Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

digiman wrote: »
    Also both are arguably best in class in the TV and broadband domains respectively.

Both are mediocre when it comes to broadband. High contention, mediocre router, eir additionally is expensive and is a nightmare billing and support wise.

The track record of eir being sued for overbilling alone shows that. If their support worked, you wouldn't need to sue them.

So I don't know how you came to the conclusion best in class ?

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Its the Sky Q Hub thats on the sky Ireland website
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/sky-hub/

It is a trial so it might change, the wifi is ok about the house like the speed is 280 Mbps but i reckon my old Asus router would have got a bit more speed.

Did you delete some of your posts in the Talk To thread or did Sky request them to be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

Marlow wrote: »
    Both are mediocre when it comes to broadband. High contention, mediocre router, eir additionally is expensive and is a nightmare billing and support wise.

The track record of eir being sued for overbilling alone shows that. If their support worked, you wouldn't need to sue them.

So I don't know how you came to the conclusion best in class ?

/M

In TV terms it's well known Sky are the best.

Regarding broadband, I've had eir FTTH for about 4 months and can only speak for my own experience that everything has been flawless since I have it. I had VM before that and have had issues with their CPE, Netflix running at 480p despite having a 4k sub and 240Mbps service.

I use my own CPE downstairs but do use it with the eir CPE upstairs.

I've never had any contention issues and any time I've done a speed test I get a min of 900Mbps download and always around the 100Mbps upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Eir's FTTH is a bit expensive now compared to the latest offers for SIRO though right? If you're snagging SIRO at the minute you're getting 25*6 then 55*12 on Voda, and similar with other providers. If Eir were coming close to that price range I'd consider it.

Though looking at the terms and conditions for Vodafone, after the 18 months at 1000mb, you default back to 150mb and whatever price that product is in 18 months. Which is such an odd condition to have in the contract. Why not just say 1000mb reverts back to 80/90 whatever. Anyway I digress. Fast internet is still hard business.

Eir's FTTH is a bit expensive now compared to the latest offers for SIRO though right? If you're snagging SIRO at the minute you're getting 25*6 then 55*12 on Voda, and similar with other providers. If Eir were coming close to that price range I'd consider it.

OpenEIRs regulated agreed pricing for their wholesale partners is already more expensive as is, than what SIRO is charging their partners.

On top of that SIRO has incentivisied the current Gbit promo with a price as low as nearly the price of the 150 Mbit/s packages. Only partners that agreed to partake get this pricing and it's limited for 18 months. That's why.

On the upside... things may look completely different in 18 months and the pricing is guaranteed for that period.

OpenEIR doesn't really have any interest. The majority of their FTTH is rural. SIRO on the other hand is competing with other networks head on.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Did you delete some of your posts in the Talk To thread or did Sky request them to be deleted?

Now KOR101's post here is gone and another has disappeared from the Talk To thread. Very strange goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Now KOR101's post here is gone and another has disappeared from the Talk To thread. Very strange goings on.

Maybe not so strange. Part of the trial T's&C's was that there was to be no discussion of the trial in public forums. Might explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

peking97 wrote: »
    Maybe not so strange. Part of the trial T's&C's was that there was to be no discussion of the trial in public forums. Might explain it?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Sorry I havent paid attention to SIRO for a long time. It has Ballyshannon and Bundoran down as planned, that will just be in the town wont it, it wont touch anywhere rural like Eir's FTTH is that right?

Does anyone know when they plan to roll out? This has nothing to do with the ENET/SSE announcement from last year does it?

Sorry I havent paid attention to SIRO for a long time. It has Ballyshannon and Bundoran down as planned, that will just be in the town wont it, it wont touch anywhere rural like Eir's FTTH is that right?

It's down as planned, which means nobody has been given an outline of how far they're going to go and how many premises they're going to cover.
    Does anyone know when they plan to roll out? This has nothing to do with the ENET/SSE announcement from last year does it?

How can the two have to do with eachother ? Enet/SSE is Enet/SEE. SIRO is a joint venture of ESB and Vodafone.

Completely different businesses and infrastructure. They're not even using the same FTTH platform. While SIRO (and OpenEIR) use Huawei, Enet/SSE seem to have gone with Calyx.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

How can the two have to do with eachother ? Enet/SSE is Enet/SEE. SIRO is a joint venture of ESB and Vodafone.

Completely different businesses and infrastructure. They're not even using the same FTTH platform. While SIRO (and OpenEIR) use Huawei, Enet/SSE seem to have gone with Calyx.

