Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

A bit interesting news from SIRO:

Clonmel build will start in October, so the first premises should be live in November.

Navan build has started this month, so September/October should see a lot premises passed.

Ashbourne also has been announced now. Bray is set for November/December.

Castlebar and Portlaoise will also see another build-out from August to November.

Of the 6 above, we're only covering Portlaoise, Westnet are covering Castlebar.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Castlebar and Portlaoise will also see another build-out from August to November.

It's worth bearing in mind that "Castlebar" in SIRO-speak means "Castlebar and Westport".

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Actavo recent rolled out the fibre for SIRO overhead along the street lights where I live in Naas. They left surplus cable hanging in a roll on one of the poles.

My question is. How soon does the service go live after this?

Also has anyone had their installation done coming from the overhead cables and if so how long did it take the installers to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Ashbourne also has been announced now.

What do you mean by announced? Ashbourne has been listed as planned on the SIRO website since March I think.

What do you mean by announced? Ashbourne has been listed as planned on the SIRO website since March I think.

Exactly: "Planned". It's not planned anymore. The rollout is starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Exactly: "Planned". It's not planned anymore. The rollout is starting.

Okay. That would be the van and such in the area. How long would it take for Ashbourne to go live?

Also, 3 of the 4 walls of my house have external cladding. The front wall is double bricked, so they used bead insulation. Would it void the warranty if they drilled through the bricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Okay. That would be the van and such in the area. How long would it take for Ashbourne to go live?

Also, 3 of the 4 walls of my house have external cladding. The front wall is double bricked, so they used bead insulation. Would it void the warranty if they drilled through the bricks?
    They won't drill through cladding it would void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Clonmel build will start in October, so the first premises should be live in November.

Navan build has started this month, so September/October should see a lot premises passed.

Ashbourne also has been announced now. Bray is set for November/December.

Of the 6 above, we're only covering Portlaoise, Westnet are covering Castlebar.

Do you know which ISP is covering Siro for Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

paulboland wrote: »
    Do you know which ISP is covering Siro for Navan

Similar to Drogheda I would have thought so Digiweb and Vodafone. Probably Sky as well when they eventually launch.

https://siro.ie/towns/drogheda/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Doodie123

They're installing infrastructure in my hometown, but it's not available yet (says planned)

I've noticed a lot of new ESB poles out in the rural outskirts with fittings on them I don't recognize.

There's a 20cm rectangular black box on each pole, with a circular curved pipe behind it, and then below this, a smaller white box.

Are there any visible SIRO infrastructure fittings on your poles once installed and rolled out, apart from the 3rd strand of wire, or are these power distribution objects?

Basically, i wanted to track the rollout of SIRO around my town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got a new message this evening: Instead of not available at your address, I now get Get Ready! You’ll be able to connect to SIRO within 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got a new message this evening: Instead of not available at your address, I now get Get Ready! You’ll be able to connect to SIRO within 6 months

That's a new message by SIRO. In the meantime are you going to stay with Virgin Media?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm on fttc, no VM where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Which is the best app for checking speed?

I'm getting much higher results from the Microsoft app than the Ookla one even after trying many servers.

[edit] Much higher on the download, much lower on the upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »
    Which is the best app for checking speed?

I'm getting much higher results from the Microsoft app than the Ookla one even after trying many servers.

[edit] Much higher on the download, much lower on the upload.

Ookla is the best app, but you have to be picky about servers.

In Ireland, Carlow (Blacknight) and Galway (Airwire) have 10 Gbit/s for sure. Others are not confirmed and may often have 1 Gbit/s or less.

With Microsoft you never know what they're at.

Fast.com can also be good, but then again is bandwidth strapped at other times.

It's always best to test multiple services, because nobody knows what's available between you and them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Same here
    Get Ready! You’ll be able to connect to SIRO within 6 months

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, we cover. So that would currently be Athlone, Carrickmines (includes Clay Farm), Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

Portlaoise
    The entire Rosevale estate has been enabled.

Sligo
    Approx 100 commercial units have been added, that previously were not covered

The majority of the homes, that have been added, are in Athlone, Ennis and Limerick.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

Anyone on here who has SIRO installed by Vodafone?
    I'm interested in getting some information.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

thehamok wrote: »
    Anyone on here who has SIRO installed by Vodafone?
    I'm interested in getting some information.
    Thanks.

What do you want to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Morning all,
    Well a few weeks ago the nice guy from Vodafone/SIRO called to my house looking to get customers. He actually was a very nice guy and his sale pitch was not necessary. I signed up on the spot, selected Sept 4 for installation and happy out. I also got my brother who lives in a separate are of the town to sign up as he too wanted high speed broadband, his installation was last Saturday. I was somewhat amused/puzzled when he rang early Saturday morning telling me the installation was off, his house was not wired for installation.
    Today it was my turn, I got a call this morning telling me I too would not be getting the installation, as promised, tomorrow as I was not wired and that the ESB would have to install the overhead wires first, it would take about 30 working days (6 weeks to you and me).
    So my question, is why does Vodafone tout for business, give the expectation that they are in a position to provide it and then let you down at the last minute because they are able to. Clearly Vodafone Sales are out to grab all business and fair enough but they should not be doing it until they know the area is wired, and ready for the off.
    My mobile contract is almost up, so it looks like Virgin will get my business unless they get their act together.
    So the lesson today, is ask is your street/estate/area actually wired and ready to go, or is it just in your area, disappointing and considering the money being invested just not good enough.....

