Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming Rocket arent total idiots, expect 90-100% of the package.

See below:
    satguy wrote: »
    On Siro in Portlaoise.

Server, Digiweb, Dublin
    7060682715.png

Server, Vodafone, Dublin
    7060689157.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BoB_DoG

Okie dokie, Ill give them a shot I think. Hopefully itll be easy to get out of the Eir contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BoB_DoG wrote: »
    Okie dokie, Ill give them a shot I think. Hopefully itll be easy to get out of the Eir contract!

If you're lucky enough to be out of contract, you can port over. Siro, or their agents will handle all of that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

BoB_DoG wrote: »
    Are the speeds generally close to 150 Mb though?

Should be 150mbps most of the time, your other providers used copper which meant the further you are from the cabinet the lower speeds possible. Siro doesn't have this problem.

I'm on 150 and I generally get 130 on a tablet, 156 on a computer cabled to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also .. Check your post. Eir has send letters out to a load of customers increasing their price .... getting them the jump ship option :)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

SIRO Update:

Digiweb Electric Broadband - powered by SIRO is available now in the greater Dublin area, Wexford, Mullingar, Athlone, Kilkenny, Sligo, Finglas, Tyrellstown, Mallow, Carrigaline, Naas, Carlow, Limerick, Letterkenny, Dundalk, Drogheda, Laytown, Mornington, Bettystown, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Tralee, Castlebar, Westport and Clay Farm.

Future roll out towns include: Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth/Kilcock, Ongar, Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne, Rathoath, Clonee and Carrickmines.

Check here to confirm your address: https://www.digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/

Marlow wrote: »
    The 4040 has no analogue port. So all you can do is connect it to a third party VoIP provider and then connect VoIP devices to it.

You'd need a 7560 to use analogue phones.

/M

For information on the Fritz!Box visit https://www.digiweb.ie/fritzbox or https://www.digiweb.ie/fritzbox-7560/

The FritzBox provides an impressive performance boost for your home network and your Digiweb Fibre Broadband connection. You can surf the Web at lightning speeds and even download large amounts of data in the blink of an eye. It’s ideal for home networking, as it combines both a high-performance ADSL/VDSL modem and a wireless router in a single device. It also raises the bar with a sophisticated telephone system, a media server, LAN, and USB port.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Should be 150mbps most of the time, your other providers used copper which meant the further you are from the cabinet the lower speeds possible. Siro doesn't have this problem.

I'm on 150 and I generally get 130 on a tablet, 156 on a computer cabled to the modem.

The SIRO network delivers customers services over an end to end fibre optic network using the latest GPON (Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Network) technology available. GPON is a shared network architecture supporting speeds of up to 1000Mbit/s per user. SIRO does not at any stage apply fixed contention policies or ratios to the network traffic it delivers. Through a combination of enhanced quality of service mechanisms and active capacity management, SIRO ensures that users do not and will not experience congestion. Learn more at: https://www.digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whereabouts in Limerick did they deploy the SIRO product.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Mc Love wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Limerick did they deploy the SIRO product.

Hi,

if you scroll down on this page: https://siro.ie/towns/limerick/ you can see the outline of Limerick that was covered.

An Eircode check will tell you, if you're already covered.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Digiweb wrote: »
    The SIRO network delivers customers services over an end to end fibre optic network using the latest GPON (Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Network) technology available. GPON is a shared network architecture supporting speeds of up to 1000Mbit/s per user. SIRO does not at any stage apply fixed contention policies or ratios to the network traffic it delivers. Through a combination of enhanced quality of service mechanisms and active capacity management, SIRO ensures that users do not and will not experience congestion. Learn more at: https://www.digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/

I was informed by the Siro that they also offer symmetric speeds on business side of things, but was up to the provider. Would that be something you'd be considering to offer for the upcoming future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Now in the “greater Dublin area”. I don’t think it’s available in the majority of Dublin? What parts of Dublin is it available in?

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I was informed by the Siro that they also offer symmetric speeds on business side of things, but was up to the provider. Would that be something you'd be considering to offer for the upcoming future?

