Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sibergoth wrote: »

incredible upload speed, how much are Vodafone charging for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    incredible upload speed, how much are Vodafone charging for that?

90 EUR/month .. and depending on what deal you got 25 or 45 the first six months out of an 18 month contract (which is something I believe is going to disappear end February, as it was promotional).

Bit cheaper base price on other operators.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Marlow wrote: »
    90 EUR/month .. and depending on what deal you got 25 or 45 the first six months out of an 18 month contract (which is something I believe is going to disappear end February, as it was promotional).

Bit cheaper base price on other operators.

/M

Yeah €90 a month.

I think they said my first 6 months would be €40 a month. I was already paying €45 a month for the FTTC and I only got 38Mbps. This is unreal fast.

Loving it. The whole process was quick and smooth. The lads were efficient and put the cable in exactly where I asked for. Couldn’t be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

sibergoth wrote: »
    Yeah €90 a month.

I think they said my first 6 months would be €40 a month. I was already paying €45 a month for the FTTC and I only got 38Mbps. This is unreal fast.

Loving it. The whole process was quick and smooth. The lads were efficient and put the cable in exactly where I asked for. Couldn’t be happier.
    FTTH awesome just the download caps are the killer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    FTTH awesome just the download caps are the killer.

in Siro land you can soon get Sky FTTH which has no caps whatsoever. Unfortunately there are no such options on OpenEir's Network nationwide. Eir reviewed their FUP by upgrading the penalty to 50 euros for going over by even the smallest amount and 100 euros not long after that. Unlikely that Eir is going to increase the cap anytime soon. I'm waiting/hoping that Sky or somebody else will step in and offer a cap free product on OpenEir's network. I don't use the 1tb per month but I want to leave Eir over their whole attitude with the FUP.

• Advertisement

in Siro land you can soon get Sky FTTH which has no caps whatsoever. Unfortunately there are no such options on OpenEir's Network nationwide. Eir reviewed their FUP by upgrading the penalty to 50 euros for going over by even the smallest amount and 100 euros not long after that. Unlikely that Eir is going to increase the cap anytime soon. I'm waiting/hoping that Sky or somebody else will step in and offer a cap free product on OpenEir's network. I don't use the 1tb per month but I want to leave Eir over their whole attitude with the FUP.

There are other providers both on SIRO and OpenEIR with larger caps already. Obviously depends on where you are.

A cap free product without FUP at those prices is not really feasable, when you consider what a provider pays upstream and for infrastructure to bring the connection to you. So it either has to be a cap or a FUP. A clearly defined cap obviously is the better approach opposed to telling you one thing and doing another (FUP).

Sky may revise their usage policy for FTTH products, with increased speeds. At 100 Mbit/s there was no need for the cap.

It's the same with fixed wireless providers, that had no cap on smaller packages, but simply can't sustain to deliver faster speed without cap or usage policy, because it's either hard to scale the infrastructure or the cost of bringing the faster speeds in is too high.

Sky has the advantage, that their main income comes from the TV packages. So they heavily discount their broadband products based on that.

/M

There are other providers both on SIRO and OpenEIR with larger caps already. Obviously depends on where you are.

A cap free product without FUP at those prices is not really feasable, when you consider what a provider pays upstream and for infrastructure to bring the connection to you. So it either has to be a cap or a FUP. A clearly defined cap obviously is the better approach opposed to telling you one thing and doing another (FUP).

Sky may revise their usage policy for FTTH products, with increased speeds. At 100 Mbit/s there was no need for the cap.

It's the same with fixed wireless providers, that had no cap on smaller packages, but simply can't sustain to deliver faster speed without cap or usage policy, because it's either hard to scale the infrastructure or the cost of bringing the faster speeds in is too high.

Sky has the advantage, that their main income comes from the TV packages. So they heavily discount their broadband products based on that.

/M

I guess that all makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the very tight, heavily fined and almost hidden FUP which Eir has on their service. I am lucky that I mostly have the 1tb allowance all to myself, but if there was another 'me' in the household I'd be watching the clock every day. Airwire's Caps and plans are far more fair. WestNet offer truly unlimited FTTH but unfortunately all these providers are very regional in the west of Ireland and not available elsewhere. Vodafone and Digiweb have the same 1tb per month limit as Eir but I don't think this is policed anywhere near the same level? it's disappointing that both Vodafone and Digiweb don't offer a higher cap to compete with Eir, if they did I would be switching in April. I would have gone with Digiweb initially, but the 200 euros install fee put the end to that.

