Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Rollout beginning around Enniscorthy, contractors have called to homes for wayleave to access poles,staywires etc.

I think they're too late, it'll be hard to get people away from VM, it's a bit pricey but rock solid reliable, probably good for bargaining with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

It must be a year now since SIRO and virgin media deployments started in Castlebar but despite the estate being surveyed by SIRO months ago, still no works have commenced.

I have heard that imagine are now offering a wireless service in the area, boasting speeds of up to 150mbs. although reports are that performance drops dramatically during peak hours due to contention. Nonetheless sounds like it would still be an improvement over the crap VDSL service we currently have.

My concern is that they require a 24 month contract and that would stop me from switching to a fibre solution if SIRO/Eir/VM etc ever get going. Before I take a chance and sign up, anyone got experience with imagine in or near Castlebar? And does anyone know of any expansion plans from SIRO or VM? Im patient and can wait a few more months but have no idea if they ever plan to service the area (Kilkenny cross) and can't get an answer from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Pop over to the imagine thread on this forum, you'll likely get an answer to your question there. It's hard to beat a wired connection

TheDriver wrote: »
    Pop over to the imagine thread on this forum, you'll likely get an answer to your question there. It's hard to beat a wired connection

Yeah - been over there - its a mixed bag of experiences. No doubt a wired connection would be best if available, but question is how long one can wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I think they're too late, it'll be hard to get people away from VM, it's a bit pricey but rock solid reliable, probably good for bargaining with though.

There's a lot of people down here who are with the likes of VF etc already for broadband. They'll just migrate to Siro.
    It's also servicing the areas that virgin don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Nonetheless sounds like it would still be an improvement over the crap VDSL service we currently have.

Whats your definition of crap VDSL? Are you at the far reaches and getting ADSL like speeds?

I dont use Imagine but based on what I see in their thread if you have sub 10Mb or constantly dropping DSL then they might be worth a look. If you have a fairly reliable 10Mb+ I would be wary, Imagine seems to be highly variable depending on contention.

dam099 wrote: »
    Whats your definition of crap VDSL? Are you at the far reaches and getting ADSL like speeds?

I dont use Imagine but based on what I see in their thread if you have sub 10Mb or constantly dropping DSL then they might be worth a look. If you have a fairly reliable 10Mb+ I would be wary, Imagine seems to be highly variable depending on contention.

I'm about 1.5km away from cab - getting a decent 15Mb down but often less than 800K upstream, and thats whats killing me. With less than 1Mb up, once anyone comes into the house and connects to wifi, the system does slow. That is down to their mobile updating app, google photos syncing, etc.. Also means video calls are terrible. And gaming ping rate are bad. If it was just one person downloading/streaming, 15Mb down would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There's a lot of people down here who are with the likes of VF etc already for broadband. They'll just migrate to Siro.
    It's also servicing the areas that virgin don't.

Are they? Doesn't look that way to me, if anything their area is smaller, time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm about 1.5km away from cab - getting a decent 15Mb down but often less than 800K upstream, and thats whats killing me.

Erhh .. have you looked at the speedtests that people are posting in the Imagine thread ? The upload is in the same territory .. at last sub 2 mbit/s.

You're better off on VDSL .. trust me .. with what you have ... wait for SIRO or maybe chat to Westnet and see, what they can do for you.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Erhh .. have you looked at the speedtests that people are posting in the Imagine thread ? The upload is in the same territory .. at last sub 2 mbit/s.

You're better off on VDSL .. trust me .. with what you have ... wait for SIRO or maybe chat to Westnet and see, what they can do for you.

/M

sub 2 mbit/s? Did you not read my post?, I get sub 0.8 mbit/s at the moment on VDSL, and not just at peak but all the time!!!

As for waiting for SIRO or Westnet, I just went back thought this thread and its actually 2 years ago I posted in reply to Paul in Westnet about SIRO "At that rate they should get to the estates around Kilkenny cross by Christmas (2018)" How wrong I was! Are you seriously suggesting I should wait, how long?, another 2 years?

• Advertisement

sub 2 mbit/s? Did you not read my post?, I get sub 0.8 mbit/s at the moment on VDSL, and not just at peak but all the time!!!

To achieve the 150 Mbit/s (sometimes) .. Imagine have reduced their upload. You might end up with less. AND a 24 month contract without buyout option, which is complete nonsense .. at 60 quid /month. I would not consider that good value. They also still have a 1TB FUP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    They are saying "Your service will be activated within up to 15 calendar days." so pretty pleased.

What's the Vodafone wifi like, should I consider getting my own wifi router?

