Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I had my SIRO install last week too, Vodafone Gigabit 1000. Had ordered it in May but the install required a number of visits from ESB and Actavo in order to get the fibre optic cable routed through to the ESB meter box. Installation was quick and the installers were very accommodating. I didn't want the router (new Gigabox router) beside the ONT, but rather in the hallway where the original router resided. I used a 10m CAT5E cable to move the Gigabox. I needed to contact Vodafone to activate my home phone as it didn't work after the initial setup for some reason.
    I too,however am somewhat underwhelmed by the internet speeds....maximum I've seen connected directly to the router via CAT6 is 550Mbps. My old HP N54L server (also connected direct to the router using CAT6) can't seem to exceed 250Mbps despite it's gigabit network card. I'm wondering if upgrading the 10M cable between the ONT and router to CAT6 is worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Nforce wrote: »
    I had my SIRO install last week too, Vodafone Gigabit 1000. Had ordered it in May but the install required a number of visits from ESB and Actavo in order to get the fibre optic cable routed through to the ESB meter box. Installation was quick and the installers were very accommodating. I didn't want the router (new Gigabox router) beside the ONT, but rather in the hallway where the original router resided. I used a 10m CAT5E cable to move the Gigabox. I needed to contact Vodafone to activate my home phone as it didn't work after the initial setup for some reason.
    I too,however am somewhat underwhelmed by the internet speeds....maximum I've seen connected directly to the router via CAT6 is 550Mbps. My old HP N54L server (also connected direct to the router using CAT6) can't seem to exceed 250Mbps despite it's gigabit network card. I'm wondering if upgrading the 10M cable between the ONT and router to CAT6 is worthwhile.

Cat5e should do 1000Mb easily at that distance. Was it a pre-made 10m cable or did the installers make it?

What device are you getting 550Mb on?

Cat5e should do 1000Mb easily at that distance. Was it a pre-made 10m cable or did the installers make it?

What device are you getting 550Mb on?

pre-made cable. Used my son's laptop to achieve that speed. Laptop has a gigabit network card.

Nforce wrote: »
    pre-made cable. Used my son's laptop to achieve that speed. Laptop has a gigabit network card.

Just because it has a Gigabit card does not mean it will actually achieve >900Mb speeds.

Have you tried testing LAN file transfers between the HP and the laptop to see what speeds you get? Try copying a large (several gigabytes if possible) file between them and see what speeds you achieve. You should be getting over 100MB/s on a Gigabit LAN.

Just because it has a Gigabit card does not mean it will actually achieve >900Mb speeds.

Have you tried testing LAN file transfers between the HP and the laptop to see what speeds you get? Try copying a large (several gigabytes if possible) file between them and see what speeds you achieve. You should be getting over 100MB/s on a Gigabit LAN.

Cheers, I'll give that a try tomorrow. I know that the laptop won't see the full 1000Mbps, but 550 seems pretty low especially as I had wifi turned off so that it was the only device connected to the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

Salnado,
    Thanks very much for the information non getting the new installation. Your information is very helpful. Although I'm in Dublin it does give me hope for getting the cables where I need them.
    The telephone information is also very good.
    Thanks for taking the time to give us an update on your experience.
    I see these Actavo vans going around where I live. If I can get one of them stopped at a house someday I'll venture over and ask a few questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

I presently have Vodafone Fibre to the box and copper to the house. Distance between the box and my house is about 50 yards or less.

I just tested the speed and the results are
    Ping 11
    Download speed 97.1 out of an expected 100
    Upload 18.4
    Jitter 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

thehamok wrote: »
    I presently have Vodafone Fibre to the box and copper to the house. Distance between the box and my house is about 50 yards or less.

I just tested the speed and the results are
    Ping 11
    Download speed 97.1 out of an expected 100
    Upload 18.4
    Jitter 7.
    That FTTC this thread about FTTH which is true fibre no copper.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Our pricing has been updated today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Has anyone gotten port forwarding working on Siro / Vodafone / Huawei 659. I've forwarded the port on the gateway, no firewall issues on the pc. But my port is still closed on online port checkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Praetorian wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten port forwarding working on Siro / Vodafone / Huawei 659. I've forwarded the port on the gateway, no firewall issues on the pc. But my port is still closed on online port checkers.

