Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Drumpot wrote: »
    So does your internet just stop working if you hit the 1tb?

of course not ,seemingly Vodafone just reserve right to suspend the service if customer use with more than 1tbs month after month

they not like eircom where you use over 1tbs and they charge you €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Drumpot wrote: »
    So does your internet just stop working if you hit the 1tb?
    no you probably get a warning letter if go over it a few times but you can keep track of what data you use but can't see you hitting 1TB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CupawnTae

So, I got Vodafone SIRO 150Mbps installed this morning.

I successfully connected my Netgear R7000 router directly to the ONT using VLAN ID 10 etc. *but* for some reason I'm getting poor speeds on wi-fi only (60-100Mbps).

If I connect to the router with a cable, I get a rock solid 155Mbps. If I connect the router to my Virgin Media modem (bridged) instead of Vodafone I get 250+ Mbps easily on wi-fi. If I double-NAT through the Vodafone Huawei router, I get rock solid 155Mbps on Wi-Fi.

So the only setup that gives poor speeds is Client <-> Wi-Fi <-> R7000 <-> ONT, and it's absolutely consistent, through multiple clients and going through the various setups multiple times to make sure.

Any theories?

I'm getting poor speeds on wi-fi
    Fixed - seems to have been caused by QoS on the netgear router which was enabled by default. I switched it off and am now getting full speeds.

On the VoIP question, it looks like Marlow was right. I asked a guy on the phone about getting connection details/credentials and was told it wouldn't be possible. Now I don't consider that definitive, but for this and other reasons I'm now probably going to switch to broadband-only and go with a third-party VoIP provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CupawnTae wrote: »
    Fixed - seems to have been caused by QoS on the netgear router which was enabled by default. I switched it off and am now getting full speeds.

If Netgear has different QoS priorities than what Vodafone has on their network, then that can happen alright.
    On the VoIP question, it looks like Marlow was right. I asked a guy on the phone about getting connection details/credentials and was told it wouldn't be possible. Now I don't consider that definitive, but for this and other reasons I'm now probably going to switch to broadband-only and go with a third-party VoIP provider.

If you have signed up for the service, try to connect the Huawei up, log into the configuration and see, if you can see, how they set it up there.

If it uses a different Vlan than 10 for the VoIP service, then you're probably sh!t out of luck. You'll be better of to transfer your number to an independant VoIP provider then.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    try to connect the Huawei up, log into the configuration and see, if you can see, how they set it up there.

That was my plan alright, but somehow they managed to mess something up and the phone service hasn't been provisioned yet. I'm told they'll sort it tomorrow evening.

As it stands I may want to cancel the phone service anyway, but I guess in the name of science I can hold off on that conversation, switch back to the Huawei tomorrow, let them provision the VoIP, *then* find out that I can't see the relevant config without superuser login, and go cancel stuff on Wednesday.

As it stands I may want to cancel the phone service anyway, but I guess in the name of science I can hold off on that conversation, switch back to the Huawei tomorrow, let them provision the VoIP, *then* find out that I can't see the relevant config without superuser login, and go cancel stuff on Wednesday.

Indulge our curiosity :)

You'll have to have the Huawei on there for a while. I guess, they're pushing the config via TR-069, so the bleedin' router needs to be online when they push it.

/M

Indulge our curiosity :)

You'll have to have the Huawei on there for a while. I guess, they're pushing the config via TR-069, so the bleedin' router needs to be online when they push it.

/M

Yup, already switched back. Will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yup, already switched back. Will see what happens.

If it is similar to how eir are doing VoIP all the SIP details will be in the Huawei router settings under Telephony > VoIP

Then all you will need is the SIP password. This guy claims that Asterisk Key will reveal the password from the router. You may have to use Internet Explorer for it to work. I've never tried this software and I can't vouch for it so it is up to yourself if you want to run it on your system.

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Vodafone-SIP-settings/td-p/211910

https://www.passware.com/asterisk/

This guy claims that Asterisk Key will reveal the password from the router.

Looking at a video of that in action, I think it's just retrieving the value of a password field from the web page, which would mean it would be trivial to extract using the browser's dev tools.

