Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Sligo and Carrickmines.

Within that coverage approx 3000 homes were added last month.

There are a few around Clay Farm and Limerick, that don't have Eircodes, so these can't be checked on our checker. You have to contact us directly for these.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail
    Hi Martin. Sorry to go OT but what is the 'up to 250Mb/s' VDSL that ye offer? Thanks.
    452615.JPG

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Hi Martin. Sorry to go OT but what is the 'up to 250Mb/s' VDSL that ye offer? Thanks.

OpenEIRs VDSL platform will be upgraded to supervectoring throughout this year and faster speeds become available then. It's already being trialed on a few exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

OpenEIRs VDSL platform will be upgraded to supervectoring throughout this year and faster speeds become available then. It's already being trialed on a few exchanges.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Any list of trial exchanges available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

I got a letter from Vodafone about moving me to this. Can anyone please advise what Vodafone need to do if I sign up?

Do I need to setup a new router etc? I only upgraded recently enough so have the Huawei HG658c router already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. Question for those of you in the know......I live around two miles (as the crow flies) from Shannon town which is earmarked for siro rollout. As per the national broadband plan we are living the the amber zone i.e the are no plans for broadband yet. However today we received a notice from the ESB informing us of a supply interruption next week " to facilitate the rollout of fibre network". In the last week or so contractors working on behalf of ESB/siroe have been driving up and down our roads and examining poles along the road and in the fields behind us. Does this mean siro is coming down our road??? I checked their website but it just says coming soon to Shannon town....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Any list of trial exchanges available?

Its four trial cabs AFAIK. About 800 end users. See the supervector thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

nc6000 wrote: »
    I got a letter from Vodafone about moving me to this. Can anyone please advise what Vodafone need to do if I sign up?

Do I need to setup a new router etc? I only upgraded recently enough so have the Huawei HG658c router already.

They will need to bring a new fibre optic cable into your home. Most likely they will have to drill a hole to get the cable in. On the interior they fit a small box, the ONT. There needs to be power where the ONT is.

I believe the router Vodafone use is the Huawei HG659.

Here are some images of SIRO installations:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105231114&postcount=4198

They will need to bring a new fibre optic cable into your home. Most likely they will have to drill a hole to get the cable in. On the interior they fit a small box, the ONT. There needs to be power where the ONT is.

Thanks for that. Does my phone also plug into the ONT or will that stay on the existing socket?

What cable connects the router to the ONT?

I currently have a 10m RJ11 so I could move the router to a more central position to help with signal around the house. I'm guessing I might not be able to do this with the new router.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Does my phone also plug into the ONT or will that stay on the existing socket?

What cable connects the router to the ONT?

I currently have a 10m RJ11 so I could move the router to a more central position to help with signal around the house. I'm guessing I might not be able to do this with the new router.

The router connects to ONT by ethernet (RJ45). Technically you could move the router up to 100m away if you had 100m of cable.

In relation to the phone I am unsure what Vodafone do in cases such as yours. There is the capability for VoIP, where all your calls use the internet connection. In this case you would plug your phone into the router.

On the other hand they could leave your existing phone service in place. You would have to clarify with Vodafone which system they will use.

Hi all. Question for those of you in the know......I live around two miles (as the crow flies) from Shannon town which is earmarked for siro rollout. As per the national broadband plan we are living the the amber zone i.e the are no plans for broadband yet. However today we received a notice from the ESB informing us of a supply interruption next week " to facilitate the rollout of fibre network". In the last week or so contractors working on behalf of ESB/siroe have been driving up and down our roads and examining poles along the road and in the fields behind us. Does this mean siro is coming down our road??? I checked their website but it just says coming soon to Shannon town....

Sounds like it may be but to be sure you could ask one of the people doing the surveying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I checked their website but it just says coming soon to Shannon town....
    Yeah a bit confused myself. I'm in Shannon town and even though the SIRO website says Planned when I input my Eircode I had a VF rep at my door this evening (6th) offering an upgrade to 1Gb FTTH @ €25 for the first six months and €55 thereafter and would be connected in two weeks if I agreed!

Could that small external box B not be accommodated inside box A and a hole drilled through the wall from that point thereby eliminating the need for external wiring? (It's a garage wall in my case). Also, can you opt for a light-coloured cable rather than black?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cable rises into A, B's purpose is the match the ONT inside the house. If you could accommodate the ONT on the far side of wall from A on your home it would make the extension unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

peking97 wrote: »
    Could that small external box B not be accommodated inside box A and a hole drilled through the wall from that point thereby eliminating the need for external wiring? (It's a garage wall in my case).

This from Westnet's Paul last year
    the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yeah a bit confused myself. I'm in Shannon town and even though the SIRO website says Planned when I input my Eircode I had a VF rep at my door this evening (6th) offering an upgrade to 1Gb FTTH @ €25 for the first six months and €55 thereafter and would be connected in two weeks if I agreed!

I'm hoping that they really are coming to our area. I'm with imagine, paying 60 a month and barely getting 3 mb in the evenings. People on our road with eir are getting 3 - 4 mb. Ridiculous in this day and age

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could that small external box B not be accommodated inside box A and a hole drilled through the wall from that point thereby eliminating the need for external wiring? (It's a garage wall in my case). Also, can you opt for a light-coloured cable rather than black?

I don't think Actavo are permitted to put the ETB (box B) in the meter box (box A). They could conceivably put it right beside it if, as ED E says, you're happy with the matching location inside.

