Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Thanks OB, I’m selecting my ISP on the speedtest, which is based in the West.......it’s better than the 13mS I had on VDSL, but thought it would be faster........thanks for the background on TCP......while downloads are certainly faster, I don’t see any huge difference in general browsing/email/work applications that I thought I would.........

Also while I wanted to try the 1Gig service, I think I’ll wind back to 350Mb when I renew as the reality of 802.11ac, is that I’ll max out at around the 350Mb anyway based on the limitations of the clients.......

Just wondering if others have experienced the same

Ping times very much depend on the provider, what upstream they use, but can also be affected by the router you're using.

Also the ping times in the speedtests can be off at times. So a ping in command-line to a known entity/server is what you should be using to compare.

There is no problem 802.11ac archiving higher speeds. I've done tests with mobile phones on lets say the Fritz!Box 7560 and seen 450 Mbit/s on a Samsung Galaxy S5 and 560 Mbit/s on a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Yes, if you're a single user, then 350 or 600 Mbit/s will be plenty for you. It depends on what upload speeds you're looking for. I for one would personally still order the GigE FTTH because of the 200 Mbit/s upload (opposed to 70 Mbit/s on the 350). But that's just a personal preference.

Obviously, with multiple users in the house, the higher speeds make more sense. With a single user, maybe less.

Also .. providers will let you change packages while in contract. There might be a charge, but that's about it.
    satguy wrote: »
    With Digiweb the Router they gave me was the FritzBox 7560.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/

The Frtiz Fon app was first things I installed on my Android phone, it works great, might even save you money over time.

I was with VM on 360 down with their virgin media hub 3.0, but the Fritzbox is just so much better.
    VM said they wont bother calling out to collect it, so I it connected up in the other room and use it as a gigabit 4 port switch, its handy and keeps my old wireless running in tandem with the one from the Fritxbox. I have the printer connected into one of the ports, it works fine.

There's a massive quality difference between a SIRO based provider (with a decent router like the Fritz!Box) and VM. VM uses DSlite to share IPv4 addresses between customers ... which affects the quality of the service. And they filter. So yes .... that's normal, that you'd see a much better connection with your setup.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

So would love ftth, but checking my eircode it says not available in your town, check the House 10 metres across the road it's available, only telephone poles on my side of the road, does this mean I'm doomed until eir finally install?

Really wouldn't understand why it shouldn't be available because the ESB poles are the side of the street.

JamboMac wrote: »
    So would love ftth, but checking my eircode it says not available in your town, check the House 10 metres across the road it's available, only telephone poles on my side of the road, does this mean I'm doomed until eir finally install?

Really wouldn't understand why it shouldn't be available because the ESB poles are the side of the street.

SIRO ? What town ? I've seen this happening some times. Can be fixed though.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    SIRO ? What town ? I've seen this happening some times. Can be fixed though.

/M

Finglas in Dublin.

Finglas in Dublin.

I'm not even sure, how much of Finglas has been released to the providers serving it. You can try to email info@siro.ie and raise your concern.

They tend to be responsive enough.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Finglas in Dublin.

If it can be done the SIRO guys will get it done..

When you see how much has been done in such a short time, someone, somewhere, deserves a pat on the back.

See here to see how it could have gone.

satguy wrote: »
    See here to see how it could have gone.

Well .... that clearly went down .... under ...

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Well .... that clearly went down .... under ...

/M

Here where I live, ( Portlaoise ), I have access to 3 very fast networks.

eir FTTH
    Siro FTTH
    VM 360 down 30 up ( rumored to be capable of 800 down )

And then there is eir vdsl network, that is FTTC and can do 100 down 20 up.
    This "old" eir network is open to SKY, Vodafone, and so on.
    Not too bad for a smallish town in the Midlands.

More niggles from down under HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Ping times very much depend on the provider, what upstream they use, but can also be affected by the router you're using.

Also the ping times in the speedtests can be off at times. So a ping in command-line to a known entity/server is what you should be using to compare.

There is no problem 802.11ac archiving higher speeds. I've done tests with mobile phones on lets say the Fritz!Box 7560 and seen 450 Mbit/s on a Samsung Galaxy S5 and 560 Mbit/s on a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Yes, if you're a single user, then 350 or 600 Mbit/s will be plenty for you. It depends on what upload speeds you're looking for. I for one would personally still order the GigE FTTH because of the 200 Mbit/s upload (opposed to 70 Mbit/s on the 350). But that's just a personal preference.

Obviously, with multiple users in the house, the higher speeds make more sense. With a single user, maybe less.

Also .. providers will let you change packages while in contract. There might be a charge, but that's about it.