Symmetric speeds will become available, but at quite a premium, price wise. And it may be restricted to certain areas (like business parks), as they build the network slightly different, when business packages are in mind.

We're for example testing this with SIRO at the moment.
    Now in the “greater Dublin area”. I don’t think it’s available in the majority of Dublin? What parts of Dublin is it available in?

Areas for Dublin or Co. Dublin/Meath for that sake, that are available (or will be available) on SIRO are Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Swords, Malahide, Portmarnock, Finglas, Tyrellstown, Ongar, Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyle and Rathoath.

Then additionally into Kildare, there will be Leixlip, Cellbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock.

Not quite sure, of how much of that already has been released.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I got a letter in the door a few weeks ago that Bray works are starting. Can you share anything about timelines?

Here's a speedtest example for a business package on SIRO. Obviously, this was a test setup. The business packages are only becoming available in a few weeks.

6879031907.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I dont see it listed above but Siro came up as being available to me in Sallins this week too, engineer coming next week.

I dont see it listed above but Siro came up as being available to me in Sallins this week too, engineer coming next week.

Sallins is covered under the Naas/Johnstown build. (Newbridge, Naas, Johnstown, Sallins).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hi,

if you scroll down on this page: https://siro.ie/towns/limerick/ you can see the outline of Limerick that was covered.

An Eircode check will tell you, if you're already covered.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

Thanks Martin - looks like i'll have to wait for them to arrive on southside. i'm just outside the ftth zone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

Digiweb wrote: »

Siro have confirmed a 32:1 contention ratio haven't they?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Siro have confirmed a 32:1 contention ratio haven't they?

No. Either way, it would be less than 16:1 anyhow (same as with OpenEIR) if you assume the following:

2.5 GBit/s downstream / 1.25 Gbit/s upstream bandwidth per OLT port. 32 customers per cluster. Well, 31 if one port is left empty for diagnostics.

Meaning, you'd have less than 16:1 contention if everyone has 1 Gbit/s FTTH connection. A lot less contention, if people have smaller connections.

That and that they're also already trailing XG-PON, which they probably will offload business and GigE FTTH connection onto, once it goes live and a cluster gets too busy.

Especially since GPON and XG-PON can be run side-by-side on the same fiber. They're using different wavelengths. Just a matter of replacing the ONT at the customer side.

/M

• Advertisement

<2:1 contention, if there's only 150 Mbit/s connections in the cluster. By that calculation.

Which is what the majority of customers go for.

Much bigger risk of hitting contention upstream, as we could see with some providers during the snow, when Ireland hit record heights for bandwidth usage.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

<2:1 contention, if there's only 150 Mbit/s connections in the cluster. By that calculation.

Which is what the majority of customers go for.

Much bigger risk of hitting contention upstream, as we could see with some providers during the snow, when Ireland hit record heights for bandwidth usage.

/M

Actually much less chance of hitting contention in the upstream for 2 reasons

Download to upload ratio is 5:1 for each product and the ratio for a GPON port is 2:1 between download and upload.
    Upload of average customers is a fraction of their download, normally around 10-15%.

As you mentioned most customers choose the 150Mb/s package, if everyone in the cluster or GPON port had that package then there is no contention possible.

People should really just stop talking about congestion on GPON for another 3-5 years and the topic could be re-opened again then!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I assume most needing 1Gb connection is mostly used during work hours and hence wouldn't effect the evening household speeds?

digiman wrote: »
    Download to upload ratio is 5:1 for each product and the ratio for a GPON port is 2:1 between download and upload.
    Upload of average customers is a fraction of their download, normally around 10-15%.

Download to upload ratio doesn't matter. GPON is full-duplex technology. But with them also doing symmetric business connections, that's not quite accurate.

And obviously, what I specified was worst case scenario. So yep ... contention is not really an issue on SIROs end of things.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Got a notice today that they will be wiring up my estate for siro on Monday.

Apparently 2 houses refused permission for them to install the ducting. Wonder what happens then.

Currently with Vodafone paying 40pm for fibre. Hopefully I ll be able to switch to siro when it goes live.

Download to upload ratio doesn't matter. GPON is full-duplex technology. But with them also doing symmetric business connections, that's not quite accurate.

