Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

SIRO only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo.
    Airwire - Ag Nascadh Pobail an Iarthair - Connecting the Western Community

I'm confused...:confused:

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

degsie wrote: »
    I'm confused...:confused:

Well .. some would translate it as "The West of Ireland". But you could also take it as "The West of Europe" and then it's all of Ireland and more.

The places we've covered with SIRO have been selected based on where our national core network is running. We've got a mix of dark fiber and wavelengths from BT, eNet, ESB Telecoms and OpenEIR. It would be nonsense not to serve the communities, that our fiber passes anyhow.

But we did start out in Kinvara, Co. Galway ... 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

We've been working on a coverage check tool. The design is pretty basic currently.

FTTC data is patchy at best at the moment, as a lot of VDSL isn't coded by Eircode.

OpenEIR FTTH is spot on and updated weekly.

SIRO only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Hope it helps.

Could you map it?

digiman wrote: »
    Could you map it?

That's the plan eventually. We have maps for our Fixed Wireless and Jet products in the product categories.

At the moment, we're working on some maps for the SIRO coverage, as we also want to indicate planned coverage somehow.

Just a matter to find the time besides working on a revised webdesign, as our overall webdesign now is 10 years old and getting a bit old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Well .. some would translate it as "The West of Ireland". But you could also take it as "The West of Europe" and then it's all of Ireland and more.

The places we've covered with SIRO have been selected based on where our national core network is running. We've got a mix of dark fiber and wavelengths from BT, eNet, ESB Telecoms and OpenEIR. It would be nonsense not to serve the communities, that our fiber passes anyhow.

But we did start out in Kinvara, Co. Galway ... 12 years ago.

You seem to be edging closer to Dublin with planned rollouts, any chance of making it to Swords? SIRO seem to be close to live in parts here.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    You seem to be edging closer to Dublin with planned rollouts, any chance of making it to Swords? SIRO seem to be close to live in parts here.

We have already commited to being providing in Kilcock, Leixlip, Cellbridge and Maynooth as soon as they go live, as our infrastructure reaches as far as City West.

We have no infrastructure on the north side of Dublin, so Swords is going to be unlikely in the near future. I know Digiweb are planning on providing there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mkov1

Had siro installation today but somebody managed to cut the wire off the pole as it was left hanging low, so no siro for me ..

Wonder how long it will take to have this sorted. I have sky broadband cancellation pending in next 5 days so I'm not sure if I should wait for Vodafone to sort this, or cancel my order and call sky not to cancel my broadband. DO not want to end up for weeks without internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

mkov1 wrote: »
    Had siro installation today but somebody managed to cut the wire off the pole as it was left hanging low, so no siro for me ..

Wonder how long it will take to have this sorted. I have sky broadband cancellation pending in next 5 days so I'm not sure if I should wait for Vodafone to sort this, or cancel my order and call sky not to cancel my broadband. DO not want to end up for weeks without internet.

I ordered Siro with Digiweb on Mar 7th to be installed on Mar 14th. It couldnt be completed due to a problem with the way it was set up on the pole outside. I finally got it sorted today after much pestering of Digiweb. So going by my experience you could be waiting about a month before its sorted.

I ordered Siro with Digiweb on Mar 7th to be installed on Mar 14th. It couldnt be completed due to a problem with the way it was set up on the pole outside. I finally got it sorted today after much pestering of Digiweb. So going by my experience you could be waiting about a month before its sorted.

Just called Vodafone and I was told it will be fixed by Thursday 19/4/. And than I have to get appointment for a technician to come and install it.
    The cable was hanging on the pole at the height that anyone can go and cut it with scissors - I wonder what genius left it like that.

Thinking of cancelling whole thing and call sky I will stay with them. They were throwing all sorts of offers at me when I called to give 30 days cancellation notice.

Just called Vodafone and I was told it will be fixed by Thursday 19/4/. And than I have to get appointment for a technician to come and install it.
    The cable was hanging on the pole at the height that anyone can go and cut it with scissors - I wonder what genius left it like that.

Thinking of cancelling whole thing and call sky I will stay with them. They were throwing all sorts of offers at me when I called to give 30 days cancellation notice.

I was told someone would be out Mar 26, then Apr 4/5 and they finally came today. I think Vodafone can say what they like but it'll be down Actavo/Esb/Whoever as to when someone comes out to fix the line.
    We had abysmal speeds with Sky and Virgin didnt come this far out of the village so Siro is the only solution for us.

Id say give them at least until the 19th to fix it anyways, you might have better luck than me.

Id be more wondering as to what sort of person would come along to cut the wires than why it was left there!

• Advertisement

I was told someone would be out Mar 26, then Apr 4/5 and they finally came today. I think Vodafone can say what they like but it'll be down Actavo/Esb/Whoever as to when someone comes out to fix the line.
    We had abysmal speeds with Sky and Virgin didnt come this far out of the village so Siro is the only solution for us.

Id say give them at least until the 19th to fix it anyways, you might have better luck than me.

Id be more wondering as to what sort of person would come along to cut the wires than why it was left there!

Oh gosh that sounds awful. I'll give them until 19th and see, if they can't get it running by 23rd I can call Virgin and see how quick they can get me up and running.
    Thanks for sharing your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Fergal
    Hi all,

Below is the most up to date information we have on FTTH.