There's a massive quality difference between a SIRO based provider (with a decent router like the Fritz!Box) and VM. VM uses DSlite to share IPv4 addresses between customers ... which affects the quality of the service. And they filter. So yes .... that's normal, that you'd see a much better connection with your setup.

/M
    DSlite is an IPv6 address with limited functions it's not full IPv6
    If your Virgin Hub router is using Dslite IPv6 address you can request virgin media put you back on a public IPv4 address

If your Virgin Hub is on IPv4 address you will have option of Modem Mode
    You also need to make sure Virgin Media Wi-free is disabled on your Virgin Media account to use Modem Mode
    Modem Mode is only available on the Virgin Hub 3 Router (Compal Modem / Hub 3.0)

If your Virgin Hub is on a DSlite IPv6 address you wont see option of Modem mode
    Port forwarding works if your on a IPv4 address it won't work if your on a Dslite Ipv6 address

Best option with the Virgin Media Hub is use Modem Mode with your own wireless router of your choice

Modem Mode just turns the Virgin Hub into a modem only and your own wireless router of your choice does all the routing and wireless functions including advanced router settings that your router is capable off
    You have much better control of your broadband when using your own wireless router.
    What you want to spend is upto the user depending on what features you want from a router
    I use an Asus AC wireless router it does all the functions of my broadband

Just make sure Virgin Media have you on a IPv4 address and you have Wifi Free disabled they will put you back on a IPv4 address if you ask them

You can check this in admin setting on your Virgin router to see if your on a IPv4 address or Dslite IPv6 address
    You can also use https://www.whatismyip.com/ or use https://test-ipv6.com/ to check

paulboland wrote: »
    DSlite is an IPv6 address with limited functions it's not full IPv6
    If your Virgin Hub router is using Dslite IPv6 address you can request virgin media put you back on a public IPv4 address

Errh ... Wrong ... you have the the other way around.
    Dual-Stack Lite technology does not involve allocating an IPv4 address to customer-premises equipment (CPE) for providing Internet access. It is described in RFC 6333. The CPE distributes private IPv4 addresses for the LAN clients, according to the networking requirement in the local area network. The CPE encapsulates IPv4 packets within IPv6 packets. The CPE uses its global IPv6 connection to deliver the packet to the ISP's Carrier-grade NAT (CGN), which has a global IPv4 address. The original IPv4 packet is recovered and NAT is performed upon the IPv4 packet and is routed to the public IPv4 Internet. The CGN uniquely identifies traffic flows by recording the CPE public IPv6 address, the private IPv4 address, and TCP or UDP port number as a session

It's full fledged IPv6. IPv4 then gets encapsulated in IPv4 and IPv4 address Carrier-grade NAT'd (CG-NAT) at the provider. A couple subscribers share the same IPv4 address. The IPv6 addresses are unique.

And as things move forward, you will soon not be able to move back to have your unique IPv4 address with the larger providers .. especially Virgin.

The IPv4 address pool was depleted in Europe in September 2012. No more addresses to be got for providers. Finito, empty, done, finished.

Disabling IPv6 will get you left with broken internet in the future.

/M

• Advertisement

Errh ... Wrong ... you have the the other way around.

It's full fledged IPv6. IPv4 then gets encapsulated in IPv4 and IPv4 address Carrier-grade NAT'd (CG-NAT) at the provider. A couple subscribers share the same IPv4 address. The IPv6 addresses are unique.

And as things move forward, you will soon not be able to move back to have your unique IPv4 address with the larger providers .. especially Virgin.

The IPv4 address pool was depleted in Europe in September 2012. No more addresses to be got for providers. Finito, empty, done, finished.

Disabling IPv6 will get you left with broken internet in the future.

/M
    You need to re-read my post

I'm on a Public IPv4 address on my Virgin Hub it's not Dslite
    I also have modem mode on the hub and use it
    All devices in my home access the internet using my Asus Ac3200 wireless router and all router functions including security is controlled by my Asus Wireless Router

Modem mode means virgin hub just a modem only providing a IPv4 address to the wireless router of your choice

Virgin Media use IPv4 and Dslite IPv6
    Some customers yes are on Dslite IPv6
    All they have to do to have IPv4 address is ask virgin to change them from Dslite IPv6 to IPv4 address

When you are on a Dslite IPv6 address the Virgin Hub is listed as been on a IPv6 address you also don't have access to port forwarding or Modem Mode

Customers can be put on a Ipv4 address if they ask virgin to do this putting the Virgin Hub on a IPv4 address

You get more options in the virgin hub then including port forwarding and option of modem mode but you need Wifi free disabled for that to work

Modem Mode is not available if your Virgin Hub is on a Dslite IPv6 address

You can easily tell when a customer Virgin Hub is using Dslite Ipv6 address
    The admin settings will list an IPv6 address and the Firewall settings will also be IPv6

DSlite is IPv6 address is limited as in no port forwarding

Customers don't share the same IPv4 address with Virgin Media

Any customers who are on Dslite IPv6 address that want port forwarding and modem mode on the virgin hub 3 all they have to do is request be put back on a IPv4 address
    You also need Wifree disabled on your account so you can use modem mode

DSlite is IPv6 address is limited as in no port forwarding

This is where you don't understand, what DSLite is and what I'm trying to understand.

