Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The other point to bear in mind is that access to FTTH will improve the saleability of your house and street.

It's probably more significant than having natural gas as a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

I don't know if I am misunderstanding the situation here or what. In my view muffler is being ask to put equipment (boxes, DPs, whatever) that his neighbours are not being asked to. In my view that makes his situation different to his next door neighbour.

I can see your point about others then trying to hold SIRO to hostage as it were but I don't think SIRO should give in to such intimidation. Surely this all could be accounted for with strong legal agreements before the build takes place. Special circumstances get special treatment.

You are right he is being asked for slightly more alright but wether he installs a small box or 2 or cable on his house doesn't really affect the situation much from Siro perspective because if Muffler decides to build on in the future Siro still need to come out and move things around to facilitate.

By the way I would completely agree that nobody should be held to not being able to build onto their home in the future and if there is not some clause there for me to do that then I would have a similar attitude that I wouldn't allow it either.

But I think the attitude is wrong that people should expect something for a service that if they don't get it installed will actually devalue there home relative to their neighbours who do have fibre. But they will eventually learn the hard way.
    Nevermind that its actually something that is really useful for them and all their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to say its a great debate lads and some interesting points raised / views aired. Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to post regardless of whether its in agreement or disagreement with me.

A couple of quick points for me to address though. First of all I currently get a fairly constant 66 - 67Mbps speed with my current provider as do my neighbours Im sure so I neither want or need faster BB. Therefore the issue is not about broadband to my house at all or me looking for any free or discounted service.

As I said earlier Im in an end of terrace house and have a garden to the side which has the potential to be used for extending the house. The neighbours dont have such a garden and a cable tacked under the soffit across the front of their houses will never affect their ability to carry out future improvements to their homes so there is no comparison between boxes/cables on the gable wall of my house vs the front wall of the neighbours houses.

If I or a member of the family ever wished to extend to the side or indeed the rear of the house (2nd box proposed at the rear end of gable) then the presence of the equipment becomes a major problem. Legally the house can be extended but by granting a wayleave to SIRO would mean that cables could end up inside an extension and/or a roof space depending on type of extension. If something went wrong then SIRO or whoever would maintain the service can legally enter the building and pull the place apart.

I know a little about wayleaves and they have to be clearly defined both in text and map formats. I dont believe that it is possible or at least easy in any shape or form to have equipment moved/removed/realigned or whatever at a later date when ever consent by wayleave has been given.

So in summary I am looking after my own and my family's interest with regards to having clean title to the family home. God knows, it took long enough to pay off the mortgage and I certainly dont want to be saddled with another burden on my property at my age now especially given the fact that other options are available to SIRO albeit more expensive options

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Very little in the short term, yes.
    But it is to be expected (and Siro & Openeir are betting on it) that the uptake will increase in the short term (5 years).
    I would expect within 10 years that they will have 90%+ uptake.

Even if the uptake was 100%, it would still not be more than 7.3k annually. Nowhere near the 24k+ figure, that scamalert posted and yet has to clarify, where he got that idea from.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it's pretty clear cut. Tell them to clear off as they are unwilling to offer anything by way of compensation.
    It's outrageous that they think the promise of improved BB allows them to walk all over home owners and really the threat of turning the neighbours against you is the last straw.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to get IPTV working using your own router? I'm with Vodafone, trying to setup a Netgear NightHawk R7000. I have broadband working with a vlan Id 10 tag but TV is not working.

If not then what is the best setup? Would tv work if Gigabit router us in bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Hi All,

Just got leaflet from Digiweb that SIRO is available at my address (Limerick, Dooradoyle) and while I am already Digiweb customer for last 5 years I just checked Vodafone offer for SIRO which is around 180 euro per year cheaper! Is there any difference between them in such to pay way more extra for Digiweb? (better equipment? anything?)

rzaba666 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just got leaflet from Digiweb that SIRO is available at my address (Limerick, Dooradoyle) and while I am already Digiweb customer for last 5 years I just checked Vodafone offer for SIRO which is around 180 euro per year cheaper! Is there any difference between them in such to pay way more extra for Digiweb? (better equipment? anything?)

