Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Marlow wrote: »
    Mountmellick isn't precisely urban.

Portlaoise is enabled. Tullamore is planned.

For Mountmellick you'll have to check for OpenEir providers.

/M

I thought I read here, last year that they were ripping up the town again to install SIRO. Maybe not after all…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Just signed up to Vodafone siro. 1 gigabit for 25 pm for 6 months and 45 there after.

Wouldn't mind only I rang yesterday enquiring and was told it wasn't in my estate even though I was here when they ran the wiring and my neighbour got it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Owryan wrote: »
    Just signed up to Vodafone siro. 1 gigabit for 25 pm for 6 months and 45 there after.

You mean 25 EUR for 6 months, 55 EUR thereafter: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

Digiweb is 10 EUR for 2 months, then 55 EUR.
    Airwire is 50 EUR, no price changes until the contract is up.

A good few of the SIRO operators now starting to offer the SIRO Gigabit promotion.

/M

You mean 25 EUR for 6 months, 55 EUR thereafter: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

Digiweb is 10 EUR for 2 months, then 55 EUR.
    Airwire is 50 EUR, no price changes until the contract is up.

A good few of the SIRO operators now starting to offer the SIRO Gigabit promotion.

/M

Nope 25 then 45

Nope 25 then 45

I'd double check that with them for sure. Their website above states differently. So unless you have that in writing, I wouldn't bet on it.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I'd double check that with them for sure. Their website above states differently. So unless you have that in writing, I wouldn't bet on it.

/M

I got the same offer and have in writing

GristlyEnd wrote: »
    I got the same offer and have in writing

That's fair enough. But I've seen how wrong Vodafones billing can go. I left them twice because of it.

And if they get it wrong, they never seem to manage to get it right again.

/M

/M

Oh I ll Def keep an eye on it thanks. Still it's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

I live in Limerick and currently have Vodafone FTTC. I have received a letter stating that from May 31st., 2018 Vodafone may not be in a position to
    continue my existing service as they plan to retire their older technology.
    They are offering an upgrade to Gigabit Broadband 1000Mbps at a cost of €25 pm for the first 6 months and then I will pay what I pay for my current service. Would like to hear if others have received a similar letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

lasno wrote: »
    I live in Limerick and currently have Vodafone FTTC. I have received a letter stating that from May 31st., 2018 Vodafone may not be in a position to
    They are offering an upgrade to Gigabit Broadband 1000Mbps at a cost of €25 pm for the first 6 months and then I will pay what I pay for my current service. Would like to hear if others have received a similar letter.

Yes I received the same letter and after an hour of panic, I re-read it a number of times and have come to the conclusion that I will sit tight, given the wording ('may' as opposed to 'wont'). I didn't care for the terminology 'current thereafter' tho. Seems a little bit iffy.

• Advertisement

Why on earth would you not want to move from FTTC to FTTH ?

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I saw somebody posted similar on the Vodafone talk to forum. Seems an odd thing to say, "we may not be in a position to continue your service". Either they will or they will not.

I wonder are they trying to force customers over to Siro where they have a greater profit margin? Will Vodafone actually stop selling VDSL in Siro FTTH enabled areas?

Will Vodafone actually stop selling VDSL in Siro FTTH enabled areas?

It would make sense, as it removes a lot of issues. Better lines, better linespeed, better margins.

Even from a consumer point of view ... the majority of lightning strikes in houses come through the phone line. No such issues with FTTH. And that's just one point.

There will be the odd house though, that doesn't get SIRO connected for various reasons (like houses with direct buried ESB supply).

/M

It would make sense, as it removes a lot of issues. Better lines, better linespeed, better margins.

Even from a consumer point of view ... the majority of lightning strikes in houses come through the phone line. No such issues with FTTH. And that's just one point.

/M

The wording in the letter seems shady though. "may not" smacks of fearmongering.

The wording in the letter seems shady though. "may not" smacks of fearmongering.

Maybe they're getting desperate since squads of sales reps were unsuccessful :D There is another reason: The current promo requires a certain percentage of Gbit/s uptake.

They may have sold too many 150 Mbit/s circuits :)

/M

This seems highly dodgy. Vodafone are writing to people insinuating their current service may end, enticing them onto a 1Gb service that up until recently was retailing at €90. They are promising customers that their current pricing will apply. Do we believe that Vodafone are going to leave their flagship 1Gb product at €55 per month indefinitely?

This seems highly dodgy. Vodafone are writing to people insinuating their current service may end, enticing them onto a 1Gb service that up until recently was retailing at €90. They are promising customers that their current pricing will apply. Do we believe that Vodafone are going to leave their flagship 1Gb product at €55 per month indefinitely?