"Sky is currently in test phase with a select group of customers in preparation for its rollout of fibre to the home. We are planning to deploy FTTH with speeds of up to 1Gbps across an extensive footprint. We will update on what regions Fibre To The Home will be available through Sky in due course."

As soon as any new information comes in, we'll be posting it up. Keep an eye out for a post here, or possibly a Sticky post.

Thanks,
    Fergal

Quoted from here https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057810316/3

Just to update on my issue, in fairness they came on Monday to fix the cable and I have appointment with Vodafone for Thursday to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Will be interesting having sky enter the market, their prices will hopefully be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Vodafone sales people have been swarming Balbriggan the last few evenings. Apparently services have been available to order since last Friday 13th.

Just to update on my issue, in fairness they came on Monday to fix the cable and I have appointment with Vodafone for Thursday to install.

Thats good, got mine installed on Friday in the end and its such a difference to what we had. You could tell the guy at Sky wanted to tell me how much I should stick with them but their 1.2Mbs just cant compete with 150Mbs no matter what price they'd offer me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Praetorian wrote: »
    Vodafone sales people have been swarming Balbriggan the last few evenings. Apparently services have been available to order since last Friday 13th.
    Curious that's there is nothing on the Siro website for Balbriggan addresses.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Curious that's there is nothing on the Siro website for Balbriggan addresses.

The whole thing seems badly organised. But the vodafone vans were all over the estates the last few days. I spoke to one of the reps and they confirmed Balbriggan is live since Friday 13th.

Web sites aren't updated yet it seems.

I'm ordering through a business account, so I'm hoping that one of our reps will eventually confirm the order. Vodafone are incredibly unresponsive.

The whole thing seems badly organised. But the vodafone vans were all over the estates the last few days. I spoke to one of the reps and they confirmed Balbriggan is live since Friday 13th.

Web sites aren't updated yet it seems.

I'm ordering through a business account, so I'm hoping that one of our reps will eventually confirm the order. Vodafone are incredibly unresponsive.
    I trust you know what you're doing. A Vodaphone rep did try to sell me SIRO before Christmas.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I trust you know what you're doing. A Vodaphone rep did try to sell me SIRO before Christmas.

Siro did say 3 weeks ago that it was going live in the coming weeks, so I'm guessing they have not messed this up...again.

Then again it was supposed to launch 2 months ago originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It is ironic that sales reps from the ISP's (in particular Vodafone) are calling to areas not officially listed as "live" but are nowhere to be seen in areas supposed to be listed as "live". I live in one such area according to SIRO, an area which is really far from it (Naas, Kildare)

SIRO should stop listing a town as "live" until all of that town is wired and ready and as for their notifications affecting your area, forget it. It seems the rollout is way of track and not getting anywhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

The ol' P PADI timeout's back in letterkenny a couple of minutes ago. Vodafone are incredible.

cunnijo wrote: »
    It is ironic that sales reps from the ISP's (in particular Vodafone) are calling to areas not officially listed as "live" but are nowhere to be seen in areas supposed to be listed as "live". I live in one such area according to SIRO, an area which is really far from it (Naas, Kildare)

SIRO should stop listing a town as "live" until all of that town is wired and ready and as for their notifications affecting your area, forget it. It seems the rollout is way of track and not getting anywhere fast.

SIRO lists a town as live, when about 20% of the premises are passed and the first provider is live. It takes about 3-6 months then to complete the entire build.

Basically, you have to check with the providers or on SIROs website at the start of each month, if you're down as passed. They only provide the providers with update lists once, maybe twice a month.

We're not servicing Naas, so I can't help you much there.

I signed up at the door anyway with Vodafone, the deal is better than the online deal, 1000 m/bit, first 6 months free, next 12 months for €90 per month. Apparently installs starting 26th April... I'm not sure if I believe that, but we'll see. The lady told me I was her 25th sale in 3 days, and there was 10 of them doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I signed up at the door anyway with Vodafone

urt.gif

ED E wrote: »
    urt.gif

Yep, the Vodafone people who are supposed to be our account managers for our company literally won't reply to mails. I lost my patience and the deal is better. So why not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Siro have started working in Johnstown Navan
    They have started to dig at entrance to my estate and also other estate entrances in Johnstown Area
    I gather that's to access the ESB network underground infrastructure

I have also seen a Siro vans driving up and down my street a few times today

I called the local Siro rep he told me it will be summer time a few months from now they expect siro be available on my street

paulboland wrote: »
    Siro have started working in Johnstown Navan
    They have started to dig at entrance to my estate and also other estate entrances in Johnstown Area
    I gather that's to access the ESB network underground infrastructure

I have also seen a Siro vans driving up and down my street a few times today

I called the local Siro rep he told me it will be summer time a few months from now they expect siro be available on my street
    Judging by posters on here it takes at least 6 months from work begins. In my case it's near 11 months and waiting.

Anyone managed to get Vodafone TV running on third party router? I have archer C3200 and internet is running ok connected directly into siro box, however Vodafone TV not. It runes the channels but won't show preview of another channel or let me record ...

I have IGMP Snooping enabled and vpi at 10... not sure what else to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a look at what NAT rules are on in the HG659 by default.

Advertisement