Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Gonzo wrote: »
    Cork appears to have planned

- Cobh
    - Little Island
    - Cork City
    - Midleton
    - Ballincollig

Yeah but still no sign at all that they'll be coming anywhere near those locations any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Saw this black box on a pole in Clontarf, Dublin today. Never seen it before. Is it to do with Siro?:

https://m.imgur.com/BmUqvna

Link taken from an earlier poster in this thread as it is the same box I think. I couldn’t see if it was to do with Siro or not.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Saw this black box on a pole in Clontarf, Dublin today. Never seen it before. Is it to do with Siro?:

Link taken from an earlier poster in this thread as it is the same box I think. I couldn’t see if it was to do with Siro or not.

Nope, that's power-related, not fibre-. SIRO's DPs on poles look much the same as open eir's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can I ask what they should look like? Always wondered what the black boxes were too

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theyre about 15cm dia cylinders with a rounded top. Yellow laser warning is the tell tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I've read on here that the ONT will be mounted at the nearest double socket. (Nearest to the ESB meter cabinet). Does this apply even if the nearest socket is in an attached garage or is it the nearest double socket in the actual house itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

peking97 wrote: »
    I've read on here that the ONT will be mounted at the nearest double socket. (Nearest to the ESB meter cabinet). Does this apply even if the nearest socket is in an attached garage or is it the nearest double socket in the actual house itself?

Nearest double socket in the house, of course. The broadband is no good to you in the garage. SIRO installers are not unreasonable.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Marlow wrote: »
    Nearest double socket in the house, of course. The broadband is no good to you in the garage. SIRO installers are not unreasonable.

/M

I have an awkward situation where the front of my house is a hallway with no sockets and an attached garage with a single socket. Upstairs at the front is just a bathroom and bizarrely a bedroom with only a single socket. So I have no rooms at the front of my terraced house suitable!

I am now told it's available but I am trying to decide if I need to get an electrician around to install sockets first or will they run cable (presumably ethernet from the fibre) through the house?

Do I have the option of waiting until they come to decide if an electrician is required? I would provide an extension cable so they can complete the installation but I would be doubtful they will complete the installation with temporary power

tvc15 wrote: »
    I am now told it's available but I am trying to decide if I need to get an electrician around to install sockets first or will they run cable (presumably ethernet from the fibre) through the house?

ONT is powered, as is the router, they cant "convert" from fibre to ethernet without power so the fibre would end up running around the gaff which AFAIK they will not do.

Sounds like you should be pre-empting them with a sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

tvc15 wrote: »
    I have an awkward situation where the front of my house is a hallway with no sockets and an attached garage with a single socket. Upstairs at the front is just a bathroom and bizarrely a bedroom with only a single socket. So I have no rooms at the front of my terraced house suitable!

Do I have the option of waiting until they come to decide if an electrician is required? I would provide an extension cable so they can complete the installation but I would be doubtful they will complete the installation with temporary power

They ran the Fibre right around my neighbours house no prob, maybe 10 meters or so and put ont in sitting room. Maybe decide where is best for you and have a long power extension lead for the day. Then you can agree the best location between you and installers, use the temporary long power extension lead, and get sparkie to come after and put in a proper socket. Seems a risk to get sparkie to put in socket before installers come. Alternatively just put your ont in the garage like I did and just get sparkie to run Ethernet cable from there to where you want modem. I had Ethernet cable run from garage to where I wanted modem before install and they had no probs using this, I had rj45 plugs previously terminated on the cables though. Worst case let them put ont and modem in garage and move the modem after electrician runs cat 5 cable from garage to where you want modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm famous!

That was in Cobh, they've not even started rolling out there yet I hear. I lived there about 2 years ago, with sparkling hope in my eyes when they announced Cobh to be among the first towns with fibre to the very home.

So as another poster said, nothing fibre related. The thing to look out for is looped wires on poles everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm famous!

That was in Cobh, they've not even started rolling out there yet I hear. I lived there about 2 years ago, with sparkling hope in my eyes when they announced Cobh to be among the first towns with fibre to the very home.

So as another poster said, nothing fibre related. The thing to look out for is looped wires on poles everywhere.