No. The pricing on the current promo is guaranteed for 18 months only on a per customer basis and then reverts to normal pricing. Providers can downgrade customers without penalty in the month before that period ends.

It's down to the provider (or customer) what they do with that.

/M

No. The pricing on the current promo is guaranteed for 18 months only on a per customer basis and then reverts to normal pricing. Providers can downgrade customers without penalty in the month before that period ends.

It's down to the provider (or customer) what they do with that.

/M

It just seems, to me anyway, that they are pushing people onto a gigabit service that the majority don't need and will not be able to fully utilise. If customers are made fully aware of this 18 month price freeze and the subsequent price hikes I suppose it is fair enough. You would have to question why they didn't promote the 150Mb plan though, hoping for customer inertia maybe?

Ok. I checked about the offer I got. In my case it was a salesman who called. He rang back to arrange a time for installation and he said he has a list of customers to offer the price to.

For example, I currently pay 45pm for the 100mb package, my neighbour is on the up to 24mb package and she isn't on his list. So looks like they have targeted certain customers.

As for the price he said it's fixed for the 18months but if they raise it then I will have the option to get out. Tbh I was looking at their 150mb package for the price I'm currently paying but he'll, I'll gladly see if this gigabit package is worth it for the price.

You would have to question why they didn't promote the 150Mb plan though, hoping for customer inertia maybe?

Nah. Look at the irish broadband marketing landscape. It's all about speed and the initial pricing.

Eir has been playing that game for years. A real good example was their Urban FTTH project, which then silently fell under the table. It was announced, when Virgin started offering 240 and 360 Mbit/s and SIRO was maturing.
    Ok. I checked about the offer I got. In my case it was a salesman who called. He rang back to arrange a time for installation and he said he has a list of customers to offer the price to.

For example, I currently pay 45pm for the 100mb package, my neighbour is on the up to 24mb package and she isn't on his list. So looks like they have targeted certain customers.

You being on FTTC means, they're paying OpenEIR line rental. She being on 24 Mbit/s means, that she's probably on LLU, which is Vodafones own gear and they just rent a copper pair of OpenEIR. Different cost to them.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 BMacccc

From experience i think Vodafone normally sell low at the start and automatically up the price 12 months into an 18 month contract. Would much prefer Digiweb's offering as you get the Fritz modem plus their Tech guys are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

So is Digiweb or Vodafone better? Are they offering different routers as part of the package? Are they fully capable routers of delivering speeds of this kind over the air?

This new offer of 25x6 and 55x6 (though I see some got a 45 which I'll have to angle for) is tempting, but I've heard some rough things about Vodafone as a service

Digiwebs offer of 10x2 and 55x10 is obviously about 90 euro more a year, but is there something about their service, technology that might make that the smarter move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMacccc

Digiweb supply a Fritzbox router which is best in class IMO, i think VF are supplying an Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can always buy your own fritzbox with money you save from vf. What happens if you have vf vdsl, does the billing and service seemlessly move across with no loss in service

This new offer of 25x6 and 55x6 (though I see some got a 45 which I'll have to angle for) is tempting, but I've heard some rough things about Vodafone as a service

Vodafone is always a 18 months contract on SIRO. No short contracts possible.

Digiweb does 12 months contracts. Airwire gives options of 6, 12 or 18 months contracts.

/M

Mail gone out from SIRO to end-users today stating that Shannon will go live in a few weeks, which is great news.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

No install for me today. Vodafone gave the engineer the wrong address and Eircode number even though I've been a customer with them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Same letter in Sligo.
    I saw somebody posted similar on the Vodafone talk to forum. Seems an odd thing to say, "we may not be in a position to continue your service". Either they will or they will not.

I wonder are they trying to force customers over to Siro where they have a greater profit margin? Will Vodafone actually stop selling VDSL in Siro FTTH enabled areas?

That may have been me.

Really need to ring them, as the pricing wording is nor clear.

Am wondering after the 6 month period, does it revert to my current €50/Month, or the €55/month for the Siro Service.

Looked at the Vodafone Website after receiving the letter, and could no longer see the 150mb/300Mb packages and only the €55 reduced from €90 for Gigabit (€25/month for for 6)

Am wondering do I really need Gigabit, concerned if they are pushing this on everyone, could there be a reduction in quality of service, and then the prices after 18 months.

Am quite happy with my current up to 100mb, and curently get 70/80 on eithernet and 30/40 on Wifi. Tempted to make the jump to Digiweb 150, even if there is a set up fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Anybody know what areas of Shannon are gonna be lit up first? And who are the providers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In reality, most people don't even maximise the 150, never mind more. So it prob doesn't matter what speed they give as the data cap is still there

Advertisement