Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

XsApollo wrote: »
    Anybody know what areas of Shannon are gonna be lit up first? And who are the providers?

Not sure about the areas but looks like Sky is one provider. Can't see any other for Shannon. See here:- https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

XsApollo wrote: »
    Anybody know what areas of Shannon are gonna be lit up first? And who are the providers?

Shannon will be the same providers as Limerick, as it's the same interconnect. So Airwire, Digiweb and Vodafone.

Nobody knows where they start though.

/M

peking97 wrote: »
    Not sure about the areas but looks like Sky is one provider. Can't see any other for Shannon. See here:- https://siro.ie/siro-broadband-partners/

Sky is not ready on SIRO yet. Not an option currently.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Marlow wrote: »
    Why on earth would you not want to move from FTTC to FTTH ?

/M

Hi M,

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I can see the cabinet from my house - it's across the road - and also I have a lifetime behind me of buying things that I do not need.

Regards,
    /G

groovie wrote: »
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but I can see the cabinet from my house - it's across the road - and also I have a lifetime behind me of buying things that I do not need.

Well, this for one is an upgrade, that makes sense. And it was directed at either of you 2 doubting things.

- the cabinet may be across the road, but the copper technology is a lot more prone to faults.
    - you may be able to get 100 Mbit/s now, but that's the max. With supervectoring, you might see 250 MBit/s, but that's it .. max .. no more.
    - with fiber you start at 150 Mbit/s and it can be upgraded beyond 10 Gbit/s as time goes on without having to change the line.
    - latency on fiber lower
    - the majority of lightning strikes in irish homes come through the phone line. Fiber doesn't carry electricity

Just a few reasons, why it's nonsense not to let them change it to fiber, if you don't intend to change provider.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Vodafone nears €18bn game-changing Liberty Global deal (Liberty Global owns Virgin Media)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-nears-18bn-game-changing-liberty-global-deal-1.3488167

Although it's not clear if it will include UK/Ireland.

https://www.ft.com/content/fc5fbcb8-0a71-11e8-839d-41ca06376bf2

KOR101 wrote: »
    Vodafone nears €18bn game-changing Liberty Global deal (Liberty Global owns Virgin Media)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-nears-18bn-game-changing-liberty-global-deal-1.3488167

Although it's not clear if it will include UK/Ireland.

It doesn't.
    It covers Liberty Global’s operations in four European countries – Germany, Hungary, Romania and Czech Republic – and does not affect the ownership of Liberty’s UK and Ireland subsidiary Virgin Media.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

Vodafone just rang me looking to get into an 18 month contract for €5 (usual price €55) off for the next three months on my current 350mbps plan.

Told them no thanks as 1000 mbps available for the same price with themselves and digiweb for same price. Might switch to digiweb. What's the consensus on their product/service?

Not had any real issues with VF but might as well go for the superior product if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMacccc

In my experience the modem and customer service is superior with Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

sibersha wrote: »
    Vodafone just rang me looking to get into an 18 month contract for €5 (usual price €55) off for the next three months on my current 350mbps plan.

Told them no thanks as 1000 mbps available for the same price with themselves and digiweb for same price. Might switch to digiweb. What's the consensus on their product/service?

Not had any real issues with VF but might as well go for the superior product if available.

Are you on Siro at the minute and in contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

jimmad wrote: »
    Are you on Siro at the minute and in contract?

Yeah on the 350 package but my 18 months has expired so just on rolling contract at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

sibersha wrote: »
    Yeah on the 350 package but my 18 months has expired so just on rolling contract at the minute.

Ah im still in contract another 6 months wont let me extend to avail of the new deal also on the 350 meg package, very disappointing when Digiweb are, when December comes my business will be going to Dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Ordered Digiweb on monday and it is being installed tomorrow, was lucky to get a cancellation appointment but they have been great to order off

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I should probably mention in passing that we're offering a promotional deal on SIRO gigabit connections also - 18 months of 1000Mb/s for €45, the same price as 150Mb/s.

We should probably be making more noise about it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I should probably mention in passing that we're offering a promotional deal on SIRO gigabit connections also - 18 months of 1000Mb/s for €45, the same price as 150Mb/s.

Whats the data cap on that?

Whats the data cap on that?

No caps on any of our FTTH or VDSL products.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That's a very good price. One wonders in 18 months time will they just make everyone 1Gb as most homes will never use anywhere near that bandwidth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

TheDriver wrote: »
    That's a very good price. One wonders in 18 months time will they just make everyone 1Gb as most homes will never use anywhere near that bandwidth

It won't stay at the discounted price though. When it goes back up to around €90 people might not be so keen to stay at 1Gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

You should - I couldn't see anything about it on your website, so I was about to make an order with Vodafone. I'll call your office this morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

No caps on any of our FTTH or VDSL products.

Is your openeir FTTH available nationwide?

spix wrote: »
    Is your openeir FTTH available nationwide?

Just Mayo and neighbouring counties, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

Hi I'm currently on a 240mb connection with virgin for 55euro but looking for a good upgrade. I've been looking at digiweb siro and vodafone siro. Are they as fast and reliable as they appear? Which one is recommended? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

So far iv had no issue with digiweb speed it great though im on wifi so i never go to the 1GB, they are the same system so either company would suit though digi web do 30 off both bills if you get somone else to join

they are the same system

Only the last mile is the same, so from the local distribution point to the customer.

After that, each company on SIRO has their own network. Quality, support, pricing, contention, limits, what router is provided and a lot other things differ.

Also not all of the SIRO providers for example offer the 600 Mbit/s package. And for example Vodafone only advertises 300 Mbit/s, while others are 350 Mbit/s.

So .. saying it's all the same system is essentially wrong.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

i have vodafone 300mb for 55€/month (+5€ for landline)but i see now in the website they not have 150 or 300 mb plans anymore, just 1.000. its for 55€ too, same price as i now pay for 300mbs. Anyone have a experience of upgrading from a packag to a higher one ? is it possible considering they are now same price, it would be silly to not upgrade! Is it just a simple case of them flick a switch and u have 1.000 since the router\modem is same?

hope someone have this experience before

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Anyone have a experience of upgrading from a packag to a higher one ?

Most SIRO providers have a Gigabit promotion running for the next couple months. Somebody here already posted, that Vodafone won't let you upgrade, if you're in contract.

Other providers will.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

When do siro update their databases?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

TheDriver wrote: »
    When do siro update their databases?

Generally end of the month. Sometimes, we get an update mid-month.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Sligo and Carrickmines.

Within that coverage approx 3000 homes were added last month.

There are a few around Clay Farm and Limerick, that don't have Eircodes, so these can't be checked on our checker. You have to contact us directly for these.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Advertisement