Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vego wrote: »
    Lot of work around Beauparc meath ....Im gathering its FTTH any sort of timeframe on completion of these things :D

It is due to go live in Spring/Summer 2018. Probably be the latter of those forecasts. Wrong thread by the way. It is nothing to to do with SIRO who are focusing on urban areas. It is Openeir and is being discussed here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Marlow wrote: »
    If your house is down as passed, SIRO will connect you. They operate completely differently to OpenEir.

Also, if they run into problems, then everything up to your ESB meter is their task and they will organise whatever is needed to get it done. Obviously complications just result in the process taking a bit longer, but they generally state, that the most it takes to connect somebody from order to finished installation is 30 days. I've seen people installed as quick as 3 days from order to install.

Also, the 100 Mbit/s your neighbor is getting isn't fiber. It's VDSL ... and while the cabinet (somewhere down the road) is fed with fiber, you can't call his line fiber. Eir just do it, because it sounds better for sales.

/M
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The Siro connection on my road is almost exactly the same. The ports are on the ESB pole which supply the whole road with their ESB connection via cable going to the house directly opposite the pole and then that's passed down along the other houses, same as the original poster. All single storey houses.

My house was and still is down as passed and Siro available since April of last year. I had Vodafone out twice last summer attempting to do an install. The first installers basically took one look at the house and said 'no way will it be getting installed' and off they went with promises that my case would be passed up to their management to try and come up with a solution and were gone within 10 minutes.

When I eventually managed to get some sort of follow up (there were actually no other notes on my case since the original install attempt), the second installer started out the same saying that it wasn't going to be possible, but did spend about half an hour having a look around and discussing possible options including running the cable from the pole and along the neighbours houses following the ESB cable.

I also offered to get some sort of pole put on to the house to give enough headroom so that they could just run the cable directly from the pole to it. Again the installer left with promises that my case would be looked at and that his manager would be in the area the following week and would call in to discuss it with me. Needless to say, no visit.

I eventually got a call from them about a month later to be told that the install wouldn't be possible and I would never be able to get a Siro connection from them!

I really hope you have better luck than me, but my feeling from the whole thing was that if the install is anything other than just running a cable straight from a pole to the house, then they're not remotely interested in even trying to come up with any other kind of solution, even if the householder is willing to pay to do whatever it takes to get the cable in.

(Luckily Virgin went live on my road in December and couldn't have been more helpful and obliging in running their cable exactly where I wanted it in my house.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

kmurph wrote: »

SIRO have done a lot to the process since early last year especially in the terms of escalating things to get the odd ball installs done. Not sure, how well such scenarios work through Vodafone though, but in Wexford you do have other options as well on SIRO.

Obviously you've been sorted, so it doesn't matter to you anymore.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Had it connected today.

Must say, I haven’t noticed much of a difference yet.

Also there appears to be two broadband connections , one of them the higher speed but your man said something to my wife about it not always being better to use the higher speed?!

Also, higher speed one doesn’t seem to show on my PS4 which is odd as it shows on my iPhone!

And higher speed one shows on my laptop in my office but it looks like it’s not as strong a signal as the lower speed one!

Anybody with any experience with this?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Had it connected today.

Must say, I haven’t noticed much of a difference yet.

Also there appears to be two broadband connections , one of them the higher speed but your man said something to my wife about it not always being better to use the higher speed?!

Also, higher speed one doesn’t seem to show on my PS4 which is odd as it shows on my iPhone!

And higher speed one shows on my laptop in my office but it looks like it’s not as strong a signal as the lower speed one!

Anybody with any experience with this?

You are talking about Wifi ? Not the actual connection.

Your SIRO connection has one speed. You'd get the max, when you're wired to the router.

Wifi is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 5 GHz being the faster, but not reaching as far.

And depending with what provider you went with, what package you selected, what router they supplied and what your devices are capable of, you probably never will see much difference on wifi unless you get quality devices and make sure there's nothing interfering with it (other devices, insulation, distance from the router, signal levels)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

The Siro connection on my road is almost exactly the same. The ports are on the ESB pole which supply the whole road with their ESB connection via cable going to the house directly opposite the pole and then that's passed down along the other houses, same as the original poster. All single storey houses.

My house was and still is down as passed and Siro available since April of last year. I had Vodafone out twice last summer attempting to do an install. The first installers basically took one look at the house and said 'no way will it be getting installed' and off they went with promises that my case would be passed up to their management to try and come up with a solution and were gone within 10 minutes.

