Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fibre coming soon email has landed...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Got a text last week from Digiweb stating that Fibre with speeds of up to 1000mbps is available in my area (Coosan, Athlone), I took it to be SIRO so I rang them and queried it as our area is under the NBP, didn't think it was covered by SIRO at all. They were to ring me back as I said it must be a mistake but they haven't called yet. Just wondering if anyone else got this text and if I'm getting my hopes up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Got a text last week from Digiweb stating that Fibre with speeds of up to 1000mbps is available in my area (Coosan, Athlone), I took it to be SIRO so I rang them and queried it as our area is under the NBP, didn't think it was covered by SIRO at all. They were to ring me back as I said it must be a mistake but they haven't called yet. Just wondering if anyone else got this text and if I'm getting my hopes up? :)

Put your address into the Airwire checker and see what shows as live?
    They poll Eir and SIRO databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

banie01 wrote: »
    Put your address into the Airwire checker and see what shows as live?
    They poll Eir and SIRO databases.

You're actually better off checking the SIRO website. I'm installed with SIRO from Vodafone now two weeks. SIRO website changed today saying it's available at my eircode and I got an email saying it's now available.

Airwire's checker says unavailable.

Problem with multiple data sources is they go out of sync.

Both saying unavailable. Balls. Y u do dis Digiweb!!!??? :(

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Both saying unavailable. Balls.

Hi,

if you PM me your Eircode, I can have a look into, why it's not listed.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Both saying unavailable. Balls. Y u do dis Digiweb!!!??? :(

Hi, could you send a PM with your details and we'll look into this for you. We try as best as possible to keep existing customers upto date once FTTH becomes avaialble but with multiple data sources its possible there was a mistake. Once we get your PM we'll look at it straight away.

PM's sent to you both, cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hi,

you're well outside the build area for SIRO, that's why. They only went as far north in Coosan as where the Judo club is. So down around Clonbrusk West.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Nothing received just yet

• Advertisement

Hi,

you're well outside the build area for SIRO, that's why. They only went as far north in Coosan as where the Judo club is. So down around Clonbrusk West.

Thanks Martin, that's what I thought, it was just a misleading text that got my hopes up!

Digiweb wrote: »
    Nothing received just yet

Just sent it again there now. Can you also check why I received the text as I assume it was an error?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im not sure if this is the right thread for this but SIRO have approached me looking for permission to fit a distribution box (2 of them actually) on the gable wall of my house that will service up to 30 houses or more. If I agree it would practically rule out any future possibility of putting an extension on that side of the house.

I have heard stories of interference with electronic equipment in the home and the possibility of a fire risk and coupled with the prospect of restricting a future extension of the house and even the replacement of soffit and fascia boarding Im inclined to say no. I have already conveyed this to their reps but the old bit of bluffing has already started where Im being told that if I dont give my consent then no one else on my street will get SIRO BB.

Anyone else here have the main feeder or distribution boxes fitted on their homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

muffler wrote: »
    Im not sure if this is the right thread for this but SIRO have approached me looking for permission to fit a distribution box (2 of them actually) on the gable wall of my house that will service up to 30 houses or more. If I agree it would practically rule out any future possibility of putting an extension on that side of the house.

I have heard stories of interference with electronic equipment in the home and the possibility of a fire risk and coupled with the prospect of restricting a future extension of the house and even the replacement of soffit and fascia boarding Im inclined to say no. I have already conveyed this to their reps but the old bit of bluffing has already started where Im being told that if I dont give my consent then no one else on my street will get SIRO BB.

Anyone else here have the main feeder or distribution boxes fitted on their homes?

It's completely passive so there should be no fire risks or interference issues. There is the disruption to your future plans to consider though. If it were me I'd try to negotiate free 1Gb broadband for the period that the distribution points remain on my premises. Get it in writing if you go down this route.

They likely could service the other homes but it may involve costly civil works that they are not willing to pay for.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have heard stories of interference with electronic equipment in the home and the possibility of a fire risk...
    It's fibre. It's literally beams of light travelling through strands of glass. Interference and fires are not so much unlikely as categorically impossible.
    ...and coupled with the prospect of restricting a future extension of the house and even the replacement of soffit and fascia boarding Im inclined to say no. I have already conveyed this to their reps but the old bit of bluffing has already started where Im being told that if I dont give my consent then no one else on my street will get SIRO BB.
    It's not bluffing. I know of premises that have been excluded from the SIRO rollout because of neighbours refusing to give consent. It's not exactly a recipe for neighbourly harmony.