Both Digiweb, Sky and Vodafone have a 1TB FUP. Airwire doesn't.

Digiweb and Airwire use the Fritz!Box routers, which are vastly better than what Vodafone and Sky are using.

Then there are other issues to consider (Support, Billing, etc.)

In Limerick you have the choice of Airwire, Digiweb, Sky and Vodafone anyhow. So plenty to choose from.

Also .. how did you come up with a 180 EUR difference ? I only can calculate a 50-80 difference max between the 4 providers in the first year. All pricing here: https://siro.ie/towns/limerick/

/M

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get remote desktop working on the Vodafone Gigabit router? I have a home server plugged directly into the router but can't find the PC via remote desktop on Windows 10. It works fine on my old router so it's nothing PC related.

I can also access the servers shared folders, so it is connected to the network properly (when on the Vodafone router).

I've setup port forwarding for 3389 TCP and UDP (see link to screen shot), but no joy.

Much appreciated.

Port Mapping Screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Marlow wrote: »

Also .. how did you come up with a 180 EUR difference ? I only can calculate a 50-80 difference max between the 4 providers in the first year. All pricing here: https://siro.ie/towns/limerick/

/M

Digiweb: 10 eur x 3 (first 3 months) + 54.95 eur x 9 (for rest of 12 month contract) + conection fee 49 eur = 573.55 eur

Vodafone: 25 eur x 6 (first 6 months) + 50 eur x 6 (rest of 12 month contract, online exclusive offer) = 450 eur.

So it's actually 123 eur difference in the first year.

Do you think that Fritzbox is worth it to pay that extra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So it's actually 153 eur difference in the first year.

No because you can just buy and use your own Fritzbox with Vodafone for less.
    However my understanding is both Digiweb and Airwire offer better customer support so that could be worth the extra cost.

Digiweb: 10 eur x 3 (first 3 months) + 54.95 eur x 9 (for rest of 12 month contract) + conection fee 49 eur = 573.55 eur

Vodafone: 25 eur x 6 (first 6 months) + 50 eur x 6 (rest of 12 month contract, online exclusive offer) = 450 eur.

So it's actually 123 eur difference in the first year.

Just to point out the price is usually negotiable. Ring them during your cooling off period and tell them you found a better deal (of course don't lie, you will need to actually find a better deal. Check out switcher.ie or bonkers.ie)

I am getting Vodafone siro + Tv for 20 EUR for 6 months and 60 EUR for rest of year. After that it's up to the regular price (70 at moment) but by then I'm out of contract and can move to a better deal or negotiate again.

Same goes with tv packages. Never pay full price :-)

If you factor in the cost of additional tv package needed with other suppliers then Vodafone is ridiculously cheaper.

Now their customer service on the other hand is also an important consideration. It's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Does Vodafone offer 12 month contract or is it for 24 months?

Does Vodafone offer 12 month contract or is it for 24 months?

12 months if you sign up online and its SIRO. If its on OpenEirs FTTH network its always 18 months and for their mobile stuff they are up to 24 months.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get remote desktop working on the Vodafone Gigabit router? I have a home server plugged directly into the router but can't find the PC via remote desktop on Windows 10. It works fine on my old router so it's nothing PC related.

I can also access the servers shared folders, so it is connected to the network properly (when on the Vodafone router).

I've setup port forwarding for 3389 TCP and UDP (see link to screen shot), but no joy.

Much appreciated.

Port Mapping Screenshot

By port forwarding you have opened those ports to the internet. I don't think that's great from a security point of view. I assume both machines are on your LAN so port forwarding should not be needed. Here are some alternatives to remote desktop if you can't get it working.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4pd2rw/best_solution_for_remote_desktop_over_lan_on/

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Thanks Marlow,

Currently have a Vodafone HG658c router, anyone know if they use this router for Siro?

vodafone 'gigabox'

its not great - i hhad to get google mesh wifi for full house coverage

I have a Digiweb FritzBox (newer model) 7530 and I added a couple of their own brand repeaters which I bought online. They are absolutely fantastic.

Unfortunately the repeaters don't seem to be available with a Ireland/UK style plug, but it's not the end of the world to use them with a 2-pin continental plug and a 'Schuko' socket adapter It's not like you'll ever be plugging them out. Once they're connected, they tend to stay on for their life time.

