Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

vigos wrote: »
    Thanks it was more or less that was what I was wondering about and if I no longer wanted cables across my property what rights would I have. Will enquire more with them

You don't want to be the guy who stops all of the neighbours getting broadband, but at the same time, be careful... I saw photos of a dog-awful crooked cable-tack effort by SIRO in Tralee along at about 8ft on a terrace. Get details.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Does anyone know if Siro installers are now using, I believe they're called 'swans neck' poles, on houses to get cables onto houses that are awkward or not high enough to reach?

I've noticed a couple of houses on my commute to work that seem to have them now on the front of the house to get the cable a bit higher to allow better routing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

kmurph wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Siro installers are now using, I believe they're called 'swans neck' poles, on houses to get cables onto houses that are awkward or not high enough to reach?

I've noticed a couple of houses on my commute to work that seem to have them now on the front of the house to get the cable a bit higher to allow better routing for it.

The L-bracket you're referring to is used for overhead installations. Been used by them for quite a while now.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ihatecocopops

What kind of fiber cable to they use for the install. I'm currently running other cables in the house and it would be great to have the fiber cable installed exactly to where i want it in the house and run it to the esb meter. 

Will the installer even use a pre run cable if it was there, id have quite a long run from my ESB box to the nearest double socket and id imagine they would want to run the shortest route possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Sad to report that Sky are applying a 1tb FUP on their trial with SIRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

ffs really thought Sky Siro would be unlimited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »

We can assume it will be the same on Openeir if they ever actually launch.

We can assume it will be the same on Openeir if they ever actually launch.
    Probably so, the language about usage is really tough. Nobody would like the trial cancelled on them, so Sky may not get an accurate reflection of things from the trial. My own usage can go from nill to massive. Averaged out it would be less than 1tb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

They're running fibre - ON HOUSES??????:eek:

It was expected, that they wouldn't do that without at least a FUP. They're running on a shoe-string budget as it is, the way they're selling their internet connections.

The only reason they're making money is from the extra revenue from the tv-service.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

9726_9726 wrote: »
    You don't want to be the guy who stops all of the neighbours getting broadband, but at the same time, be careful... I saw photos of a dog-awful crooked cable-tack effort by SIRO in Tralee along at about 8ft on a terrace. Get details.

Well I did make enquiries and not exactly happy with the response so neighbours aside I won’t be going ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

vigos wrote: »
    Well I did make enquiries and not exactly happy with the response so neighbours aside I won’t be going ahead with it.

Can you elaborate on your concerns and why their response was not sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Can anyone give me some info on the cable used from the ESB cabinet to the ONT? I have an install booked for next week and I would like to have the cable entry hole drilled in advance. Wondering what diameter drill bit to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Installers usually use a 10 or 12 mm drill bit.
    I wouldn't do what your planning though, as where you drill the hole may not suit the installer and you also need to be wary of hitting gas, water and esb services.
    You may just be left with a hole in your wall that will need filling.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I wouldn't do what your planning though.
    Normally I'd agree it's just that my install will be non-standard in the sense that I want the cable entering as close as possible to the ESB meter cabinet and then up through a garage ceiling, then through the garage attic and in through the house gable into an upstairs bedroom where I want to locate the router! So you can see it gets fairly convoluted and I imagine the installer wouldn't be happy. So I want to have a draw line in place before he arrives.

peking97 wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree it's just that my install will be non-standard in the sense that I want the cable entering as close as possible to the ESB meter cabinet and then up through a garage ceiling, then through the garage attic and in through the house gable into an upstairs bedroom where I want to locate the router! So you can see it gets fairly convoluted and I imagine the installer wouldn't be happy. So I want to have a draw line in place before he arrives.

Not sure, if you get the installer to go into the attic (health and safety reasons). So you may have to put ducting with a pull rope in place, if you want to go that route.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi, We have our Electric broadband powered by Siro service available to 2656 premises in Kilkenny at the moment. Another 1265 premises will come on stream at the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You might not want to post your address to the public internet.

Got an install date :):):):):):):):)

Is there any problem with them installing the modem in a 1st floor room?

I certainly hope not 'cos that's where mine is going!

• Advertisement

Hi, send me a PM with your Eircode and we'll check. Thanks

If useful to anyone here is a breakdown of the location of new premises where our Electric broadband powered by Siro service is being made available from tomorrow morning

Athlone 453
    Dublin West 1251
    Castlebar 765
    Carlow 165
    Clay Farm 59
    Dundalk 9
    Kilkenny 1265
    Letterkenny 66
    Limerick 2021
    Mullingar 4
    Kildare 144
    Portlaoise 1
    Wexford 2
    Total 6205

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Digiweb wrote: »
    If useful to anyone here is a breakdown of the location of new premises where our Electric broadband powered by Siro service is being made available from tomorrow morning

Athlone 453
    Dublin West 1251
    Castlebar 765
    Carlow 165
    Clay Farm 59
    Dundalk 9
    Kilkenny 1265
    Letterkenny 66
    Limerick 2021
    Mullingar 4
    Kildare 144
    Portlaoise 1
    Wexford 2
    Total 6205
    Which town?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Athlone 453
    Dublin West 1251
    Castlebar 765
    Carlow 165
    Clay Farm 59
    Dundalk 9
    Kilkenny 1265
    Letterkenny 66
    Limerick 2021
    Mullingar 4
    Kildare 144
    Portlaoise 1
    Wexford 2
    Total 6205
    When is it planned for Waterford?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Carrickmines (includes Clay Farm), Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

Within that coverage approx 3500 homes were added last month.

Just over 1000 of these have been added in Shannon alone.

There are a few around Clay Farm and Limerick, that don't have Eircodes, so these can't be checked on our checker. You have to contact us directly for these.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

cunnijo wrote: »
    Which town?

Newbridge - 58
    Johnstown - 7
    Kill - 66
    Sallins - 14

Irishder wrote: »
    When is it planned for Waterford?

Waterford looking like the end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Any details as to where in west Dublin?

Any details as to where in west Dublin?

Ballymun, Finglas & Glasnevin. If you'd like to send a PM with an Eircode we can check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Newbridge - 58
    Johnstown - 7
    Kill - 66
    Sallins - 14

Any updates as to when Naas will be done?

Advertisement