Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

peking97 wrote: »
    Totally agree. And I'm also seeing a one-off connection fee of €200 :eek:

Me too, is the setup cost based on area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Red Alert wrote: »
    Do Sky insist on you using their router as with VDSL?

(I have DigiWeb over SIRO, who don't.)

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Marlow wrote: »
    The prices are on the SIRO website. It's always been 55 EUR for Vodafone.

A lot of the SIRO providers offer the 150 Mbit/s for 45/month.

/M

I just signed up with Vodafone it went very smooth, deal I got was the package 25 for 6 months and then 50 EUR per month after that with all local calls and national calls. No install charge.

I am an existing Vodafone Customer not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone upgraded on VF recently from Fibre to Siro and did you get any deal? I'm currently almost at the end of an 18 month contract and 1GB is now available at my address.

1) When I first switched to VF they told me I'd automatically be upgraded to Siro when it went live....
    2) I call to local VF store yesterday and the guy (senior enough I thought) tells me he can off € 25/month for the BB/TV/Phone deal but only on another 18 month contract. Says it doesn't matter how far into existing contract I am. Told me if I want just 12 months to call or go online as they can't do in store.
    3) Called their number yesterday and after the same conversation with two different people they told me you can't get the 12 month deal over phone and it has to be online. Both knew that I was an existing customer.
    4) Now this morning I try ordering online and there's no option to say "I'm an existing customer". I get onto their online chat and the person there tells me what the others told me was rubbish and 12 months is only for a brand new customer!?

Has any existing customer managed to upgrade with a discount and just a 12 month commitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

Hi Folks, I'm looking for some advice please... my parents switched to Vodafone FTTH a few months ago and also got the VF phone service. They had no phone for 6 weeks but now the phone line works for calls in and out, but there is no caller ID being displayed for incoming calls. VF says they can't fix it (I'm not sure exactly what they told my Dad). Currently the handset is a Panasonic DECT model that worked fine on old copper phone line.
    My question I guess is is anyone here successfully using the VF FTTH phone service and could they tell me what make / model of phone they have that works for caller ID? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What router ?

The Huawei one ? or the Vodafone Gigabox ?

If the caller-id worked on the copper, then it should work fine on VoIP through the router, too. Unless Vodafone have an issue that is.

Also check, if the router has a call log and caller-ids are shown there. (That is the case with the Fritz!Box of other providers. I'm not sure, if Vodafones router has that feature).

If it has a call-log, but no caller-ids are listed there, then the problem is not with the phone.

If it has a call-log and caller-ids are shown, then the problem is with the phone or the router.

/M

What router ?

The Huawei one ? or the Vodafone Gigabox ?

If the caller-id worked on the copper, then it should work fine on VoIP through the router, too. Unless Vodafone have an issue that is.

Also check, if the router has a call log and caller-ids are shown there. (That is the case with the Fritz!Box of other providers. I'm not sure, if Vodafones router has that feature).

If it has a call-log, but no caller-ids are listed there, then the problem is not with the phone.

If it has a call-log and caller-ids are shown, then the problem is with the phone or the router.

/M
    I think it is the gigabit router. How do I check the call log? Thanks for the help

Edit: I did some Googling and found how to log in to router... Will try later, thanks

MickH503 wrote: »
    I think it is the gigabit router. How do I check the call log? Thanks for the help

Log into the webinterface of the router and have a snoop around. I've not had my hands on one of the Gigabox ones and information on the internet is quite limited.

See, what you can see, that is phone related and if there is a call log.

/M

Log into the webinterface of the router and have a snoop around. I've not had my hands on one of the Gigabox ones and information on the internet is quite limited.

See, what you can see, that is phone related and if there is a call log.

/M
    In the router's call log, all the Received Calls show as "Anonymous". As suggested above that would imply a problem with the router or Vodafone's side of things, right, and not the handset?

In the router's call log, all the Received Calls show as "Anonymous". As suggested above that would imply a problem with the router or Vodafone's side of things, right, and not the handset?

Correct. Nothing wrong with the phone. That's more than likely a problem between Vodafone and the router.

/M

• Advertisement

Correct. Nothing wrong with the phone. That's more than likely a problem between Vodafone and the router.

/M

So just to update, it might be of interest to anybody considering switching to Vodafone ftth packages ... Vodafone are saying that they cannot provide Caller ID on their VoIP phone lines and that it isn't possible and isn't something they can or do provide.

Ah here ...

What sort of century do they think they're living in ? I've seen telcos charge extra for the caller-id service in some countries, but not providing it at all is a bit silly.

Any other SIRO partner that provides a phone service will probably have that feature.

/M

Ah here ...

What sort of century do they think they're living in ? I've seen telcos charge extra for the caller-id service in some countries, but not providing it at all is a bit silly.

Any other SIRO partner that provides a phone service will probably have that feature.

