Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Why are Digiweb not available in Navan while Vodafone are? Do you expect to become available in Navan in the future?

Working on getting connected in Navan at the moment should have news in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Digiweb wrote: »
    If useful the below premises have been added to the Siro network this month:

Carrigaline/Mallow - 897
    Letterkenny - 1
    Dublin West - 1296
    Portlaoise - 132
    Limerick -672
    Drogheda - 260
    Carlow - 252
    Tralee - 130 (All Commercial)
    Newbridge/Naas area - 345
    Kilkenny - 1126
    Westport/Castlebar - 441
    Mullingar - 113
    Athlone - 575
    Sligo - 93 (Nearly all commercial)
    Wexford - 11

Strange that Mallow and Carrigaline are in the same line, they're an hour apart

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

TheDriver wrote: »
    Strange that Mallow and Carrigaline are in the same line, they're an hour apart

The way SIRO works, is that sometimes multiple areas get handed over on the same interchange point. SIRO looks after the connectivity back to this central point.

Example the Cork interchange covers (or will cover): Cork, Mallow, Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Cobh, Midleton and Little Island.

The Sligo interchange covers (or will cover): Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon, Longford and Roscommon.

All of Mayo gets handed over to the providers in Castlebar.

The Ennis interchange covers (or will cover): Ennis, Shannon, Clarecastle, Sixmilebridge.

Not every provider has network to all interconnection points, which for example is the reason, that we are present in Limerick, Shannon and Ennis, while Digiweb currently only provide in Limerick.

Dublin is split into 4 big interchange points: Dublin North, Dublin Northwest, Dublin West and Clonshaugh. We are only connected to Dublin West (Carrickmines, and in the future: Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock), while for example Digiweb for good reasons have a much larger network around the city and is present at most, if not all of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Dublin is split into 4 big interchange points: Dublin North, Dublin Northwest, Dublin West and Clonshaugh. We are only connected to Dublin West (Carrickmines, and in the future: Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock), while for example Digiweb for good reasons have a much larger network around the city and is present at most, if not all of these.

Is there any timeframe for Maynooth being activated? Which areas will be covered?

sharper wrote: »
    Is there any timeframe for Maynooth being activated? Which areas will be covered?

There are no details available to us yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The way SIRO works, is that sometimes multiple areas get handed over on the same interchange point. SIRO looks after the connectivity back to this central point.

Example the Cork interchange covers (or will cover): Cork, Mallow, Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Cobh, Midleton and Little Island.

The Sligo interchange covers (or will cover): Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon, Longford and Roscommon.

All of Mayo gets handed over to the providers in Castlebar.

The Ennis interchange covers (or will cover): Ennis, Shannon, Clarecastle, Sixmilebridge.

Not every provider has network to all interconnection points, which for example is the reason, that we are present in Limerick, Shannon and Ennis, while Digiweb currently only provide in Limerick.

There is nothing on the Siro map showing other than Ennis and Shannon ..... Available, Coming Soon, or Planned.
    https://siro.ie/roll-out/#Clare

Is there public information available anywhere about this?

Thanks.

There is nothing on the Siro map showing other than Ennis and Shannon ..... Available, Coming Soon, or Planned.
    https://siro.ie/roll-out/#Clare

Is there public information available anywhere about this?

It's planned, but no timeline yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is there a timeframe for Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 furstenburg

tli have just installed all the cables for this in our estate under the ground and the sales reps have started to call for Vodaphone. The 1000gb broadband is now available in our estate. However, I'm currently with Virgin Media and am happy enough with their broadband. Their TV's a bit crappy but I dont watch that much anyway.

Anyone know if I go for the Vodaphone installation how they would plan to connect the box to my house? I've also had friends have problems with Vodaphone internet before (not Siro). Apart from the montly savings can anyone recommend whether this is worth a switch or not? Don't want to get trapped into an 18 month contact and end up unhappy with the broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tli have just installed all the cables for this in our estate under the ground and the sales reps have started to call for Vodaphone. The 1000gb broadband is now available in our estate. However, I'm currently with Virgin Media and am happy enough with their broadband. Their TV's a bit crappy but I dont watch that much anyway.

