Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Does anyone know if you are in a contact with Vodafone for normal fixed broadband will they entertain an upgrade to SIRO?
    Yup. I went that route. They will cancel your old plan and start you on the upgraded SIRO plan once you're installed and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

I'm on the 350 Mbps package with Vodafone, was initially getting getting 350 Mbps wired directly and about 150 Mbps Wireless.

Done a few speed tests recently, seem to be getting 70/80 Mbps via wired devices connected through Powerline Homeplug: PS4, TV, Set Top Box. Wireless I'm now only getting around 50 Mbps.

Is there anything I can do to improve speeds? Should update router? Or contact Vodafone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Does anyone know if you are in a contact with Vodafone for normal fixed broadband will they entertain an upgrade to SIRO?

yes, that's exactly what i am doing.. note it extends whatever contract you have - as in, it is a new 18 month contract from when it is installed. but thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I'm with VF and SIRO reports my address as available. So I called VF and they said nope, not possible.
    Here's the quote I got back through chat : So the way it works is when ESB install Siro in an area they will put a certain number of ports for that area. If there or for instance 50 houses in that area and they only put in 40 ports, it means 10 houses will be left with unavailability. Unfortunately ESB don't communicate whether they will be installing more ports. Your best bet would be to contact them through the Siro website. They should have a lot more technical information on it https://siro.ie/contact-us/.
    Something doesn't add up here so on to Siro ...

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I'm with VF and SIRO reports my address as available. So I called VF and they said nope, not possible.
    Here's the quote I got back through chat : So the way it works is when ESB install Siro in an area they will put a certain number of ports for that area. If there or for instance 50 houses in that area and they only put in 40 ports, it means 10 houses will be left with unavailability. Unfortunately ESB don't communicate whether they will be installing more ports. Your best bet would be to contact them through the Siro website. They should have a lot more technical information on it https://siro.ie/contact-us/.

Find that hard to believe considering they only have about 10K homes connected from what i read somewhere along the way.....there is no way they could have all ports full, i would try again or try another service provider if there is one in our area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd say that's definitely not correct. Mine says available also, and I got half way through the order on the phone only for "no appointments to be available". Will call them again tomorrow to try and finalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not correct. SIRO gives the providers a list every month with the houses passed. All houses are available for installation. No restrictions.

/M

There is obviously some delay between Siro being available on the Siro site compared to when available on the providers systems. My address says available, but no providers are listed under the heading "You can get SIRO from the following broadband providers".

I'd say this delay explains some of our current issues. Really Siro shouldn't be listing the address's on their system until at least one provider is listed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Praetorian wrote: »
    There is obviously some delay between Siro being available on the Siro site compared to when available on the providers systems. My address says available, but no providers are listed under the heading "You can get SIRO from the following broadband providers".

I'd say this delay explains some of our current issues. Really Siro shouldn't be listing the address's on their system until at least one provider is listed as well.

It's worth going to the ISPs' websites and checking what they say. For instance, I now have Siro installed through Digiweb in Naas. On their website they say Naas is available but on the Siro site it only says coming soon. When I enter my eircode I also get a blank field under providers.

Also, Vodafone have been around to me offering service over SIRO. They don't even have Naas listed as a connected town or in Coming Soon:

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html#gigabit-available

So my advice is ring the ISPs themselves to check availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Cerdito wrote:
    It's worth going to the ISPs' websites and checking what they say. For instance, I now have Siro installed through Digiweb in Naas. On their website they say Naas is available but on the Siro site it only says coming soon. When I enter my eircode I also get a blank field under providers.

How much are you paying per month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

How much are you paying per month?

Paying €45 for 150/30 service

my install failed. they need a wider duct into the meter box. have to send a crew to dig up the path a bit and bring the fibre in.. should happen in a week or so. then they will reschedule the install. oh well.

Praetorian wrote: »

The providers get that information at the same time, as SIRO puts it online. if there are no providers listed, then no providers have signed up for the area/town/city yet. Generally Vodafone will become available for each place, but only when they have their connection sorted.

Where are you out of interest ?
    sibergoth wrote: »
    my install failed. they need a wider duct into the meter box. have to send a crew to dig up the path a bit and bring the fibre in.. should happen in a week or so. then they will reschedule the install. oh well.

At least SIRO manage to get this done for you, without you having to do anything. With OpenEIR, you'd have to sort all of that now yourself.

/M

yeah all free and sorted. happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

i have 350Mbs with Vodafone but only get around 130Mbs with AC wifi using stock vodafone routers .i am wondering if i buy a new router would it be possible to get more out of speeds with wifi ?and if so have any one some recommends? thanks

NikoTopps wrote: »
    i have 350Mbs with Vodafone but only get around 130Mbs with AC wifi using stock vodafone routers .i am wondering if i buy a new router would it be possible to get more out of speeds with wifi ?and if so have any one some recommends? thanks

I've managed 560 Mbit/s down, 193.99 Mbit/s up, 4 ms with my Samsung S7 on a Fritz!Box 7560 on a GigE SIRO connection (which is what Westnet, Digiweb, Airwire use).