I guess that all makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the very tight, heavily fined and almost hidden FUP which Eir has on their service. I am lucky that I mostly have the 1tb allowance all to myself, but if there was another 'me' in the household I'd be watching the clock every day. Airwire's Caps and plans are far more fair. WestNet offer truly unlimited FTTH but unfortunately all these providers are very regional in the west of Ireland and not available elsewhere. Vodafone and Digiweb have the same 1tb per month limit as Eir but I don't think this is policed anywhere near the same level? it's disappointing that both Vodafone and Digiweb don't offer a higher cap to compete with Eir, if they did I would be switching in April. I would have gone with Digiweb initially, but the 200 euros install fee put the end to that.

I completely agree. And 1 TB is fair and square for 150 Mbit/s. But not for a power user on a GigE FTTH. It's just neither here nor there.

The install fee is because OpenEIR charges the operator over 3 times of what for example SIRO charges to install a new line. Some providers then will allow free installation, if you sign a longer contract.

/M

Gonzo you could try regional broadband there unlimited with no fup on Eir FTTH network.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

one thing i will just add. The wifi coming from the device isn't wonderfully fast. topping out around 180Mbps even right next to it. I've ordered a netgear triple band yoke! can't let that all that tasty bandwidth go to waste.

Yes - of course i am using gigabit switches and ethernet for all my desktops/laptops. tablets and phones and TV connected things need the wifi.

still, happy out. The free routers are never good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

On Digiweb site Siro 150gb €45 per month unlimited data allowance?
    Can anyone who has this confirm if its unlimited data or not Thanks.
    Also anyone know when Kilkenny City is going live on Siro?
    Work is completed in my estate but yet on Digiweb theres no mention of Kilkenny even in coming soon or planned Towns.

booterboy wrote: »
    On Digiweb site Siro 150gb €45 per month unlimited data allowance?
    Can anyone who has this confirm if its unlimited data or not Thanks.
    Also anyone know when Kilkenny City is going live on Siro?
    Work is completed in my estate but yet on Digiweb theres no mention of Kilkenny even in coming soon or planned Towns.

Digiweb have a FUP of 1TB. If you exceed that twice in a 3 month period, they reserve the right to suspend or cancel your connection.

It's in the small print on the products page.

/M

Marlow wrote:
    Digiweb have a FUP of 1TB. If you exceed that twice in a 3 month period, they reserve the right to suspend or cancel your connection.

Thanks Marlow so its not unlimited data usage.
    Comreg or somebody needs to put a stop to ISP providers claiming unlimited data useage.
    1TB FUP is a load of my bolxxxxs.
    Have Sky BB fibre atm which is I think unlimited.
    Have 4 people in the house all using BB devices every evening and have never being charged extra.

booterboy wrote: »
    Thanks Marlow so its not unlimited data usage.
    Comreg or somebody needs to put a stop to ISP providers claiming unlimited data useage.
    1TB FUP is a load of my bolxxxxs.
    Have Sky BB fibre atm which is I think unlimited.
    Have 4 people in the house all using BB devices every evening and have never being charged extra.

Virgin Media and Sky are currently really the only two main providers who have no data caps/FUP's.

Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb, Pure Telecom and Net 1 plaster there plans with 'unlimited usage', or 'unlimited downloads' but a FUP is hidden deep in the small print of some PDF document or not even listed on the website. What's worse is there isn't even a choice to move to a higher cap or FUP.

Honestly I've no idea how a family of 4 all streaming and downloading on a FTTH connection are meant to stay within the 1tb data limit. These limits were mostly set 2 years ago and have not changed.

There are other countries like Ireland who really like having Caps or FUP's but at least they give the customer choices. In Australia many ISP's price their plans on data rather than speed with 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb plans common. Some of them offer truly unlimited data for an extra 10 dollars.

The only Irish ISP to come close to this model is Airwire, but sadly this is not available to the majority of Irish FTTH lines outside of the mid-west. http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Virgin Media and Sky are currently really the only two main providers who have no data caps/FUP's.

Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb, Pure Telecom and Net 1 plaster there plans with 'unlimited usage', or 'unlimited downloads' but a FUP is hidden deep in the small print of some PDF document or not even listed on the website. What's worse is there isn't even a choice to move to a higher cap or FUP.

Honestly I've no idea how a family of 4 all streaming and downloading on a FTTH connection are meant to stay within the 1tb data limit. These limits were mostly set 2 years ago and have not changed.