Maybe your ISP blocks incoming to the ports you have chosen.
    Try different port numbers for testing and check again with on line checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Actavo came to do my installation in August, and planned to run the fibre from my meter box, along the bellcast, and in through stonework at the front of my house into my hallway where I wanted the router. There was a blockage, however, in the ducting from the mini pillar so they had to abandon the install and wait for the civil guys to clear the blockage. In hindsight, I was lucky that this happened. The civil guys cleared the blockage a few weeks later and left the fibre cable coiled up in the meter box. I then took the fibre up through the cavity and into the attic.
    IMG_20180923_182221.jpg

IMG_20180923_182231.jpg

I then brought the cable down into a cloakroom which backs onto my hallway.

IMG_20180907_084845.jpg

IMG_20180907_084854.jpg

The Actavo guys returned and completed what was an easy install for them.

IMG_20180907_162654.jpg

IMG_20180907_162810.jpg
    Really happy with how it turned out, a virtually invisible install.

Maybe your ISP blocks incoming to the ports you have chosen.
    Try different port numbers for testing and check again with on line checker.

I've tried lots of different ports. I've also tried an eir f2000 modem as well, which I'm able to disable the firewall on as well.

I can't think of anything else obvious that it could be other than Vodafone have blocked port forwarding.

If anyone has any info on this do please let me know. I've googled it, and there was another chap who got absolutely nowhere with Vodafone tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

did you try this guide and nb if only one port put in twice,

https://portforward.com/huawei/hg659/1-vodafone/

swoofer wrote: »
    did you try this guide and nb if only one port put in twice,

https://portforward.com/huawei/hg659/1-vodafone/

Yea I've tried all of that. I tried an eir f2000 modem I had spare as well, so I can even completely disable the router firewall on the f2000 which I can't do on the vodafone hg659 (without superuser details). It made no difference at all. I'm assuming it's just Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Technique wrote: »
    I would cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Technique wrote: »
    Actavo came to do my installation in August, and planned to run the fibre from my meter box, along the bellcast, and in through stonework at the front of my house into my hallway where I wanted the router. There was a blockage, however, in the ducting from the mini pillar so they had to abandon the install and wait for the civil guys to clear the blockage. In hindsight, I was lucky that this happened. The civil guys cleared the blockage a few weeks later and left the fibre cable coiled up in the meter box. I then took the fibre up through the cavity and into the attic.
    IMG_20180923_182221.jpg

IMG_20180923_182231.jpg

I then brought the cable down into a cloakroom which backs onto my hallway.

IMG_20180907_084845.jpg

IMG_20180907_084854.jpg

The Actavo guys returned and completed what was an easy install for them.

IMG_20180907_162654.jpg

[IMG][/img]https://i.postimg.cc/pr7qxrWb/IMG_20180907_162810.jpg

I can't believe they let you put the olt inside the house, i tried that with my installers and they were having none of it, they said it has to be outside and within a few meters of meter, so that siro can fix issues without entering the property. That was in April 2016, either they changed their policy or installers didn't care in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

My Satellite guy came on Saturday to add two extra wires so I could get Sky Q fitted to my house. All my wiring goes back to a central location (node0), CAT 6 and TV/Sat. Anyway as he was packing up he spotted the SIROo box on the light post at the front of my house and it got me to thinking.....
    So here are my Questions
    1) What kind of wiring do the installers use to the house and where would they run the wire to? (i.e. would they run the main feed/box to the exterior or interior of the house and if inside would they run to the node0 ?)
    2) What equipment is supplied, router or router and wifi? Any can I bridge the routed so I can connect my own WiFi router if needs be?
    3) Is the I.P. address a static or the other kind?
    4) when I check my address I am told I have got SIRO but I don't get and supplier option, any ideas?

