Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adidos

Flashing LOS with PON light off means the received optical power is too low so likely a bad connection or break in the cable. You'll need a technician visit which probably won't be until at least Wednesday due to the bank holiday.
    Marlow wrote:
    As Averi Cool Midget points out, that's an issue with your optical signal. It can be the cable coming into your house, the DP or elsewhere.

Get onto Digiweb as soon as you can. SIRO are extremely good at getting these issue sorted quickly. Some times even on the same day.

/M
    Thanks, I suppose the next step is to contact Digiweb then. Their technical support is closed today and tomorrow is a bank holiday, so I suppose the earliest I can contact them is probably Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

paulboland wrote: »
    A lot of locations in navan siro is live
    I'm live in Navan I had siro installed December 2018
    Siro in Navan you can get from
    Vodafone and Digiweb and Sky

Huh, seems like my area isnt live yet....

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Vicxas wrote: »
    Huh, seems like my area isnt live yet....

SIRO builds their rollout in stages.

Athlone for example started around November/December 2017, the providers came online in end January 2018/start February 2018 and then premises have been added in clusters of 1000-2000 per month since then, bringing it to approx 7600 of the 8000 planned premises today.

That is going to be the same in other places. The updated rollout is usually published at the end of the month, so it is worth rechecking at the start of every month.

In regards to Galway: TLI are currently building SIROs chambers in Ballybaan, which is a milestone to get SIRO started for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

In regards to Galway: TLI are currently building SIROs chambers in Ballybaan, which is a milestone to get SIRO started for Galway.

I’m currently seeing lots of working taking place by Huawei and Siro on the Northside of Cork City around the Churchfield area.

Fiber was strung along the poles last week right outside our door.

Any idea how long before it goes live ?

• Advertisement

We are not on the Cork interconnect at this point of time, so I'm afraid, I can not give you any information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

We are not on the Cork interconnect at this point of time, so I'm afraid, I can not give you any information there.

Ah ok thanks for the reply. That’s disappointing, I’m really impressed with Airwire from what I’ve seen on here.

Any idea of plans to connect with work ?

Do you provide FTTH through OpenEir in Cork ?

Cork981 wrote: »
    Any idea of plans to connect with work ?

Yes, there are plans, but we have no timeline yet.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Do you provide FTTH through OpenEir in Cork ?

Yes, we provide FTTH and VDSL through OpenEIR in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Competition and multiple providers are good for everyone and not just on price but also CS. Remember openeir hiking up Vdsl wholesale price and you couldn't get an offer but now with siro and their ability to compete on price, we'll all benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anyone had any luck getting google wifi to work connected directly to the ONT or do you need to use a device in between? I've tried hooking it up and entering the PPPoE info but it refuses to connect!

Using Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Oat23 wrote: »
    Anyone had any luck getting google wifi to work connected directly to the ONT or do you need to use a device in between? I've tried hooking it up and entering the PPPoE info but it refuses to connect!

Using Digiweb.

Seems Google WiFi does not support VLAN tagging which is required for a router to connect to the SIRO network. You'll have to use the Digiweb router with the Google WiFi connected to it.

https://support.google.com/wifi/thread/762476?msgid=770811

Seems Google WiFi does not support VLAN tagging which is required for a router to connect to the SIRO network. You'll have to use the Digiweb router with the Google WiFi connected to it.

https://support.google.com/wifi/thread/762476?msgid=770811

Ah, balls. Stupid of me not to check that beforehand but I was close to buying the TP link deco system which does support it. I just assumed google would also.

I'll have to return it and try the deco system instead. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Just use the Digiweb router in bridge mode?
    I used to use Googe Wifi with the Vodafone router in bridge mode when I was using Vodafone as the ISP on SIRO. Have since switched to Digiweb but i'm now running on a Synology setup.
    The lack of triband on google wifi(needed to get the best out of the gigabit down connection - fine if on the 150/300 products) and bugs in the parental controls made me move away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

talla wrote: »
    I used to use Googe Wifi with the Vodafone router in bridge mode when I was using Vodafone as the ISP on SIRO. Have since switched to Digiweb but i'm now running on a Synology setup.
    The lack of triband on google wifi(needed to get the best out of the gigabit down connection - fine if on the 150/300 products) and bugs in the parental controls made me move away from it.

same - i have the vf router plugged in with wifi turned off.
    google wifi the plugged into router with cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Any sign of Siro in Galway’s city?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

boardzz wrote: »
    Any sign of Siro in Galway’s city?

