Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Digiweb wrote: »
    Ballymun, Finglas & Glasnevin. If you'd like to send a PM with an Eircode we can check it out

Cheers I already checked on the Siro site, but Clondalkin doesn't seem to be part of the expansion plans currently :(

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Lots of Naas already covered, if you send PM with Eircode we can check it out
    cunnijo wrote: »
    Any updates as to when Naas will be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Just a quick question about network adapters.

I'm a bit all over the place accommodation wise at the minute, so the 1gbit SIRO connection is going in somewhere where I only have a crummy PC and laptop neither of which have good network adapters.

Is a USB 3.0-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter the solution for the PC?

The USB wifi adapters which might work for the laptop seem to top out at 300mb. Is that correct?

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »

I'm a bit all over the place accommodation wise at the minute, so the 1gbit SIRO connection is going in somewhere where I only have a crummy PC and laptop neither of which have good network adapters.

The USB wifi adapters which might work for the laptop seem to top out at 300mb. Is that correct?

Any recommendations?

A good quality USB3 to Gbit/s adapter works no problem. Your PC still has to have the CPU power to utilize the connection though.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with a dual-core Intel i7 and an Anker USB3-to-Gbit adapter and usually get about 890-910 Mbit/s on a speedtest.

A lot of the PCs with i5 CPUs only see around 700-750 Mbit/s.

This is the one, I use: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-USB-3-0-to-RJ45-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting-10-1/322911289099

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    A good quality USB3 to Gbit/s adapter works no problem. Your PC still has to have the CPU power to utilize the connection though.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with a dual-core Intel i7 and an Anker USB3-to-Gbit adapter and usually get about 890-910 Mbit/s on a speedtest.

A lot of the PCs with i5 CPUs only see around 700-750 Mbit/s.

This is the one, I use: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-USB-3-0-to-RJ45-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting-10-1/322911289099

/M
    Thanks for that. Any pointers for the laptop?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Any pointers for the laptop?

My Thinkpad IS a laptop. With USB adapters, there is no difference. As I pointed out: it may not be your network adapter. If the laptop and/or computer isn't up to par, then you won't see the speeds.

/M

My Thinkpad IS a laptop. With USB adapters, there is no difference. As I pointed out: it may not be your network adapter. If the laptop and/or computer isn't up to par, then you won't see the speeds.

/M
    Okay I see, but my laptop will be used wirelessly in a different room.

Okay I see, but my laptop will be used wirelessly in a different room.

Well .. you've just added too many unknown factors to give an educated answer:

- what spec laptop ? CPU, wifi card, brand, model ?
    - how many walls between the laptop and the wireless router ?
    - how are these walls insulated ? Is it a modern building or an old cottage with massively thick walls ?
    - which SIRO provider or what router is used ?

Those are the things you'd need to tell before anyone even remotely could answer that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Digiweb wrote: »
    Lots of Naas already covered, if you send PM with Eircode we can check it out

PM with details sent.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Any recommendations?

Better to replace the Fast Ethernet network card in the PC with a Gb card but USB to Gb adapter is an easier option if not comfortable with swapping this out.

An 11ac (5Ghz) USB adapter should theoretically deliver higher Wifi throughput speeds over 5Ghz but there are many factors that will influence Wifi throughput in general e.g. for starters connecting devices specification must be 11ac (5Ghz) compatible, distance and mediums (doors, walls, ceilings, concrete, etc) between the device and Wifi router, device performance with processor speed and RAM in mind, device background applications, viruses, spyware, etc.

Powerline adapters will typically enhance Wifi coverage and throughput within your home providing they are connected directly to the wall sockets on same electrical circuit and the electrical circuit is in good condition.

Similarly Wifi extenders are also an option with the importance focused on placing the extender in a place as far as possible from the Wifi router and as close as possible to the problem areas.
    HOWEVER make sure they are placed where the signal strength and throughput is of good/excellent quality as if you place it in a place where the signal strength is average / poor you will only extend the average / poor signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Digiweb wrote:
    If useful to anyone here is a breakdown of the location of new premises where our Electric broadband powered by Siro service is being made available from tomorrow morning

Digiweb wrote:
    Athlone 453 Dublin West 1251 Castlebar 765 Carlow 165 Clay Farm 59 Dundalk 9 Kilkenny 1265 Letterkenny 66 Limerick 2021 Mullingar 4 Kildare 144 Portlaoise 1 Wexford 2 Total 6205

Any idea when Skerries/Rush is being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

SmallBalls wrote: »

Skerries/Rish is only listed as planned on the siro site

SmallBalls wrote: »
    That's a good question. I don't see them around Balbriggan any more. About 9 months before it goes live in Skerries you should see obvious work going on at electricity junction boxes. The amount of civils it takes is truly unreal so you will see pavments being dug up and road traffic management crews at regular intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

That's a good question. I don't see them around Balbriggan any more. About 9 months before it goes live in Skerries you should see obvious work going on at electricity junction boxes. The amount of civils it takes is truly unreal so you will see pavments being dug up and road traffic management crews at regular intervals.

