Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Marlow wrote: »
    A lot of users, that choose SIRO based providers will opt for the 1000 and 600 Mbit/s packages simply for the upload speed.

You can't even get those on any other provider (200 Mbit/s on the 1000, 120 Mbit/s on the 600).

It's not all about download, even though Eir and a few other providers happily "ommit" to even tell you what the upload speed is.

/M

That's why in my post I said a lot of home broadband users simply want the fastest download and upload speeds possible

As in both download and upload

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

paulboland wrote: »
    My home as example easily reaches 700GB a month usage and we don't have 4K TV or stream in 4K

Just to put that in context, it averages out to a little over 2Mb/s for the month.

Many of the people worrying about congestion on GPON networks seem to be operating on the assumption that someone who has a 1Gb/s connection is going to use it to its maximum capacity all the time, or even a lot of the time, which is actually quite difficult to do.

It doesn't matter how many people have 1Gb/s connections; it only matters how much they use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Jup .. full throttle 1 Mbit/s 30 days, 24 hours a day .. is about 350GB.

If people were running full throttle on their 1000 Mbit/s connection all the time, constantly, 24x7 .. they wouldn't be long before being throttled down or cut off by their ISP.

Uncontended and unlimited pricing is a completely different ballpark than what GigE FTTH is sold for.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Question — a van (working for siro) fed a green cable through manhole cover in our estate, is this the fibre through existing ducting,? There was no digging etc

TheDriver wrote: »
    Question — a van (working for siro) fed a green cable through manhole cover in our estate, is this the fibre through existing ducting,? There was no digging etc

Yes. That can very well be it. Siro uses existing ESB ducting, wherever they can. And works for SIRO are all fiber related. They don't do anything else.

/M

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just to put that in context, it averages out to a little over 2Mb/s for the month.

Many of the people worrying about congestion on GPON networks seem to be operating on the assumption that someone who has a 1Gb/s connection is going to use it to its maximum capacity all the time, or even a lot of the time, which is actually quite difficult to do.

It doesn't matter how many people have 1Gb/s connections; it only matters how much they use them.
    Where you getting average of 2Mb/s for the month from LOL

I use 700GB a month and that's without using 4K streaming

A lot of the providers have a 1TB usage limit and a lot already have gone very close or over that

Your missing the point of my post in regards to 1TB usage limit a month it's to low it should be a lot higher especially if lot more homes start to take advantage of increased upload speed you get with Siro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

Where you getting average of 2Mb/s for the month from LOL

I use 700GB a month and that's without using 4K streaming

A lot of the providers have a 1TB usage limit and a lot already have gone very close or over that

Your missing the point of my post in regards to 1TB usage limit a month it's to low it should be a lot higher especially if lot more homes start to take advantage of increased upload speed you get with Siro

Her point is that the 700 jigs averages to only 2mbps every second of every day in a month. That means you're only using 1.7%(?) of your connection, if you average it out, assuming jiggabit.

They're talking about network congestion while you're talking about data caps, they're different things so thats where the misunderstanding is coming from.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Her point is that the 700 jigs averages to only 2mbps every second of every day in a month. That means you're only using 1.7%(?) of your connection, if you average it out, assuming jiggabit.

They're talking about network congestion while you're talking about data caps, they're different things so thats where the misunderstanding is coming from.

She quoted average 2Mb/s for the month not 2Mb/s per day

She quoted average 2Mb/s for the month not 2Mb/s per day

/S means per second

/S means per second
    I know that

There is a big difference saying average per month and per day

It's average of 2Mb per second each day not average 2Mb per second each month

• Advertisement

There is a big difference saying average per month and per day

It's average of 2Mb per second each day not average 2Mb per second each month

Please re-read your post.

An average speed is the same ... doesn't matter if it's per month or per day or per hour .. it stays an average speed.

The usage however obviously goes up with every hour, every day, every month.

So, if you used 700 GB/month then you may have been at Gbit/s speed at some point at less at some other point. But the average (constant) used speed across the month would be 2 Mbit/s.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

39612 FTTH connections at the end of Q4 2017 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. It seems about 10000 connections are being installed per quarter.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Had an engineer out recently looking at installing Siro, he didnt seem to want to bring the line in to the attic at the front gable and run it to the opposite end of the house where to office is, but wanted to bring it from the pole at the road over the full length of the house, through an L bracket and down the back of the opposite gable and in through the wall.
    I guess its somewhere in the region of 35 meters from the pole to the back of the house.

Would it be normal to do? Or could there be danger of the wire getting damaged in the event of high winds?

I know its kind of hard to picture without photographs, I might try get a clear one tomorrow if Ive time.

I assume they don't want to run the cable through the attic as it could get damaged by storage or vermin?

TheDriver wrote: »
    I assume they don't want to run the cable through the attic as it could get damaged by storage or vermin?

Storage no but maybe vermin is the idea. It wouldnt be the easiest of attics to work in, no lighting and no floorboards so I can understand why going over the house is much easier, I would just be concerned about the line moving and rubbing off the roof tiles.

Storage no but maybe vermin is the idea. It wouldnt be the easiest of attics to work in, no lighting and no floorboards so I can understand why going over the house is much easier, I would just be concerned about the line moving and rubbing off the roof tiles.