Apologies if these are answered but I have just started at page 320.

EDIT>>>>>>

I have just had the update from the SIRO website and the two providers are Vodafone and DigiWeb, DigiWeb offer the Fritz!Box WiFi Modem & Home Media Hub.

It is still cheaper than my Virgin 340 which I only seem to see 100 to 170 max download and 37 up!

So here are my Questions
    1) What kind of wiring do the installers use to the house and where would they run the wire to? (i.e. would they run the main feed/box to the exterior or interior of the house and if inside would they run to the node0 ?)
    2) What equipment is supplied, router or router and wifi? Any can I bridge the routed so I can connect my own WiFi router if needs be?
    3) Is the I.P. address a static or the other kind?
    4) when I check my address I am told I have got SIRO but I don't get and supplier option, any ideas?

Apologies if these are answered but I have just started at page 120.

1) They run a fibre optic cable to a box like this

IMG_20180907_162654.jpg

This will be on the exterior of your home. A hole will be drilled and the fibre cable passed inside to the device on the left of this image

IMG_20180907_162810.jpg

There needs to be power at this point.

From the box on the left it is Ethernet to the router.

Depending on where your node0 is it may be easier to run Ethernet yourself from node0 to a suitable location.

2) There is more than one provider on SIRO. Each offers a combined WiFi router. If your own router supports VLAN tagging in WAN you shoukd be able to use it. No bridging required. You may lose any VoIP service you get as part of your package by doing this.

3) I think it is generally dynamic though again would be provider dependent.

4) No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Laying fibre in Trim this morning. Asked them and they said they're flying through this and it will be avaialable in about two months time. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database on our availability checker today.

Our SIRO coverage only includes the areas, that we cover. That would currently be Athlone, Carrickmines (includes Clay Farm), Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

The majority of the homes, that have been added, are in Athlone, Limerick and Portlaoise this month.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Drove through Mallow today and mad amount of wire pulling by TLi in town.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi All,

Quick update on number of new Premises added this month in Siro area's (where Digiweb provide service)

Carlow -976
    Carrigaline - 19
    Dublin 11 - 142
    Ongar, Dublin 15 - 372
    Portloaise - 98
    Limerick - 495
    Kilkenny - 289
    Athlone - 219
    Wexford - 1
    Naas,Newbridge,Kill,Clane - 779

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I just got a text from Digiweb that Siro is available at my address in Navan

I will contact them in the next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

paulboland wrote: »
    I just got a text from Digiweb that Siro is available at my address in Navan

I will contact them in the next 2 weeks

Don't bother, got same text and rang them, delated for another month.

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick update on number of new Premises added this month in Siro area's (where Digiweb provide service)

Carlow -976
    Carrigaline - 19
    Dublin 11 - 142
    Ongar, Dublin 15 - 372
    Portloaise - 98
    Limerick - 495
    Kilkenny - 289
    Athlone - 219
    Wexford - 1
    Naas,Newbridge,Kill,Clane - 779

Can you confirm that the 1TB limited is gone and it is unlimited? I was told this by Digiweb on the phone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

meathman0 wrote: »
    Can you confirm that the 1TB limited is gone and it is unlimited? I was told this by Digiweb on the phone today.

It's not gone.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/ -> click on additional information

"Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. If a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service."

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    It's not gone.

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/ -> click on additional information

"Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. If a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service."

/M

Seen that on the site and asked about it, was told site needs to be updated, I recorded the call in case I ever need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

meathman0 wrote: »
    Seen that on the site and asked about it, was told site needs to be updated, I recorded the call in case I ever need it.

Until they actually remove that or give you a document in writing of that fact, I would not take it as being removed.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Was due to have SIRO installed today (A week after ordering from Digiweb). Got the call confirming Friday morning. However I received another call on Friday evening cancelling it. The reason given being that a line engineer has to carry out work on the connection on the overhead line outside my home.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so how long was the wait before you were finally up and running?

Advertisement