Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There are numerous business options possible on SIRO. It depends what the SIRO provider offers.

SIRO Lightpulse is a SOHO product with 250 Mbit/s download and 50 Mbit/s upload. It comes with Premium SLA (repairs on faults are to be done within 10 hours).

Also SIRO has the LightBurst and LightFlame product range, which are symmetric connections from 100 Mbit/s up to 1000 Mbit/s and can be combined with a portion of AF/EF (Assured Forwarding/Expedited Forwarding) and Premium SLA.

These product names are what SIRO calls them. Each provider has a different name for them. They are usually build to order. So you would need to engage with the SIRO operators covering your area and see, what they can offer.

We offer the LightBurst range in 100, 200, 500 and 1000 Mbit/s symmetric, Premium SLA included. Pricing from 161.70 EUR to 495 EUR/month excl. VAT. AF/EF options then add to the base pricing. These products compare to the likes of NGN circuits from OpenEIR or other networks.

Unfortunately we don't cover the Donegal interconnect yet, so we can not offer you services on SIRO up there. But it gives you an idea of what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    I see Siro claim to be live in Cork city on their website but not for the two city centre addresses I checked (one South side, one North side). Is they any info on what areas (if any) actually have service availability?

To answer my own question I had the letter from Siro in my letter box! This is just off Shandon St so great to see movement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

opus wrote: »
    To answer my own question I had the letter from Siro in my letter box! This is just off Shandon St so great to see movement there.

That's because they need a consent form from the owners of buildings wherever they roll out their surface-retractable solution. One thing about SIRO: they have their paperwork in order for their builds. No shortcuts have been taken.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Possibly been answered before but any idea of timeline from area being surveyed and service going live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Would anyone know if these old settings below for using your own router still apply when swapping a gigabox router?

Username = serial number@vfieftth.ie
    Password = either "broadband" or "vodafone"
    vlan = 10

Is that all I need to use my own?

• Advertisement

Italix wrote: »
    Would anyone know if these old settings below for using your own router still apply when swapping a gigabox router?

Username = serial number@vfieftth.ie
    Password = either "broadband" or "vodafone"
    vlan = 10

Is that all I need to use my own?

Yep ... they actually don't really care about username and password, so it could be pretty much anything.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I swapped a gigabox router . The Broadband was OK but, I had to contact vodafone to re connect the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

With SIRO, we only get firm dates a few months in advance, as they are keeping a fairly fluent build schedule up to the point, that all contracts and licenses are signed.

Galway is such an example. It was planned for Q4/2018, but the build is only just about to start this quarter.

If you have subscribed to news with SIRO, they will update you at the point, when the build gets underway. We also post here, when we start getting information on new builds.

I see activity in Galway city east that I assume is part of the SIRO roll out, guys working at night and SIRO van present.
    What kind of timeframe is involved until SIRO bb is available in the area?

I see activity in Galway city east that I assume is part of the SIRO roll out, guys working at night and SIRO van present.

We expect the first premises to be live some time May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

We expect the first premises to be live some time May/June.

Thanks, is it possible to find out if a specific address will be live then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting it any time sson. They laid the fibre in our estate last September and we're still waiting.

Thanks, is it possible to find out if a specific address will be live then?

You can contact us, once we have announced, that we're live for Galway. We can then see, if they have a planned date.
    Panrich wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold your breath on getting it any time sson. They laid the fibre in our estate last September and we're still waiting.

This is where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

You can contact us, once we have announced, that we're live for Galway. We can then see, if they have a planned date.

This is where ?

Trim

Panrich wrote: »
    Trim

Trim has not been announced yet either. There can be various reasons for that.

Just because the fibre is in the ground in your estate does not mean, that their interconnect container has been established. Or in the case of Trim, there needs fibres ran back to Navan, because that is where everything is fed to the partners.

So until an official launch date has been announced, the build is not ready as a whole. We're not present on the Navan interconnect, so I can not give you any information on that.

For Galway I can, because we are involved in that rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Navan still not live either. Quite frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Trim has not been announced yet either. There can be various reasons for that.

Just because the fibre is in the ground in your estate does not mean, that their interconnect container has been established. Or in the case of Trim, there needs fibres ran back to Navan, because that is where everything is fed to the partners.

So until an official launch date has been announced, the build is not ready as a whole. We're not present on the Navan interconnect, so I can not give you any information on that.

For Galway I can, because we are involved in that rollout.
    Do you have any info on the Ballintubbert, Laois area? Recently all the black boxes on poles and works going on are taking place for ftth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

E46Dream wrote: »
    Do you have any info on the Ballintubbert, Laois area? Recently all the black boxes on poles and works going on are taking place for ftth.