When I eventually managed to get some sort of follow up (there were actually no other notes on my case since the original install attempt), the second installer started out the same saying that it wasn't going to be possible, but did spend about half an hour having a look around and discussing possible options including running the cable from the pole and along the neighbours houses following the ESB cable.

I also offered to get some sort of pole put on to the house to give enough headroom so that they could just run the cable directly from the pole to it. Again the installer left with promises that my case would be looked at and that his manager would be in the area the following week and would call in to discuss it with me. Needless to say, no visit.

I eventually got a call from them about a month later to be told that the install wouldn't be possible and I would never be able to get a Siro connection from them!

I really hope you have better luck than me, but my feeling from the whole thing was that if the install is anything other than just running a cable straight from a pole to the house, then they're not remotely interested in even trying to come up with any other kind of solution, even if the householder is willing to pay to do whatever it takes to get the cable in.

(Luckily Virgin went live on my road in December and couldn't have been more helpful and obliging in running their cable exactly where I wanted it in my house.)

To be honest, I'm expecting something similar, Virgin go past my door as well, spent a week digging up the place, even asked if we would be willing to have them dig right up to the house in exchange for discounts but despite pleading with them, they won't provide a service even if I pay for connection! Eir are the same.

I'll wait and see, my house is quite tall and close enough to run a direct dedicated line to the pole but my guess is that all 3 providers will be within spitting distance and none of them will agree to connect me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You are talking about Wifi ? Not the actual connection.

Your SIRO connection has one speed. You'd get the max, when you're wired to the router.

Wifi is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 5 GHz being the faster, but not reaching as far.

And depending with what provider you went with, what package you selected, what router they supplied and what your devices are capable of, you probably never will see much difference on wifi unless you get quality devices and make sure there's nothing interfering with it (other devices, insulation, distance from the router, signal levels)

/M

Thanks.

So if I haven’t connected them directly to the router I won’t get the benefit through WiFi?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks.

So if I haven’t connected them directly to the router I won’t get the benefit through WiFi?

Depends on the router, the device, the distance and the insulation in your home. If you had any issues with Wifi before, chances are that that won't change.

Not unless you run a cable or set up a repeater nearer to your device.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

tvc15 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm expecting something similar, Virgin go past my door as well, spent a week digging up the place, even asked if we would be willing to have them dig right up to the house in exchange for discounts but despite pleading with them, they won't provide a service even if I pay for connection! Eir are the same.

I'll wait and see, my house is quite tall and close enough to run a direct dedicated line to the pole but my guess is that all 3 providers will be within spitting distance and none of them will agree to connect me
    That seems odd about Virgin. Is it definitely live in your area yet?

On our street, their cabling was all laid and done by the end of September but didn't go live until December. And as I said, they couldn't have been more obliging in terms of getting the cable into the house and then into the room that I wanted the router in.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

That seems odd about Virgin. Is it definitely live in your area yet?

On our street, their cabling was all laid and done by the end of September but didn't go live until December. And as I said, they couldn't have been more obliging in terms of getting the cable into the house and then into the room that I wanted the router in.

They ran cable on our street about 3 years ago and never came back, some of the estates went live in 2016 but we were forgotten about and now it's a case of computer says no! Would ne less pissed off if they hadn't caused such disruption at the time as well as getting my hopes up!

Anyway, I'll have to sit tight for the next round, how long is the wait between fibre cables being pulled up at the electricity poles and orders being taken for installations?

• Advertisement

tvc15 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll have to sit tight for the next round, how long is the wait between fibre cables being pulled up at the electricity poles and orders being taken for installations?

SIRO announces a launch on their website. About 2 months later, the providers are spliced in. The first homes can then be signed up (those that have been passed). In the meanwhile they continue to build.

So Athlone was launched 1. December. Providers are going live end this week, start next week. Homes have been down as "passed" on the map for about a month. About 30% of Athlone are done.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

SIRO announces a launch on their website. About 2 months later, the providers are spliced in. The first homes can then be signed up (those that have been passed). In the meanwhile they continue to build.

So Athlone was launched 1. December. Providers are going live end this week, start next week. Homes have been down as "passed" on the map for about a month. About 30% of Athlone are done.

/M

It is the very same gere in Naas. It went live in the first week in January and orders are being taken already. However approximately 10% of the town is done with a time frame of a few months for potental completeion. However it seems to be no activity despite this.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Has anyone been able to talk to someone technical at SIRO, my eircode is missing from the database, 'cannot pinpoint' is the error I get when trying the rollout search, and SIRO is in my estate and some neighbors are now with Vodafone, goes as far and past my driveway.

stamjoe wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to talk to someone technical at SIRO, my eircode is missing from the database, 'cannot pinpoint' is the error I get when trying the rollout search, and SIRO is in my estate and some neighbors are now with Vodafone, goes as far and past my driveway.

