Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

5starpool wrote: »
    Are all VF installs the gigabox now?
    All Siro installs from Vodafone are the Gigabox I believe.

On wired even the Huawei router does Gbit/s speeds. It's just crummy.

But yes .. all SIRO installation are guaranteed Gigabox. And the OpenEIR ones will also be soon as Huawei stocks are depleted.

And yes .. Ashbourne is currently Vodafone and Digiweb only.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All Siro installs from Vodafone are the Gigabox I believe.

Vodafone have only recently introduced the Gigabox so you'd have to expect it is up to the task of routing 1Gb. You should not have issues really.

In Ashbourne is it not just Vodafone and Digiweb available?

I have confirmed it is available with those two, but I was assuming, perhaps naively it may be that if it was available with one provider it would be available with all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I have confirmed it is available with those two, but I was assuming, perhaps naively it may be that if it was available with one provider it would be available with all.

If you put your Eircode into the checker on https://siro.ie it should tell you what providers are available in your area. Perhaps Airwire might be available but outside of that I would not expect any others bar Digiweb and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Doodie123

A question for Marlow - since he seems to be in Buncrana/Donegal at the minute.

I'm on a spur line (2 poles), about 250 meters way from the main poles where the fibers installed.

When the ESB crews were out stringing the fiber cable along my road, I checked with the contractors about the feasibility of getting the fiber extended up to my house.

My premises wasn't initially covered on the map the guy had, but he then said that he would make sure that there was a junction (connector?) at our pole.

He then stated that later on, i could get a much thinner finer optic cable "like a bootlace" ran up to my house. Since i'm an existing VF Broadband/Mobile/landline customer that would probably be free.

There seems to be some sort of junction connector on the new Pole at the road. My 2 neighbors on either side of me, at the main road - their Eircode say 6 months - but mine says unavailable.

So.. possibly i have the connector on the pole, but am not in the database. Is there any way to check or rectify that?

And if i do get added, how do I go about arranging the fiber to be extended when it's available.

It'll be an overhead connection as the the ducting exit is buried in the wall.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

No .. SIRO works differently than other networks. The wholesale partner has to meet SIRO at the interconnect for every area and ensure they have sufficient bandwidth to that point.

Ashbourne is part of the Dublin Northwest Internconnect. That is Finglas, Tyrrelstown, Ongar, Ashbourne, Dunshauglin, Dunboyne/Clonee and Ratoath.

Airwire for example services the following interconnects at the moment: Athlone, Dublin West, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, and Sligo. Those places then make up the list of towns and cities we list on our website for SIRO.

Ennis serves Ennis and Shannon. So when you look at those two, you'll find that Digiweb doesn't serve, them. Only Vodafone and us.

It's down to where the partners have expanded their network to. We have no presence in North Dublin. So that's why you won't be able to order from us there. The SIRO website tells you what providers cover an area.

• Advertisement

Doodie123 wrote: »
    A question for Marlow - since he seems to be in Buncrana/Donegal at the minute.

I'm on a spur line (2 poles), about 250 meters way from the main poles where the fibers installed.

When the ESB crews were out stringing the fiber cable along my road, I checked with the contractors about the feasibility of getting the fiber extended up to my house.

My premises wasn't initially covered on the map the guy had, but he then said that he would make sure that there was a junction (connector?) at our pole.

He then stated that later on, i could get a much thinner finer optic cable "like a bootlace" ran up to my house. Since i'm an existing VF Broadband/Mobile/landline customer that would probably be free.

There seems to be some sort of junction connector on the new Pole at the road. My 2 neighbors on either side of me, at the main road - their Eircode say 6 months - but mine says unavailable.

So.. possibly i have the connector on the pole, but am not in the database. Is there any way to check or rectify that?

And if i do get added, how do I go about arranging the fiber to be extended when it's available.

It'll be an overhead connection as the the ducting exit is buried in the wall.

Not sure, how you got that idea. I'm way further down in the country, but know the area well.

Up your way it's Vodafone and Digiweb. Contact them or SIRO. They can either look it up in their systems (if they bother) or you could send a mail off to SIRO.

Or is this OpenEIR you're referring to ? In that case wrong thread :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

I saw some overhead FTTH cabling being done on the Rathbeale Rd. in Swords recently and initially thought it was Eir, but then I realised it was using ESB poles. So, it must be Siro. They were using what looked like large wooden clothes-pegs to hang the cable temporarily around the poles. It was very strange looking. But, the finished product looks sound enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

plodder wrote: »
    I saw some overhead FTTH cabling being done on the Rathbeale Rd. in Swords recently and initially thought it was Eir, but then I realised it was using ESB poles. So, it must be Siro. They were using what looked like large wooden clothes-pegs to hang the cable temporarily around the poles. It was very strange looking. But, the finished product looks sound enough.

Those close peg things you saw were most likely for earthing the overhead network while the new optical cable was being installed under (or over it).

I thought I saw somewhere recently that Vodafone had 25 for 6 months then 45, but it seems to be 55 now. Did I imagine the 45 price?