However, I tried to use that approach to get the PPPoE password and in fact the password wasn't there at all, the router was actually returning literal asterisks in a read-only input field on the web page, so I had to resort to google to get it.

If the SIP settings/credentials are there they would quite likely be handled in the same way, which would mean Asterisk Key wouldn't work either. But I will have a look later once they get the thing properly provisioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Saw a Siro van doing work in shannon the yesterday.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Saw a Siro van doing work in shannon the yesterday.

It'll be Huawei, Gaeltec, KN etc. that do the initial build.

I'm afraid, the reason you saw a SIRO van there would have been in relation to the Limerick rollout, which is live already. ESBs fiber network towards Dublin comes up from Limerick and down from Ennis and then goes east at Drumline outside Shannon.

Shannon is planned down the line though.

/M

just bought a Google WiFi ,iam hoping it will give me something more than 150Mbs on wifi!

My VoIP was finally provisioned about half an hour ago (while I was in the middle of something, router rebooted without warning, thanks Vodafone).

Nothing useful in terms of VoIP config visible in the web interface. Log shows various SIP parameters being configured, no mention of VLAN ID, but then I've no idea if it would show up in the log or if it would have been preconfigured.
    User ACS(...) modify SIP.AuthPassword; SIP.AuthUserName; SIP.URI; Line.Enable; Line.DirectoryNumber; .

Tried decrypting a config backup file but no joy. Will probably leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

It'll be Huawei, Gaeltec, KN etc. that do the initial build.

I'm afraid, the reason you saw a SIRO van there would have been in relation to the Limerick rollout, which is live already. ESBs fiber network towards Dublin comes up from Limerick and down from Ennis and then goes east at Drumline outside Shannon.

Shannon is planned down the line though.

/M
    I was wondering why I saw an engineer outside the Drumline road yesterday. Would there be any hope they would come that direction in the future being so close to Shannon??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

NikoTopps wrote: »
    just bought a Google WiFi ,iam hoping it will give me something more than 150Mbs on wifi!

I have a Google wifi setup running off SIRO, main node + 2 satellites.

On the main node connected to the router - yes you will get higher speeds, I get the full 360 down over wifi from my Vodafone Siro.

On the satellite nodes, no - not in my experience, anywhere from 100 to 200 down in my setup depending on the node, as it dual band and not a tri band mesh.
    The triband mesh networks have a dedicated band for comms between the satellites and main node (or via each other) which gives slightly improved download speeds.
    I had a linksys velops system(tri band) previous to Google Wifi - 1 main node, 1 satellite and on the satellite I got speeds of 200 to 250 depending on how the system was behaving itself (which was very rare which is why I stopped using it).

I was wondering why I saw an engineer outside the Drumline road yesterday. Would there be any hope they would come that direction in the future being so close to Shannon??

The guy I saw working was actually behind my mothers house which is across the road from the sky court.

talla wrote: »
    I have a Google wifi setup running off SIRO, main node + 2 satellites.

On the main node connected to the router - yes you will get higher speeds, I get the full 360 down over wifi from my Vodafone Siro.

On the satellite nodes, no - not in my experience, anywhere from 100 to 200 down in my setup depending on the node, as it dual band and not a tri band mesh.
    The triband mesh networks have a dedicated band for comms between the satellites and main node (or via each other) which gives slightly improved download speeds.
    I had a linksys velops system(tri band) previous to Google Wifi - 1 main node, 1 satellite and on the satellite I got speeds of 200 to 250 depending on how the system was behaving itself (which was very rare which is why I stopped using it).

this is great to hear,, thanks for say that.it was deliver to the parcel motel depot in Aontroim this morning so i hope to get it by fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was looking at getting the Netgear Orbi myself to extend the wireless through out the house, anyone any experience?

Probably not initially. They've concentrated on urban coverages first.
    The guy I saw working was actually behind my mothers house which is across the road from the sky court.

Lunch, i bet ya :)

/M

• Advertisement

Probably not initially. They've concentrated on urban coverages first.