There is NO SUCH THING as DSLite IPv6.

You are not meant to port-forward or NAT IPv6 ... ever. You have not even grasped the concept.

Every host inside your own network gets a public IPv6 address. There is no need for port-forwarding. Ever.

DSLite is a function, that allows for IPv4 backwards compatibility. And yes, you can't port-forward anything on IPv4 because you don't have a pubic IPv4 address of your own. That's exactly what I pointed out.

And the fact is, that they'll be going away from giving public IPv4 out to customers, because they simply don't have enough addresses. Eventually you won't be able to switch back.

/M

This is where you don't understand, what DSLite is and what I'm trying to understand.

There is NO SUCH THING as DSLite IPv6.

You are not meant to port-forward or NAT IPv6 ... ever. You have not even grasped the concept.

Every host gets a public IPv6 address. There is no need for port-forwarding. Ever.

DSLite is a function, that allows for IPv4 backwards compatibility. And yes, you can't port-forward anything on IPv4 because you don't have a pubic IPv4 address of your own. That's exactly what I pointed out.

And the fact is, that they'll be going away from giving public IPv4 out to customers, because they simply don't have enough addresses. Eventually you won't be able to switch back.

/M

Any customer that's wants IPv4 address can request instead of been on Dslite

Why do you think there has been a lot of requests be taken of Dslite and put on IPv4 address

Your not limited if your on IPv4 address with the Virgin Hub and using modem mode also gives you added option to have full control with your own wireless router

Customers Virgin Hubs with an IPv4 address their virgin hub is not using Dslite

Virgin Media at some stage will provide Full Dual Stack providing both IPv4 and IPv6

Any customer that's wants IPv4 address can request instead of been on Dslite

Right now, they can. And only if they know this. In the future, that option will disappear and already has in other countries, where Virgin is present. Because of the shortage of IPv4 addresses.

But even if you switch from DSLite to fully fledged IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack, you're still hampered and seeing degraded quality because of them filtering in their network.

Point was though, that your idea of what DSLite is was completely wrong.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TBH DSLite is a minor inconvenience.

Their CPE is the big issue. The hub is a single low clocked atom CPU that has to handle ~2.5Gbps of traffic. Moronic (anyone wanna start an EU legal suit like Arris' US customers?).

ED E wrote: »
    TBH DSLite is a minor inconvenience.

Their CPE is the big issue. The hub is a single low clocked atom CPU that has to handle ~2.5Gbps of traffic. Moronic (anyone wanna start an EU legal suit like Arris' US customers?).

Depends on the clock speed of course. But with NAT'ing, a single core MIPS cpu at 600 MHz is barely enough for 350 MBit/s.

With a Dual-core 1.4 GHz Arm you'll handle about 800 Mbit/s.

For a Gbit/s CPU, a quad-core 1.4 GHz Arm.

Now .. a lot of trickery can be done with offloading traffic to the switch fabric in some of the network CPUs. But a single core Atom CPU certainly won't be up to the task. Especially when it has a sh*tload of other bits and pieces to do.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Praetorian wrote: »
    Siro mailed me to say mid February. That has been and gone. I asked them for an update but no reply. It's great to see them rolling out all over the country, but some of it has been badly managed.

Hoping for 100% confirmation on availability soon and an install date.
    Well just heard that Virgin Media have made the connection to my address, so SIRO have been beaten to the punch here and seemed to need to do a lot less duck work. The estate was ducted for TV so that must explain the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

KOR101 wrote: »
    Well just heard that Virgin Media have made the connection to my address, so SIRO have been beaten to the punch here and seemed to need to do a lot less duck work. The estate was ducted for TV so that must explain the difference.

Virgin were supposed to cable up our estate but never did. I may have been the only person on my road that gave them permission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

Little fun fact about that router: While it's not the version with analog ports and DECT capability, it still has all the VoIP functionality, the same as the other Fritz!Box routers.

