Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Same as it has last 3 months. Congrats you'll be getting SIRO in the next 6 months.

Did you get connected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Folks anyones Siro ever slow down to ~ 100mb after power was turned off? I had the power off yesterday to do some work on the house and when i check download speed on my pc afterwards it was only around 100mb. I have rebooted fritzbox, google wifi and pc multiple times but cant for the life of me get it to return to full speed. Even if i connect laptop directly to fritzbox with wifi off it still goes around 100mb max (so its not a pc issue). I can tell from download logs that it was full speed before i turned power off.

The pc is used as a server and has been on for months without power being turned off. But the last time it was off a few months I had the same type issue and i think i had fritzbox restarted aswell (as i was looking to relocate them) and somehow rebooting fritzbox etc got it back to normal speed but not sure what exactly fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Folks anyones Siro ever slow down to ~ 100mb after power was turned off? I had the power off yesterday to do some work on the house and when i check download speed on my pc afterwards it was only around 100mb. I have rebooted fritzbox, google wifi and pc multiple times but cant for the life of me get it to return to full speed. Even if i connect laptop directly to fritzbox with wifi off it still goes around 100mb max (so its not a pc issue). I can tell from download logs that it was full speed before i turned power off.

The pc is used as a server and has been on for months without power being turned off. But the last time it was off a few months I had the same type issue and i think i had fritzbox restarted aswell (as i was looking to relocate them) and somehow rebooting fritzbox etc got it back to normal speed but not sure what exactly fixed it.

Does the Fritzbox report the Ethernet link status anywhere in it's menu? It could be that the link between the ONT and Fritzbox WAN is running at 100Mb. If it is have you tried turning off and back on the ONT. There should be a push button power switch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Thanks, no luck with powering it off and on. Frtitzbox seems to be set for 1000mb trying some of the suggestions on this site but still downloading at ~100mb.

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-4040/knowledge-base/publication/show/45_Internet-access-over-the-FRITZ-Box-is-slow/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Does the Fritzbox report the Ethernet link status anywhere in it's menu? It could be that the link between the ONT and Fritzbox WAN is running at 100Mb. If it is have you tried turning off and back on the ONT. There should be a push button power switch on it.

The Fritz!Box does report lan speed on the lan ports. Unfortunately not on the WAN ports.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So .... I had to move house ... landlord decided to put the place for sale I lived in ... me being 5 months into a lease ..

Got the order in on the 19th ... 9 days before moving in .. pre-prep team failed .... duct going to nowhere.

2 Actavo lads around here today sounding out the cabling. Turns out, this house was originally serviced by a pole .. before the neighboring estate was build. Then ... a new minipillar was installed and all went underground. Ducting goes out from the house to where the pole used to be . another duct from the minipillar to the same point ... however .. powercables etc., all directly buried, ducts not properly joined, cables going off in 4 directions ... all a mess.

Well .. those 2 lads didn't give up. 2 hours of shovels in the ground, digging, poking, etc., 2 cobras (one from the mini-pillar and one from the house) ... I have 20m of fibre coiled up in my ESB meter box. Give it a few days ... and I should have a connection :)

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

The SIRO works were done in my estate a couple of months ago and as of yesterday it's available to my eircode from Vodafone and Sky, however this doesn't show up on either of their websites. Is this just a timing thing? Surely they all use the same source for this info?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

MarioLuigi wrote: »
    The SIRO works were done in my estate a couple of months ago and as of yesterday it's available to my eircode from Vodafone and Sky, however this doesn't show up on either of their websites. Is this just a timing thing? Surely they all use the same source for this info?

Yes and no. SIRO distributes the data to each provider at the end of every month. Sometimes twice in a month, if a lot of premises were passed.

How quick each provider implements these data into their own website can differ a lot. The providers do not interface directly with SIROs website.

SIRO have provided us with additional data of premises, that they plan to have enabled before the end of the month.

Those data have been integrated in our database on our availability checker today. If you check a premise, that is planned, it will tell you this.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Carrickmines, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

SIRO have provided us with additional data of premises, that they plan to have enabled before the end of the month.