Not many of the installers want to work in attics and they may not be insured to do so. They will always take the easiest option for themselves. Perhaps if you offered to run the cable through the attic yourself he may be more receptive.

Not many of the installers want to work in attics and they may not be insured to do so. They will always take the easiest option for themselves. Perhaps if you offered to run the cable through the attic yourself he may be more receptive.

Yeah we talked about offering to bring it ourselves but I dont think he'd go for it due to health & safety, he couldnt even get clearance to adjust something on the pole outside the house which was installed wrong, have to wait for a dedicated engineer to come do that next week so its all been pushed back a bit.
    He was a sound guy anyways so im sure we'll figure out a decent arrangement.

Yeah we talked about offering to bring it ourselves but I dont think he'd go for it due to health & safety, he couldnt even get clearance to adjust something on the pole outside the house which was installed wrong, have to wait for a dedicated engineer to come do that next week so its all been pushed back a bit.
    He was a sound guy anyways so im sure we'll figure out a decent arrangement.

Whatever he does make sure it it clear of the roof or securely fixed to the roof as you are correct about the cable rubbing on tiles. It won't last long if it is rubbing against tiles or slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »

I'm missing the target date I'm sure. My reading skills are rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Hi All quick question re the Siro rollout - we had Siro vans around our place in June 2017, digging trenches laying fibre outside our houses and the neighbourhood. My neighbour asked them if they knew of an activation date and they guessed probably before Christmas 2017 (so 6 months or so).

Cut to the end of March 2018 and still no sign of anything coming our way. Can the lead time from fibre installed to activation take up to a year in some instances?

Pretty keen to get our speed up from the 12 megs we get at the moment.

Thanks in advance

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Hi All quick question re the Siro rollout - we had Siro vans around our place in June 2017, digging trenches laying fibre outside our houses and the neighbourhood. My neighbour asked them if they knew of an activation date and they guessed probably before Christmas 2017 (so 6 months or so).

Cut to the end of March 2018 and still no sign of anything coming our way. Can the lead time from fibre installed to activation take up to a year in some instances?

Hi,

Limerick has been enabled and is constantly build out. If you PM me your Eircode, I can probably give a more educated guestimate on activation or if your home is enabled.

The first premises in Limerick went live end of 2017.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Mr. TTime wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    That's exactly the time frame for Balbriggan too. Puzzling really as the major works are long finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Siro had indicated start dates for Balbriggan which have been and gone officially and unofficially. They don't even have the decency to reply to message about it anymore.

Everyone can understand delays. If we were kept informed it wouldn't be so bad.

They have reached Eir levels of PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Obelisk on behalf of siro spotted in Gorey. They were doing some measurements.

I wonder are they going to announce a few towns at same time to make a bigger deal of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 philyb

In athlone Vodafone rep called to say siro is available.
    I am on virgin 240mb paying 55 month service ok don't get full speed as drops abit have few issues due to calbing outside happy enough service.am virgin/UPC for around 8 years.

Was thinking switching to siro Vodafone offering deal first 6 month 40e was going to go with 300mb could than go to 65e

But I see digiweb are offering same for 55e month but no offer and avaction fee of 49e

Reading post is there still issues with Vodafone router ?

What is service like in general ?
    Should price drop over the next few months?
    Would the 150mb be like virgin 240mb as it is coming straight into house

Thanks

philyb wrote: »

Reading post is there still issues with Vodafone router ?
    It's actually not terrible, but for sure room for improvement.
    DECEiFER, ED E and Marlow helped (some without even knowing, spooky) me out replacing it.

What is service like in general ?
    Would the 150mb be like virgin 240mb as it is coming straight into house
    The service has been good. I'm on 150mb with Vodafone.
    I used to be with upc on 250 I think, a long time ago. I remember upc feeling much faster, but I did use it differently, and it was the fastest thing in the country back then.
    I do remember it being much more hit and miss if I could get a stable connection or not to some servers, I haven't had any problems with Siro apart from 3 or 4 townwide Vodafone outages with their account authentication servers I think, and they seem to throttle ovh servers.
    Both are Vodafone issues rather than Siro issues.

Also digiweb have really nice routers.
    Should price drop over the next few months?
    If only. I doubt we'll see any price cuts until it's in more towns with more providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 philyb

It's actually not terrible, but for sure room for improvement.
    DECEiFER, ED E and Marlow helped (some without even knowing, spooky) me out replacing it.

The service has been good. I'm on 150mb with Vodafone.
    I used to be with upc on 250 I think, a long time ago. I remember upc feeling much faster, but I did use it differently, and it was the fastest thing in the country back then.
    I do remember it being much more hit and miss if I could get a stable connection or not to some servers, I haven't had any problems with Siro apart from 3 or 4 townwide Vodafone outages with their account authentication servers I think, and they seem to throttle ovh servers.
    Both are Vodafone issues rather than Siro issues.

Also digiweb have really nice routers.

If only. I doubt we'll see any price cuts until it's in more towns with more providers.

Thank you very much

So you find it more of a stable connection anyways.

I just use in house for iptv as my main TV and just the streaming of arounf 4 devices around house. Use to alot myself but just average use now

Advertisement