Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nc6000 wrote: »
    I've just cancelled an order for this. No mention of any 18 month contract and no mention of any drilling or other work when I signed up.

I think Vodafone tried to pull a fast one by sending a letter basically saying I had to move to SIRO to keep any service and then a follow up visit from a sales rep who doesn't mention most of the details like a new contract or new cable runs.

Sky are looking for trialists on their forum.

I would assume that drilling is needed in each install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I've just cancelled an order for this. No mention of any 18 month contract and no mention of any drilling or other work when I signed up.

I think Vodafone tried to pull a fast one by sending a letter basically saying I had to move to SIRO to keep any service and then a follow up visit from a sales rep who doesn't mention most of the details like a new contract or new cable runs.

Yeah shady practices by Vodafone trying to scaremonger people into switching to a higher margin product for them. They still seem to be sending the letters if their Talk To forum is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

booterboy wrote: »
    Its live on Siro site,Digiweb,Vodaphone etc but as of Today nobody in Kilkenny has Siro(tried multiple addresses around the City).

Wtf?

They must be slow with the installation. I've requested it last week and the engineer is due on 10th July. 3 weeks waiting and hopefully they will show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah shady practices by Vodafone trying to scaremonger people into switching to a higher margin product for them. They still seem to be sending the letters if their Talk To forum is anything to go by.

Yes, all very shady. I'm strongly considering a move to Eir so I get Eir Sports for free as they have the rugby next season.

I've been with Vodafone for years. Nice of them trying to pull a fast one like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Erhm ... it says 18 months ANYWHERE on Vodafones website. They don't do SIRO contract with less of a contract.

Looksie: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

Same for their SIRO plans: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

Every products box says !!! "18 month contract" !!! And that's been the case from day 1.

If you don't like it ... plenty other providers on SIRO with different terms ....

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Sky are looking for trialists on their forum.

I would assume that drilling is needed in each install?

Yeah the Sky trial offer is free broadband for a year but doesn't include any phone service! Anyone know if it's still possible to get phone service only from any other provider?

peking97 wrote: »
    Yeah the Sky trial offer is free broadband for a year but doesn't include any phone service! Anyone know if it's still possible to get phone service only from any other provider?

Eh ? What has phone service to do with broadband.

Of course you can get phone service. Loads of options: get a landline, get it via VoIP, get a mobile phone.

Lots of providers for that. Nobody says, you have to get broadband to get a phone line or phone number.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Erhm ... it says 18 months ANYWHERE on Vodafones website. They don't do SIRO contract with less of a contract.

Looksie: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html

Same for their SIRO plans: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/gigabit-broadband.html

Every products box says !!! "18 month contract" !!! And that's been the case from day 1.

If you don't like it ... plenty other providers on SIRO with different terms ....

/M

I got the letter from Vodafone telling me that they were upgrading their broadband services in the area to Gigabit and that they would not be in a position to offer my existing service after 30 June.

The letter offered me an upgrade to Gigabit at a reduced rate of €25 for 6 months after which I would revert to my current price. There was no mention of any new contract or minimum term or any other conditions.

If the offer was subject to a new contract then the letter should have said this.

Co-incidentally a Vodafone rep called to the house within the next day or so claiming to be following up on the letter. Again he never mentioned any new contract or any other conditions.

The first mention of any 18 month contract was the email I received confirming my upgrade appointment.

Eh ? What has phone service to do with broadband.

Of course you can get phone service. Loads of options: get a landline, get it via VoIP, get a mobile phone.

Lots of providers for that. Nobody says, you have to get broadband to get a phone line or phone number.

/M
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I currently have VF FTTC BB and phone service over copper landline. If I were to take up Sky's offer of free Gigabit BB FTTH I would have no landline phone service from VF and I'm asking if I can get that separately from any other provider?

The first mention of any 18 month contract was the email I received confirming my upgrade appointment.

Well .... at least they mentioned it there. But an upgrade means a new contract with most providers. Eir retail will even stick you into a new contract on a house move .

