Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

Technique wrote: »
    I've got the Vodafone Gigabox Router and I can confirm that I've got caller ID.

That's interesting, thank you. Pardon the stupid question, but is it SIRO FTTH you have? (I don't know if Vodafone use that router for their eFibre products too) and your phone is definitely plugged into the Gigabox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

Yes, SIRO through Vodafone. A Siemens Gigaset AS180 landline phone plugged into the Gigabox.

I phoned it from my mobile and my name came up on the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

Technique wrote: »
    Yes, SIRO through Vodafone. A Siemens Gigaset AS180 landline phone plugged into the Gigabox.

I phoned it from my mobile and my name came up on the handset.
    Thanks again, that's something to ask them when they get back to me.

Do you mind saying what part of the country you're in?

I put a long post on the Talk To Vodafone forum so will see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's just VoIP. Whether it's on Siro, OpenEir or any other internet service is irrelevant.

I'm just surprised that Vodafone are giving such a nonsense explanation and it puts me right off subscribing to them as it's such a ridiculous explanation to give anyone.

When Siro arrives I'll be looking at one of the other ISPs.

Also is it possible that the router is set for the BT caller ID protocol or something like that? This is non international standard. Irish caller ID used by Eir and Virgin etc is in full compliance with widespread ETSI (European telecommunications standards institute) norms.

Basically with analogue caller ID, data is delivered with a short blast of modem signals from the exchange or the VoIP router in this case.

In the Irish and commonly used international standard, the phone listens for this after the first pulse of ringing signal.

In the BT system the exchange reverses the polarity of the line (swaps the live and neutral) to alert the phone to listen for a caller ID modem signals. A lot of phones sold in Ireland and outside the UK generally will not understand this as it's a UK specific standard that was never adopted anywhere else. Some understand both types.

It's quite possible Vodafone have just picked UK as the localisation option for this market in that hub even though it would be technically incorrect. You'd be better setting it to France or Germany. The only thing we have in common with the UK is the 'ring ring..' ringing tone. Everything else is the same as continental Europe.

I'm surprised that they're not just offering proper VoIP without the need for analogue at all. All you need is a sip server, username and password and you should be able to bring proper VoIP phones - they allow things like multiple calls simultaneously on different cordless phones, HD voice etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Also is it possible that the router is set for the BT caller ID protocol or something like that? This is non international standard. Irish caller ID used by Eir and Virgin etc is in full compliance with widespread ETSI (European telecommunications standards institute) norms.

No, it doesn't matter.

Because even if it was set up for UK caller-id, the router would still log the calls correctly with phone number.

UK caller-id vs Irish caller-id only matter on the analog port. NOT on the router-side and the VoIP session.

That's why I asked to check the routers call-log. Which he clearly has confirmed only shows "Anonymous" calls. So it's a problem with the router or Vodafones own service.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If they're coming up as annoymous in the router, there a problem with settings on the network side.

The fact that they just brushed someone off with a ridiculous excuse that caller ID doesn't work on VoIP just makes me think their technical support for Siro customers is very poor and I would avoid them like the plague having read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Killer_Paul

Does anyone know if its possible to keep a FTTC service and also get SIRO FTTH at the same time and have 2 ISPs? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Does anyone know if its possible to keep a FTTC service and also get SIRO FTTH at the same time and have 2 ISPs? Thanks

Of course you can. You can get Virgin Media and Imagine fixed wireless, too, because they all use completely different infrastructures. Not sure why you'd want to though, FTTH is more than enough, though if I had the money to burn I would get FTTH with both Eir and SIRO and then merge the lines with a DrayTek Vigor just for the extra upload speed.

Of course you can. You can get Virgin Media and Imagine fixed wireless, too, because they all use completely different infrastructures. Not sure why you'd want to though, FTTH is more than enough, though if I had the money to burn I would get FTTH with both Eir and SIRO and then merge the lines with a DrayTek Vigor just for the extra upload speed.

I'm on a friends & family eir offer with 3 mobile sims, eir vision tv, fibre and home phone, if i cancel my home phone & fibre service my 3 sim-only price plans alone would increase where the difference wouldn't be worth it and I'd also lose Eir/BT sports channels from Sky and the eir sports mobile app which is very handy for chromecasting all the Sports channels. So I plan on keeping my Eir fibre on the old copper lines into the house and getting Siro also.

I'm on a friends & family eir offer with 3 mobile sims, eir vision tv, fibre and home phone, if i cancel my home phone & fibre service my 3 sim-only price plans alone would increase where the difference wouldn't be worth it and I'd also lose Eir/BT sports channels from Sky and the eir sports mobile app which is very handy for chromecasting all the Sports channels. So I plan on keeping my Eir fibre on the old copper lines into the house and getting Siro also.

Overall not a bad plan, because it means you have a backup. Especially, when you have the VDSL for free by that calculation.

As others have said .. they have nothing to do with each other. So there is no issue in having both.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

May be no harm buying a router yourself that can do Dual WAN.

Red Alert wrote: »
    May be no harm buying a router yourself that can do Dual WAN.

He may find it difficult to find one that does FTTH + VDSL as a dual-wan combo. It also has advantages to have the 2 lines on seperate routers.

There's no point balancing 2 lines that are quite a bit uneven in terms of speed profiles.

Balancing the lines usually means, that you only get double of the slower connection.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    He may find it difficult to find one that does FTTH + VDSL as a dual-wan combo. It also has advantages to have the 2 lines on seperate routers.

There's no point balancing 2 lines that are quite a bit uneven in terms of speed profiles.

Balancing the lines usually means, that you only get double of the slower connection.

/M

Yes I would keep these separate and only use eir for the eir vision TV box.

Yes I would keep these separate and only use eir for the eir vision TV box.

