Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cournioni wrote: »
    I live in the Centre of Dundalk. Went and ordered the 350mbps with Digiweb on 4/1/18, had installers call out on 11/1 and 17/1 and I’m still waiting on installation due to the need for an overhead cable from ESB, very frustrating. Shouldn’t be taking this long surely.

Sounds a bit long-drawn. Generally, it's within 30 days for completion, when an ESB linesman is needed. They've must been very busy with repairs (on the powerlines) elsewhere.

/M

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Marlow wrote: »
    Sounds a bit long-drawn. Generally, it's within 30 days for completion, when an ESB linesman is needed. They've must been very busy with repairs (on the powerlines) elsewhere.

/M
    Yeah, I’ve been trying to get some sort of answer out of Digiweb but the goalposts seem to be moving further away each time I speak to them. I understand it isn’t an easy process with so many parties involved but it’s taking the piss a bit at this stage.

Another thing on Digiweb, they don’t offer internal connections whereas Vodafone do? Is this internal wiring in the house from entry (say front of house) to modem (back of house)?

cournioni wrote: »
    Another thing on Digiweb, they don’t offer internal connections whereas Vodafone do? Is this internal wiring in the house from entry (say front of house) to modem (back of house)?

Generally, it's from the ESB meter to the next double socket. It depends a bit on the installer. You can always run cat5e/cat6 cabling from the ONT to where you need it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Who does the Siro install,is it ESB or a Third pary working for Vodaphone,Digiweb etc?

booterboy wrote: »
    Who does the Siro install,is it ESB or a Third pary working for Vodaphone,Digiweb etc?

A contractor on behalf of SIRO. Usually Actavo.

However, when it's an overhead line, then all the work on the powerlines has to be done by an ESB networks linesman.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Two part installs = a big feckin mess. See: Sky VDSL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wonder whats going to happen when you switch your siro connection to a new vendor out of contract. Will it be a seemless plug out and in box?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ONT is just being mapped to a new retail provider and modem changes to match. Should be a case of receiving new unit, waiting for the old to fail to connect (red light) and pop the new one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Nearly two weeks now since my install here in Portlaoise, we had one mishap (got a kink in the line) but it was a quick fix for the SIRO guy that came out to sort it.

All back now, all still good.

7057747240.png

Still a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

ED E wrote: »
    ONT is just being mapped to a new retail provider and modem changes to match. Should be a case of receiving new unit, waiting for the old to fail to connect (red light) and pop the new one in.

Yes digiweb confirmed this and said they already switched customers, no site visit needed

• Advertisement

Mgit wrote: »
    Yes digiweb confirmed this and said they already switched customers, no site visit needed

Yeah. Provider swap is straight forward. Usually within 24 hours.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ireland has finally made it onto the FTTH Council's ranking list!

https://twitter.com/FTTHCouncilEU/status/964060526513983488

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

satguy wrote: »
    Nearly two weeks now since my install here in Portlaoise, we had one mishap (got a kink in the line) but it was a quick fix for the SIRO guy that came out to sort it.

All back now, all still good.

7057747240.png

Still a happy camper

Impressive, esp the ping.

My ping is 5-7mS......also on a 1Gig service. What determines that? Is it related to the Backhaul to the ISP.....? Whether that be Voda/Digicel or whoever?
    As the OLT/ONT should be the same for everyone and we all know the OLTs are not particularly loaded right now(I think Siro said in Nov/Dec that they had 40K homes connected as opposed to homes passed)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ireland has finally made it onto the FTTH Council's ranking list!

https://twitter.com/FTTHCouncilEU/status/964060526513983488

Incredible that some poorer countries like Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus are miles ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Bray. Letter in door last Sunday and guy called (missed him but he'll be back) to door today. Works over the next month or so. From experience of others on thread should I not expect anything til April or so realistically?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Incredible that some poorer countries like Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus are miles ahead of us.

it's great that Ireland has finally made the list but it would be nice to have at least 10% on FTTH. One thing holding us back aside from the rural problem is cable broadband such as Virgin Media does not get counted even tho it can be as fast as FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

I noticed small SIRO van driving out of estate in Shannon while out for walk this morning. Might be living local. Also here Eir sales reps in Eir van out and about, don't know what their selling

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Digiweb rang me the other day advising the estates in Balbriggan, as shown on https://siro.ie/address-lookup-result/, are up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

tv221 wrote: »
    I noticed small SIRO van driving out of estate in Shannon while out for walk this morning. Might be living local. Also here Eir sales reps in Eir van out and about, don't know what their selling

Yeah there is a lot of SIRO installation work (TLI Group) going on in Shannon at the moment but I imagine it will be some months yet before it is available for use.

tv221 wrote: »

SIRO does not sell to anybody apart from their wholesale partners. SIRO vans are typically engineers, that work for SIRO.