• Advertisement

All overhead installation require ESB networks to do the work on the overhead span that's near the powerline. SIROs own contractors are not certified nor allowed to do this work.

This applies to all overhead installations and the timeframe is usually up to 30 days, but no more.

Our sales staff are given the details of every premise, so they know the drop type for every premise.

Maybe Vodafones sales staff don't get that sort of information. But it would be needed to set the right expectations.

Connrang wrote: »
    Morning all,
    Well a few weeks ago the nice guy from Vodafone/SIRO called to my house looking to get customers. He actually was a very nice guy and his sale pitch was not necessary. I signed up on the spot, selected Sept 4 for installation and happy out. I also got my brother who lives in a separate are of the town to sign up as he too wanted high speed broadband, his installation was last Saturday. I was somewhat amused/puzzled when he rang early Saturday morning telling me the installation was off, his house was not wired for installation.
    Today it was my turn, I got a call this morning telling me I too would not be getting the installation, as promised, tomorrow as I was not wired and that the ESB would have to install the overhead wires first, it would take about 30 working days (6 weeks to you and me).
    So my question, is why does Vodafone tout for business, give the expectation that they are in a position to provide it and then let you down at the last minute because they are able to. Clearly Vodafone Sales are out to grab all business and fair enough but they should not be doing it until they know the area is wired, and ready for the off.
    My mobile contract is almost up, so it looks like Virgin will get my business unless they get their act together.
    So the lesson today, is ask is your street/estate/area actually wired and ready to go, or is it just in your area, disappointing and considering the money being invested just not good enough.....

The cables for my house (and others nearby) are within 50 metres from my house. Rolled up and ready to go. Don't think anyone has taken up the 'offer' whatever it might be. In a way it seems a terrible waste to have these cables rolled up and may never be used.
    I'm wondering if Vodafone will be forced to reduce their prices for SIRO if the demand isn't forthcoming?

All overhead installation require ESB networks to do the work on the overhead span that's near the powerline. SIROs own contractors are not certified nor allowed to do this work.

This applies to all overhead installations and the timeframe is usually up to 30 days, but no more.

Our sales staff are given the details of every premise, so they know the drop type for every premise.

Maybe Vodafones sales staff don't get that sort of information. But it would be needed to set the right expectations.

I believe Vodafone Sales staff are instructed to only give the positives for SIRO and not mention the negatives of which there are a few to my knowledge. If a negative is mentioned then I think its a case of contacting the 'Engineer' or the Technical Dept.
    A strange way to do business in my opinion. They also say 'sign up and you can ask the Engineer all your technical questions on the day of the installation and if you're not satisfied after 14 days tthen they will disconnect SIRO and put you back to what you had'.

The cables for my house (and others nearby) are within 50 metres from my house. Rolled up and ready to go. Don't think anyone has taken up the 'offer' whatever it might be. In a way it seems a terrible waste to have these cables rolled up and may never be used.
    I'm wondering if Vodafone will be forced to reduce their prices for SIRO if the demand isn't forthcoming?

The rolled up cable on the pole is not there to connect you. It's for bringing the distribution point down to service it.

The cable that services your house is installed in the length as needed, when you get installed.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The rolled up cable on the pole is not there to connect you. It's for bringing the distribution point down to service it.

The cable that services your house is installed in the length as needed, when you get installed.

/M

Thanks

Thanks

There would be no point in having cable pre-wired on the pole, as they use different cable types depending on, if the house is connected overhead or underground.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Thehamok,
    Funny, exact same position here, it seems Vodafone upgraded their customers where I live when SIRO went live, and walked away. Sent in their sales team to sell the product, got the orders and failed to follow up. My neighbour across the road is in the same position, a date for installation was not followed up due to cables not being on our properties. I've lodged a complaint about this today, lets see if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

Limerick

Just to let you know, color 33333 makes it almost impossible to read your posts on the dark theme.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

If useful the below premises have been added to the Siro network this month:

Carrigaline/Mallow - 897
    Letterkenny - 1
    Dublin West - 1296
    Portlaoise - 132
    Limerick -672
    Drogheda - 260
    Carlow - 252
    Tralee - 130 (All Commercial)
    Newbridge/Naas area - 345
    Kilkenny - 1126
    Westport/Castlebar - 441
    Mullingar - 113
    Athlone - 575
    Sligo - 93 (Nearly all commercial)
    Wexford - 11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Digiweb wrote: »
    If useful the below premises have been added to the Siro network this month:

Carrigaline/Mallow - 897
    Letterkenny - 1
    Dublin West - 1296
    Portlaoise - 132
    Limerick -672
    Drogheda - 260
    Carlow - 252
    Tralee - 130 (All Commercial)
    Newbridge/Naas area - 345
    Kilkenny - 1126
    Westport/Castlebar - 441
    Mullingar - 113
    Athlone - 575
    Sligo - 93 (Nearly all commercial)
    Wexford - 11

Why are Digiweb not available in Navan while Vodafone are? Do you expect to become available in Navan in the future?

Advertisement