It is upcoming. A month or two. Read back in this thread.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

Obviously I know that nobody can give me a definitive answer but I am curious whether someone could reasonably speculate whether the SIRO service will be available to my address in the coming months?

I live just outside the urban sprawl in Midleton, Cork. I'm about 200 metres from a large housing estate, and I'm on the main water supply in the area. However I'm off the gas grid, and despite being listed as having Eir FTTH available to me, because the telephone pole servicing my house is too old, they can't fit it with the necessary FTTH equipment and are too cheap to bother to replace it. This is why I am hoping SIRO will be available to me, however I would prefer not to get my hopes up if someone can see reason why my specific house won't be covered.

Does anyone have any experience at where lines are drawn in terms of coverage? Is there any way to assess at this point whether I still have a chance of getting the service or whether I can simply forget about it for the foreseeable? Happy to provide more details if it helps. TIA

However I'm off the gas grid, and despite being listed as having Eir FTTH available to me, because the telephone pole servicing my house is too old, they can't fit it with the necessary FTTH equipment and are too cheap to bother to replace it.

The solution to your problems is, that if somebody accidentally reverses a truck into that pole.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gaeltec,sp, are upgrading and replacing ESB poles here in readiness for siro, would anyone have a rough idea of the time frame involved to it becoming available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    The solution to your problems is, that if somebody accidentally reverses a truck into that pole.

/M

hehehehehehehehe

• Advertisement

/M

:)

The thought probably would have crossed my mind except it's inside a concrete wall and so is protected from the road. Was hoping it might have been blown over in the storms over the past year or so, but no such luck :pac:

:)

The thought probably would have crossed my mind except it's inside a concrete wall and so is protected from the road. Was hoping it might have been blown over in the storms over the past year or so, but no such luck :pac:

Expose it to wood worm ? Drill a hole and poor in battery acid ?

/M

Expose it to wood worm ? Drill a hole and poor in battery acid ?

/M

Tempting! :D Eir have been dicks about this for over a year so they'd deserve it. Three times I took a day off work for the installation that was supposed to happen and each time the engineer just took one look at the pole and said it hadn't been upgraded and they couldn't do anything. The fourth time they tried to do this I inspected the pole myself and could see (when I finally knew what I was looking for) nothing had changed so I refused to agree the date, explaining the situation, and I've heard nothing since so just gave up on wasting my time further.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Quite a lot of new premises passed this month by Siro, our online checkers will be updated shortly.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Ah, balls. Stupid of me not to check that beforehand but I was close to buying the TP link deco system which does support it. I just assumed google would also.

I'll have to return it and try the deco system instead. Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to update this in case someone searches for 'Deco m5' in the forum later on: It works fine with SIRO, really well actually. I got the 2 device system for £130 and they are hard wired to each other. One is downstairs in the living room next to the ONT and we have a Cat7 cable running from the main deco to the slave one upstairs on the other side of the house. Getting 250 - 500 DL upstairs and downstairs with low pings now depending on how far we are from one of the decos. Previously we had that cat7 cable connected to the ONT and a router connected on the other side upstairs, but we were lucky to get 50 DL downstairs and the ping/jitter was mad. That was with an asus rt-ac3200. Not a cheap router!

Definitely worth wiring them together if you have the option.

talla wrote: »

Too much stuff. It wouldn't look neat with a router and a google wifi puck in the living room.

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sligo and South Dublin.

This month in our coverage area:
    Athlone: 272
    City West, Carrickmines, Stepaside: 137
    Limerick: 744
    Portlaoise: 168

Also, the build in Galway has started and we're in the process of getting our interconnect ready.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I heard today that Siro may be going live in Dunshaughlin in about 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Got an email today from Siro to say FTTH was officially available in Carrigtwohill.

Carrigtwohill is still listed as 'planned' on the Siro website.

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Carrigtwohill is still listed as 'planned' on the Siro website.

yeah .. their map is a bit behind.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

yeah .. their map is a bit behind.

/M

They are saying "Your service will be activated within up to 15 calendar days." so pretty pleased.

What's the Vodafone wifi like, should I consider getting my own wifi router?

Advertisement