So a better router definatly should make a lot difference.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I've managed 560 Mbit/s down, 193.99 Mbit/s up, 4 ms with my Samsung S7 on a Fritz!Box 7560 on a GigE SIRO connection (which is what Westnet, Digiweb, Airwire use).

So a better router definatly should make a lot difference.

/M

that is very impressed speeds ! i have surface pro 2017 which have good AC wireless card supposed ,i just do not know much of routers so iam worried i buy one and it isnt working for SIRO which is why i hope someone have some recommends here

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Why did VF raise the price of their 150Mb package from €45 to €55? It's as if they don't want people moving from their FTTC package.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CupawnTae

Vodafone has no problems handing out the credentials for 3rd party routers.

Does that include the SIP settings/credentials for their VoIP over SIRO bundle? I have a Nighthawk router and OBi110 ATA I'd love to use...

briggy wrote: »
    Why did VF raise the price of their 150Mb package from €45 to €55? It's as if they don't want people moving from their FTTC package.

its silly alright because they for sure make more money from SIRO order than eircom FTTC order ,no?

for people like myself who sign up before they increase the price they cannot change it now when in contract ,cant they? i hope they donot have something like sky which say they allowed to up price in the contract if they wanting to

i signed up with 300mbs+calls for 60€/mth which is 70€/mth now

• Advertisement

They didn't. The 45 was always only promotional for the first 6 months out of the 18 months contract. Even for those, who got it at 45, it was only for the first 6 months.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

They didn't. The 45 was always only promotional for the first 6 months out of the 18 months contract. Even for those, who got it at 45, it was only for the first 6 months.

/M

You're thinking of the €40 promotional offer, the 150Mb was always €45 after the promotion. I managed to get the 150Mb package when they were doing the €25 for 6 months and €45 for the remaining 12 months of the contract back in June.

LuM6IDBF.png

You're thinking of the €40 promotional offer, the 150Mb was always €45 after the promotion. I managed to get the 150Mb package when they were doing the €25 for 6 months and €45 for the remaining 12 months of the contract back in June.

Ah .. must have been both parts of it promotional so.

/M

I got the 600 x 120 vodfaone business option. It's the right balance between cost and speed. €25 for the first 6 months, €70 pm for the next 12. I think we are paying €68 currently with Eir including line rental. Hopefully after a succesful installI'll be able to cancel line rental. Have been paying it for nearly 20 years :) That's about €5000 in line rental. When you think about it ;)

my cable was pulled through yesterday.
    Lads arrived, did the job, no need to turn the power off, clean, neat, quick, only made a tiny hole just under the meterbox and they patched it up better than it already was!
    Left a load of fibre coiled up by the meter box all ready for the other lads to do the install. Very impressed by the speed and organisation so far.

now just waiting for an appointment to do the install and i should be rocking and rolling !

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Got Digiweb Electric 150 in over xmas. Xbox is hooked up to modem with ethernet and I get the full 150 Mbps download there. With a 4 yr old Google Nexus 4 phone over wifi, I get 55 Mbps. And with a 9 yr old Dell laptop over wifi I get 22 Mbps. Is the discrepancy in the wifi due to the devices only being able to handle a particular wifi speed, or is it possible I might be able to improve those wifi speeds on the phone and laptop with a different modem or something?

redt0m wrote: »
    Got Digiweb Electric 150 in over xmas. Xbox is hooked up to modem with ethernet and I get the full 150 Mbps download there. With a 4 yr old Google Nexus 4 phone over wifi, I get 55 Mbps. And with a 9 yr old Dell laptop over wifi I get 22 Mbps. Is the discrepancy in the wifi due to the devices only being able to handle a particular wifi speed, or is it possible I might be able to improve those wifi speeds on the phone and laptop with a different modem or something?

Yes .. the problem is more than likely your Laptop and your Nexus 4 phone.

No, you can not fix the problem by replacing the router. The router is perfectly capable of speeds up to 800 Mbit/s on 5 GHz and 300 Mbit/s on 2.4 GHz.

You can however try and maybe replace the wifi card in the laptop or buy a new phone with a better wifi module.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm genuinely curious: why would you want more than 55Mb/s on a phone or more than 22Mb/s on an antique laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CupawnTae

Does anyone have any idea if I can use a third-party ATA with Vodafone's SIRO VoIP?

I have the fibre in, waiting for the Vodafone install, but considering dropping to a broadband-only package and using a third-party VoIP provider if I'd be stuck using their router to use their phone package.

• Advertisement

OH YEAH

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/29625763

This is awesome !!!!!

Advertisement