/M

That's exactly what I thought. I wonder if the other SIRO partners do provide it? Or Eir on their FFTH product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That's exactly what I thought. I wonder if the other SIRO partners do provide it? Or Eir on their FFTH product?

Caller ID works fine on eir VoIP. It is quite amazing that Vodafone can't provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So just to update, it might be of interest to anybody considering switching to Vodafone ftth packages ... Vodafone are saying that they cannot provide Caller ID on their VoIP phone lines and that it isn't possible and isn't something they can or do provide.

Do you have a link to that or was it from some other form of contact, such as phone or messaging?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Either you were talking to someone in support who was misinformed or it’s an issue with the Gigabox router as I’m on Vodafone Ftth (Huawei router though) and I do have caller id.

Do you have a link to that or was it from some other form of contact, such as phone or messaging?

Thanks.

I talked to their "help" desk today. I wonder is it a limitation of that modem? Not sure who makes it ... the black Gigabox? Or they just can't be arsed sorting it.
    Does the Huawei router support their TV service?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Our phone service has caller-id.

From what you describe, it's either a problem on their VoIP platform or with their Gigabox router.

If others can confirm, that they have caller-id on their older Huawei routers, then it would certainly be a router issue.

Be aware, that customers on the OpenEIR platform using them sometimes have the phone line on copper. It's important to compare solutions, that use VoIP/VoBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Won't be subscribing in that case. A phone line without Caller ID in 2018 is beyond ridiculous.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Won't be subscribing in that case. A phone line without Caller ID in 2018 is beyond ridiculous.

Good thing that you always can go for an alternative VoIP provider.

/M

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »

Yes it is. The "landline" would not bother me personally but my folks depend on it. I asked about switching back to a POTS landline and they said they could do that but could not tell me the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yes it is. The "landline" would not bother me personally but my folks depend on it. I asked about switching back to a POTS landline and they said they could do that but could not tell me the price.

Have you tried asking on their Talk To forum here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

The fact another poster has Caller ID working, albeit with a different router, leads me to think you got bad information from whoever you were talking to. If it is the case that they cannot provide the service it would be good to get them to put it in writing to warn off other potential customers.

Have you tried asking on their Talk To forum here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

The fact another poster has Caller ID working, albeit with a different router, leads me to think you got bad information from whoever you were talking to. If it is the case that they cannot provide the service it would be good to get them to put it in writing to warn off other potential customers.

I just talked to them again and am none the wiser ... they seem to be saying Caller ID is not possible on the SIRO system.
    I'll try the talk to forum, thanks!

I just talked to them again and am none the wiser ... they seem to be saying Caller ID is not possible on the SIRO system.
    I'll try the talk to forum, thanks!

That's a whole lot of bollix.

SIRO has NOTHING to do with their phone service. SIRO only carries the last mile .. fibre ... IP .. nothing else.

So it's either their router or their infrastructure, that's at fault. SIRO doesn't even come into the picture. Even worse is, that they're a shareholder of SIRO. It should be their interest to provide a better service on SIRO than on any other network.

It clearly is an internal Vodafone technical cock-up ... and useless support staff.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

I have SIRO and Phone from Digiweb,,, and do have Caller ID.

Modem is The FRITZ!Box 7560 ... a very fine piece of kit..

That's a whole lot of bollix.

SIRO has NOTHING to do with their phone service. SIRO only carries the last mile .. fibre ... IP .. nothing else.

So it's either their router or their infrastructure, that's at fault. SIRO doesn't even come into the picture. Even worse is, that they're a shareholder of SIRO. It should be their interest to provide a better service on SIRO than on any other network.

It clearly is an internal Vodafone technical cock-up ... and useless support staff.

/M

That's what I would have thought too ... I don't get it. Certainly gives me food for thought for when FTTH becomes available for my home!!

Our phone service has caller-id.

From what you describe, it's either a problem on their VoIP platform or with their Gigabox router.

If others can confirm, that they have caller-id on their older Huawei routers, then it would certainly be a router issue.

Be aware, that customers on the OpenEIR platform using them sometimes have the phone line on copper. It's important to compare solutions, that use VoIP/VoBB.

Thanks Martin ... pardon my ignorance, but is AirWire on the SIRO network?

That's what I would have thought too ... I don't get it. Certainly gives me food for thought for when FTTH becomes available for my home!!

Not so much a matter of FTTH. More a matter of what provider you pick.

Fortunately there are at least 8 providers available on the SIRO network. Not every provider on every segment, but in a lot of places you have the choice of at least 2.

And on OpenEIR FTTH there are even more.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Thanks Martin ... pardon my ignorance, but is AirWire on the SIRO network?

Of course we are. We are an official partner of SIRO. But we are not on all interconnects / in all areas.

Details can be found here: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

You can also find the list of official partners on SIROs website https://siro.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

I've got the Vodafone Gigabox Router and I can confirm that I've got caller ID.

Advertisement