I thought I saw somewhere recently that Vodafone had 25 for 6 months then 45, but it seems to be 55 now. Did I imagine the 45 price?

The prices are on the SIRO website. It's always been 55 EUR for Vodafone.

A lot of the SIRO providers offer the 150 Mbit/s for 45/month.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

12 month contract. €25 a month for 6 months. From €45 a month after that.
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html
    45€ for up to 100mbps 55€ for the 1000mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

€25 for 6 months then €45
    That's not a siro package

It's Vodafone Simply Broadband Fibre up to 100Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

My Digiweb Siro Gigabit order the install is scheduled for Monday 17th

Digiweb shipped the fritzbox to me already

I will test the fritzbox after the install is completed but I will very likely be using my asus wireless router instead as that has lot better wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I had Siro installed couple of months ago. I really wanted to post and share some results, but I just couldn't get around to do it.
    I want to thank the team at Airwire for such a great service. I had pleasure to experience nothing but great things from this company:D

2f749707-08d8-46d8-973e-da5543f84be5.png

b17297e8-29e0-4004-b361-8dcbe0b36179.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ballwebhost

Have started seeing TLI Group vans working on ESB Poles outside our estate in the last week or so, there was 6/7 vans yesterday at least.

The Siro website is showing the following:

uZ7xGpD.png

Being realistic, I'm wondering will we be able to sign up for Siro within 6 months?

Ballincollig is one of the rollout towns, but I'm based outside Ballincollig in Ovens which is strange that they're starting this direction and (I assume) working towards Ballincollig itself.

Have started seeing TLI Group vans working on ESB Poles outside our estate in the last week or so, there was 6/7 vans yesterday at least.

The Siro website is showing the following:

uZ7xGpD.png

Being realistic, I'm wondering will we be able to sign up for Siro within 6 months?

Ballincollig is one of the rollout towns, but I'm based outside Ballincollig in Ovens which is strange that they're starting this direction and (I assume) working towards Ballincollig itself.

Every area is different, but it was 4 months from when I first saw work happening (not necessarily the same thing as the start of the work though) in my estate until it was enabled.

I'm due to get SIRO installed next Wednesday, exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I notice it is coming up as available in Blarney Street in Cork City which would indicate that Huawei is moving very rapidly if they've already got services available.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I notice it is coming up as available in Blarney Street in Cork City which would indicate that Huawei is moving very rapidly if they've already got services available.

Yeah they done lots of work the last few weeks on Blarney steet, massive amount of vans around the place.

Seems they're doing ducting around the Blackpool / Lady's Well side of Patrick's Hill, so I assume they'll quite quickly sweep up through Wellington Road and across into Mayfield and Montenotte and so on.

They should pick up quite a lot of customers as there are plenty of areas that Virgin doesn't cover due to Multichannel skipping random streets / sections of streets and so on and Eir doesn't have stellar service in right in the city i.e. long lines back to exchanges instead of cabinets and so on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Showing as within 6 months now for me on the checker.

Fantastic news given my 22Mbit Eir FTTC is out of contract in April.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering what's the possibility of signing up with say Digiweb on FTTC and then when Siro becomes available, moving to that?
    Would they still lock you into a 12 month contract with the slower technology?

I was just wondering what's the possibility of signing up with say Digiweb on FTTC and then when Siro becomes available, moving to that?

Ask them. Any decent internet provider will let you upgrade. Moving you to SIRO (after at least 6 months on OpenEIR) is actually benefitial to them .. money wise :) ( I didn't say that :p )

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

When you sign up to FTTC you are normally tied to the initial 12 month contract but if your address becomes SIRO enabled during that time they will allow you to upgrade once you agree a new 12 month contract. If you contact Digiweb sales on 1800 285828 this should be clarified for you.

75126 FTTH connections at the end of Q3 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. The previous reports had a trend of a 10000 increase quarter on quarter so only an extra 5000 in this report is surprising given the aggressive SIRO promotion.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q3-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

75126 FTTH connections at the end of Q3 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, Openeir and SIRO being the largest. The previous reports had a trend of a 10000 increase quarter on quarter so only an extra 5000 in this report is surprising given the aggressive SIRO promotion.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q3-2018/
    I think your eyes are playing tricks with you. Last quarter FTTP was 60,754.

Thanks as ever.

FTTH takes over..................

https://imgur.com/a/J9KjSVT

KOR101 wrote: »
    I think your eyes are playing tricks with you. Last quarter FTTP was 60,754.

Thanks as ever.

I meant 5000 over the usual 10000 quarterly increase figure. I was expecting more than 15000 to be honest.

I meant 5000 over the usual 10000 quarterly increase figure. I was expecting more than 15000 to be honest.
    Apologies......get you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

It seems Sky are now also offering FTTH via SIRO in some areas:-
    https://siro.ie/towns/shannon/

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

peking97 wrote: »
    It seems Sky are now also offering FTTH via SIRO in some areas:-
    https://siro.ie/towns/shannon/

Yes showing live in my estate in Newbridge as well.

Advertisement