I have had absolutely zero issues with coverage in the house since they've been installed and the mesh network just works flawlessly.

You also get tons of information about the network from the box and also the IP telephony stuff is excellent if you want to use a landline (and you can configure it for other companies like Blueface and so on). It just hosts your existing DECT phones as a new base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A general question - when SIRO launched I read that it planned to build out a network in 66 towns.

Not cities, and I assumed this was because cities typically already have cable broadband (UPC / Virgin).

Yet now I see that SIRO is building a network in Oranmore, which is already served by VM?

And I have heard that SIRO are active in Galway city?

I think that may have been the initial pitch but they're rolling out extensively across Cork City, which will be the biggest rollout of urban FTTH to-date in Ireland.

https://siro.ie/an-tanaiste-launches-siro-plan-to-make-cork-the-broadband-capital-of-ireland/

It's also available in areas of Dublin. Eg Dublin 18

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Geuze wrote: »
    A general question - when SIRO launched I read that it planned to build out a network in 66 towns.

Not cities, and I assumed this was because cities typically already have cable broadband (UPC / Virgin).

Yet now I see that SIRO is building a network in Oranmore, which is already served by VM?

They're for profit.

Clearly they see an easy build with two competitors as more profitable than a hard build in unserved areas.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »

Yes. SIRO are active in Galway and the network there is soon launching. That includes Oranmore.

And honestly.. are you aware of the sh!tshow to get broadband in some areas like Renmore. Plenty for SIRO to remedy. Plus they are a ton more competitive than OpenEir and VM.

You will probably see Airwire, Digiweb, Sky and Vodafone initially available when they launch the Galway network. Airwire and Vodafone are confirmed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Interesting Question here folks and something I have been wondering over on the NBP thread.

Is the ESB/Siro network open access? Eg. Could Eir provide me with a service using the Siro Network. I know a friend in Tralee who has both the Siro FTTH installed in his house, then after his contract was finished he got Eir FTTH also. Two separate fibre lines into it. Also is Eirs FTTH open access?

theguzman wrote: »
    Is the ESB/Siro network open access? Eg. Could Eir provide me with a service using the Siro Network. I know a friend in Tralee who has both the Siro FTTH installed in his house, then after his contract was finished he got Eir FTTH also. Two separate fibre lines into it. Also is Eirs FTTH open access?

Yes ... SIRO is open access. Eir has decided, that they do not offer service on SIRO, so you can not order from them. The list of providers on SIRO is here: https://siro.ie/ + plus some additional providers that have indirect contracts.

Yes, .. OpenEIR is open access (OpenEir is, what used to be Eircom Wholesale. Eir is their retail arm and has no input into the network build). The list of providers that offer connections on OpenEIRs NGA network is here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ ... NGA means FTTC aka VDSL and FTTH. There are even more providers offering service on the old ADSL platform.

And yes .. in a few places you can be so lucky, that you can get FTTH both on the OpenEIR and the SIRO network. Parts of Ennis, Castlebar and Tralee for example.

/M

12 months if you sign up online and its SIRO. If its on OpenEirs FTTH network its always 18 months and for their mobile stuff they are up to 24 months.

/M

Do you have it? It is worth it?

I am calling to see if I can get a deal as I'm existing customer and if they can match my current 35 euro per month deal I would upgrade.

Has any existing customer on here got a good deal to upgrade?

Do you have it? It is worth it?

I am on SIRO, yes. I use Airwire, not Vodafone. And the question, if it is worth it is down to what your usage/need is.

35 EUR/month is hardly going to happen .. only for a limit time period anyhow ... because it costs the provider nearly that to get the connection from SIRO to the interconnect. Nevermind the network after that.

The price difference between lets say VDSL and SIRO can be a 5er before VAT to the provider. That's before they make any money. Let alone the additonal capacity that has to be in place.

/M

I am on SIRO, yes. I use Airwire, not Vodafone. And the question, if it is worth it is down to what your usage/need is.

35 EUR/month is hardly going to happen .. only for a limit time period anyhow ... because it costs the provider nearly that to get the connection from SIRO to the interconnect. Nevermind the network after that.

