Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bloody hell :D If I got a solid 10Gig in my college you'd never get me out of there...

If you're in the south take WIT for example.

graph_image.php?local_graph_id=49485&rrd_id=2&graph_start=1516868751&graph_end=1517473551

10Gb circuit, peaks at 700Mb usage. The college infrastructure cant really provide access at those speeds so its unused. Same country wide really. Eventually the colleges will get AC APs for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    How are you getting 0 ping? :eek: Are you located in Dublin? Can you try and test a different server, Galway/London perhaps...

When I use my sons PC in his room I get 4 MS ping.
    But on this PC connected to the Fritzbox with Cat6a lead I seem to get 0 ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

While we're talking about pings, I've been running some tests since my Digiweb 150Mb was installed:

5DzH2sN.png

Link is rock solid, no packet loss, the odd latency blip to RTE, perhaps due to maintenance on Digiweb's INEX links or whatever.

Cerdito wrote: »
    While we're talking about pings, I've been running some tests since my Digiweb 150Mb was installed:

5DzH2sN.png

Link is rock solid, no packet loss, the odd latency blip to RTE, perhaps due to maintenance on Digiweb's INEX links or whatever.

With what Im currently looking at that is glorious. Very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

Cerdito wrote: »

5DzH2sN.png

What does that run on? I love graphs!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »

Looks like SmokePing. It only runs on Unix type OSes though.

https://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

digiman wrote: »

Looks like SmokePing. It only runs on Unix type OSes though.

https://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

That's right, it's Smokeping on a raspberry pi cabled direct into my router

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

ED E wrote: »
    If you're in the south take WIT for example.

graph_image.php?local_graph_id=49485&rrd_id=2&graph_start=1516868751&graph_end=1517473551

10Gb circuit, peaks at 700Mb usage. The college infrastructure cant really provide access at those speeds so its unused. Same country wide really. Eventually the colleges will get AC APs for students.

Yeah I'm in WIT. On the lab computers we get around the 1Gbps but the wifi we'd be lucky to get 20Mbps. But to think they have 10Gbps and most of it is unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yeah I'm in WIT. On the lab computers we get around the 1Gbps but the wifi we'd be lucky to get 20Mbps. But to think they have 10Gbps and most of it is unused.

It's not unused. They probably use it for offsite backups and while you'd only get 1 Gbit/s it only takes 10 people running a massive task to max it out.

Aggregated the traffic would probably be near 40-50% usage and when they hit 80% they upgrade.

That's also common practice with ISPs. You don't want to upgrade your network every year. Properly managed, you'd make 2-3 years contracts to get lower pricing. So you have to plan ahead on how much peak traffic you'll hit in that timeframe and then add 20% as a buffer.

/M

The providers in Athlone have been spliced in this week. SIRO is now live here.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Marlow wrote: »
    The providers in Athlone have been spliced in this week. SIRO is now live here.

/M

Any idea of how far out of town it covers?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Any idea of how far out of town it covers?

Meh .. they haven't updated the map.

West out as far as Bellanamulla. North as far as Clonbrusk and Blyry. East as far as Kilmartins and South as far as Crannagh, Golden Island and Kilmacuagh.

Approx 2500 of 8000 homes total passed, so they've still got to cover another 70%. Best to check with the providers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Bloody hell :D If I got a solid 10Gig in my college you'd never get me out of there...
    They split it up, so you never would. You can however get some very tasty upload speeds in the evening.

Marlow wrote: »
    It's not unused.

Tis Marlow. I know of "top 4" institutions that have 1Gb hardware behind the 10Gb uplink all the way down. Even their "DC" is all dual 1G.

It will be used in future, but isn't presently.

ED E wrote: »
    Tis Marlow. I know of "top 4" institutions that have 1Gb hardware behind the 10Gb uplink all the way down. Even their "DC" is all dual 1G.

It will be used in future, but isn't presently.

Could be. But those are long term contracts. So obviously ordered as part of a tender with future upgrades in mind.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Now slightly over a month since the siro site said it's available at my home and there are still no providers listed. Slightly frustrating.

I think they should only say available when at least one carrier is also available.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Praetorian wrote: »
    Now slightly over a month since the siro site said it's available at my home and there are still no providers listed. Slightly frustrating.

I think they should only say available when at least one carrier is also available.

I mailed Siro a few weeks back as my address was showing as available and not providers. Was told it was an error with their DB and that the service hasn't yet launched in Balbriggan. They were going to correct the error.

Praetorian wrote: »

The problem is I'm still seeing crews working in my estate from time to time. I'd say they are still testing and dealing with problems. I don't know whether they wait another month after testing is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Anyone got any timeframes for the Balbriggan rollout?
    I'm on the outskirts, with my own EBS supply - 2 poles originally installed off the nearest line, and then ducted in closer to the house - will this affect whether Siro will be an option for me in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

thos wrote: »
    Anyone got any timeframes for the Balbriggan rollout?
    I'm on the outskirts, with my own EBS supply - 2 poles originally installed off the nearest line, and then ducted in closer to the house - will this affect whether Siro will be an option for me in the future?

I honestly think you don't have much hope. They are going for low hanging fruit, ie large estates, and skipping even estates with 80+ houses that they pass right by.

• Advertisement

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    Hi Thos,

Try http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ click on "View the Map" and see if your house is noted on the plan.
    Don't. That's Eir not SIRO.

Latest Roll out news

Services have recently gone live in Athlone, Finglas, Kilkenny, Tyrellstown and also in a new development, Clay Farm in Leopardstown, Dublin 18. Services due to go live within the coming weeks in Swords and Balbriggan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after spotting this on Digiweb's website. Not sure if this has been posted before but looks like my home town of Dunshaughlin is on a future Siro plan. It probably won't effect me as I am 2 km from the urban boundary.

SIRO is currently being rolled out across regional Ireland. Electric Broadband is available now in the greater Dublin area, Finglas, Tyrellstown, Mallow, Carrigaline, Naas, Carlow, Limerick, Letterkenny, Dundalk, Drogheda, Laytown, Mornington, Bettystown, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Tralee, Castlebar, Westport and Clay Farm.

Future roll out towns include: Sligo, Wexford, Mullingar, Athlone & Kilkenny, Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth/Kilcock, Ongar, Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne, Rathoath, Clonee and Carrickmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They have a list of live towns which still aren't live. I don't think Mallow is live yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the future towns list that I posted above, I haven't seen that list before. It happens to be listed on Digiweb's website, they must have updated it very recently.

Most of the towns listed are close enough to Dublin with a big push in Meath and Kildare. Probably be at least 2019 before most of them get started.

I think this is more accurate.....

https://siro.ie/roll-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wouldn't trust that as being up to date either, there's a lot of work after taking place in Mallow so it's far from planned

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Nothing concrete, no. Nothing new has been added in the latest "premises passed" file from last Thursday.

2 months on, any news of planned additions in Castlebar Paul?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

2 months on, any news of planned additions in Castlebar Paul?

We don't get to hear about plans, I'm afraid - we get told about premises available to order at the same time as the other resellers.

There haven't been any significant additions in Castlebar recently, and just a few estates in Westport. I'd love to see a lot more come online, but I just don't have any visibility on future rollout plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I live in the Centre of Dundalk. Went and ordered the 350mbps with Digiweb on 4/1/18, had installers call out on 11/1 and 17/1 and I’m still waiting on installation due to the need for an overhead cable from ESB, very frustrating. Shouldn’t be taking this long surely.

Advertisement