Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

On i side note. I have been looking at the ubiquiti security gateway as a replacement router to whatever provider i end up going with as i am getting a ubiquiti switch and G3 access points also. Is this possible with Eir, vodafone or possibly sky if the ever go live?

It should work with eir (obviously eir are not available on the SIRO network) and Vodafone. I'm unsure about Sky, they make it difficult to switch routers on their VDSL product, though technically it should be possible.

However be aware that if you are getting a package with VoIP calls included by switching router with both eir and Vodafone you will lose the VoIP portion of your package. This is because both eir and Vodafone refuse to give out the SIP password to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

If you are comfortable with posting that info, which estate in Swords is this in?

Just seeing this now. Yep no worries at all though, I'm in Boroimhe. They were in about 6 weeks ago digging up the place so seems to be live now. The earliest I can actually get it installed is 21st August due to how busy Vodafone are...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Doodie123 wrote: »
    An infrastructure question...

I'm in the NW, and SIRO is rolling out in my town.
    Crews are installing the ducting along the road where my house is.
    However, my house is up a long lane, about 2 pole lengths away (130 meters) from the main road.
    Currently on Vodafone "Fiber" (the cabinet is 430 meters away )so only getting 12MB "broadband"
    Coincidentally, the ESB will be digging up my lawn on Tuesday, replacing the 'stay' on the last pole. ( that braided cable that attached about 8 ft up to keep it tensioned) When the ESB engineer was out surveying, he was explaining all about SIRO

Question 1: Obviously since I'm about 130 meters from the main pole at the road, the ESB/Vodafone aren't going to dig thru 2 fields and over a small stream to lay fiber directly to the premises. Does the broadband signal travel over the ESB wires or would they string a fragile fiber line alongside the power line up in the air?

Question 2: - the duct at the terminating pole is about 25 meters from the house, travels under 2 lawns, 2 driveways before entering the house via an inaccessible underground junction, emerging at the fusebox (1800's house refurbished in the 1970's, no external ESB access panel)
    The fusebox inside has a pair of double plugs and would be perfect for placement.
    The video i watched for Eir fiber suggested that they would recommend stringing a cable from the final pole to the gable of the house. Would SIRO do the same as there's no accessible ducting?

In a nutshell, is SIRO feasible for me?
    The work ESB or their contractors carried out recently is termed Fibre Make Ready (FMR) This is to enable the existing network to take the extra strain of the fibre which will run on brackets beside or underneath the existing network. With the end stay being replaced, it means that the spur into your garden is ready for fibre. ESB or their contractors do not run the fibre. This is done by SIRO contractors and route designers. The routes may or may not follow the existing overhead network but in most cases it will if its commercially viable. i.e enough premises along the route. As long as you have a fibre cable passing your premises you have the potential to be connected, either now or at a future date. Note: There are some premises in most towns which are not served because its not commercially viable to try to reach them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi folks,
    Apologies if this question has already been answered. I'm thinking of getting SIRO into my home and I'm wondering what people's experience has been with the physical installation of the cable & modem.
    I know they need to run a cable (presumably fibre optic) from the meter box into the house and then they install the modem in the house.
    The concern I have is that the meter box is outside the hallway (near the front door) and this is where they'll install the modem. I'd prefer that they run the cables inside the walls (timber frame, hollow walls) into the living room where the existing modem is placed.
    I'm wondering has anyone has a similar issue and did they have any success with getting the SIRO modem placed where they wanted? Were you able to get the cable run behind walls or did they install trunking or something similar?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

is it worth switching to VF SIRO 1000 from a solid VM360 ?

and what modem/router is provided by VM SIRO ?
    (how many ethernet ports ? is it worth replacing etc ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

okden wrote: »
    is it worth switching to VF SIRO 1000 from a solid VM360 ?

and what modem/router is provided by VM SIRO ?
    (how many ethernet ports ? is it worth replacing etc ?)

For gaming yes - at present - but new software may mitigate the crappy performance of the Hub3.0 soon (rolling out the UK presently).

HG659, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Hi folks,
    Apologies if this question has already been answered. I'm thinking of getting SIRO into my home and I'm wondering what people's experience has been with the physical installation of the cable & modem.
    I know they need to run a cable (presumably fibre optic) from the meter box into the house and then they install the modem in the house.
    The concern I have is that the meter box is outside the hallway (near the front door) and this is where they'll install the modem. I'd prefer that they run the cables inside the walls (timber frame, hollow walls) into the living room where the existing modem is placed.
    I'm wondering has anyone has a similar issue and did they have any success with getting the SIRO modem placed where they wanted? Were you able to get the cable run behind walls or did they install trunking or something similar?
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    I did successfully get them to run the cable up the front of the house and into a first floor room. Don't know if they would run it through the house.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I did successfully get them to run the cable up the front of the house and into a first floor room. Don't know if they would run it through the house.

Thanks!

Do you mind if I ask whether your house is timber framed (ie hollow cavity walls) or blocks.

It's generally easier to route cables in a timber frame but does involve some cleanup so most electricians don't want to do it in my experience.

Thanks!

Do you mind if I ask whether your house is timber framed (ie hollow cavity walls) or blocks.

It's generally easier to route cables in a timber frame but does involve some cleanup so most electricians don't want to do it in my experience.
    Mine is timber frame. I think the installers want to be friendly and for the install to go well, so it's a case of not pushing your luck too far. If you can, asking them to go around the house on the outside and then into your living room might be a better option.

Thanks!

