Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Flashing LOS with PON light off means the received optical power is too low so likely a bad connection or break in the cable. Probably needs a technician visit.

Flashing LOS with PON light also flashing means the ONT is considered rogue by the OLT. This would need to be sorted out between your ISP and Siro.

Timelines I'm not sure about.

No PON light on so I guess it's the first scenario. Many thanks for your response

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    No PON light on so I guess it's the first scenario. Many thanks for your response

SIRO technicians have just left. It was indeed a broken connection in the outside box. No idea how that happened but apparently they can be quite flimsy. All back up and running now. Pretty quick turnaround all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Cork981 wrote: »
    Yeah they done lots of work the last few weeks on Blarney steet, massive amount of vans around the place.

Any more updates on where they're at on the rollout, was hoping they might make it to Shandon St at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

I'm hearing a number of Management Agents in Dublin are advising OMCs not to let Siro in to their development/apartment complexes.
    They are telling them that they weren't happy with finish of works/disruption etc by the contractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

jd wrote: »
    I'm hearing a number of Management Agents in Dublin are advising OMCs not to let Siro in to their development/apartment complexes.
    They are telling them that they weren't happy with finish of works/disruption etc by the contractors.

There's a history of blocking access to broadband in apartments in Ireland generally. It's something that needs to be sorted out by legislation.

I don't think any apartment building should be allowed to go up without a system of neutral ducts and distribution cabinets for any future wiring system to be put in place - coax, fibre or whatever is needed.

It's this kind of thing that drags down broadband speeds and also makes apartment dwelling unattractive relative to other countries.

I would consider access to fibre services more important to me than say natural gas, which I could comfortably live without using other fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

jimmad wrote: »
    So got siro installed eventually on monday past, tidy install even with the difficulties.

Heres a direct side by side comparison between eir's FTTC 90/20 to siro 350/70 not apples for apples but you'll see the comparisons anyway for anyone whos interested.

Eir Speedtest
    6489733910.png

Siro Speedtest
    6489715887.png

Ping Eir (boards.ie and bbc.co.uk)

Ping Siro (boards.ie and bbc.co.uk)

Eir Meter Test
    201729108188.png
    Siro Meter test
    201729108086.png

Changed to digiweb today after being with vodafone for 18 months who refused to upgrade to the 1 gig deal.

8030736679.png

ping times to boards and rte.ie have increased from 7ms to 17ms but the likes of google and bbc has remained the same. I seem to be routing through the uk to boards. Gaming pings are roughly the same if not a little better to the continent but ill have to keep and eye on that. Overall seamless transition bar the telephony but that's probably vodafone messing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Changed to digiweb today after being with vodafone for 18 months who refused to upgrade to the 1 gig deal.

Overall seamless transition bar the telephony but that's probably vodafone messing that up.

you are right re the telephone messup.
    Vodafone are still messing up my telephone since I moved last Sept.
    Just waiting for my contract to be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There's a history of blocking access to broadband in apartments in Ireland generally. It's something that needs to be sorted out by legislation.
    I don't know if there had been problems but one thing owner directors don't want to face are angry members at the AGM! Telling them that other developments had been left in a mess would put the frighteners on them. Of course, maybe the agents aren't enamoured of the idea of having to help manage installations for residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jd wrote: »
    I don't know if there had been problems but one thing owner directors don't want to face are angry members at the AGM! Telling them that other developments had been left in a mess would put the frighteners on them. Of course, maybe the agents aren't enamoured of the idea of having to help manage installations for residents.

Often the owner isn't the occupant which interrupts the OMC feedback loop as a landlord doesn't really care if the tenant is stuck with a crappy monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

SIRO have previously refused installations to houses with external insulation because of this.

That policy has been changed this month.

The way it works now is, that Actavo will arrive and survey the premise. If they can feed the cable in where other cables enter the premise, they will take that route.

If there is no way to bring the cable in without drilling, a location will be agreed with the customer, where the cable is brought in. The customer then will have to get that hole drilled themselves or get a contractor to do this.

Once the hole has been drilled, a new appointment can be scheduled to get the fibre connection installed.