/M

It just seemed like a funny coincidence that enet/sse and siro picked the exact same smallish towns in Donegal

It just seemed like a funny coincidence that enet/sse and siro picked the exact same smallish towns in Donegal

Competition is good.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This SIRO/enet partnership announced last year?

https://siro.ie/enet/
    https://www.enet.ie/news/172/138/enet-SIRO-Announce-Partnership-Agreement.html

The Cush wrote: »

That's different. It has nothing to do with the eNet/SSE bid for the NBP. Or them having any ownership/direct ties to SIRO.

- eNet handles the Goverment MANs.
    - eNet uses ESB and CIE fiber across the nation for backhaul and sells layer2 circuits to other providers and business that way.
    - eNet owns Airspeed and sells wireless (point-to-point) connectivity to businesses and providers.
    - eNet provides OpenEIR NGA products (FTTC/FTTH) as an aggregate product.
    - eNet provides SIRO products as an aggregate product. (agreement above, the same as BT and at least one other SIRO partner).

All of the above has nothing to do with eNets FTTx trial and bid for the NBP.

The aggregate products means, that you don't have to make contractual agreements with SIRO or OpenEIR. You make a contract with eNet (or BT) and they act the middle man. They also deliver the traffic to a point of your choice as one big pipe. And obviously, they take a healthy cut.

So you will find providers, that sell OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH, but are not a direct OpenEIR partner .. (there's for example a provider in Wexford like that).
    Or you will find providers, that sell SIRO FTTH, but are not a direct OpenEIR partners ... (theres 2 providers around Sligo like that)

Those providers would have obtained access to these products through either BT, eNet or another network provider, that has those agreements in place.

/M

That's different. It has nothing to do with the eNet/SSE bid for the NBP. Or them having any ownership/direct ties to SIRO.

All of the above has nothing to do with eNets FTTx trial and bid for the NBP.

Didn't mention it was anything to do with the NBP, but referencing shigllgetcha posts above about the planned SIRO rollout in Ballyshannon and Bundoran and if this the partnership agreement in action.

Didn't mention it was anything to do with the NBP, but referencing shigllgetcha posts above about the planned SIRO rollout in Ballyshannon and Bundoran and if this the partnership agreement in action.

No. eNets announcement is their own FTTx rollout / FTTx infrastructure. They also have rolled out FTTx, that's not NBP. Loughrea for example.

eNet doesn't really announce SIRO rollouts as they don't sell directly to customers nor market the fact. Otherwise you'd also see announcements for every single larger OpenEIR rollout. eNet have the same partnership deal with OpenEIR.

/M

This was a post the day this was announced last year
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't think it has much of anything to do with NBP. The aggregation deal allows enet to act as a middle-man between ISPs and SIRO, which may be useful for smaller ISPs without the resources required to handle the technical details of interconnecting, platform integration and so on.

It basically means that for a small ISP that wants to offer fibre services in a SIRO area, they can do a deal with enet instead of directly with SIRO, and enet do a lot of the technical work for them. Of course, it also probably means that they'll pay enet somewhat more per connection than they would have paid SIRO directly, but them's the breaks.

This was a post the day this was announced last year

As oscarBravo has pointed out, if it's just an annoucement of the SIRO rollout under "eNet Banner" then it's pretty mute/pointless

The providers that provide using eNet and BT aggregate deals have extreme tight margins. Not something that will get consumers better pricing.

Either way .. if thats the case, then it's just eNet "riding the wagon". I would even say, it's pretty crap, if it's a SIRO rollout and they don't make it clear, that that's what they're referring to. They have no investment in SIRO. They just resell to providers. Same does BT.

They do have their own rollout also, though .. in a few places.

/M

Actually, this probably the announcement shigllgetcha was referring to
    In the coming months, enet-SSE crews will commence the first phase of deployment delivering the new fibre-to-the-premises broadband network to 18,000 premises in nine towns in the West and North West. This first phase, which will complete within 12 months of commencement, will connect Ballinasloe, Roscommon Town, Manorhamilton, Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Donegal Town, Ballybofey, Stranorlar, and Buncrana to a superfast fibre broadband network in 2018. Upon successful completion of this phase, the remaining balance of the 115,000 premise network is expected to be completed by late 2019. The first phase represents a joint investment of €20m, with a total potential investment of more than €100m upon completion of the full project.

https://www.enet.ie/news/177/138/Minister-launches-enet-SSE-100M-fibre-plan-for-regional-Ireland.html

That one is clearly eNets own Rollout. A few places in there, that SIRO don't cover.

