Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks Ed e & Marlow

I'll try and find the best prices for the models you suggested.

What Fritzbox model are digiweb using?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Praetorian wrote: »
    Thanks Ed e & Marlow

I'll try and find the best prices for the models you suggested.

What Fritzbox model are digiweb using?

4040 (without VoIP), 7560 (with VoIP) is what is used by Airwire, Digiweb, Lightnet, Westnet and I believe Net1.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

What is vodaphones allowance for the 1gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

Marlow wrote: »
    - Fritz!Box 7560, 7590.
    - Mikrotik Routerboard 1100AHx4 (no Wifi).

I'm sure there's others from Draytek, Asus, TP-link, but haven't had my fingers on those, yet.

/M

What about the UniFi Security Gateway Pro 4? I currently use UniFi switches and AP's and find them very good. I'm moving to Siro and would like to use UniFi for the routing too.

Does it have enough power for a 1Gb connection? This is domestic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement

1 TB month for all their fiber products. It's in the terms and conditions.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

1 TB month for all their fiber products. It's in the terms and conditions.

/M
    They don't charge or throttle you if you go over though.

digiman wrote: »
    They don't charge or throttle you if you go over though.

No. They just suspend your connection, if you do it too often or cancel it on you.

And they may even not do that, but they have that escape clause in their terms, so if they decide to screw you they can.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

No. They just suspend your connection, if you do it too often or cancel it on you.

And they may even not do that, but they have that escape clause in their terms, so if they decide to screw you they can.

/M

They may have the right to do that but in actual reality they don't. I'm sure if someone is downloading or uploading the entire Internet 24/7 then they would but again nobody is actually doing that either.

digiman wrote: »
    They may have the right to do that but in actual reality they don't. I'm sure if someone is downloading or uploading the entire Internet 24/7 then they would but again nobody is actually doing that either.

Vodafones network is fairly contended, which could be seen during the 3 snow days. So you never know, when they decide to invoke that one.

Then again, a lot of the other providers have the same limit one way or the other. Not many, that offer you more.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Think I prefer digiweb over vodaphone. Maybe it's just me though. €45 for 1gb and unlimited phone seems good. When I am paying virgin €59 now for phone and 240mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

ED E wrote: »
    PF Sense box?

If not avoid Asus, recently theyve been enabling UPnP on WAN so on the ban list. Little disappointed with TPs WebUI so it'd be Netgear/Mikro/Ubi for me.
    You can enable or disable UPnP on Wan with Asus Wireless Routers
    It's a standard option to enable or disable has been for a long time with their routers

ASUS WAN - Internet Connection
    Basic Config
    WAN Connection Type
    Enable WAN Yes/No
    Enable NAT Yes/No
    Enable UPnP Yes/No
    Enable secure UPnP mode Yes/No

Asus Wireless Routers are very good

paulboland wrote: »
    You can enable or disable UPnP on Wan with Asus Wireless Routers
    It's a standard option to enable or disable has been for a long time with their routers

ASUS WAN - Internet Connection
    Basic Config
    WAN Connection Type
    Enable WAN Yes/No
    Enable NAT Yes/No
    Enable UPnP Yes/No
    Enable secure UPnP mode Yes/No

Asus Wireless Routers are very good

Thats fine, but tyranny of the default.
    There are worms on the 'Net that are checking routers for vulnerabilities. There's Universal Plug and Play that is enabled by default. My own ASUS, a recent ASUS router that I purchased, I was very impressed. It had "Respond to ICMP ping request" disabled on the LAN, but UPnP enabled on the WAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Think I prefer digiweb over vodaphone. Maybe it's just me though. €45 for 1gb and unlimited phone seems good. When I am paying virgin €59 now for phone and 240mb

How you finding them overall? I have heard bad reports at times.

Have launched in recent weeks in Sligo, and have been tempted. Then got letter this morning from Vodafone, that they upgrading all customers in Sligo to Siro, and are retiring their old service (I assume by that, they mean as an ISP on the Eir Network.