Those data have been integrated in our database on our availability checker today. If you check a premise, that is planned, it will tell you this.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Carrickmines, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon and Sligo.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

The green SIRO logo on the Airwire checker had me smiling in expectation for a few seconds as I thought it was a "Good to go" indication...

Until I read that it's still "not available at this premises"

The waiting goes on, TLI have cabled the entrance to my estate and installed new manhole covers in front of a couple of mini pillars but still no sign of any further penetration into the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Nollog

carq wrote: »
    hi

I have SIRO installed in the corner of my house but practically no signal upstairs.
    If i buy a mesh wifi router will it work or do i need to get router settings from Vodafone ( Some reports say they will not release these )?

Thinking of calling them to move the router location to a more central place

The login for siro on vodafone is the serialnumber of your current router @vfieftth.ie and broadband as password, there's a thread around here with more details, there might be another step or two because of vodfone tv and phone stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Marlow wrote: »
    So .... I had to move house ... landlord decided to put the place for sale I lived in ... me being 5 months into a lease ..

Got the order in on the 19th ... 9 days before moving in .. pre-prep team failed .... duct going to nowhere.

2 Actavo lads around here today sounding out the cabling. Turns out, this house was originally serviced by a pole .. before the neighboring estate was build. Then ... a new minipillar was installed and all went underground. Ducting goes out from the house to where the pole used to be . another duct from the minipillar to the same point ... however .. powercables etc., all directly buried, ducts not properly joined, cables going off in 4 directions ... all a mess.

Well .. those 2 lads didn't give up. 2 hours of shovels in the ground, digging, poking, etc., 2 cobras (one from the mini-pillar and one from the house) ... I have 20m of fibre coiled up in my ESB meter box. Give it a few days ... and I should have a connection :)

/M

I have also found Actavo very efficient and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stixoasis

hi,
    i am getting siro broadband through vodafone installed next week
    can you choose which room they put the vodafone router in??

my main hub is upstairs where all my cat6 cables run too, ideally i would like the router to go in there
    all my room have ethernet ports which runs upstairs,can i run an ehernet cable from the vodafone router through the port in the wall to upstairs and then use a switch to send it to all other rooms?

if so, can someone recommend a decent 16 port gigabit switch please

stixoasis wrote: »
    hi,

my main hub is upstairs where all my cat6 cables run too, ideally i would like the router to go in there
    all my room have ethernet ports which runs upstairs,can i run an ehernet cable from the vodafone router through the port in the wall to upstairs and then use a switch to send it to all other rooms?

That would be up to the installer. Some may be more accommodating than others.

You can connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the router to one of your wall ports. Add in a switch upstairs and all other ports should have internet access.

I have used this 16 port switch with no issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1016D-16-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B003UWRYBI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1552078882&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnboy316

Hi all,

Moved into a new house a couple of months where my mine and other houses on one half of the road are unable to order SIRO broadband as our addresses weren't received on the GEO directory file that they received this quarter.

The thing is the other half of the road, where their houses are finished about a year, are able to get SIRO broadband.

Workers have laid cables etc on the whole road and have said it's all finished, live and ready to order (which is confirmed seeing the other half of the road can order it)

Has anyone experienced a similar problem where they were able to get SIRO broadband installed?

Cheers

SIRO does provide us providers with the premise IDs to houses, that they don't have Eircodes for and we can order these premises.

In Airwire, we've got maps, that we can work of, to identify these premises. I'm unsure, how good other SIRO partners are at accessing these.

But be assured, there is NO PROBLEM on SIROs side to order a SIRO connection to a place, that has no Eircode or where the Geo directory data has not made it into the provisioning system.

hi,

Thanks for reply

So for getting decent WiFi downstairs, what would you recommend?
    Not sure of the difference between an WiFi extender and access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for reply

So for getting decent WiFi downstairs, what would you recommend?
    Not sure of the difference between an WiFi extender and access point

An extender works by repeating the WIFI signal and an Access point makes its own new signal.