Oh .. and that meeting in Ballinasloe was the launch of their own FTTx network after they had done the trial towns. I unfortunately didn't make it over there that day. It's not NBP related. It's just their own rollout on top of their bid on the NBP.

It'll be available through partners, similar as it works with SIRO. eNet does not sell directly to the end-customer.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Building a new house and was wondering what way to set up for siro?
    So I guess the main connection comes in beside your meter box?
    Should i set up the router on the other side of this wall or can I run it to a network cabinet where my switch/patch panel, Nas will be.
    How accommodating are the installers.?
    My house spec is concrete 1st floor with a dropped plasterboard ceiling so it will be easy to run ducting / cable etc before plastering.

tks

Should i set up the router on the other side of this wall or can I run it to a network cabinet where my switch/patch panel, Nas will be.
    My house spec is concrete 1st floor with a dropped plasterboard ceiling so it will be easy to run ducting / cable etc before plastering.

tks

The ONT will probably be set up at the nearest double-socket to the meterbox. You could also install a cat6 socket there and run a cable to a central network point and install your router there. That should be no problem.

Make sure, that the power feed to your house is ducted and not directly buried. Also make sure there is space in said duct or second duct is put in at the same time. Houses that are connected to the grid via directly buried cable generally won't get connected to SIRO, as it's too expensive to get the connection put in.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

tks

If that's a rural house you're building, you won't be getting SIRO. Or fibre broadband from any company for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on how rural it is. You'd be surprised how some rural houses are actually within the limits fttc

If that's a rural house you're building, you won't be getting SIRO. Or fibre broadband from any company for that matter.

Hrmm ... 300k of rural homes will be covered by FTTH through OpenEIR. That's over 30% of rural homes (approximated at 800-850k). Of those over 160k are already enabled.

SIRO is also moving into more rural villages now. Places like Sixmilebridge for example are planned.

And there is no harm planning ahead during a house build for any sort of connection. There's houses being build today with no structured network cabling. Hell, I've heard about a brand new hospital, that got build, and all cat5 was daisy chained by the electricians.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Depends on how rural it is. You'd be surprised how some rural houses are actually within the limits fttc

It's actually a problem. OpenEIR have FTTC enabled a good few rural areas with substandard cabling. So for these you'd be lucky to get 7-35 Mbit/s. A bit of a waste.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Hi Marlow,

I took the plunge and got the SIRO in, top class so far. Many thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
    Groovie

The ONT will probably be set up at the nearest double-socket to the meterbox. You could also install a cat6 socket there and run a cable to a central network point and install your router there. That should be no problem.

Make sure, that the power feed to your house is ducted and not directly buried. Also make sure there is space in said duct or second duct is put in at the same time. Houses that are connected to the grid via directly buried cable generally won't get connected to SIRO, as it's too expensive to get the connection put in.

/M

Thanks. I think this is probably the best option. Didn't know the ONT needed power also.
    The house isn't being built by me and is in an estate so I presume it will be ducted. Isn't that code now anyways?
    Ill also need to do the same for an eir connection in case i go with them and they enter the house at a different location.
    The house is in the town boundaries which is serviced by FTTC atmo. In fact if it was further out, I could get FTTH with eir at the moment.

The house isn't being built by me and is in an estate so I presume it will be ducted. Isn't that code now anyways?

I wouldn't rely on that. I would specify that to the builder. Assume nothing. Make sure.
    The house is in the town boundaries which is serviced by FTTC atmo. In fact if it was further out, I could get FTTH with eir at the moment.

It doesn't matter if you're within FTTC cover or not. If it's a new estate being build, OpenEIR won't be pulling copper in. All new estates are wired up with FTTH. OpenEIR only reuses existing copper, where in place already.

/M

I wouldn't rely on that. I would specify that to the builder. Assume nothing. Make sure.

It doesn't matter if you're within FTTC cover or not. If it's a new estate being build, OpenEIR won't be pulling copper in. All new estates are wired up with FTTH. OpenEIR only reuses existing copper, where in place already.

/M

I just checked the eircode from some of the other houses in the estate that people are now living in (built last year) and only FTTC available where as if you go another Kilometer up the road and further out of town, FTTH is available

• Advertisement

I just checked the eircode from some of the other houses in the estate that people are now living in (built last year) and only FTTC available where as if you go another Kilometer up the road and further out of town, FTTH is available

You'd have to assume either/or then. Whatever mood OpenEir is in :) And depending on, if the DSLAM is full.

/M

Advertisement