And obviously, what I specified was worst case scenario. So yep ... contention is not really an issue on SIROs end of things.

/M

Download to upload does matter in the context of your point that the upstream is more at risk of contention.

However, just reading your post again perhaps you meant that upstream was contention in the core network rather than the traffic direction upstream?

digiman wrote: »
    Download to upload does matter in the context of your point that the upstream is more at risk of contention.

However, just reading your post again perhaps you meant that upstream was contention in the core network rather than the traffic direction upstream?

Actually, not quite. The upstream is even less contended than the downstream with the way the packages are structured (unless there's a full GigE business package in the cluster).

If you'd assume 31 or 32 packages of 150/30 in the cluster, under 1 GBit/s would be allocated, while 1.25 Gbit/s are possible.

Sure ... if you had all Gbit/s residential packages at 1000/200, then it would be 5:1 ... but the downstream would be even more contended at under 16:1

Either way, form or shape. The advantage with this being on fiber is, that you could always start looking at utilizing another wavelength or two within a cluster, if you had a contention issue.

SIRO even have specified the possibility of providing dedicated bandwidth for business packages, which indicates that this is exactly what they may be aiming at.

From what I've seen so far, I've yet to see a single contended SIRO circuit. I expect to see contention further upstream before I'd see it in SIROs access network. Even the network issues, that have been cropping up ... especially in Letterkenny .. seem to have been provider issues (opposed to SIRO issues).

/M

Actually, not quite. The upstream is even less contended than the downstream with the way the packages are structured (unless there's a full GigE business package in the cluster).

If you'd assume 31 or 32 packages of 150/30 in the cluster, under 1 GBit/s would be allocated, while 1.25 Gbit/s are possible.

Sure ... if you had all Gbit/s residential packages at 1000/200, then it would be 5:1 ... but the downstream would be even more contended at under 16:1

Either way, form or shape. The advantage with this being on fiber is, that you could always start looking at utilizing another wavelength or two within a cluster, if you had a contention issue.

SIRO even have specified the possibility of providing dedicated bandwidth for business packages, which indicates that this is exactly what they may be aiming at.

From what I've seen so far, I've yet to see a single contended SIRO circuit. I expect to see contention further upstream before I'd see it in SIROs access network. Even the network issues, that have been cropping up ... especially in Letterkenny .. seem to have been provider issues (opposed to SIRO issues).

/M

I’m totally confused by you now!!

Anyway I think you have reverted on your previous stance that the upstream is more at risk of contention that the downstream by using my points above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

TheDriver wrote: »
    I assume most needing 1Gb connection is mostly used during work hours and hence wouldn't effect the evening household speeds?

You will have a lot of home users on 1Gb connection and will not be for work reasons
    Some homes have a lot of devices that use broadband 15-30 devices in use is not unusual
    You will get a lot gamers that will want 1GB connection in homes that have heavy usage of broadband

A lot of home broadband users simply want the fastest download and upload speeds possible with unlimited usage
    I can see 1TB usage limit that's applied with some providers be easily breached in next couple of years as more homes upgrade to 4K TV's and more devices stream video in 4K

My home as example easily reaches 700GB a month usage and we don't have 4K TV or stream in 4K

You will also have lot of business that run 24 hours that will be using Siro eventually with a lot of usage at night time and early morning and weekends

Where I work there is a lot of computer usage from 19.00 to 07.00 as it's multi warehouses processing deliveries both inbound and outbound

As Siro is rolled out to majority of towns the amount of home users on 1GB connection will increase

I'm waiting myself for Siro to be available in Navan and I will be getting the 1Gb broadband package as soon as it's available

• Advertisement

paulboland wrote: »
    You will have a lot of home users on 1Gb connection and will not be for work reasons

A lot of users, that choose SIRO based providers will opt for the 1000 and 600 Mbit/s packages simply for the upload speed.

You can't even get those on any other provider (200 Mbit/s on the 1000, 120 Mbit/s on the 600).

It's not all about download, even though Eir and a few other providers happily "ommit" to even tell you what the upload speed is.

/M

Advertisement