Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

cunnijo wrote: »
    Just noticed you mention you are getting an average of 500mb and I presuming it's wired and not Wi-Fi connection. If you are on 1GB package you should be getting much higher than that (wired from modem to PC), as there is supposed to be no contention like there is with eFibre. So get your connection checked if this is the case. If it is over Wi-Fi however those speeds are very good, as the average is between 230 to 300mb depending on router.

I say averge of 500 mb because I use both wired and wifi connections.
    While I get greater than 500 direct, the wifi can be in the 200/300 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    I say averge of 500 mb because I use both wired and wifi connections.
    While I get greater than 500 direct, the wifi can be in the 200/300 range.
    300mb range is most likely due to network card, same on pc whatever your wireless network card is capable that's max speed you will get.

as wireless will often be weaker due to interferences and distance.

Also many often confuse speed with size, as 1gb doesn't mean you'll get 1gigabite file in under a second. In perfect scenario it would be more like 125mb/s

as often times its usually other end and route taken traffic priority that dictates speeds when downloading files, thus really hard to get actual close constant speeds across various services.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A lot of words to add nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ED E wrote: »
    A lot of words to add nothing.
    me ? no i gave explanation why speed isnt what you get, as i dont have fiber yet, know someone who does and yes it maxes out at 300 on mobile but thats due to NIC not provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

I’m having serious connection issues with the new Gigabox from Vodafone. WiFi is dropping out all the time. Never had an issue with the Huawai router. Anyone else having problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

kaltz wrote: »
    I’m having serious connection issues with the new Gigabox from Vodafone. WiFi is dropping out all the time. Never had an issue with the Huawai router. Anyone else having problems?

Holy ****..... would be interested in this as well!! Am only thinking of moving to Vodafone so at to get better speeds. But these problems on their router is very very worrying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can u pick up a fritz box and put it on VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

I still have the Huawai router (on a 1Gbit connection) and are running a pair of ORBI wifi routers behind it (which totally eliminates any wifi issues that the normal crappy boxes all the providers hand out), so I cant really comment.

Do you have brand and model number for the gigabox?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

TheDriver wrote: »
    Can u pick up a fritz box and put it on VF?

Yes, there are no problems with using the Fritz!Box even on Vodafone SIRO connections.

We also sell these, if you don't have broadband from us. A shipping fee would come on top of the stated pricing on our website.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've had no problems with the connection in the 2 months since I had Siro installed.

• Advertisement

Likewise here . I also have problems on the telephone side and, have gone as far as getting a ref number from comreg. Just waiting for one final test before I get back to comreg.

Yes, there are no problems with using the Fritz!Box even on Vodafone SIRO connections.

We also sell these, if you don't have broadband from us. A shipping fee would come on top of the stated pricing on our website.

Will the Fritzbox work with the voip side of the vodafone SIRO also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    Will the Fritzbox work with the voip side of the vodafone SIRO also.

Unlikely. I have not heard of anybody getting the credentials from Vodafone to use 3rd party routers or devices for VoIP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

SnipSnop wrote: »
    I still have the Huawai router (on a 1Gbit connection) and are running a pair of ORBI wifi routers behind it (which totally eliminates any wifi issues that the normal crappy boxes all the providers hand out), so I cant really comment.

Do you have brand and model number for the gigabox?

The model is SHG3000. I've changed the channel settings and it seems to have settled. The range is terrible compared to the old Huawai router. Upstairs and an iphone7 is only getting 5m down.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

hi All

Prospective Siro customer here.
    Any main difference between the providers , vodafone/ sky/ airwire/ digiweb are the options?

I would like to choose the entry point for the router in my house - is this possible ?
    I have Cat 5 built into 3 rooms so would like the router near one of these points.

Also can the router that is given be replaced by a mesh wifi system ?
    was looking at something like the below to put some around the house .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-MW6-AC1200-Whole-System/dp/B076VPYT36?pd_rd_w=mzNBs&pf_rd_p=413faf57-17eb-470a-a03e-237324f2f39f&pf_rd_r=NVGH49QNXYE1DD4FSN96&pd_rd_r=72b54df0-005d-48b8-a515-e1358cf18dfd&pd_rd_wg=LkJur&ref_=pd_gw_cartx

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

carq wrote: »
    hi All

Any main difference between the providers , vodafone/ sky/ airwire/ digiweb are the options?