An access point works much better but needs to have a cable coming to it from the router or from a switch connected to the router.

An extender is not as reliable and should only be used in places you can't get a cable to.

tuxy wrote: »
    An extender works by repeating the WIFI signal and an Access point makes its own new signal.

An access point works much better but need to have a able coming to it from the router or from a switch connected to the router.

An extender is not as reliable and should be only used in places you can't get a cable to.

OK an access point it is then
    Any recommendations?

My usual advice is get something inexpensive on Amazon, this will work fine for most homes.
    If you are not happy with it just repack it and send it back. Amazon accept returns with no questions asked.

If you're not happy get one of the more expensive ones from Ubiquiti
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1552082713&sr=1-8&keywords=wireless+access+point
    That's what I have, get device but it's overkill for most people.

• Advertisement

Also I forgot to say, you may even have an old wifi router that can be used as an access point by disabling routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

All the estates either side of me have Siro installed. Very disappointed that our estate has missed out. Apparently ours was by-passed as the ESB mini-pillars don't have manholes in front of them so its a complicated install. I wonder will there be any change to this or has anybody experienced similar?

Same in my area. When I read your comment yesterday, I checked to see if there are manholes outside the pillars in my estate and my sister's estate - there are none. For the past few months, my sister's house said: "Available in the next 6 months". Today, it now says: "SIRO is not available ...". My brother's house, however, can now get SIRO. His house was updated on the SIRO website at the same time as my sister's. Fortunately for them, they can get Virgin Media.

From memory and a bit of assistance from Geohive, it looks like housing estates built post-2003/2004-ish have manholes. After inputting some Eircodes just there, they're skipping over the older estates and added a new batch of housing estates there were built in the last 15 years.

Unless it's possible to install manholes outside of existing pillars in older housing estates, I'm not getting my hopes up.

SIRO does provide us providers with the premise IDs to houses, that they don't have Eircodes for and we can order these premises.

In Airwire, we've got maps, that we can work of, to identify these premises. I'm unsure, how good other SIRO partners are at accessing these.

But be assured, there is NO PROBLEM on SIROs side to order a SIRO connection to a place, that has no Eircode or where the Geo directory data has not made it into the provisioning system.

Hi Martin,

Really appreciate the response. Unfortunately yourselves don't cover the area I'm in and I'm not getting much joy with Vodafone or Sky but it's good to know it can be done.

Thanks again

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Really appreciate the response. Unfortunately yourselves don't cover the area I'm in and I'm not getting much joy with Vodafone or Sky but it's good to know it can be done.

Best bet: contact SIRO directly and ask them, if they can provide you with the PM-id for your premise. Once you have that, pursue a sales guy to push the order through that way.

Best bet: contact SIRO directly and ask them, if they can provide you with the PM-id for your premise. Once you have that, pursue a sales guy to push the order through that way.

Sound job, thanks for the info

tuxy wrote: »
    Also I forgot to say, you may even have an old wifi router that can be used as an access point by disabling routing.

I have an old edimax router, I will check that out thanks, one more question for you, I have 1 Ethernet port in every room, but in some rooms I need multiple connections, what do I need for this?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

KN and TFS (I think?) were in our estate in Donegal Town the past few days working on SIRO. They're busy working on many areas around the town at the moment. Green ducts popping out of the ground in various locations :)

I certainly look forward (or hope) that I can have FTTH by year end...

I have an old edimax router, I will check that out thanks, one more question for you, I have 1 Ethernet port in every room, but in some rooms I need multiple connections, what do I need for this?

Another switch with as many ports as you need connections +1 (for the wall port).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Digging up the whole area so hopefully Siro will be up and running shortly.
    Waiting to tell Virgin to get stuffed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I've seen Siro working in my estate the last few weeks. I've also got an email from Siro saying:

"SIRO ultrafast 100% fibre broadband is coming to the rescue in the coming months"

When I check the Website for my Eircode, I see 'in the next 6 months'.

How soon should I expect availability?

Advertisement