Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Have my appointment for tomorrow morning install in Balbriggan. Fingers crossed no issues blowing the fibre through. The newly installed duct / junction is right outside my house.

1000m/bit for 6 months free,and €90per month then for the remaining 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I'm not really in the know-how regarding Siro, but why aren't they using this for the NBP?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I'm not really in the know-how regarding Siro, but why aren't they using this for the NBP?

Siro were running for the NBP but they suspended their interest in it nearly a year ago and Eir followed a few months ago, leaving just one party left in the bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mahony0509 wrote: »

After the government allowed Eir to cherry pick the 300k and took that out of the NBP and the whole agreements part about the NBP dragged out, SIRO basically decided it wasn't worth their while and to concentrate on, what they need to make money.

So they pulled out.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Praetorian wrote: »
    Have my appointment for tomorrow morning install in Balbriggan. Fingers crossed no issues blowing the fibre through. The newly installed duct / junction is right outside my house.

What were the deals for 150Mb and 300Mb?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo. Within that coverage nearly 2000 premises were added.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

50+ premises at Clay Farm, Dublin 18 also have been released, but have to be ordered manually, as they don't have eircodes.

Actavo guys scheduled me the first call of the day as requested. Came exactly on time. Very nice friendly professional guys.

Unfortunately, the rod would not go down into the duct and my install cannot proceed without a little bit of civil work. Shame as apparently I would have been the first person in Balbriggan :-)

A quick thought on it. It looks like it would be beneficial if they had some sort of camera system / manoeuvring system on the end of the rod. Do any telecoms companies operate that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://siro.ie/east-coast/

Obelisk workers in Enniscorthy for the last couple of days.

SIRO are going to run a Gigabit promotion from 1. May, which I believe most SIRO operators will take part in.

So we've lowered our 150 Mbit pricing and the pricing for the new promo is also on the website now.

Our pricing can be found at: http://www.airwire.ie/products

Existing customers can migrate to the promo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

SIRO are going to run a Gigabit promotion from 1. May, which I believe most SIRO operators will take part in.

So we've lowered our 150 Mbit pricing and the pricing for the new promo is also on the website now.

3TB cap is getting realistic.

KOR101 wrote: »
    3TB cap is getting realistic.

That was standard with us for the Gigabit connection from the get to, when we started offering them.

Lot of people get near the 1TB limit of other providers. Even on 150 Mbit or VDSL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If only OpenEir would do the same.

same about the data caps. 1tb data allowance with 300/1000 meg connections in 2018 is just not realistic.

An average xbox/Ps4/Steam game download is over 1/20th of a total monthly allowance. Some Xbox One X games are close to 100 gigs each because of 4k textures.

Gonzo wrote: »
    If only OpenEir would do the same.

OpenEIR wholesale pricing is more expensive than SIRO as is already.

I don't think we'll be seeing anything there at the moment. The only changes will be new packages at some point and hopefully supervectoring on VDSL this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OE is more expensive but we must remember they're getting a lot more done at the same time. Being cheap is fine but if you only serve a few thousand households who cares.

OpenEIR wholesale pricing is more expensive than SIRO as is already.

I don't think we'll be seeing anything there at the moment. The only changes will be new packages at some point and hopefully supervectoring on VDSL this year.

hopefully the new packages will have higher data limits! I'm well happy with my 300/50 speed from Eir but an increase in the data cap would be most welcome.

I'm going to see if OpenEir can once and for all fix my Eircode issue, as my house is the only one on the whole road not passing for Airwire due to the eircode issue!

The only reason I pass for Eir and Dgiweb FTTH is because their checker also checks the phone number as well as the eircode.

ED E wrote: »
    OE is more expensive but we must remember they're getting a lot more done at the same time. Being cheap is fine but if you only serve a few thousand households who cares.

OpenEIR currently have 185k houses passed with FTTH. That includes urban figures.

SIRO was at over 150k end of March. Our last sync shows over 40k between Athlone, Carrickmines, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo alone.

