Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

Really appreciate the response. Unfortunately yourselves don't cover the area I'm in and I'm not getting much joy with Vodafone or Sky but it's good to know it can be done.

Thanks again

Hi Johnboy316, happy to take a look also if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Siro were out in Greystones over the weekend running fibre along the electricity wires on Rathdown and Church Roads.

Surprising as they haven't announced the start of the build here yet (I did have a Vodafone guy at my door a few weeks back who said they were underway but I assumed this was just sales talk).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

After 10 days in 4G hell (sub 2 Mbit/s), I have real internet again.

8104818475.png

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Marlow wrote: »

8104818475.png

/M

Speeds of dreams right there ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

8104818475.png

/M

That’s some service on the upload whatever about the download!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

8104818475.png

/M

Is that on GPON or XGS-PON? What would be the monthly cost (roughly!) of such a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

giggsirish wrote: »

You could argue that 1Gbps asymmetric Internet will satisfy even the most bandwidth-hungry households - not talking about businesses - for atleast the next Decade, if not even longer.

Will your typical 4/5 person household ever need more than that?

Even 8k TV streaming wouldn't go near to maxing it out - approx 80Mbps to 100Mbps - and that is probably a decade in the future anyway.

Times are good.

giggsirish wrote: »

Business package. Costs quite a bit more than the normal one, too.

/M

Is that on GPON or XGS-PON? What would be the monthly cost (roughly!) of such a connection?

Retail .. 495 ex vat/month. But that includes Premium SLA. And it is GPON still .. but you get a different NTU (19" rackmount) and a completely different setup to the normal ones. Also, they will probably move these to XGS-PON first, when they roll that out.

Premium SLA Meaning: fault localisation commenced within 1 hour, guaranteed service restoration within 16 working hours (generally within 8 working hours), guaranteed uptime 99.95%

The SIRO partners can customize these from 100 to 1000 Mbit/s symmetric and even add an uncontended portion to it.

I need it for work, so I don't have to worry about the cost.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnboy316

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy316, happy to take a look also if you like.

Cheers for the message but unfortunately yourselves don't cover my area either... I'm stuck with Vodafone and Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

Vodafone does not do DHCP. You need to set up a PPPoE session (interface) on the Vlan10 interface. Username and password don't really matter.

/M

Hey,

Any idea how to actually get Mikrotik working with it? I cant for the life of me get the PPPoE client to connect.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dg92 wrote: »
    Hey,

Any idea how to actually get Mikrotik working with it? I cant for the life of me get the PPPoE client to connect.

Create a VLAN with id 10 on the Ethernet port that's connected to the ONT, then set up a PPPoE client on the VLAN interface.
    /interface vlan
    add interface=ether1 vlan-id=10 name=vlan-ftth
    /interface pppoe-client
    add interface=vlan-ftth user=<username> password=<password> \
        add-default-route=yes use-peer-dns=yes disabled=no

Make sure your firewall rules refer to pppoe-out1 instead of ether1 as the WAN interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Create a VLAN with id 10 on the Ethernet port that's connected to the ONT, then set up a PPPoE client on the VLAN interface.
    /interface vlan
    add interface=ether1 vlan-id=10 name=vlan-ftth
    /interface pppoe-client
    add interface=vlan-ftth user=<username> password=<password> \
        add-default-route=yes use-peer-dns=yes disabled=no

Make sure your firewall rules refer to pppoe-out1 instead of ether1 as the WAN interface.

Lifesaver.. thank you so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

90642 FTTH connections at the end of Q4 2018 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. As with Q3 it seems the SIRO promotion is leading to increased take up.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2018/

We've also overtaken Croatia and Germany in the latest FTTH Council rankings!

ftth_european_country_ranking_2019_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bit of a strange query.
    I know that the majority of SIRO install works are undertaken by Subbies.
    But...
    Does anyone know if ESB Networks are surveying mini pillars and ducts prior to works?
    Had a Van spend a few hours on my avenue on Wednesday with the occupants checking pillars and walking duct routes.
    Just struck me as a bit odd.

Esb does not. But Siro has pre-installation crews doing work prior to actual installation sometimes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Irishder wrote: »
    When is it planned for Waterford?
    Waterford looking like the end of this year

With end of year already gone any idea how soon we might see it here?

Stokolan wrote: »
    With end of year already gone any idea how soon we might see it here?

We should see the first homes come online in Waterford end of May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on a area? As I saw a couple of Actavo vans around my estate with siro on the side of them.

So I am hoping it might be here soon.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Any idea on a area? As I saw a couple of Actavo vans around my estate with siro on the side of them.

So I am hoping it might be here soon.

Hi, send us a PM with your Eircode and we'll see what we can find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

any idea of the timetable for Greystones? The build seems to have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

loyatemu wrote: »
    any idea of the timetable for Greystones? The build seems to have started.

Yeah, saw them all over the harbour area this morning. They have wires in loops all down Church Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi, send us a PM with your Eircode and we'll see what we can find out.

Any chance you could take a look and see what you can find out regarding FTTH timescale for an existing customer?

banie01 wrote: »
    Any chance you could take a look and see what you can find out regarding FTTH timescale for an existing customer?

Sure, send us a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

SIRO will be laying cable in and around Tradaree Court in Shannon in the next few weeks. Getting permission from householders at the moment for installing various bits of equipment. Great to hear they haven't just done a bit and moved out of Shannon with half the town to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I see Siro claim to be live in Cork city on their website but not for the two city centre addresses I checked (one South side, one North side). Is they any info on what areas (if any) actually have service availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redmond08

Any word when Wicklow Town/Rathnew will get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Coming to Charleville later this year. Can't wait even though I already have 60meg but damnit..1000mb sounds way better :D

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sligo and South Dublin.

This month:
    - nearly 900 premises in Dublin added. The area between Sandyford and Stepaside (namely Aikens Village and Belarmine) was enabled.
    - Ennis has seen a little over 100 premises added, a few of those in Clarecastle.
    - A little over 50 premises in Shannon were added.
    - Limerick sees a good few over 100 premises added also.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Siro for business - any sign of any business level packages coming on stream for siro - our town (donegal town) has just had trunking put down for Siro which runs past our office, so want to investigate the options. Quality of service been the most important as we spend most of our day logging into customer sites.

Advertisement