A light-coloured cable isn't an option. It's black because that's the colour of UV-stable outdoor cable jackets. You can always paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with a blocked duct? KN were not able to get the cobra down the ESB duct from the ESB pillar to the building. Now the eircode is coming up as unavailable even though all the buildings all around can order Siro, including the building adjoining us. Our current provider, Vodafone, are not interested in pushing this for us. This problem does not seem to prevent residential buildings signing up.

We are out of contract so can move. This is an industrial building in Ennis btw.

kevin.m wrote: »
    Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with a blocked duct? KN were not able to get the cobra down the ESB duct from the ESB pillar to the building. Now the eircode is coming up as unavailable even though all the buildings all around can order Siro, including the building adjoining us. Our current provider, Vodafone, are not interested in pushing this for us. This problem does not seem to prevent residential buildings signing up.

We are out of contract so can move. This is an industrial building in Ennis btw.

When you say, it's available, is it available generally or commercial build only ?

Try our check tool at http://www.airwire.ie/avail , enter your eircode and does it come back as "available" for SIRO. Or does it come back as "business packages only" ?

Generally SIRO will manage the entire build and there should be nothing to be done on your side.

Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with a blocked duct?

Here in Shannon blocked ducts were dealt with by the contractor TLI, they dug up the footpaths and unblocked them! Then they re-instated the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

When you say, it's available, is it available generally or commercial build only ?

Try our check tool at http://www.airwire.ie/avail , enter your eircode and does it come back as "available" for SIRO. Or does it come back as "business packages only" ?

Generally SIRO will manage the entire build and there should be nothing to be done on your side.

Hi Martin,

I don't understand your question. The eircode is showing up as unavailable on yours and Siro's checker but the eircode of the building next door shows available.

• Advertisement

Hi Martin,

I don't understand your question. The eircode is showing up as unavailable on yours and Siro's checker but the eircode of the building next door shows available.

Can you PM me the Eircode ? I've seen similar issues before, especially when multiple businesses share the same Eircode, but maybe only one is tagged as available.

The reason, that SIRO sometimes leaves single premises out is directly buried cables etc., but I'd need the Eircode to determine what exactly is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Whats the story with install if you are fed by overhead ESB power cables. My preferred location for the ONT would be in an eaves storage space adjoining an attic conversion bedroom which is the central point I ran all my dual CT100 Coax and Cat 5e for every room when renovating years ago. Its where Satellite potentially and currently Virgin Media cables come in. With the overhead powerline connected to the wall just under the eaves and then dropping to the meter box inset into the wall on the groundfloor, it would seem a bit silly to drop the fibre to the meter box and then straight back up from whence it came to the eaves to feed into my preferred entry point. Do the install engineers have some freedom in cases like these to do the smart thing or do they have to follow the ESB guidelines to the letter and run the fibre down to the meterbox and out again off to the customers chosen ONT location?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Overhead drops don't generally involve the meter box. The only reason that there will ever be fibre in the meter box is if that's where the ducting from the street comes in. With an overhead ESB drop, the fibre drop will be adjacent to the power lines.

I don't know if Actavo will install an ONT in what sounds like a side attic, but that's a discussion you can have with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Applied to join SkyTV's Siro trial and got a phone call this morning from a Sky Trial Rep today but missed it. Family member took the call. They'll be calling me back on Friday. Assuming what the family member said is correct, the Rep said that although all Bray Eircodes show that Siro is not available yet, this is going to change on Friday 15th???

So it looks like the Bray Siro Dark Fibre might be getting lit up very soon!! :D

Unfortunately for me after I did some more research, I have a feeling that I'll be out of luck wrt the trial. I'm near the seafront with overhead powerlines and I don't recall the ESB adding new cables in the last 5 years at least. ie. I've a feeling that even if Bray Eircodes start showing as Siro available in the immediate future, mine is unlikely to be one of them for another good while. I'd say its mainly ducted housing estates in Bray where the Fibre lights up.

In my research into Sky I also came across an article about Sky overing Dishless SkyQ in the next while. Might be UK only for a while of course. Sky TV without the Dish has to be via FTTH though I'd imagine. Satellite TV direct from Sky will have de-orbited. LOL :D

50092 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. It seems about 10000 connections are being installed per quarter.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or limitations on the length of cable they are willing to install from meter box to where they drill to mount the ONT? I'd be looking at 4-5m to get it to a point where my study / office is. The wall behind the meter box is covered by a built-in wardrobe in the main bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Alun wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or limitations on the length of cable they are willing to install from meter box to where they drill to mount the ONT? I'd be looking at 4-5m to get it to a point where my study / office is. The wall behind the meter box is covered by a built-in wardrobe in the main bedroom.

Iv seen them run over 5 meters, one house in my estate has the cable run half around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Iv seen them run over 5 meters, one house in my estate has the cable run half around the house
    Thanks, that's great to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Anyone know when Kilkenny City is due to go "live".
    Work finished 9 months ago in my estate by Siro,advertising in Kilkenny local papers the past 4 weeks that Siro is live and available in Kilkenny.
    Its live on Siro site,Digiweb,Vodaphone etc but as of Today nobody in Kilkenny has Siro(tried multiple addresses around the City).

Wtf?

• Advertisement

I've just cancelled an order for this. No mention of any 18 month contract and no mention of any drilling or other work when I signed up.

I think Vodafone tried to pull a fast one by sending a letter basically saying I had to move to SIRO to keep any service and then a follow up visit from a sales rep who doesn't mention most of the details like a new contract or new cable runs.

Advertisement