Anyone know if I go for the Vodaphone installation how they would plan to connect the box to my house? I've also had friends have problems with Vodaphone internet before (not Siro). Apart from the montly savings can anyone recommend whether this is worth a switch or not? Don't want to get trapped into an 18 month contact and end up unhappy with the broadband

They have to get a fibre cable into your home. The cable can be brought to your ESB meter box either underground in ESB ducting or overhead. From there it's likely that they have to drill a hole in your wall to get the cable inside. Inside they fit one of these

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107548070&postcount=5048

which needs a power socket. The router also needs power.

Obviously 1Gb download speeds are available however Vodafone seem to have a FUP at 1TB though it is unclear if they enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

I have a Vodafone Gigabit FTTH install ordered for next week. Apparently it will be provided with the new "Gigabox" router.

Current setup is Vodafone FTTC with the supplied router bridged to an Apple Airport Time Capsule - works very well.

In the new setup I would like to continue using the Time Capsule as an AP and avoid the Gigabox, however I do still need to plug in the landline.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on the Gigabox and/or using the Time Capsule with the Vodafone FTTH service.

Thanks in advance.

salnado wrote: »
    I have a Vodafone Gigabit FTTH install ordered for next week. Apparently it will be provided with the new "Gigabox" router.

Current setup is Vodafone FTTC with the supplied router bridged to an Apple Airport Time Capsule - works very well.

In the new setup I would like to continue using the Time Capsule as an AP and avoid the Gigabox, however I do still need to plug in the landline.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on the Gigabox and/or using the Time Capsule with the Vodafone FTTH service.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to use the VoIP phone service you need to keep the Vodafone router. You could disable the WiFi on the Vodafone router and use your Time Capsule as an access point.

If you want to use the VoIP phone service you need to keep the Vodafone router. You could disable the WiFi on the Vodafone router and use your Time Capsule as an access point.

Does that not lead to IP/NAT conflicts (apologies if my terminology is wrong)...I thought bridging was required to avoid that?

Do I just change the 'connect using" dropdown on the Time Capsule from PPPoE to DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Does that not lead to IP/NAT conflicts (apologies if my terminology is wrong)...I thought bridging was required to avoid that?

Do I just change the 'connect using" dropdown on the Time Capsule from PPPoE to DHCP?

The answer lies in Navi's answer: use your time-capsule as "AP", not "Router". It should have both modes.

The DHCP-server on the network will be Vodafones router in that case, but your time-capsule will provide the WiFi.

Also, the big question would be, if your time capsule even has the processing power to deal with the speeds that you now will be getting.

The routers, that the providers are using have been tested to deliver the speeds that can be brought to your home on the fibre. Having a Gbit/s interface in the time capsule doesn't mean, that it can process Gbit/s speeds as an internet router.

/M

You would be using the Time Capsule as an access point. It would be doing no routing. You would give the TC a static IP in the range of the Vodafone router and connect a LAN port on the Vodafone router to a LAN port on the TC. Turn off any DHCP server on the TC.

Google use router as access point for more in depth instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you are on vodafone ftth, either the 300mb or the 1000mb. On speedtest using the HG659 can any of you get more that 200mb on 5GHz wifi. I currently have contacted vodafone on the issue and there are looking into it. I have 2 of the HG659 modems and on each i cant get over 150mb on phone and 200mb on pc. My friend is on digiweb and on his fritzbox i can get 680mb download and 209mb upload.

I see vodafone is trialling this new Gigabox but gods knows when people will get these.

So can a few of you do a speedtest and let me know if you can get results more than my results listed above. Cheers

GIMickey wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you are on vodafone ftth, either the 300mb or the 1000mb. On speedtest using the HG659 can any of you get more that 200mb on 5GHz wifi. I currently have contacted vodafone on the issue and there are looking into it. I have 2 of the HG659 modems and on each i cant get over 150mb on phone and 200mb on pc. My friend is on digiweb and on his fritzbox i can get 680mb download and 209mb upload.