This is the only way, SIRO will accommodate installing fibre into a house, that is externally insulated.

Hi , just to come back to that.
    We have ESB cable coming in from overhead and fibre could enter through same location.
    But all posts i have seen have a white box on outside and inside of the external wall. with ESB cable, this isn't really feasible..
    I could easily run VM coax though the same opening, as there is not termination box..
    Could the fibre be run into the house to an ONT on the inside? No idea how (in)flexible the fibre is...
    I don't want to order SIRO wait for weeks till installer surveys and tells me can't be done.. I might was well get VM..

TA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The white box outside is passive and has a connector inside it.

The reason they fit it, is so that they can service the loop to the DP without touching the cabling that goes inside.

The same as they can service the cabling inside without having to replace everything back to for example the pole.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Marlow wrote: »
    The white box outside is passive and has a connector inside it.

The reason they fit it, is so that they can service the loop to the DP without touching the cabling that goes inside.

The same as they can service the cabling inside without having to replace everything back to for example the pole.

/M

Thanks. It's just the claims they install alongside existing cables entering the house, I can't see the configuration working. Unless there are different boxes for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Evidence of some roll out work in Carrigtwohill today. Saw a TLI crew in Castleview with some duct/manhole covers open.

Separately in Midleton the Willowbank estate has the duct covers open for the past couple of weeks. Don’t know if this is Soto related or not.

Tonio wrote: »
    Evidence of some roll out work in Carrigtwohill today. Saw a TLI crew in Castleview with some duct/manhole covers open.

Separately in Midleton the Willowbank estate has the duct covers open for the past couple of weeks. Don’t know if this is Soto related or not.

You mean SIRO ?

TLI is one of the companies they use during the build. So it is possible that it was SIRO related.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Marlow wrote: »
    You mean SIRO ?

TLI is one of the companies they use during the build. So it is possible that it was SIRO related.

/M

Yes SIRO. Autocorrect changed it to Soto :mad:

Tonio wrote: »
    Yes SIRO. Autocorrect changed it to Soto :mad:

That is called "Vindictive Dictionary" (c) Marlow :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

They wont upgrade you unless to take a tv package, they offered to keep me on my package currently 60 a month for 50 for another 12 months, im switching to digiweb.

Sorry for the delay
    Sorry bit of cross posted from a another board.

But it was somewhat easy. I basically keep waffling about how I thought its a bit cheeky to remove the other packages and want to charge 90 per month.
    Made it very clear that was other options/providers and I was out of contact.
    Was on the 300Mbit package.

After getting transferred I dont know how many times (And telling the same story every time) and insisting I would just drop them like a hat but would prefer to stay with them as I was generally was very happy with the service. Nice but firm voice while joking with them a bit.

Got put through to the hard sell department (If you have ever tried to cancel sky you know what I am talking about.)

Was told that they could not match the offer and it was for new customers only.
    Said. Ok fine. Then I would like to cancel unless you can do a deal for me.

Ended up getting 6 months free and then 90 for the next 6 months for 1Gbit = cheaper than what I am paying now for 300 :)
    After the 12 months is up I'll do the same or just move to another provider.

Just play hardball and dont take any crap. Its very expensive for them to get new customers hence why they want to keep existing if all possible.
    Leaks for other telecoms company states that "It costs nearly 50 times less to keep an existing customer than to acquire a new one".

Key point is.
    1. Be out of the contract period.
    2. Don't be afraid to tell them you will leave. (Digiweb are doing similar offers atm)

Personally I would never go with Sky but that is just me. I don't like them and have a had a ton of issues with them in the past. AND DO READ the SMALL prints. Setup costs, reverts to €95 after 12 months etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

If the SIRO site states that it will be available "within 6 months" based on an Eircode search, it is reasonable to assume that the location is at least on their planned rollout? How reliable is site?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Apogee wrote: »
    If the SIRO site states that it will be available "within 6 months" based on an Eircode search, it is reasonable to assume that the location is at least on their planned rollout? How reliable is site?

I had that for a while and it got enabled for me in the last few weeks. I think it's either built commenced or build about to commence, open to correction but it ended well for me anyway.