I can say the same here in Naas. There seems to be no Siro/Averto activity around the town. It seems they are installing in newer housing estates and then claiming that a town is live when over 70% of the town has seen nothing. This applies to many other towns as well I'm sure. Each town should be completed before moving on to another. Very misleading

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Each town should be completed before moving on to another. Very misleading
    So they shouldn't build a single house in Westport until they've passed every single house in Castlebar?

I'm glad they don't see it your way.

Each town should be completed before moving on to another. Very misleading

It's not Actavo doing the build-out. They only do the installations.

SIRO builds these networks with different contractors being Gaeltec, Huawei, KN, TLI etc. etc. etc.

Depending on where it is in Ireland, how the network is going to be build and who got awarded with the contract.

Building one town after the other is completely nonsense.

That would also mean, that no new houses get connected after the rollout in a town is finished.

Look at Portlaoise for example. 1 (ONE !!) house got listed in the last month. Simply because the Portlaoise build is more or less finished, but a new house was build since.

If they went by your logic ... you'd look at a much bigger mess. And that poor lad could wait very long to be connected.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

It's not Actavo doing the build-out. They only do the installations.

SIRO builds these networks with different contractors being Gaeltec, Huawei, KN, TLI etc. etc. etc.

Depending on where it is in Ireland, how the network is going to be build and who got awarded with the contract.

Building one town after the other is completely nonsense.

That would also mean, that no new houses get connected after the rollout in a town is finished.

Look at Portlaoise for example. 1 (ONE !!) house got listed in the last month. Simply because the Portlaoise build is more or less finished, but a new house was build since.

If they went by your logic ... you'd look at a much bigger mess. And that poor lad could wait very long to be connected.

/M

Actavo build network as well do the installs for SIRO

melonstar wrote: »
    Actavo build network as well do the installs for SIRO

That was covered with
    etc. etc. etc.

What I was pointing out was that just because you don't see Actavo around doesn't mean, that SIRO isn't building network.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

So, the installation guys have been digging and drilling happily for the past two weeks where I live and I am wondering how to find out when it will be actually available to my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

LOL Sky are supplying a router with one free Ethernet port on a 1Gb/s service!

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057890155

• Advertisement

That's actually funny as f*** ... obviously you can connect a switch to that, but it's extremely short-sighted to pick hardware that's set up like that.

The old Sky Hub had 4 ports to use.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I'm confused. Sky have finally gotten a package offer for SIRO?

It's still in a trial stage I believe.

Not to the public yet. Only to those select, that applied and where they considered using them for a trial. Could still be a good while, before they're officially available going by the way they usually do things.

/M

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057890155
    Could be this one.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1404519/sky-q-hub-review-a-well-overdue-router-upgrade

Yeah that's it I assume.

That's to be assumed, yes.

The wireless performance of that thing is atrocious.

As a comparison ... I managed 450 Mbit/s on a Samsung S5 and 670 Mbit/s on a Samsung S7 using a Fritz!Box 7560 and 4040.

The figures in the Sky thread linked above and that review of the Sky Q Hub suggests it won't even do 300 Mbit/s on Wifi.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ihatecocopops

Its the Sky Q Hub thats on the sky Ireland website
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/sky-hub/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm really not sure why anyone gives them any business. The worst CPE (worse than VM), Wonky routing with BT, support trained for UK processes, stingy with new services, unwillingness to deal with NLPs/Non Unique Addressing.

Bottom of the list. Their TV is great but get your connection from somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    I'm really not sure why anyone gives them any business. The worst CPE (worse than VM), Wonky routing with BT, support trained for UK processes, stingy with new services, unwillingness to deal with NLPs/Non Unique Addressing.

Bottom of the list. Their TV is great but get your connection from somebody else.

For the sports fan, getting TV via Sky and your broadband via eir to avail of BT sports is probably the best value for money. Also both are arguably best in class in the TV and broadband domains respectively.

Advertisement