There are other countries like Ireland who really like having Caps or FUP's but at least they give the customer choices. In Australia many ISP's price their plans on data rather than speed with 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb plans common. Some of them offer truly unlimited data for an extra 10 dollars.

The only Irish ISP to come close to this model is Airwire, but sadly this is not available to the majority of Irish FTTH lines outside of the mid-west. http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products

Absolutely right, Gonzo. Eir started it all and now everyone else has to smell of the same bull to make any sales.

Brought to you by Eir:

- calling VDSL "fibre" when all it really is is a shorter copper cable*

- Unlimited! *

- teaser rates: ONLY 35 EURO*

* Terms and conditions apply:

Fibre means copper.
    Unlimited means limited
    35 euro means 68 after 3 months

Brought the whole industry into disrepute I think. Massive pressure in everyone else to comply. I mean nobody wants to advertise broadband now without using the word "unlimited" as the market has been distorted into expecting no limits on something that has physical and commercial limits.

</rant>

Thanks for the reply all.
    Going to wait until Sky launch their Siro BB packages.
    Was going to go with Digiweb because of their good customer service and fair priced packages but the draconian 1TB FUP has put me off.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Brought to you by Eir:

Eir were also the ones, that started selling their DSL as "Wireless Broadband", which completely distorted the marked for FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) providers. Because all it had to do with wireless was, that a wireless router was included. While Fixed Wireless providers suddenly had to change their way of calling their products to distinguish themselves.

They're not the only ones at it. There's also the "LTE Fiber Speed Broadband" crowd.

Actually, Eir got one over the hat from the trading standards for using unlimited on their Fiber Extreme products and then having it in the FUP. So they had to remove it ... since they weren't interested in removing the FUP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

i sign up with Vodafone SIRO in november with price of 40€ with 6 mth&with 60€ after [incls landline]but the myvodafone say with 25€ for 6 mth then with 60€ after

Any one else see this ? i donot want say something to Vodafones in case its mistake and they fix it to 40€ :pac::pac:

NikoTopps wrote: »
    i sign up with Vodafone SIRO in november with price of 40€ with 6 mth&with 60€ after [incls landline]but the myvodafone say with 25€ for 6 mth then with 60€ after

Any one else see this ? i donot want say something to Vodafones in case its mistake and they fix it to 40€ :pac::pac:

Vodafone were (and maybe are still running) a 25 for the first 6 months deal since about xmas which now is finished or may run to the end of February ... depending on who you talk to. Their billing has always been a disaster. They can't even figure it out.

I've had a Biz GigE line since some time last year in a friends place and they've not charged me once since. I expect them to want a big lump any time soon.

Take a screenshot, say nothing, be happy and make sure they only charge you that :)

/M

Vodafone were (and maybe are still running) a 25 for the first 6 months deal since about xmas which now is finished or may run to the end of February ... depending on who you talk to. Their billing has always been a disaster. They can't even figure it out.

I've had a Biz GigE line since some time last year in a friends place and they've not charged me once since. I expect them to want a big lump any time soon.

Take a screenshot, say nothing, be happy and make sure they only charge you that :)

/M

you have a free internet ?!! Marlow tell us please what is your secrets !! :pac::pac:

im curious to see how much is the first bill since it usualy a lot more than normal ,if it 25€ or 40€. either ways vodafone have told me because of the issue with the install of my internet the first month will be free anyway .actually i demanded it,first 50% off then 100% off first bill ,you dont ask you donot get :pac:

• Advertisement

you have a free internet ?!! Marlow tell us please what is your secrets !! :pac::pac:

im curious to see how much is the first bill since it usualy a lot more than normal ,if it 25€ or 40€. either ways vodafone have told me because of the issue with the install of my internet the first month will be free anyway .actually i demanded it,first 50% off then 100% off first bill ,you dont ask you donot get :pac:

There's no secret. Just the usual mess in Vodafones billing department. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not. The same mess, that EIR sometimes can't remember, where they installed their lines :) And no .. I don't have free internet .. but a friend has (until they notice their mistake) and I've got a nice line for testing stuff :p

So wait, sit back and enjoy, if it's less than you expected. If it's more, complain.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Anyone worried about exceeding the FUP, the Fritzbox has a handy meter you can set:

Internet > Online Monitor > Online Meter

egFOcWx.png

No real danger of me exceeding the limit as evidenced by the screenshot, despite the fact I do some large downloads at times (>10GB). This is on the 150Mb package.

i see from the other threads on boards that you can use other router with siro ,but can also use the landlines service ?if so how to configureing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CupawnTae

i see from the other threads on boards that you can use other router with siro ,but can also use the landlines service ?if so how to configureing it ?