If you have concerns, discuss them with SIRO in the spirit of trying to find an accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you are going ahead I would ask them for a contract with a termination clause giving you the right to give them 90 days notice at any stage to remove their equipment.

It's completely passive so there should be no fire risks or interference issues.
    Yeah, I had an idea that was the case but it was mentioned to me in the past about interference but perhaps that person was getting confused re household appliances interfering with BB

There is the disruption to your future plans to consider though.
    That is a big factor. I have no immediate plans but who knows what lies ahead or what the next generation may decide to do so its better erring on the side of caution.

If it were me I'd try to negotiate free 1Gb broadband for the period that the distribution points remain on my premises. Get it in writing if you go down this route.
    My thinking exactly. When I was initially approached a couple of weeks ago I asked what incentive would there be and the guy came back 2 days ago and said none. I since phoned SIRO and got the same "couldnt care less if you agree or not" attitude which has pretty much made my mind up.

They likely could service the other homes but it may involve costly civil works that they are not willing to pay for.
    Indeed they could but it would be at an additional cost as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My thinking exactly. When I was initially approached a couple of weeks ago I asked what incentive would there be and the guy came back 2 days ago and said none. I since phoned SIRO and got the same "couldnt care less if you agree or not" attitude which has pretty much made my mind up.

SIRO has no facility to offer you a broadband service. They only do the last mile. They have no nationwide infrastructure at all.

They simply build the local network and then hand the connections off to the providers.

So, there is no way, they could give you that.

They look at the options, try to get the consent were possible, may do civils in some cases, but in a lot of cases, entire stretches of road simply don't get enabled for FTTH and never will. Good few examples of that in Sligo and Limerick.

I came across one scenario in Dublin recently, where a house was sold. New owner wanted the NTL/UPC/Virgin cabling gone. About 20-30 houses lost their service for good.

/M

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's not bluffing.
    It is bluffing, trust me. I know a wee bit about providing services in residential areas but to be sure on the SIRO front I had a guy (who works in the physical end of the provisioning) out this morning and he confirmed that there are at least 2 other options available but both would cost substantially more.

I know of premises that have been excluded from the SIRO rollout
    I dont doubt that for a moment but its never a one cap fits all scenario.

because of neighbours refusing to give consent. It's not exactly a recipe for neighbourly harmony.
    Are you in the business yourself? The reason I ask is that your comment is just a repeat of what was said to me 2 days ago by SIRO reps. Sounds very much like an industry generated line :)

If you have concerns, discuss them with SIRO in the spirit of trying to find an accommodation.
    Unfortunately I tried but its a one way street with these guys. Their attitude is well and truly along the lines of .... We want you to accommodate us so as we can make a lot of money and in return you can expect feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If they want to use your premises for a commercial undertaking then they have to be willing to recompense you ..... else tell them to take a hike!

As previously advised I would only allow it if there was a proper agreement in writing, which allowed you (or future owners) to tell them to take it out, say in the event of a planning application for an extension, or other similar reason.

If they make any negative remarks about neighbours, I would inform neighbours that they are unwilling to come to some agreement for using your premises for a commercial undertaking.
    Most neighbours will understand that.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    SIRO has no facility to offer you a broadband service. They only do the last mile. They have no nationwide infrastructure at all.

They simply build the local network and then hand the connections off to the providers.

So, there is no way, they could give you that.

They look at the options, try to get the consent were possible, may do civils in some cases, but in a lot of cases, entire stretches of road simply don't get enabled for FTTH and never will. Good few examples of that in Sligo and Limerick.

I came across one scenario in Dublin recently, where a house was sold. New owner wanted the NTL/UPC/Virgin cabling gone. About 20-30 houses lost their service for good.

/M

Let them pay for his connection then. Why should he facilitate their profit making for no return?

Let them pay for his connection then. Why should he facilitate their profit making for no return?

I'm not saying they should.

I'm just pointing out, that it's not something they can provide. And obviously, what the consequences could be.

As he said himself, there are other (more costly) options. Let them go with that then, if they have no options to compensate him.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm not saying they should.

I'm just pointing out, that it's not something they can provide. And obviously, what the consequences could be.

As he said himself, there are other (more costly) options. Let them go with that then, if they have no options to compensate him.

/M

Aren't they a joint venture with Vodafone? I don't think it would be beyond their ability to arrange something. Whatever about stringing cable across your fascia, expecting two DPs to be stuck onto someone's home without compensation is a bit much.

Aren't they a joint venture with Vodafone? I don't think it would be beyond their ability to arrange something.