Any of that work you see won't be SIRO as they only cover urban areas right now. Openeir are currently rolling out to 300,000 rural homes

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

tuxy wrote: »
    Any of that work you see won't be SIRO as they only cover urban areas right now. Openeir are currently rolling out to 300,000 rural homes

Oh gotcha! My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No worries, this is the thread for openeir rural FTTH

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133&page=547

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A question for those of you with SIRO. Is it worth it over VDSL? A relative asked the q and they get 80Mb I think with no issues but I don't know what to say to them. Yes its faster but would they actually notice anything? REgular household, netflix, youtube etc.
    They have a good legacy price on VDSL hence would be paying more for SIRO

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    A question for those of you with SIRO. Is it worth it over VDSL? A relative asked the q and they get 80Mb I think with no issues but I don't know what to say to them. Yes its faster but would they actually notice anything? REgular household, netflix, youtube etc.
    They have a good legacy price on VDSL hence would be paying more for SIRO

If his connection is solid and he is happy, then there is no need to change.

I find, that VDSL can be troublesome though. Sync rates dropping, even the OpenEIR DSLAMs regularly drop the connnection .. at least once a week.

But if he ever wants more speed, then SIRO is the next step.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Marlow wrote: »
    If his connection is solid and he is happy, then there is no need to change.

I find, that VDSL can be troublesome though. Sync rates dropping, even the OpenEIR DSLAMs regularly drop the connnection .. at least once a week.

But if he ever wants more speed, then SIRO is the next step.

/M

Thanks Marlow. I checked his connection and he gets ping of 17-18ms consistently and solid speed of 80Mb so no point paying more just to get fancier tech. Interestingly some of his neighbours are moving because they like the idea of VF TV yet for some reason, none of them thought about getting it under VDSL.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thanks Marlow. I checked his connection and he gets ping of 17-18ms consistently and solid speed of 80Mb so no point paying more just to get fancier tech. Interestingly some of his neighbours are moving because they like the idea of VF TV yet for some reason, none of them thought about getting it under VDSL.

VF TV really eats into your bandwidth. I've seen connections where you're like left with 40-60 Mbit/s of a full 100 Mbit/s, once you use their TV system. At least with FTTH, there's oodles of headroom.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You get cut twice for OpenEir based IPTV:
    1 - Stable profile. So a 70Mb link can become 40Mb depending on US
    2 - QOS reservations for streams, three HD boxes are 3x8mb. So your 70 is then 40 - 24 => 16Mb. Decimated.

If you want an OTT tv product FTTH makes a lot more sense, for BB only good VDSL lines are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Killer_Paul

ED E wrote: »
    You get cut twice for OpenEir based IPTV:
    1 - Stable profile. So a 70Mb link can become 40Mb depending on US
    2 - QOS reservations for streams, three HD boxes are 3x8mb. So your 70 is then 40 - 24 => 16Mb. Decimated.

If you want an OTT tv product FTTH makes a lot more sense, for BB only good VDSL lines are fine.

I just cancelled my eir vision TV for this reason alone, never watched it anyway and now I'm saving €15 a month and my line is at its max speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mean mr mustard

Vicxas wrote: »

Navan is live for SIRO, with both Vodafone and SKY, and possibly others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Vicxas wrote: »

A lot of locations in navan siro is live
    I'm live in Navan I had siro installed December 2018
    Siro in Navan you can get from
    Vodafone and Digiweb and Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adidos

Anyone in Dundalk having connection issues? Am with Digiweb, the internet lights is not turning on and the LOS light is flashing red. Was working fine yesterday around noon suddenly the wifis down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

adidos wrote: »
    Anyone in Dundalk having connection issues? Am with Digiweb, the internet lights is not turning on and the LOS light is flashing red. Was working fine yesterday around noon suddenly the wifis down

Flashing LOS with PON light off means the received optical power is too low so likely a bad connection or break in the cable. You'll need a technician visit which probably won't be until at least Wednesday due to the bank holiday.

• Advertisement

adidos wrote: »
    Flashing LOS with PON light off means the received optical power is too low so likely a bad connection or break in the cable. You'll need a technician visit which probably won't be until at least Wednesday due to the bank holiday.

As Averi Cool Midget points out, that's an issue with your optical signal. It can be the cable coming into your house, the DP or elsewhere.

Get onto Digiweb as soon as you can. SIRO are extremely good at getting these issue sorted quickly. Some times even on the same day.

/M

Advertisement