There are two options. You can keep the existing router in place and connect a better router to that. In that case you use the phone socket on the Vodafone-supplied router as normal, but all your internet traffic is going through both routers.

The second option is to completely replace the Vodafone router. In that case, you need something (e.g. VoIP phone, SIP ATA, soft phone) that can connect to Vodafone's VoIP service, and then you need Vodafone to give you connection details for this service.

My current issue is I don't know if Vodafone will supply that information. I've posted here a couple of times and sent Vodafone support a message on Facebook trying to figure this out ahead of my broadband install on Monday morning, with a deathly silence so far. I might try calling them today but I don't hold out much hope for getting to talk to someone who actually knows what I'm talking about.

If all else fails, I'll go ahead with the broadband installation on Monday, see what I can figure out then and if I need to cancel during the cooling-off period I'll do that. I'll post here with my findings one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

CupawnTae wrote: »
    There are two options. You can keep the existing router in place and connect a better router to that. In that case you use the phone socket on the Vodafone-supplied router as normal, but all your internet traffic is going through both routers.

The second option is to completely replace the Vodafone router. In that case, you need something (e.g. VoIP phone, SIP ATA, soft phone) that can connect to Vodafone's VoIP service, and then you need Vodafone to give you connection details for this service.

My current issue is I don't know if Vodafone will supply that information. I've posted here a couple of times and sent Vodafone support a message on Facebook trying to figure this out ahead of my broadband install on Monday morning, with a deathly silence so far. I might try calling them today but I don't hold out much hope for getting to talk to someone who actually knows what I'm talking about.

If all else fails, I'll go ahead with the broadband installation on Monday, see what I can figure out then and if I need to cancel during the cooling-off period I'll do that. I'll post here with my findings one way or the other.

I believe in other countries, New Zealand specifically, they have refused to give out the SIP password citing an unwillingness to support third party equipment. I would not be surprised if you got the same response here.

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Requesting-SIP-Settings/m-p/207367

I believe in other countries, New Zealand specifically, they have refused to give out the SIP password citing an unwillingness to support third party equipment. I would not be surprised if you got the same response here.

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Requesting-SIP-Settings/m-p/207367

They don't seem to have problems with third party routers.

However, the quality of SIP-devices and clients varies even more than the quality of routers and it can have a direct impact on the VoIP gateways, if something dodgy is used.

On top of that, SIRO offers wholesale partners 2 ways of doing SIP and TV.

- either best effort, in-band. That would be straight forward to set up.
    - or on a seperate Vlan, which isn't restricted by the limits of the overall connection and hence doesn't get affected by internet traffic. This setup would require, that the SIP session or whatever type of VoIP they are using, has to be originated by the router or a switch with vlan-capabilities has to be placed between the ONT and router.

With Vodafone, chances are very high, that it's the 2nd scenario. And then it's not going to happen to get the credentials.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Getting it’s installed by Vodafone as I speak.

€25 for first 6 months and €60 thereafter (I asked them to include mobile calls which is extra €10 per month after initial 6 month period).

I didn’t know about limit allowances! I’m currentjy with sky and haven’t had any limit issues, would that mean I prob haven’t been hitting that 1tb allowance some people mentioned? I’m a house of 5 with three young boys that only really use Netflix and play a little Star Wars online (no more then hour a day)

Drumpot wrote: »

€25 for first 6 months and €60 thereafter (I asked them to include mobile calls which is extra €10 per month after initial 6 month period).

I didn’t know about limit allowances! I’m currentjy with sky and haven’t had any limit issues, would that mean I prob haven’t been hitting that 1tb allowance some people mentioned? I’m a house of 5 with three young boys that only really use Netflix and play a little Star Wars online (no more then hour a day)
    I think you be fine just set netflix sub HD or SD and since they only game a hour a day you shouldn't hit the 1TB download limit.

Drumpot wrote: »

Sky currently do not have any limits/data caps on their services. Most other providers have a 1tb allowance and 1080p streaming would be fine, however I think streaming 4k Netflix would not be a good idea on Eir/Vodafone and Digiweb's services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So does your internet just stop working if you hit the 1tb?

Advertisement