/M

• Advertisement

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I currently have VF FTTC BB and phone service over copper landline. If I were to take up Sky's offer of free Gigabit BB FTTH I would have no landline phone service from VF and I'm asking if I can get that separately from any other provider?

And my post clearly stated, that there's loads of providers for that.

Nothing has changed there. Have you checked Comreg ? https://www.comreg.ie/compare

And if you don't want a landline (or the cost of it) for your phone, you could always go with an independant VoIP provider: goldfish.ie , vomino.ie etc.

Took me 2 google searches to find those links. Sad that some stuff needs to be spoon fed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

VF is the same: 18 months was slapped on me or pay a penalty.
    I've got the letter too, I agreed to upgrade and I'm still not convinced. I didn't like the way it was carried out.

Well .... at least they mentioned it there. But an upgrade means a new contract with most providers. Eir retail will even stick you into a new contract on a house move .

/M

It should have been clearly mentioned at the outset in the letter from Vodafone. Offering me an upgrade to a new service because my current service was being retired without mention of a new contract is very underhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

/M

It should have been clearly mentioned at the outset in the letter from Vodafone. Offering me an upgrade to a new service because my current service was being retired without mention of a new contract is very underhand.
    you have plenty of options to keep your crappy copper service if you’re happy with it.......in case you haven’t noticed on this thread, there are thousands of people (about 550K actually) that would bite your hand off to have the opportunity to get Siro FTTH because they are living with sub par broadband services ........so maybe consider the context of the thread, and if you’re so unhappy with the thought of a small hole in your wall and an 18month contract, then why not complain on their Talk to forum, as I don’t think you’re going to get much support here........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

padyjoe wrote: »
    VF is the same: 18 months was slapped on me or pay a penalty.
    I've got the letter too, I agreed to upgrade and I'm still not convinced. I didn't like the way it was carried out.

The T&C would be interesting here. They could move u to a new service, end the contract early etc but I don't see how they could force a new 18 month contract or financial penalty, surely the customer should be able to walk away from that catch-22? To be fair, I can see why the posters would be annoyed as they don't seem to want siro which is fair enough and shouldn't have to take it along with a renewed 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

TheDriver wrote: »
    The T&C would be interesting here. They could move u to a new service, end the contract early etc but I don't see how they could force a new 18 month contract or financial penalty, surely the customer should be able to walk away from that catch-22? To be fair, I can see why the posters would be annoyed as they don't seem to want siro which is fair enough and shouldn't have to take it along with a renewed 18 months.

Don't think they are forcing 18 month contract as they are giving people the option, saying we won't be providing service through copper lines, if you wish to stay with us, you will need to switch to our new Ftth and probably somewhere on that letter that was posted through the door was mention of an 18 month contract.

Don't know why somebody wouldn't ask is this putting me in a contract or wonder why they are giving you a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So are they free to leave their contract on vdsl with no penalty? I got impression that it was incurring a penalty?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TheDriver wrote: »
    So are they free to leave their contract on vdsl with no penalty? I got impression that it was incurring a penalty?

If the VDSL service is unilaterally withdrawn by Vodafone (is that what's being threatened?) then there can't be a penalty for refusing to enter into a new contract for a different service.

ctlsleh wrote:
    you have plenty of options to keep your crappy copper service if you’re happy with it.......in case you haven’t noticed on this thread, there are thousands of people (about 550K actually) that would bite your hand off to have the opportunity to get Siro FTTH because they are living with sub par broadband services ........so maybe consider the context of the thread, and if you’re so unhappy with the thought of a small hole in your wall and an 18month contract, then why not complain on their Talk to forum, as I don’t think you’re going to get much support here........

Fair enough, I hadn't considered people who have little or no broadband coverage.

I'm happy enough with the current service I get from them but think maybe they're better off trying to get decent broadband to people who want it rather than scare people into new products when there's no real need to.