Now to find a provider..

Apogee wrote: »

Generally .. quite reliable. Unless there are inheritent build issues getting your premise connected during the build.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Hello,
    Can anyone shed some light how to configure Mikrotik on Siro(Vodafone). The Gigabox just doesn't cut it for me and is very unstable.
    As I understand I need vlan 10 on my WAN port(eth1) and DHCP client on the vlan 10 interface. I've set this up but not getting IP address.
    Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

reklamos wrote: »
    Hello,
    Can anyone shed some light how to configure Mikrotik on Siro(Vodafone). The Gigabox just doesn't cut it for me and is very unstable.
    As I understand I need vlan 10 on my WAN port(eth1) and DHCP client on the vlan 10 interface. I've set this up but not getting IP address.
    Anything else I'm missing?

Vodafone does not do DHCP. You need to set up a PPPoE session (interface) on the Vlan10 interface. Username and password don't really matter.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

So....had rep from Vodafone on my doorstep this week. Tells me that Siros has the glass fibre at the footpath (which is true as KN Networks were here for a few weeks) and I can get 1GB if I go with them. They come into house via the ESB box.

without having to read 381 pages of this thread... is he kidding me for a quick sale????

Am with EIR am am getting 30MB download speeds on their efibre.

Should I jump ship??? What are the downfalls??

Masala wrote: »

What you have with Eir is VDSL ... they call it eFibre ... but it is a copper product.

What SIRO is ... is 100% fibre .. all the way into your home. You can check on SIROs website, which providers are available to you: https://siro.ie/

And yes .. it is a superior product.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

marno21 wrote: »
    I had that for a while and it got enabled for me in the last few weeks. I think it's either built commenced or build about to commence, open to correction but it ended well for me anyway.

Now to find a provider..

Im on the same message 6mo back in December, they started before September last year dredging some ground laying fiber cables, different companies, but then end of october went quiet, think they moved to different part of town, but something tells me it probably wont be until summer, as seems they started on more locations and havent seen any activity for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

So....had rep from Vodafone on my doorstep this week. Tells me that Siros has the glass fibre at the footpath (which is true as KN Networks were here for a few weeks) and I can get 1GB if I go with them. They come into house via the ESB box.

without having to read 381 pages of this thread... is he kidding me for a quick sale????

It is true that you may get up to 1gig , certainly more than 30 MB.
    I get an average of 500mb
    There are other suppliers of the same product.
    I am with Voda and, have had problems with the telephone side of things since last Sept. It is mentioned here that the voda router is not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    I am with Voda and, have had problems with the telephone side of things since last Sept. It is mentioned here that the voda router is not the best.

Many thanks.... so what would you recommend I do. SIRO say that they work with SKY as well....would that be a better supplier for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Many thanks.... so what would you recommend I do. SIRO say that they work with SKY as well....would that be a better supplier for me??

Check your eircode on the SIRO website. It will tell which companies supply you. As for Sky I understand they charge an installation/activation fee where as most of the others do not. So have a look at other companies like Airwire or Digiweb as alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

yrreg0850 wrote: »

Just noticed you mention you are getting an average of 500mb and I presuming it's wired and not Wi-Fi connection. If you are on 1GB package you should be getting much higher than that (wired from modem to PC), as there is supposed to be no contention like there is with eFibre. So get your connection checked if this is the case. If it is over Wi-Fi however those speeds are very good, as the average is between 230 to 300mb depending on router.

• Advertisement

cunnijo wrote: »
    Just noticed you mention you are getting an average of 500mb

The issue here is, that a lot of PCs might not be up to the task to even test higher speeds. So just asking about wifi and the likes is not enough.

To find the actual max speed that your computer can test at, you need to specify:

- specification of computer (CPU, harddisk type (SSD or normal), operating system)
    - browser used (there are massive differences between for example Chrome and Firefox)
    - is the computer wired ?
    - service used to speedtest
    - location of the server of said speedtest service tested against
    - and was it ensured, that no other usage was on the line during the test ?

Without answering the questions above, any odd speedtest is just vague.

/M

Advertisement