upload will be extremely useful
    I've been starved of good internet for too long! i'll take as much as i can get !
    and as my Father always said, I am not a rich man, therefore i can only afford the best.

My sister and family opted for 150Mbps and it works absolutely fine for them. I agree it isnt for everyone, but for me it makes sense and is worth the investment.

sibergoth wrote: »
    Why not? its 90 quid a month, a few years ago it would have been thousands a month.

Actually 85 with Digiweb. 80 with Airwire.

All depends on what providers you can avail of.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Does anyone know if you are in a contact with Vodafone for normal fixed broadband will they entertain an upgrade to SIRO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My local area of Little Island Cork is on the list now for planned rollouts. Really hope it happens in the next 12 months. Eir are poor to say the least.

Advertisement