Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

philyb wrote: »
    Was thinking switching to siro Vodafone offering deal first 6 month 40e was going to go with 300mb could than go to 65e

But I see digiweb are offering same for 55e month but no offer and avaction fee of 49e

You've seen, that Airwire also is available in Athlone ?

12 months contact, free router (Fritz!Box). 18 months contract, free router and installation.

And at 60 EUR/month, it's the 600 Mbit/s package, that the others don't offer on residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

You've seen, that Airwire also is available in Athlone ?

12 months contact, free router (Fritz!Box). 18 months contract, free router and installation.

And at 60 EUR/month, it's the 600 Mbit/s package, that the others don't offer on residential.

Is this actually allowed?

No offense but don’t want the thread populated with people coming on and promoting their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

digiman wrote: »

No offense but don’t want the thread populated with people coming on and promoting their company.

Heh. Those are paid for commercial accounts, mostly intended for support. You can report them though, if you've got a problem with it.

Plenty of those from Digiweb in this thread .. Like this one: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106377988&postcount=4627

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reps have added a lot of info we simply can't access otherwise. Im glad to have em.

As long as they're answering queries and not just spamming their own packages its totally allowed. They're paying for the site that we use for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Plus they educated me about the availability of 600Mb package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

TheDriver wrote: »
    Plus they educated me about the availability of 600Mb package
    I have a gigabyte if I want,but really don't need it,have siro VF 150 mb plenty enough, streaming,Xbox,pc,phones etc,steady 140/150

I have a gigabyte if I want,but really don't need it,have siro VF 150 mb plenty enough, streaming,Xbox,pc,phones etc,steady 140/150

For a lot of people the 150 Mbit/s package is more than plenty.

The main reason for going for a higher package is the bigger upload for most, that consider it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've provisionally also ordered 600/mbit for my house, through my business, with Vodafone. So you can get those speeds.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I've provisionally also ordered 600/mbit for my house, through my business, with Vodafone. So you can get those speeds.

Tasty SLA included with that?

ED E wrote: »

I wouldn't say so. It's still a regular SLA package, unless they've made special agreements. Price goes quite a bit up then. And no discounts either most of the time.

The residential GigE package nearly works out better, I would think.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Verified reps get a HUGE amount of slack as they are paying customers.

ED E wrote: »

Actually I haven't seen the SLA. I'd imagine it's no different. But i doubt they will enforce any caps on it. It was just a the right balance of cost / upload speed for me. I have a synology setup in my house for offisite office backups and it works fine, except for the weekly verification, which on 20m/bit vdsl is a total pain. 120m/bit up will be a lot nicer and it balances well with our office 150m/bit x 150m/bit dedicated fibre.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Actually I haven't seen the SLA. I'd imagine it's no different. But i doubt they will enforce any caps on it. It was just a the right balance of cost / upload speed for me. I have a synology setup in my house for offisite office backups and it works fine, except for the weekly verification, which on 20m/bit vdsl is a total pain. 120m/bit up will be a lot nicer and it balances well with our office 150m/bit x 150m/bit dedicated fibre.

Matter of interest: what are Vodafone charging for the Business 600 ? I know, the 1000 is 90 EUR/month+VAT ... so 110.70 EUR/incl VAT per month.

And yes, with the business ones you get fixed IP standard, no hassle about third party modems (they'll just hand you the details) and they don't enforce or have a cap on those.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ihatecocopops

Siro finally available at my apartment but my esb box in at ground level and I have top floor what cable do they run from the meter box to where the modem goes. I could run some trunking from near the meter up to the attic and down to nearest plug or would installers prefer their own way.

Was thinking of Airwire how do people find them.

Siro finally available at my apartment but my esb box in at ground level and I have top floor what cable do they run from the meter box to where the modem goes. I could run some trunking from near the meter up to the attic and down to nearest plug or would installers prefer their own way.

Hi, generally, most installers won't do an attic installation. However, if trunking was available, I can't see why they won't use it. Especially when a pull rope is in place.

The cabling they do is fibre from the meter box to the nearest double socket. If there are multiple appartements, then that should be the nearest double socket within your appartement.

You then connect the router via cat5e/cat6 cable to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

@ MartinL Sorry for jumping in,have a 2 storey semi with esb power box right outside my front garden.
    Would Siro installers be able to cable socket upstairs in my landing?My socket is a gable end.
    Thanks

booterboy wrote: »
    @ MartinL Sorry for jumping in,have a 2 storey semi with esb power box right outside my front garden.
    Would Siro installers be able to cable socket upstairs in my landing?My socket is a gable end.
    Thanks

Hard to say. Every premise is different. There has to be enough space for placing ladders safely etc.