Eir (retail .. opposed to OpenEIR) sells anything ... phonelines, ISDN, DSL, FTTC (VDSL), FTTH .. your granny :) .. .at least the alarm system sales guys have different branding these days.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    Digiweb rang me the other day advising the estates in Balbriggan, as shown on https://siro.ie/address-lookup-result/, are up and running
    Vodaphone were saying that before Christmas. They are probably pre-booking customers. I'm waiting on Sky's offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

I'll be doing the same, rather than having Digiweb do a stand alone package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Siro mailed me to say mid February. That has been and gone. I asked them for an update but no reply. It's great to see them rolling out all over the country, but some of it has been badly managed.

Hoping for 100% confirmation on availability soon and an install date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I had siro installed today at a clients premises today, couple of points...

The actavo lads turned up on time and were gone within 45 minutes. Job done.

The service is with Westnet. The customer service from Westnet has been exceptional from the ordering of the service to a small technical problem after the installation (caused by me). Customer is paying €45 for the 150/30 package and it is speed testing at 159/29 with as expected very low pings. Westnet are also one of the few companies to offer a truly unlimited service (not that this customer will get anywhere near the 1tb the other ISPs offer)

The router Westnet supplied is a fritzbox 4040. It was my first time using a fritzbox and I have to say its an excellent bit of kit. Its enterprise class compared to the stuff Eir and Vodafone give out. Simple to use but very powerful if you want to go deeper into the settings. Lots of freedom with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same price as digiweb. Vodafone are dear for same package with a crap router

The router Westnet supplied is a fritzbox 4040. It was my first time using a fritzbox and I have to say its an excellent bit of kit. Its enterprise class compared to the stuff Eir and Vodafone give out. Simple to use but very powerful if you want to go deeper into the settings. Lots of freedom with it.

Little fun fact about that router: While it's not the version with analog ports and DECT capability, it still has all the VoIP functionality, the same as the other Fritz!Box routers.

If you install the Fritz! Fon App on for example an Android handset, connect it to said Fritz!Box 4040, all the VoIP menus will get enabled and you can use it has a VoIP phonesystem with voicemail etc.

It'll be able to act as VoIP phonesystem for up to 10 SIP devices.

Nevermind all the other features, that the Eir and Vodafone routers don't have .. (parental controls etc., etc.)

/M

I had siro installed today at a clients premises today, couple of points...

The actavo lads turned up on time and were gone within 45 minutes. Job done.

The service is with Westnet. The customer service from Westnet has been exceptional from the ordering of the service to a small technical problem after the installation (caused by me). Customer is paying €45 for the 150/30 package and it is speed testing at 159/29 with as expected very low pings. Westnet are also one of the few companies to offer a truly unlimited service (not that this customer will get anywhere near the 1tb the other ISPs offer)

What kind of ping times are you getting? I’m getting about 6-7mS.......I find that when running a Speedtest, it starts a bit slowly and then accelerates to 1Gig.......so not as immediate as I expected.......obviously on a wired connection, just wondering about others experience with it

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ctlsleh wrote: »
    What kind of ping times are you getting? I’m getting about 6-7mS.......
    It's going to depend to a large extent on what you ping. It's a round-trip time, so pinging things that are far away will take longer than pinging things that are close by.
    I find that when running a Speedtest, it starts a bit slowly and then accelerates to 1Gig.......so not as immediate as I expected.......obviously on a wired connection, just wondering about others experience with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_congestion_control#Slow_start

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's going to depend to a large extent on what you ping. It's a round-trip time, so pinging things that are far away will take longer than pinging things that are close by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_congestion_control#Slow_start

Thanks OB, I’m selecting my ISP on the speedtest, which is based in the West.......it’s better than the 13mS I had on VDSL, but thought it would be faster........thanks for the background on TCP......while downloads are certainly faster, I don’t see any huge difference in general browsing/email/work applications that I thought I would.........

Also while I wanted to try the 1Gig service, I think I’ll wind back to 350Mb when I renew as the reality of 802.11ac, is that I’ll max out at around the 350Mb anyway based on the limitations of the clients.......

Just wondering if others have experienced the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

With Digiweb the Router they gave me was the FritzBox 7560.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/

The Frtiz Fon app was first things I installed on my Android phone, it works great, might even save you money over time.

I was with VM on 360 down with their virgin media hub 3.0, but the Fritzbox is just so much better.
    VM said they wont bother calling out to collect it, so I it connected up in the other room and use it as a gigabit 4 port switch, its handy and keeps my old wireless running in tandem with the one from the Fritxbox. I have the printer connected into one of the ports, it works fine.

Advertisement