It looked different so I was being hopeful!

Spotted lots of TLI vans feeding green tubing down manholes, assume its siro cable? Also see hoover trucks when big chute down manholes, are they digging more?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Spotted lots of TLI vans feeding green tubing down manholes, assume its siro cable? Also see hoover trucks when big chute down manholes, are they digging more?

The subduct is pushed into place then a vacuum/blower unit "blows" the fibre down the duct.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I was wondering. I thought some guy had made a mess that needed hoovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Siro will be starting work installing in Navan soon

Card from siro dropped through the letterbox this evening
    Why we're working in your town

Navan was initially announced to be planned to be available 2015
    3 years later they are finally getting round to start working on the instal for Navan homes and business

I will be switching from Virgin broadband to Siro as soon as it's live and available on my street

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paulboland wrote: »
    Siro will be starting work installing in Navan soon

Card from siro dropped through the letterbox this evening
    Why we're working in your town

Navan was initially announced to be planned to be available 2015
    3 years later they are finally getting round to start working on the instal for Navan homes and business

I will be switching from Virgin broadband to Siro as soon as it's live and available on my street

sdont hold your breath its "live in castlebar" for a year and they have barely done one corner fo the town.

They seem to be tearing through mallow, few more estates added this week and lots of vans around still working.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    sdont hold your breath its "live in castlebar" for a year and they have barely done one corner fo the town.

There are over a thousand premises available to order from SIRO in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Over a month now since I ordered Electric Broadband with Digiweb. There was problems with the line outside the house so the engineer couldnt complete the installation.
    Work was scheduled for the following week but didnt happen. Then one person in Digiweb told me it would be done on Apr 4th while another told it was down for Apr 5th. As far as I can see nothing has been done and Digiweb just ignore your emails.

Will have to give Vodafone a call I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mgit wrote: »
    I second this, in dundalk siro skipped all these older estates with direct buried cables, however the good news is that virgin media came along and dug tracks in the foot paths and put fibre to most of the older skipped estates, along with plenty of older one off houses too along the Dublin road

How do you know if your housing estate has direct-buried cables? My housing estate was developed in the late-70s and it has these ESB pillars embeed in the walls of people front garden:

447726.png

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Over a month now since I ordered Electric Broadband with Digiweb. There was problems with the line outside the house so the engineer couldnt complete the installation.
    Work was scheduled for the following week but didnt happen. Then one person in Digiweb told me it would be done on Apr 4th while another told it was down for Apr 5th. As far as I can see nothing has been done and Digiweb just ignore your emails.

Will have to give Vodafone a call I reckon.

Hi,
    you can't order of another provider on SIRO, while your current order still is pending.

So you'd need to cancel your current order first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Hi,
    you can't order of another provider on SIRO, while your current order still is pending.

So you'd need to cancel your current order first.

Oh I'd let Digiweb know first alright, I have a few things to say to them, they'll have to organise someone to pick up their router too.

Thanks for the info though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

FTTH is live in west kerry

7212106674.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

weisses wrote: »
    FTTH is live in west kerry

7212106674.png

Whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Mc Love wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

Ventry, Ballyferriter

Unreal having these speeds in the middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

weisses wrote: »
    Ventry, Ballyferriter

Unreal having these speeds in the middle of nowhere

Wow thats fantastic! Delighted for all that live out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

How do you know if your housing estate has direct-buried cables? My housing estate was developed in the late-70s and it has these ESB pillars embeed in the walls of people front garden:

447726.png

Page 49 of the Electrical Services Guidebook For Housing Schemes suggest that indeed houses are directly cabled to a ESB Mini-Pillars like the photo. Now if they are ducted or directly buried from there is anyones guess. I would think opening your meter box and if you see the main power cable coming out of a red pipe into the meter box, thats a strong suggestion its ducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There are over a thousand premises available to order from SIRO in Castlebar.

murphys law , got a note in the door saying the power is off all day next week for fibre rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've been working on a coverage check tool. The design is pretty basic currently.

FTTC data is patchy at best at the moment, as a lot of VDSL isn't coded by Eircode.

OpenEIR FTTH is spot on and updated weekly.

SIRO only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Hope it helps.

Advertisement