The router that Vodafone supply has pretty poor wireless. The reason they supply it, is that it can process gbit speeds on the cable, but it's cheap as chips.

It serves best as doorstop.

None of the internet providers guarantees you wireless speed. To many factors, that can interfere with that. Too many different devices. You need to be wired to the router to actually get the full potential of fiber broadband.

You can replace it with any router you want in reality, unless you depend on their phone service. With something like for example a Fritz!Box, that has the correct specification.

/M

Thanks Marlow for getting back so fast. I was pretty sure others where going to say what you did, but its nice that its now confirmed.

Ive sent an email to vodafone and spoke to an agent today. Ill leave it a few days and see what there reply is, hopefully i can try this other new Gigabox if i get a chance to get one in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

For what its worth my speed test with Vodafone is as follows:
    Download 95.1 out of 100
    Upload 18.5
    Ping 10
    Jitter 1

thehamok wrote: »
    Download 95.1 out of 100
    Upload 18.5
    Ping 10
    Jitter 1

That's not on SIRO though ? There is no 100 Mbit/s package on Vodafone using SIRO.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Had an install today and this is the router they provided.

IMG_20180907_162810.jpg

Is this better than the Huawei one?

Technique wrote: »

What model/manufacturer is it ?

/M

It's branded as a Vodafone Gigabox.

When I do a Google image search, it seems to be supplied in Italy as a Vodafone Power Station.

It's got a model name SHG3000 and is made in China.

Can you post a photo of the label from the back/bottom of it?

When I do a Google image search, it seems to be supplied in Italy as a Vodafone Power Station.

Haven't been able, to figure out, who manufacturers that one. But it should be a hell of a lot better than the original Huawei one.

It has MU-MIMO (4x4 MIMO on 5 GHz and 3x3 MIMO on 2.4 GHz). It also supports supervectoring for the upcoming VDSL upgrades.

Found a spec sheet here: http://certifications.prod.wi-fi.org/pdf/certificate/public/download?cid=WFA73939

The competing AVM Fritz!Box equivalent to that is the Fritz!Box 7530, that will be launched this month.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Haven't been able, to figure out, who manufacturers that one. But it should be a hell of a lot better than the original Huawei one.

It has MU-MIMO (4x4 MIMO on 5 GHz and 3x3 MIMO on 2.4 GHz). It also supports supervectoring for the upcoming VDSL upgrades.

Found a spec sheet here: http://certifications.prod.wi-fi.org/pdf/certificate/public/download?cid=WFA73939

The competing AVM Fritz!Box equivalent to that is the Fritz!Box 7530, that will be launched this month.

/M

Looks like it could be Sercomm as the manufacturer if one goes by this:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/vodafone/vodafone_station_revolution

The SHG versions of that (different) device were manufactured by Sercomm.

http://www.sercomm.com/home.aspx?langid=1

thehamok wrote: »
    Download 95.1 out of 100
    Upload 18.5
    Ping 10
    Jitter 1

Thanks for the information.

Did you get the 1gb broadband with it, s there any chance you can you do a 5ghz WiFi speedtest on it. I've been told that they are trailing it but not giving it out on new orders.

Did you get the 1gb broadband with it, s there any chance you can you do a 5ghz WiFi speedtest on it. I've been told that they are trailing it but not giving it out on new orders.

I'm just getting used to it so bear with me.

The only 802.11ac device I've got is my laptop. I'm getting 20Mbps on WiFi and 550 Mbps on ethernet.

I'm not sure if that's 2.4 or 5GHz.

It's a 1000Mbps package.

• Advertisement

To get a meaningful comparison you would need to be more specific in your testing. For example specify an 80MHz channel with a short guard interval. The variations in devices and operating systems are going to make it difficult to compare also.

Advertisement