I would like to choose the entry point for the router in my house - is this possible ?
    I have Cat 5 built into 3 rooms so would like the router near one of these points.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-MW6-AC1200-Whole-System/dp/B076VPYT36?pd_rd_w=mzNBs&pf_rd_p=413faf57-17eb-470a-a03e-237324f2f39f&pf_rd_r=NVGH49QNXYE1DD4FSN96&pd_rd_r=72b54df0-005d-48b8-a515-e1358cf18dfd&pd_rd_wg=LkJur&ref_=pd_gw_cartx

Firstly most of the installers should be able to accommodate you as to where you want to install your setup. As for the ISP's they are mostly the same as they use the same infrastructure. Just their offers vary.

As for a router with a mesh WiFi system Digiweb and Airwire supply one as part of their installation (Fritzbox) Vodafone & Sky I am not sure about.

cunnijo wrote: »
    As for the ISP's they are mostly the same as they use the same infrastructure.

No they don't.

SIRO is only the last mile inside the city/town. The ISP builds their own network to meet SIRO ... in EACH town/city. That's the reason not all providers are available in all of the towns and cities covered.

So the quality, contention, service, support etc. very much can vary from provider to provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

carq wrote: »
    hi All

I went with Airwire as its great to dealing with the owner of the company that has your best interests at heart rather than dealing with some call centre that don't know what they are talking about and have no skin in the game.
    Great customer service in my experience.
    Also it is relatively easy to run CAT5e/6 in your home. The guys that did the install for me did a bit of drilling, but i was ready with the cabling so they didnt have to do anything else.
    the router doesnt nee to be in the same place as where the ONT comes in, you just need to have an ethernet cable run from there to where you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Actavo are currently installing SIRO in my estate in Athy Co. Kildare and i was told it will be live by the end of April but Athy is not mentioned on SIRO.ie in either planned or coming soon sections. Does anyone know if the website is updated regularly or was i given an overly optimistic live date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ffocused wrote: »
    Actavo are currently installing SIRO in my estate in Athy Co. Kildare and i was told it will be live by the end of April but Athy is not mentioned on SIRO.ie in either planned or coming soon sections. Does anyone know if the website is updated regularly or was i given an overly optimistic live date?
    Maybe it's virgin media, anything on their site? Actavo are doing a lot of groundwork for them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Virgin Media are finished and went live last month. It is definitely SIRO as I asked one of them and their signs also say SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ffocused wrote: »
    Virgin Media are finished and went live last month. It is definitely SIRO as I asked one of them and their signs also say SIRO.

Very good, nice bargaining chip for discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Marlow wrote: »
    You mean SIRO ?

TLI is one of the companies they use during the build. So it is possible that it was SIRO related.

/M

Saw TLI (on behalf of Siro) van working at manhole in Carrigtwohill this evening. So it certainly seems like Siro are rolling out Midleton and Carrigtwohill in the coming months.

Even if both are still just 'planned' on Siro website.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

I checked some Carrig addresses last week (castle view and cul Ard) and it says available within 6 months. Midleton still says not available - I checked willowbank addresses where I know TLI have been working. Good to see progress being made all the same😀

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Tonio wrote: »
    I checked some Carrig addresses last week (castle view and cul Ard) and it says available within 6 months. Midleton still says not available - I checked willowbank addresses where I know TLI have been working. Good to see progress being made all the same��

Yeah, looks like Siro will get to Midleton and Carrigtwohill with FTTH before Eir does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Any Feb update for database? My part of town was completed last Oct with an expected date of end Nov. Still getting 6 month message. Its a lot of investment sitting idle when all work had completed.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Carrickmines, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

This months update adds premises to Athlone and Limerick.

It can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

All the estates either side of me have Siro installed. Very disappointed that our estate has missed out. Apparently ours was by-passed as the ESB mini-pillars don't have manholes in front of them so its a complicated install. I wonder will there be any change to this or has anybody experienced similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

hi

I have SIRO installed in the corner of my house but practically no signal upstairs.
    If i buy a mesh wifi router will it work or do i need to get router settings from Vodafone ( Some reports say they will not release these )?

Thinking of calling them to move the router location to a more central place

• Advertisement

Vodafone don't need to release those settings. You can enter any username/password in reality.

But your phone will stop working, if you have their phone service.

/M

Advertisement