What's your eircode? You can PM it, if you prefer. I might be able to poke somebody. I know there are records in the SIRO database, that don't even have an eircode. Most providers don't know how to deal with them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

3593942454.png

Vodafone siro using my new BT whole home wifi setup. Had enough of problems roaming around house, disabled wifi on vf modem. Was only getting 200 with wifi on vf modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

A couple of quick questions on the SIRO. I’m currently on the broadband only plan with Vodafone (45 a month I think) and satisfied-ish with it (been a few outages and slowness in the evenings etc). I’m about 50-100m from the exchange/green box on the road. I usually get around 80MB/s down.

A guy called to the door and sure the wife heard SIRO and had to have it. Getting installed next Friday.

Apologies if asked previously.

1. What’s the up time like compared to current broadband? Any slowness in the evenings or many outages etc?

2. Can I bridge the Vodafone router I received like I currently do to my AC68 ASUS router?

3. Can they assign me a static IP over SIRO as I have one currently? What’s the chances of keeping the same IP?

4. Where do they connect from? I have no white box on the side of the house. Is it the internal meter/fuse box?

5. Any issues with torrents using the VF modem/router bridged to my ASUS? Using a VPN anyway on that machine but wanted to check.

Appreciate any info......

SachaJ wrote: »
    1. What’s the up time like compared to current broadband? Any slowness in the evenings or many outages etc?

Generally with FTTH, no. But then again around Letterkenny Vodafone seems to have had troubles while Digiweb had none. So it depends on where you are and which provider you choose.
    2. Can I bridge the Vodafone router I received like I currently do to my AC68 ASUS router?

Why bridge it ? Just replace it. Vodafone will give you the details.
    3. Can they assign me a static IP over SIRO as I have one currently? What’s the chances of keeping the same IP?

Unlikely. And I don't know if they do static IP on SIRO residential products. I know they do it on the business ones.
    4. Where do they connect from? I have no white box on the side of the house. Is it the internal meter/fuse box?

They'll bring it in wherever your ESB meter is and then usually to the nearest double socket.
    5. Any issues with torrents using the VF modem/router bridged to my ASUS? Using a VPN anyway on that machine but wanted to check.

Dunno. Somebody using SIRO on Vodafone may come back to you. Every provider is different.

/M

Thanks, I’m in Drogheda. If there’s no static IP I’ll have to cancel. Best give them a call I guess.

Btw. Thanks, wasn’t aware I could connect the AC68 direct. Takes one device out anyway which is good.

I’ll need it to come in under the stairs where my rack is. A fair bit away from the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

dynamic DNS service no good to you ?

sibergoth wrote: »
    dynamic DNS service no good to you ?

Not really. I’m a freelance web developer so use the IP’s to whitelist certain access to my servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Just had two SIRO lads here doing my install for Digiweb.

Wooosh !

7017212212.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

satguy wrote: »
    Just had two SIRO lads here doing my install for Digiweb.

Wooosh !

7017212212.png

that has to be one of the most impressive speed-tests I've seen in this country. Hopefully one day Eir will upgrade their upload speeds similar to that.

Ran the test again just to make sure, and its getting faster ?

7017357378.png

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I notice a lot of TLI Group staff working (on behalf of SIRO) in the Shannon area at the moment so hopefully won't be too long until available here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Please, f**k off before I get sick :D

Faster than 99% of IE ,, that unknown 1% will keep me awake at night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Faster than 99% of IE ,, that unknown 1% will keep me awake at night...

Probably colleges, etc.. In my college our download is over a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

7017357378.png

How are you getting 0 ping? :eek: Are you located in Dublin? Can you try and test a different server, Galway/London perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably colleges, etc.. In my college our download is over a gig.

HEANET upgraded most big institutions to 10G over the last few years.
    bloodyhawk wrote: »
    How are you getting 0 ping? :eek: Are you located in Dublin? Can you try and test a different server, Galway/London perhaps...

Speedtests methodology can be a bit wonky there but its plausible that one would see about 0.9ms (900000ns) to a very close test server over a low latency hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

ED E wrote: »
    HEANET upgraded most big institutions to 10G over the last few years.

Speedtests methodology can be a bit wonky there but its plausible that one would see about 0.9ms (900000ns) to a very close test server over a low latency hardware.

Bloody hell :D If I got a solid 10Gig in my college you'd never get me out of there...

Advertisement