Generally, the SIRO installers are very accomodating. So, when they arrive on the day, discuss the options with them and find the best suited way, that has safe access for the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Have a concrete path at side of house so safe for ladder and they would only need to drill one hole less than half way up gable end.
    My nearest socket is in hallway so dont have room or want the modem there as it would be first thing seen when opening front door.

Mail from Siro =

"Services have gone live in Mallow and are due to go live within the coming weeks in Swords and Balbriggan. To check availability in your home or business, visit our availability checker HERE."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What's the time frame between going live and addresses appearing in their checker?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Siro have updated their rollout map and added these planned locations

Co Meath
    - Ratoath
    - Dunboyne
    - Dunshaughlin
    - Ashbourne
    - Clonee
    - Trim

Co Wicklow
    - Wicklow
    - Newtown-Kilcoole
    - Bray
    - Greystones

Wexford
    - Gorey
    - Courtown
    - Enniscorthy

Kildare
    - Kilcock
    - Maynooth
    - Leixlip
    - Celbridge

Dublin
    - Beaumount
    - Blanchardstown
    - Clondalkin
    - Ongar
    - Rathcoole
    - Saggart
    - Shankill
    - Skerries
    - Rush
    - Walkinstown

Some of the above towns may have been on the rollout before but most of these locations seem new with much of the urban greater Dublin areas beyond the M50 getting FTTH at some point. Siro will mostly likely beat Eir at rolling out FTTH to these locations first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Is there a way to find out what electricity cabinets you'd be connected to? I think I could be part of the Cork City rollout but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Gonzo wrote: »
    Siro have updated their rollout map and added these planned locations

Co Meath
    - Ratoath
    - Dunboyne
    - Dunshaughlin
    - Ashbourne
    - Clonee
    - Trim

Co Wicklow
    - Wicklow
    - Newtown-Kilcoole
    - Bray
    - Greystones

Wexford
    - Gorey
    - Courtown
    - Enniscorthy

Kildare
    - Kilcock
    - Maynooth
    - Leixlip
    - Celbridge

Dublin
    - Beaumount
    - Blanchardstown
    - Clondalkin
    - Ongar
    - Rathcoole
    - Saggart
    - Shankill
    - Skerries
    - Rush
    - Walkinstown

Some of the above towns may have been on the rollout before but most of these locations seem new with much of the urban greater Dublin areas beyond the M50 getting FTTH at some point. Siro will mostly likely beat Eir at rolling out FTTH to these locations first.

Do you anything about the situation in Cork City?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Donne wrote: »
    Do you anything about the situation in Cork City?

Cork appears to have planned

- Cobh
    - Little Island
    - Cork City
    - Midleton
    - Ballincollig

Gonzo wrote: »
    Kildare
    - Kilcock
    - Maynooth
    - Leixlip
    - Celbridge

Only very few premises passed in that section, but that should be live in the next 2-3 months.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Is there a way to find out what electricity cabinets you'd be connected to? I think I could be part of the Cork City rollout but I'm not sure.

It doesn't work that way. SIRO only uses ESBs infrastructure (ducts, overhead lines etc.)

For every area they build out, they build a complete new fiber network. That is then connected to their local POI ... typically a airconditioned container on a secure ESB complex. And there they hand the connection off to the providers, who service the customers in the end.

Electricity cabinets have nothing to do with it. It's fiber optic.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Any thoughts on whether SIRO will ever install in my area.

The houses were build 70 years ago in a Dublin suburb. Electrical trunks on the road and cables to each house are underground with no ducts, no visible distribution points, no chambers and no poles. The nearest visible infrastructure is the substation.

TIA.

pg17 wrote: »

The houses were build 70 years ago in a Dublin suburb. Electrical trunks on the road and cables to each house are underground with no ducts, no visible distribution points, no chambers and no poles. The nearest visible infrastructure is the substation.

TIA.

OpenEir overhead has a better chance I suspect.

pg17 wrote: »

TIA.

SIRO unlikely, I'm afraid. Direct buried cables and blocked ducting usually leads to houses being left out.

The only exception are the urban areas, where siro have done surface installs similar to the way of NTL in the old days: ran the fiber cable along the front of the houses and from one house to another. Doesn't work with detached houses though.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Marlow wrote: »
    SIRO unlikely, I'm afraid. Direct buried cables and blocked ducting usually leads to houses being left out.

The only exception are the urban areas, where siro have done surface installs similar to the way of NTL in the old days: ran the fiber cable along the front of the houses and from one house to another. Doesn't work with detached houses though.

/M

I second this, in dundalk siro skipped all these older estates with direct buried cables, however the good news is that virgin media came along and dug tracks in the foot paths and put fibre to most of the older skipped estates, along with plenty of older one off houses too along the Dublin road

Advertisement