I'm happy enough with the current service I get from them but think maybe they're better off trying to get decent broadband to people who want it rather than scare people into new products when there's no real need to.

The reason they want people off FTTC and onto SIRO is that it costs them less to provide. They have to either pay OpenEIR or SIRO every month for the last mile.

And SIRO costs less and it's in their own interest to keep SIRO busy, as they part financed that build-out.

It's very much possible, that they will abandon FTTC and OpenEIR completely in the future, which would force you to find another provider.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Sorry if this has been answered earlier but Siro called to the door this evening asking if they can run a cable through my property as they're bringing the service into the estate. Why can't they run this underground? Is there anything I need to be aware of if I agree to it? What for example if in a few years I didn't want the cable there?

vigos wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered earlier but Siro called to the door this evening asking if they can run a cable through my property as they're bringing the service into the estate. Why can't they run this underground? Is there anything I need to be aware of if I agree to it? What for example if in a few years I didn't want the cable there?

SIRO are using ESB infrastructure wherever they can. So poles, underground ducting etc.

Sometimes this is not feasable, when for example electrical wires have been directly buried etc, concreted footpaths, that make it possible to justify the civils.

So what they've done in a lot of urban areas is ran the fiber on the surface of buildings. So at 1st floor height for example along the front of the building. This is pretty much the same way NTL/Choorus/UPC/Virgin used to run their cable-tv coax and a lot of urban phone wires are ran.

Of course they can't just run the cables without permission. So they ask. If they don't get permission, then the area that they can't get to won't get fiber. If there is a big enough amount of houses that can't be got to, they will probably do the civils, but it means it'll take quite a few months longer until that area is enabled.

I'm not sure, where your property comes into the picture and how things look like around you, but they will probably have outlined this to you. There is a reason, if they come and ask you.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

vigos wrote: »

If its anything like Cable TV infrastructure, once you let them run the cable across your property they have whats called a wayleave and you'd be in serious trouble if you removed it. For example, say you give the wayleave because you are happy it doesn't look too bad and you are salivating at the prospect of gigabit broadband but eventually you sell the house and the new owner doesn't like the look of it running under the eaves of your house. He can't simply cut down the cable just because he doesn't like the look of it because the cable owner has a wayleave on that property for their cable regardless of the change in house ownership status. That said, I am sure that its possible to get them out in the future to move the cables should you build an extension for example just like our builder got several service providers out to move various cables when we were massively renovating our house a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Calibos wrote: »
    If its anything like Cable TV infrastructure, once you let them run the cable across your property they have whats called a wayleave and you'd be in serious trouble if you removed it. For example, say you give the wayleave because you are happy it doesn't look too bad and you are salivating at the prospect of gigabit broadband but eventually you sell the house and the new owner doesn't like the look of it running under the eaves of your house. He can't simply cut down the cable just because he doesn't like the look of it because the cable owner has a wayleave on that property for their cable regardless of the change in house ownership status. That said, I am sure that its possible to get them out in the future to move the cables should you build an extension for example just like our builder got several service providers out to move various cables when we were massively renovating our house a few years ago.

Thanks it was more or less that was what I was wondering about and if I no longer wanted cables across my property what rights would I have. Will enquire more with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If the VDSL service is unilaterally withdrawn by Vodafone (is that what's being threatened?) ...

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Yeah the Sky trial offer is free broadband for a year ,,,,,,,
    Has anyone got the call about the trial. What are the criteria they are using for selecting people?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

KOR101 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the call about the trial. What are the criteria they are using for selecting people?

they are looking for customers with existing BB and those that don't have BB or are not sky customers at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

they are looking for customers with existing BB and those that don't have BB or are not sky customers at all
    Have you actually got the call?

Yes I got a call from them. I have Sky TV but I'm with VF for VDSL BB and home phone (landline). I think the main criterion is your Eircode which lets them know if Gigabit speeds are available at your address.

• Advertisement

Have you actually got the call?

No, but it's something I'm involved in professionally.

Advertisement