The price difference between lets say VDSL and SIRO can be a 5er before VAT to the provider. That's before they make any money. Let alone the additonal capacity that has to be in place.

/M

They gave me an offer of 30 euro for 6 months and then 45 after that.

To be honest I think I could have got them down on price even more if pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

I've got Vodafone/Siro for a number of weeks now. It includes the Internet and my home phone.
    I was having problems with the speed and Vodafone sent out a man to check it out and said everything was ok.
    It wasn't ok to me and I got back onto Vodafone and they sent out another person and he changed a few of the cable connections.
    During all this a new modem was ordered for me but it wasn't provided by the second person who called. Anyway I eventually got a new modem.
    The situation is that the cables have been checked coming into my house and the modem has been replaced by a new one (came in a sealed box).
    The hugh (in some instances) variation in the speeds isn't acceptable to me but I don't know where or what to do now.
    I was told my PC could have a bearing on my speeds but my PC is only used for normal day to day work.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I do expect I'll have to get back on to Vodafone. I was hoping to have a more steady speed buyt I've never got any more than 350 download and it has gone down to 29.
    In my old Vodafone system I was getting a steady 70/80 out of a max of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thehamok

Here are examples of the speeds I'm getting - sorry for the presentation.
    I use OOKLA for testing the speeds which is what Vodafone suggested.

DATE / TIME PING
    ms DOWNLOAD
    Mbps UPLOAD
    Mbps DISTANCE
    mi LOCATION / SERVER PROVIDER
    5/13/2019
    Time: 19:43
    Ping: 3
    Download: 112.17
    Upload: 118.05
    Distance in miles: < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/12/2019
    14:27
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/11/2019
    14:49
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/11/2019
    14:30
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/10/2019
    19:48
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/10/2019
    0:34
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/10/2019
    0:30
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/9/2019
    19:30
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/8/2019
    14:27
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/8/2019
    10:09
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/7/2019
    10:41
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/6/2019
    12:28
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/5/2019
    17:19
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/5/2019
    0:24
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/4/2019
    23:51
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/4/2019
    22:11
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/4/2019
    9:23
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/3/2019
    11:58
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/3/2019
    11:21
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

5/2/2019
    11:57
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/30/2019
    23:39
    < 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/29/2019
    19:05
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/29/2019
    14:05
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/29/2019
    9:29
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    20:46
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    20:31
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    20:29
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    16:34
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    16:33
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/28/2019
    14:26
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/27/2019
    19:09
    ~ 100
    Limerick
    Integrated Media Solutions
    Vodafone

4/27/2019
    18:57
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/27/2019
    11:28
    ~ 100
    Carlow
    Blacknight
    Vodafone

4/26/2019
    14:48
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/26/2019
    14:44
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/26/2019
    12:14
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/26/2019
    10:54
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/25/2019
    20:48
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/24/2019
    10:47
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/24/2019
    10:46
    < 50
    Carlow
    Blacknight
    Vodafone

4/23/2019
    23:54
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/23/2019
    23:52
    ~ 50
    Waterford
    Irish Telecom
    Vodafone

4/23/2019
    23:51
    ~ 50
    Waterford
    Irish Telecom
    Vodafone

4/23/2019
    23:49
    ~ 50
    Waterford
    Irish Telecom
    Vodafone

4/21/2019
    11:24
    ~ 50
    Waterford
    Irish Telecom
    Vodafone

4/20/2019
    19:28
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/20/2019
    18:26
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

4/20/2019
    18:25
    < 50
    Carlow
    Blacknight
    Vodafone

4/20/2019
    18:24
    < 50
    Carlow
    Blacknight
    Vodafone

4/18/2019
    17:41
    ~ 50
    Dublin
    Vodafone IE
    Vodafone

They gave me an offer of 30 euro for 6 months and then 45 after that.

To be honest I think I could have got them down on price even more if pushed.

You are aware, that their standard pricing is 25 EUR the first 6 months ? So when you say 30, that probably included phone.

45 after that is the figure they won't budge on.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rollout beginning around Enniscorthy, contractors have called to homes for wayleave to access poles,staywires etc.

Advertisement