Mine is timber frame. I think the installers want to be friendly and for the install to go well, so it's a case of not pushing your luck too far. If you can, asking them to go around the house on the outside and then into your living room might be a better option.
    Thanks KOR, will keep that in mind when talking to engineer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

May I ask who the installers were? (Which company).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

They'll run a cable on the outside wall or along skirting boards etc on the inside but they won't run cables inside cavitys etc.
    I don't think they're allowed to.

CPL 593H

peking97 wrote: »
    May I ask who the installers were? (Which company).
    Actavo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

anyone know when the next update of addresses in the database will be?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TheDriver wrote: »
    anyone know when the next update of addresses in the database will be?

Usually around the end of each month, so should be soon.

Meanwhile, Siro, Vodafone’s joint venture with the ESB, has now passed more than 160,000 premises and is live in 30 towns, the operator added.

Vodafone also said data usage increased by 40.7 per cent year on year to more than 17.8 petabytes of data.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-ireland-sees-revenue-rise-as-parent-reports-slowdown-1.3576058?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Meanwhile, Siro, Vodafone’s joint venture with the ESB, has now passed more than 160,000 premises and is live in 30 towns, the operator added.

They're pretty much head on in figures with OpenEIRs rural roll-out. A lot more civils involved in what SIRO is doing though.

It would be interesting to see, how many homes OpenEIR actually have connected to FTTH. I know SIRO are not far off the 40k mark. So that's 25% of the rollout actually connected.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    A lot more civils involved in what SIRO is doing though.
    Yes, I wonder if SIRO themselves realised just how much. I was astonished by what they had to do in my estate which is recently enough built.

The original announcement was 500,000 premises by end 2018. I wonder how it looks from a commercial standpoint.

Yes, I wonder if SIRO themselves realised just how much. I was astonished by what they had to do in my estate which is recently enough built.

The original announcement was 500,000 premises by end 2018. I wonder how it looks from a commercial standpoint.

They seem to be adding 10-20k month on month. So I would estimate approx half of that by the end of 2018 realistically. So 250k premises. Unless they're ramping the build out up massively.

/M

They're pretty much head on in figures with OpenEIRs rural roll-out. A lot more civils involved in what SIRO is doing though.

It would be interesting to see, how many homes OpenEIR actually have connected to FTTH. I know SIRO are not far off the 40k mark. So that's 25% of the rollout actually connected.

/M

There were 12475 premises connected at end Q3 2017, 20869 at end Q4 2017 and "nearly" 30000 at end Q1 2018 according to the DCCAE.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx

It's unclear though if this includes connections in urban areas that they have covered.

• Advertisement

There were 12475 premises connected at end Q3 2017, 20869 at end Q4 2017 and "nearly" 30000 at end Q1 2018 according to the DCCAE.

The other thing that is unclear is, if those are premises connected by Eir retail. Because that sentence very much has a spiel on their marketing or if that included premises connected by Eir and other wholesale partners combined.

30k out of 145k premises at the time is only 20% uptake, opposed to 25% uptake on SIRO.

/M

The other thing that is unclear is, if those are premises connected by Eir retail. Because that sentence very much has a spiel on their marketing or if that included premises connected by Eir and other wholesale partners combined.

30k out of 145k premises at the time is only 20% uptake, opposed to 25% uptake on SIRO.

/M

I'd assume it is all wholesale partners combined but I can't be sure. The uptake did strike me alright. I wonder did it factor in to their NBP withdrawal although I don't know what uptake they would have targeted, perhaps 20% is in line with expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

So had Siro installed 1 week ago and ( no surprise ) , the HG659 is sh1te ... It can't cope with the amount of devices connected and bombs out ...
    VF are planning on sending a new device as my speeds have gone from full 1Gb to approx 500Mb - and they think the HG is to blame.
    As I have bricked my old Archer C9, I'm looking for a new router which I want to connect to the ONT.
    I've seen mentions here on some Asus models (RT-AC87U) but was wondering if anybody could share the ref of the model they have connected to the ONT.
    I was looking at the Nighthawk X6 but am not sure VLAN10 can be set on the WAN port ..
    Thanks.

I think some fritzbox can be used but there's some issue of German vs international versions

I think some fritzbox can be used but there's some issue of German vs international versions

Not when it comes to FTTH.

The issue on german vs. international versions is on ADSL and VDSL. That's because Germany uses ISDN based ADSL and VDSL and Ireland uses analog based ADSL and VDSL.

So for FTTH lines it makes no difference, as you use Lan 1 or the ethernet WAN port.

/M

Thanks Marlow, I knew there was something mixed up in my head. So either German or international fritzbox 4040 should work?

Thanks Marlow, I knew there was something mixed up in my head. So either German or international fritzbox 4040 should work?

Yup. The difference between the german and international 4040 is the power adapter and that the german one might not have the option of english language (I haven't had one in my fingers).

But the issues you were referring to are phone-line related, so irrelevant to FTTH or cable. Oh .. and your time zone may always be off by an hour, as you can't select GMT or irish time.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

SIRO have released the new figures for the rollout. The biggest portions were:

Athlone 605 premises passed
    Dublin North 844 premises passed (areas like Balbriggan)
    Dublin Northwest 1622 premises passed (areas like Finglas, Ongar, Dunboyne)
    Carlow 631 premises passed
    Drogheda 194 premises passed
    Kilkenny 451 premises passed
    Letterkenny 120 premises passed
    Limerick 1513 premises passed
    Wexford 124 premises passed

A few more passed in other places. The product checker will be updated later today.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Carrickmines (includes Clay Farm), Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Carrickmines (includes Clay Farm), Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi Martin,
    Do you have any idea what estates in Shannon are planned to be enabled?

Advertisement