Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

peking97 wrote: »
    It seems Sky are now also offering FTTH via SIRO in some areas:-
    https://siro.ie/towns/shannon/
    Sky Fibre Ultra is totally unlimited, but we want to make sure that everyone can enjoy using the service to the fullest, so we've created a fair usage policy.

€99 set-up fee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got vodafone siro ftth installed today lads in and out in an hour happy with the work
    They connected their laptop speed showing 989mb but on my phone I'm only getting 400 plus on my Samsung Galaxy s8.. brother in law across the road same story
    Disapointed Thought I'd be getting better any ideas please

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's worth looking at the rest of that "totally unlimited" bit:
    Sky Fibre Ultra is totally unlimited, but we want to make sure that everyone can enjoy using the service to the fullest, so we've created a fair usage policy. If you exceed limits for data usage, we'll send you a warning, and continued excessive use could result in your services being cancelled.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

peking97 wrote: »
    It seems Sky are now also offering FTTH via SIRO in some areas:-
    https://siro.ie/towns/shannon/

Aye. Their pricing seems to have gone live for Xmas, but they can only service places that BT has connectivity in.

/M

Got vodafone siro ftth installed today lads in and out in an hour happy with the work
    They connected their laptop speed showing 989mb but on my phone I'm only getting 400 plus on my Samsung Galaxy s8.. brother in law across the road same story

What exactly are you expecting over WiFi? Gigabit broadband is for cabled connections.

• Advertisement

You won't get 1000Mb/s on a phone. Manage your expectations.

Why would you want that kind of speed on a phone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Marlow wrote: »
    Aye. Their pricing seems to have gone live for Xmas, but they can only service places that BT has connectivity in.

/M

Yeah, expect sky to light a fire under BT to have the new towns connected

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

The sky prices seem ridiculously high, the 350Mb package goes up to €85 per month after 12 months. It doesn't say any tv service is included, maybe it does at those prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Mgit wrote: »
    The sky prices seem ridiculously high, the 350Mb package goes up to €85 per month after 12 months. It doesn't say any tv service is included, it seems like it should at those prices...

Totally agree. And I'm also seeing a one-off connection fee of €200 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

400 plus is perfectly normal max for Samsung devices like the phones and notes and I've discussed this with Sky technical support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

400Mb plus on WiFi is excellent. You wont get near 1000Mb on a consumer wireless device like a laptop or phone. 900mb+ speeds are direct cable speeds with cat 5e or above cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Cork981 wrote: »
    Yeah they done lots of work the last few weeks on Blarney steet, massive amount of vans around the place.

If they could just work their way down towards Shandon St now I'd be happy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

You're expecting a lot from wifi

The max speed for an S8 with MU-MIMO on the 2.4GHz radio is 300Mbps so it looks like you're already on the 5GHz radio, so not much you can do to improve it I'd say.

Anyways what you're getting is more than what you need on a phone so no big deal, or if it really bothers you, you could try a powerful AP like a Dell 225 WIAP which are monsters.. 1.3Gbps on 5GHz, 600Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1.9Gbps on ethernet.

I'd be over the moon to get your speeds where I live.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Quite a few new Siro premises added to our network across most towns this morning.

Our broadband checker tool has been updated if anyone needs to check

https://www.digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

€99 set-up fee also.

€99 for existing Sky Broadband customers who choose to upgrade or downgrade. Standard broadband activation fee of €5-€10 depending upon product choice.

Could be more for new customers.

Fair use policy, which isn't clearly defined on the website.

/M

Has anyone found the FUP for the Sky Ultra product?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

New premises passed within our coverage:
    Limerick - 186
    Portlaoise - 536

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

@Navi

Where did you find the quote...

Sky Fibre Ultra is totally unlimited, but we want to make sure that everyone can enjoy using the service to the fullest, so we've created a fair usage policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There is a FUP for the sky product, same FUP across all their FTTH products.

KOR101 wrote: »
    @Navi

Here ... https://www.sky.com/ie/shop/choose/broadband-selector/product-selection .. it says:

Sky Fibre: Selected Fibre areas only. Speeds vary by location. Up to 100 Mb download speed. No usage caps. External factors can affect speed.

Sky Fibre Ultra: Availability subject to location. Up to 1Gb/s download speed (varies by product selection). Set up fee of €99. Minimum contract and further terms apply.”

In the legal stuff. And further terms in not encouraging.

I've seen the fair use somewhere, but their site is a mess .. at best.

/M

• Advertisement

@Navi

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/frequently-asked-questions-sky-fibre-ultra

"Is there a data usage policy...?"

@Navi

The link that oscarBravo posted.

I also found this in relation to their usage policy:

https://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

Apparently you need to email abuse@sky.com if you have any queries about the AUP.

€99 set-up fee also.
    The link that oscarBravo posted.

I also found this in relation to their usage policy:

https://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

Apparently you need to email abuse@sky.com if you have any queries about the AUP.
    Okay, we will see how this plays out. If I was a potential customer, I would need to know this for sure for sure in writing.

Their pricing is a bigger scam than what Eir are doing for sure.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Got my Siro install done yesterday. There was a little scare when the Actavo guys called me outside to show me that they weren't able to proceed at the duct was blocked, but as they were demonstrating, the cable fed through, so crisis over! The ONT is far smaller than I thought it was going to be, only about 3 inches wide, so fit very neatly, and is behind a cabinet anyhow.

Thanks to all in here who answered my questions recently!

Although Vodafone posted an operating profit, the gain was mostly wiped out by losses at Siro, its 50-50 fibre infrastructure joint venture with ESB.

Vodafone said 150,000 of the planned 500,000 homes targeted in 50 regional towns had been “passed” with fibre allowing 1-gigabit internet speeds by the end of March. Vodafone swallowed €13.7 million as its half share of Siro’s losses for the year, while it committed to investing €29 million in the roll-out over the coming year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-ireland-back-in-the-black-on-sales-of-966m-1.3738632

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Although Vodafone posted an operating profit, the gain was mostly wiped out by losses at Siro, its 50-50 fibre infrastructure joint venture with ESB.

Vodafone said 150,000 of the planned 500,000 homes targeted in 50 regional towns had been “passed” with fibre allowing 1-gigabit internet speeds by the end of March. Vodafone swallowed €13.7 million as its half share of Siro’s losses for the year, while it committed to investing €29 million in the roll-out over the coming year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-ireland-back-in-the-black-on-sales-of-966m-1.3738632

Looks like an excellent year for them.
    Almost one third of their target number passed with FTTH, and given the proposed investment next year should see them complete it, or close to it.
    Revenues should continue to rise steadily as people sign up for FTTH over the coming years.

Looks like an excellent year for them.
    Almost one third of their target number passed with FTTH, and given the proposed investment next year should see them complete it, or close to it.
    Revenues should continue to rise steadily as people sign up for FTTH over the coming years.
    Vodafone net profit was €1.7 million on revenues of €966 million.

Virgin Media in the same ballpark. Revenue of €344.5 million and pre-tax losses of €9.05 million.

Eir revenues €1,252m loss before tax €65m.

What a business! :eek:

SIRO have another approx 200-250,000 homes to go, so it will be two years in all likelihood. We're lucky that it's such big players; smaller ones probably would have bailed on the investment. And, we're also lucky that Eir was forced to jump the gun with the commitment contract. Over 400k passed in such a short period is a minor miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Do Sky insist on you using their router as with VDSL?

(I have DigiWeb over SIRO, who don't.)

Advertisement