There is not that much of a difference there. And a lot of what SIRO does involves civils, which is a lot more costly and time consuming than the overhead spans of OpenEIR. When SIRO is doing overhead spans, it involves a lot more labour, too, as ESB linesmen need to be brought out.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm going to see if OpenEir can once and for all fix my Eircode issue, as my house is the only one on the whole road not passing for Airwire due to the eircode issue!

I wouldn't worry about that. We can also look up on phone number or other ways. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

Also SIROs database involves some problems with premises that don't have Eircodes. Every single premise in Clay Farm, Carrickmines doesn't have an Eircode.

The checker only is a guideline.

OpenEIR currently have 185k houses passed with FTTH. That includes urban figures.

SIRO was at over 150k end of March. Our last sync shows over 40k between Athlone, Carrickmines, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise and Sligo alone.

There is not that much of a difference there. And a lot of what SIRO does involves civils, which is a lot more costly and time consuming than the overhead spans of OpenEIR. When SIRO is doing overhead spans, it involves a lot more labour, too, as ESB linesmen need to be brought out.

My impression of the delta was wrong so. Hopefully SIRO eating OEs dinner in towns will push the SV efforts on quickly. Low work for a reasonable yield to all subs.

Impressed with Actavo. Really responsive can do attitude.

So my civils are already done today and the cable is ready for the technician next week.

Photos attached.

• Advertisement

A SIRO installation definatly is a different experience to most. They tend to go the extra mile.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

So my civils are already done today and the cable is ready for the technician next week.

Photos attached.

Even comes with training wheels...:)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Yes have to agree when I had SIRO installed they did a super job as I need the fibre cable and ONT installed in a comms room the complete opposite side of the house from where my ESB box was and dispite the lashing rain the guy was like no problem at all and did super tidy work.

Now all I need is digiweb to offer the 1gb SIRO promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 philyb

Vodafone summer sale, got a call at door today from Vodafone sale rep I was in middle of something so couldn't chat . He was offering sidro 1000gbit +TV and phone for 25e for Frist 6 months and then reverts back 55e a Month
    I think this is a great offer.
    I have pre ordered off digiweb 350mbit for 55e a month but thinking about not now

Is this a good offer what is Vodafone TV like and what is sidro like with Vodafone.

The reason for going with digiweb was because Irish have call center in Ireland and were offering best price at time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Just ordered the Gigabit service with Vodafone. They offered me €25 for first 6 months then €45 thereafter. Appointment is for Thursday 10th May. Currently paying €45 for 100Mbps service so happy with that.

I'm in Balbriggan in case anyone asks.

Finally. Waited a long time for this. :)

I have to phone eir to cancel my phone line.

Impressed by downloading at 88 megs a second, and it doesn't even bother the response times. :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7273837489

C:\Users\d>ping www.rte.ie -t

Pinging www.rte.ie [104.16.41.72] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 104.16.41.72: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 104.16.41.72:
    Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 4ms
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Users\d> ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [104.20.70.96] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 104.20.70.96: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 104.20.70.96:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\d>

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Finally. Waited a long time for this. :)

I have to phone eir to cancel my phone line.

Impressed by downloading at 88 megs a second, and it doesn't even bother the response times. :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7273837489

C:\Users\d>ping www.rte.ie -t

Pinging www.rte.ie [104.16.41.72] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 104.16.41.72:
    Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Users\d> ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [104.20.70.96] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 104.20.70.96:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\d>
    I see you're familiar with the tradition in this thread, haha. Where is that, and who are you with?

Does anyone know what is the absolute best equipment to use to replace the Huawei 659 for Siro. It's truly such a POS.

Does anyone know what is the absolute best equipment to use to replace the Huawei 659 for Siro. It's truly such a POS.

- Fritz!Box 7560, 7590.
    - Mikrotik Routerboard 1100AHx4 (no Wifi).

I'm sure there's others from Draytek, Asus, TP-link, but haven't had my fingers on those, yet.

/M

• Advertisement

PF Sense box?

If not avoid Asus, recently theyve been enabling UPnP on WAN so on the ban list. Little disappointed with TPs WebUI so it'd be Netgear/Mikro/Ubi for me.

Advertisement