Lunch, i bet ya :)

/M

He was in what used to be a a load of trees with some long pieces of something.
    I’m not doubting you but I saw him :-)

He was in what used to be a a load of trees with some long pieces of something.
    I’m not doubting you but I saw him :-)

Now you've got me interested. If that used to be a lot of trees, whose site is it ? They usually place their fiber-containers on ESB sites, so near the substation or ESB telecoms sites.

If it was SIRO related and the site belongs to ESB, they could have been measuring things out for exactly that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Probably not directly related to SIRO but it is interesting to see the innovation between Huawei and Vodafone with the development of fibre FANS (fixed access network slicing). Potentially the technology could lead to cooperation between developers of infrastructure to speed up rollouts although that may be too much to ask from our operators.

http://www.huawei.com/en/news/2018/1/Vodafone-and-Huawei-make-Network-Slicing-innovation

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I'm looking out my window at the fibre that ESB has been winding up on the poles outside. My big problem is that my electricity supply is not only above ground, it also seems to go from the pole to my neighbors house and then over to mine. Does this mean I'm screwed for getting SIRO?

tvc15 wrote: »
    I'm looking out my window at the fibre that ESB has been winding up on the poles outside. My big problem is that my electricity supply is not only above ground, it also seems to go from the pole to my neighbors house and then over to mine. Does this mean I'm screwed for getting SIRO?

No. It does not.

Overhead lines are not a problem, as SIRO has an agreement with ESB networks. If the fiber is brought in via an overhead line, it's an ESB network linesman that does the necessary work, where power cables are involved.

The only thing you may have to expect, that an installation that involves ESB networks can take up to 30 days due to the hazzards involved and hence, they take their time to get it right.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Zada

Hi everyone , so i can get vodafone siro at my home , currently with eir fibre , has anyone a review of the siro as im contemplating switching just dont know if there will be much difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

No. It does not.

Overhead lines are not a problem, as SIRO has an agreement with ESB networks. If the fiber is brought in via an overhead line, it's an ESB network linesman that does the necessary work, where power cables are involved.

The only thing you may have to expect, that an installation that involves ESB networks can take up to 30 days due to the hazzards involved and hence, they take their time to get it right.

/M

On closer inspection, while my neighbor (who can get Eir 100mb already) has a direct link to the electricity pole, it look like it may be buried on the way to my house as there is no trunking going into my electricty supply and it comes up from the ground, not overhead. I waited yesrs for Eir dragging their heels to tell me they stop at my neighbors house and I get nothing so I'm prepared for disappointment!

I assume there is no way of knowing if it possible to get connected until they start selling it or is there another way?

tvc15 wrote: »
    On closer inspection, while my neighbor (who can get Eir 100mb already) has a direct link to the electricity pole, it look like it may be buried on the way to my house as there is no trunking going into my electricty supply and it comes up from the ground, not overhead. I waited yesrs for Eir dragging their heels to tell me they stop at my neighbors house and I get nothing so I'm prepared for disappointment!

I assume there is no way of knowing if it possible to get connected until they start selling it or is there another way?

If your house is down as passed, SIRO will connect you. They operate completely differently to OpenEir.

Also, if they run into problems, then everything up to your ESB meter is their task and they will organise whatever is needed to get it done. Obviously complications just result in the process taking a bit longer, but they generally state, that the most it takes to connect somebody from order to finished installation is 30 days. I've seen people installed as quick as 3 days from order to install.

Also, the 100 Mbit/s your neighbor is getting isn't fiber. It's VDSL ... and while the cabinet (somewhere down the road) is fed with fiber, you can't call his line fiber. Eir just do it, because it sounds better for sales.

/M

Zada wrote: »
    Hi everyone , so i can get vodafone siro at my home , currently with eir fibre , has anyone a review of the siro as im contemplating switching just dont know if there will be much difference .

That depends entirely which provider you're with now on OpenEIR (which could be any of these: http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ )

and which provider you are moving to on SIRO (the list can be found here: https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/ )

And when you say Eir Fiber, do you mean VDSL (which is not fiber to the home, but where the DSL cabinet down the road is fiber fed and Eir just calls it "eFibre") or FTTH (which is Fiber all the way and Eir call it "Eir Fibre Extreme") ?

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Lot of work around Beauparc meath ....Im gathering its FTTH any sort of timeframe on completion of these things :D

Advertisement