More tempted to move now, as Digiweb are cheaper by month compared to Vodafone, on Siro Network, however Vodafones opening offer of €25/Month for first 6 is also tempting, but not sure if I want to time my self up for another term.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It had "Respond to ICMP ping request" disabled on the LAN...
    As an aside, anything that doesn't reply to ICMP echo requests is broken. I don't care how well-intentioned it is, it's broken.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    How you finding them overall? I have heard bad reports at times.

Have launched in recent weeks in Sligo, and have been tempted. Then got letter this morning from Vodafone, that they upgrading all customers in Sligo to Siro, and are retiring their old service (I assume by that, they mean as an ISP on the Eir Network.

More tempted to move now, as Digiweb are cheaper by month compared to Vodafone, on Siro Network, however Vodafones opening offer of €25/Month for first 6 is also tempting, but not sure if I want to time my self up for another term.

Airwire is also available in Sligo, so there should be a good few choices, if you're within the SIRO rollout.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Praetorian wrote: »
    Finally. Waited a long time for this. :)

I have to phone eir to cancel my phone line.

Impressed by downloading at 88 megs a second, and it doesn't even bother the response times. :)

How many power sockets where required for your SIRO installation?

GristlyEnd wrote: »
    How many power sockets where required for your SIRO installation?

All FTTH is two, ONT and Router. A mains doubler cube would be fine assuming clearance for the PSUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

currently on Vodafone siro 350, looks like i can upgrade to 1000/200 for same price. must give them a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

not available to current siro customers :(

• Advertisement

jimmad wrote: »
    not available to current siro customers :(

Bad form. Other providers offer the change.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Digiweb's offer for Siro 1000 is 10 euros per month for first 2 months, then 55 per month after. Still incredibly good value. Far cheaper compared to services on OpenEir.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Gonzo wrote: »
    Digiweb's offer for Siro 1000 is 10 euros per month for first 2 months, then 55 per month after. Still incredibly good value. Far cheaper compared to services on OpenEir.

Any thoughts on transfering services from Eir to Siro yet?

bloodyhawk wrote: »

Not straight forward. What kind of services are you thinking off ?

If it's broadband services, then it's a cancel and order. If it's phone-services, then it's doable, depending on your provider.

They are different networks and systems.

/M

Arguably its fine for BB only. Order B then cancel A only once B goes live. Either direction.

ED E wrote: »
    Arguably its fine for BB only. Order B then cancel A only once B goes live. Either direction.

Haha. In a sensible world, yes.

I've seen scenarios where provider B said, they'll cancel the connection for the customer. Not to worry. Then provider realises, that isn't possible, because different system, so they forget about it and don't tell the customer.

Next customer is paying for 2 connections.

People expect that the provider takes care of it, if they aren't used to alternative networks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Not straight forward. What kind of services are you thinking off ?

If it's broadband services, then it's a cancel and order. If it's phone-services, then it's doable, depending on your provider.

They are different networks and systems.

/M

It's not about me. Gonzo mentioned of possibly transfering a while ago, I wanted to get a follow up if he still feels the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Still no SIRO in Mountmellick?! Probably bypass us like they did with the gas and go to Emo instead… :rolleyes:

mad muffin wrote: »
    Still no SIRO in Mountmellick?! Probably bypass us like they did with the gas and go to Emo instead… :rolleyes:

Mountmellick isn't precisely urban.

Portlaoise is enabled. Tullamore is planned.

For Mountmellick you'll have to check for OpenEir providers.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bloodyhawk wrote: »

I live in a rural area so Siro is unlikely to be ever an option for me. Siro are planning to rollout their network to Dunshaughlin but I very much doubt they will run it behind the town urban boundary into the countryside.

I am still with Eir for FTTH, my only real option for moving is either Digiweb/Pure and they are basically the same price and FUP as Eir.

Advertisement