SIRO is a joint venture of ESB and Vodafone, yes. That is financially, not commercially. ESB provides access to their infrastructure. Vodafone provides some network connectivity and services for SIRO to manage their network. That's it.

Vodafone's retail arm has NOTHING to say in SIRO. There are no direct ties nor channels between the two, apart from that Vodafone has made a commitment to bring their network to every SIRO interconnect.

Apart from that, all SIRO partners are treated equal. And Vodafone is not always the first one in.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It is bluffing, trust me. I know a wee bit about providing services in residential areas but to be sure on the SIRO front I had a guy (who works in the physical end of the provisioning) out this morning and he confirmed that there are at least 2 other options available but both would cost substantially more.
    If they'll cost substantially more, they probably won't do them.
    Are you in the business yourself? The reason I ask is that your comment is just a repeat of what was said to me 2 days ago by SIRO reps. Sounds very much like an industry generated line :)
    I am, but I'm really looking at it from the perspective of how I'd feel if a neighbour decided not to facilitate the provision of broadband to my house.
    Unfortunately I tried but its a one way street with these guys. Their attitude is well and truly along the lines of .... We want you to accommodate us so as we can make a lot of money and in return you can expect feck all.
    If they want to use your premises for a commercial undertaking then they have to be willing to recompense you ..... else tell them to take a hike!
    Think it through. By way of example, Bridge Street in Westport (in common with most of the town centre's streets) has SIRO fibre strung along the facades of the shopfronts. If every business demanded a free gigabit connection in return, who's left to actually buy the service?
    Aren't they a joint venture with Vodafone? I don't think it would be beyond their ability to arrange something.
    You think they should force one of their shareholders to provide a loss-making connection, while also limiting the customer to only one retail provider?
    Whatever about stringing cable across your fascia, expecting two DPs to be stuck onto someone's home without compensation is a bit much.

They don't stick DPs on houses. They install small low-profile plastic boxes to facilitate breaking out individual fibres from a loose-tube bundle.

As previously advised I would only allow it if there was a proper agreement in writing, which allowed you (or future owners) to tell them to take it out, say in the event of a planning application for an extension, or other similar reason.

If they make any negative remarks about neighbours, I would inform neighbours that they are unwilling to come to some agreement for using your premises for a commercial undertaking.
    Most neighbours will understand that.
    That pretty much sums up my position.

I have to say that I was very disappointed with the intransigence displayed and the sheer lack of verbal engagement when I tried to discuss the matter with them by phone earlier today.

On top of that I had their "area manager" at my door on Wednesday last saying that if I didnt agree then none of the neighbours would get it as making use of my house was their only option. That was a lie.

He also proceeded to say something along the lines of "sure if you dont agree dont worry as we wont tell your neighbours that it was you who prevented them from getting high speed BB" Now if thats not a veiled threat then Im a China man.

Good news is that i dont take kindly to threats, veiled or otherwise.

They don't stick DPs on houses. They install small low-profile plastic boxes to facilitate breaking out individual fibres from a loose-tube bundle.

Aye. And what they've done in some places is that they have bypassed the houses that didn't allow for the facade cabling to be installed.

I know of one scenario in Limerick, where exactly 2 semi-detached houses got left out. The one that didn't sign the consent form and the one attached to it.

They eventually connected the person, that wanted it, using a ducted solution. But this happens in very few places.

Often the reason they go facade mounted is because the power cabling either is direct buried or the esb ducts are pretty much crushed.

/M

If they'll cost substantially more, they probably won't do them. I am, but I'm really looking at it from the perspective of how I'd feel if a neighbour decided not to facilitate the provision of broadband to my house.

Think it through. By way of example, Bridge Street in Westport (in common with most of the town centre's streets) has SIRO fibre strung along the facades of the shopfronts. If every business demanded a free gigabit connection in return, who's left to actually buy the service?

You think they should force one of their shareholders to provide a loss-making connection, while also limiting the customer to only one retail provider?

I've already said that having cable on the facade is fine in my opinion. Everybody doesn't have additional infrastructure added to their premises to facilitate connections.

They could pay the ISP (likely Vodafone) for the connection. If the customer wants to switch they do it at their own cost.

Have you any images of the small box? Muffler said DP so that is what I was going on.

In your opinion should SIRO provide any compensation in this case?

Let's face it. They go facade mounted because they are miles behind on their stated deadlines and it would cost them a fortune to bury cable everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Let's face it. They go facade mounted because they are miles behind on their stated deadlines and it would cost them a fortune to bury cable everywhere.

Exactly the same as VM.

Advertisement