If you install the Fritz! Fon App on for example an Android handset, connect it to said Fritz!Box 4040, all the VoIP menus will get enabled and you can use it has a VoIP phonesystem with voicemail etc.

It'll be able to act as VoIP phonesystem for up to 10 SIP devices.

Nevermind all the other features, that the Eir and Vodafone routers don't have .. (parental controls etc., etc.)

/M

Hi Marlow

Can I then plug an analogue phone into the Fritzbox and start using it to make calls? Or do I need to set up via a paid third party VoIP provider in order to do this?

sibersha wrote: »
    Hi Marlow

Can I then plug an analogue phone into the Fritzbox and start using it to make calls? Or do I need to set up via a paid third party VoIP provider in order to do this?

The 4040 has no analogue port. So all you can do is connect it to a third party VoIP provider and then connect VoIP devices to it.

You'd need a 7560 to use analogue phones.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lots of ESB crews and alltec vans around Mallow this week including in manholes in estates. Lot of work in main street

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Has anyone had SIRO move the incoming ONT point to a different place in the house? Previous owners of this house had it in the living room, I now want it on the office (not interested in Wireless / Powerline solutions!). Techs just reused the old point when they installed it, and that that stage CAT6 cabling seemed easier but it turns out my walls are solid.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Has anyone had SIRO move the incoming ONT point to a different place in the house? Previous owners of this house had it in the living room, I now want it on the office (not interested in Wireless / Powerline solutions!). Techs just reused the old point when they installed it, and that that stage CAT6 cabling seemed easier but it turns out my walls are solid.

Most companies will state that any internal would have to be done by an electrician at your own cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Most companies will state that any internal would have to be done by an electrician at your own cost.

An electrician could not move it though as it may need splicing if extra cable is required or they may want to run a whole new run to avoid joins in the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

ONT can't really be relocated as the incoming fibre cable will have been cut at the exterior point of entry.
    It's a cat 6 run or asking for a new fibre cable to be pulled in.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had a similar problem, I talked to siro and Vodafone multiple times in store online on the phone, even got blocked on twitter by them.

In the end a door to door salesman had me signed up in 2 minutes.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

SIRO have passed new data to the providers.

In Athlone they've enabled areas around Ashdale, Meadowbrook, Priory Park, Willow Park, Woodland Grove, Thornbury Drive and a few along the Roscommon Road. About 200 premises passed.

In Limerick over 1000 new premises were added.

Portlaoise just over 80 new premises.

Martin, Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BoB_DoG

Hi,
    (So this thread is 4 years old and has 308 pages that I dont want to thrawl through! Hoping someone can give some advice :))
    We are in Wexford Town, currently with Eir. Getting 5-6 Mb download, 0.2-0.3 Mb upload. Rang up and that is the maximum our line can get it seems. Not happy paying €50 per month for that. Having said that, it seems to be 100% reliable, never down. Just not good enough for streaming video and gaming at the same time. And uploading video/photos, forget about it.

Checked this morning and we can get Rocket Broadband to put in Siro broadband, up to 1000 Mb download.

My questions,
    1) Is Siro reliable like regular phoneline broadband? I understand it comes through ESB lines rather than phoneline.
    2) Are the quoted speeds attained? Will I see 750-900mb download if I get 1000 mb package?

Anything else I should know about??
    (Sorry if this has been asked before!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BoB_DoG wrote: »
    My questions,
    1) Is Siro reliable like regular phoneline broadband? I understand it comes through ESB lines rather than phoneline.
    2) Are the quoted speeds attained? Will I see 750-900mb download if I get 1000 mb package?

1) You dont understand. It doesnt use the power lines at all, just hung on their poles. It should be more reliable than ADSL (that you have) Note: involves drilling walls

2) If you have to ask, dont get the 1000Mb package. Only a desktop computer with a good network interface (not some 8yo Dell) will manage 1Gig down. The 150Mb package is plenty for 99.5% of homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BoB_DoG

ED E wrote: »
    1) You dont understand. It doesnt use the power lines at all, just hung on their poles. It should be more reliable than ADSL (that you have) Note: involves drilling walls

2) If you have to ask, dont get the 1000Mb package. Only a desktop computer with a good network interface (not some 8yo Dell) will manage 1Gig down. The 150Mb package is plenty for 99.5% of homes.

Lol, Im a dummy! Ok using ESB poles makes more sense now!
    I do have a gaming PC, few years old now but could at least manage 1Gb I think. That might be with a wired connection though. Play on PS4 as well. 150mb is plenty for sure though.

Are the speeds generally close to 150 Mb though? I've never had broadband that has exceeded about half of what is been sold to me!
    Anyone have experience in dealing with Skytel/Rocket Broadband?

Advertisement