At least the TV box then doesn't drag your internet connection down. And it can indeed use quite a bit of bandwidth.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Especially with FUP

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Just wondering how long does it take from ordering to having the service available for most customers?
    I know there are edge cases where there are problems with the ducting etc but just wanting to know the typical timeframe.

I cancelled my eir fttc service in December and tried to sign-up for VF fttc to replace it, should have been a quick change of modem/router, only to be told by VF cust care today that the cancelled the order as they can't supply the service.
    I'm sure they just want me to take Siro-powered 'Gigabit' instead.
    Now I'm left without BB until I can sort another provider for fttc.

Or do I make the move to ftth with Siro altogether?

My options are VF, Airwire or Sky for Siro - leaning towards Airwire as Sky install fee is €200 and VF have screwed me around!
    Any recommendations?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you had eir VDSL, switching to Vodafone should have taken a day.

I don't think you can go wrong with Airwire, you'll see a lot of positive feedback in this forum. Sky are still a relatively unknown quantity on SIRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you had eir VDSL, switching to Vodafone should have taken a day.

I don't think you can go wrong with Airwire, you'll see a lot of positive feedback in this forum. Sky are still a relatively unknown quantity on SIRO.

I wonder are Vodafone now refusing to supply VDSL to new customers where they have SIRO available. The above poster seems to have been told that and it would tie-in with the scaremongering letters Vodafone have been sending to customers about switching off their VDSL service.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I wonder are Vodafone now refusing to supply VDSL to new customers where they have SIRO available. The above poster seems to have been told that and it would tie-in with the scaremongering letters Vodafone have been sending to customers about switching off their VDSL service.

Yeah, that's the vibe I've been getting.

@navi & @oscarBravo - Definitely feels that way!

Changing from Eir's vdsl to VF vdsl should have been as simply as switching the modem!

Really annoyed with VF as they didn't even contact me to tell me it was cancelled - I've had to go hounding customer care as to why I hadn't received my modem!

• Advertisement

Vodafone have an odd way of doing business at times ..

As for SIRO .. disregardless of provider, it depends on where you are.

Ducted/vaulted is straight forward unless there is a problem. Used to be 2-3 days but with the promotion they got so busy that it's 2 weeks (worst case) in some areas.

Overhead however generally takes a good bit of time. Be prepared to wait a month in that case.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone have an odd way of doing business at times ..

As for SIRO .. disregardless of provider, it depends on where you are.

Ducted/vaulted is straight forward unless there is a problem. Used to be 2-3 days but with the promotion they got so busy that it's 2 weeks (worst case) in some areas.

Overhead however generally takes a good bit of time. Be prepared to wait a month in that case.

/M

No overhead lines here in my estate so assuming it's ducted.

theShire wrote: »
    No overhead lines here in my estate so assuming it's ducted.

Or surface ran ... but you'd spot that, too.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Ordered 21 Aug, still waiting for installation. Fibre is on the pole outside my gate and they dont seem to have the ability to install it. Funny thing, my neighbour across the road has it installed from the same pole. I dont blame VF for this but as the installers are their agents you'll need to push for the service your paying for, or be prepared for a long wait, 138 days to date.....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I gave up waiting. Being told next year every year for the past 8years. Fed up paying €64 for land-line and 3.5 down and 0.25 up. Ditched Eir and done something I said I'd never do again.i signed up with 3. I got the 4g router. Plugged it in and luckily I can see the mast about mile and a half away. Pointed external ariels in that direction and boom. 100+ down 30+ up. Eir are now working on the lines outside for the fibre, but for €30 a month and 750gb a month allowance I'm sticking with three for the foreseeable.... Too late Eir, too late..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I gave up waiting. Being told next year every year for the past 8years. Fed up paying €64 for land-line and 3.5 down and 0.25 up. Ditched Eir and done something I said I'd never do again.i signed up with 3. I got the 4g router. Plugged it in and luckily I can see the mast about mile and a half away. Pointed external ariels in that direction and boom. 100+ down 30+ up. Eir are now working on the lines outside for the fibre, but for €30 a month and 750gb a month allowance I'm sticking with three for the foreseeable.... Too late Eir, too late..

Great post and totally agree with it but it's in the wrong thread! Stick it on an Eir thread. Personally think that packages with Eir fibre and resellers is too expensive for what seems to be great prices from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I ordered SIRO from Digiweb on Monday night at 11pm and it was installed this afternoon. Not a bad turnaround. The router from Digiweb hasn't even arrived yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see Siro have hired someone to cover the email and social media accounts again.
    I've had replies to email queries from October prefaced with the following...

"We experienced a change in staff for this account and as such are dealing with any and all queries that were left behind in 2018.
    If your query has been resolved, please ignore"

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Does anyone have any experience with getting SIRO installed into externally insulated house?
    I read somewhere they won't drill through external insulation so they are not liable for any water ingress.
    We have overhead pole outside the house.
    Neighbor has SIRO from the next pole. and they put the external box ground floor next to front door.
    How much say do you have where they fit the box? What if we have hole predilled?
    Given you need power on the inside for the OTN.

Vodafone or Digiweb in my area, nor Eir.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Does anyone have any experience with getting SIRO installed into externally insulated house?
    I read somewhere they won't drill through external insulation so they are not liable for any water ingress.
    We have overhead pole outside the house.
    Neighbor has SIRO from the next pole. and they put the external box ground floor next to front door.
    How much say do you have where they fit the box? What if we have hole predilled?
    Given you need power on the inside for the OTN.

Vodafone or Digiweb in my area, nor Eir.

Thanks.

Hiya, Correct Siro's contractor Actavo won't be responsible for drilling through external insulation. You could as you suggest pre drill the hole. Feel free to send us a Private Message if you'd like any further help

Advertisement