20 calendar days since ordering Siro through Vodafone, I'm still waiting for contact to arrange appointment.

Every time I contact Vodafone, they say its still in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

20 calendar days since ordering Siro through Vodafone, I'm still waiting for contact to arrange appointment.

Every time I contact Vodafone, they say its still in progress.

How long did you wait for modem to come in the post?

How long did you wait for modem to come in the post?

Hasn't arrived yet. There has been no contact since order on the 1st May, other than the times I've made contact with them enquiring. I would have tried Digiweb or Airwire but still in contract with Vodafone for another couple months.

Hasn't arrived yet. There has been no contact since order on the 1st May, other than the times I've made contact with them enquiring.

Its only been about a week for me, that's a bit disappointing if it's that long.

Its only been about a week for me, that's a bit disappointing if it's that long.

Yeah, I was expecting it much sooner. I literally order on the first day Siro was available in my area (got an email), so maybe they've not entirely finished or something.

Maybe you'll be sooner.

What area are you in ?

That sounds like a silly waiting time unless it's an overhead installation.

/M

What area are you in ?

That sounds like a silly waiting time unless it's an overhead installation.

/M

Carrigtwohill in Cork. Definitely not overhead. Estate all ESB lines underground.

Carrigtwohill in Cork. Definitely not overhead. Estate all ESB lines underground.

I would give Digiweb or Kerry Broadband a call. Looks like Vodafone is messing you around.

SIRO installations are usually done within a few days ...

/M

I would give Digiweb or Kerry Broadband a call. Looks like Vodafone is messing you around.

SIRO installations are usually done within a few days ...

/M

Might well do that tomorrow.

Fritz box is Digiweb?

• Advertisement

Fritz box is Digiweb?

Airwire, Westnet, Digiweb and possibly Kerry Broadband use the Fritz!Box, yes. Only the last 2 available in Cork atm. If you want to order with another provider, you may have to cancel your existing order first. SIRO only allow on connection per premise.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Fritz box is Digiweb?

Yes we supply a Fritzbox modem as standard. Send a PM if you need any help!

Airwire, Westnet, Digiweb and possibly Kerry Broadband use the Fritz!Box, yes. Only the last 2 available in Cork atm. If you want to order with another provider, you may have to cancel your existing order first. SIRO only allow on connection per premise.

/M

Finally got a call from Vodafone today and now have an appointment for next Monday. Vodafone box to arrive with Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cathal9

Finally got a call from Vodafone today and now have an appointment for next Monday. Vodafone box to arrive with Engineer.

Did they say what the hold up was? Seems like an awful long time to be hanging around

cathal9 wrote: »
    Did they say what the hold up was? Seems like an awful long time to be hanging around

Never gave a clear answer. There was some mention of a test failing but nothing concrete.

Getting Siro Monday. If the Eng drills a hole through the wall where the ESB box is located, my OLT and Router will be literally in the kitchen.

What are the chances of the fibre being sent down and around to the back of the house to the living room, and where the existing vdsl router is located?

Am I being too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Am I being too optimistic?

No you're not. What you describe is exactly what they should/will facilitate.

peking97 wrote: »
    No you're not. What you describe is exactly what they should/will facilitate.

Lets hope so. Otherwise, I will need to invest in powerlines, etc.

Getting Siro Monday.

How did it go?

• Advertisement

How did it go?

So the Actavo guy's arrived on the button of 08:30 after waking me up an hour earlier letting me know they'd be arriving (rang at half 7). Two van's landed outside and they swiftly got going. They discussed positioning of the external fibre unit and corresponding internal termination and he was saying the dining room was the best place for it as it was on the same wall as the box. I however wanted it in the living room - at the back of the house - where the existing VDSL box was located. I eventually got him around to the idea and he explained it would take longer a little longer.

That was fine and they went to work. About 20 minutes later the other guy came in and said there's a problem. They weren’t able to run the fibre from the mini pillar to my ESB box as there was a blockage. To be exact, they think the ducting from my ESB box down is cracked somewhere and that's preventing it getting through, rather than a blockage underground.

So they said the Civil team will need to be arranged and that will take "3-5 working days". I reluctantly accepted my situation.

Annoyingly, my next door neighbour was also getting theirs that morning and had no issue with the ducting.

Actavo must be intentionally doing them together because its too much of a coincidence - Maybe that is also why I have waited so long.

So I've already waited nearly 4 weeks (on Wednesday) to get the service and will probably have to wait another week at least between the Civil team and the Engineers calling again.

Frustrating but nothing I can do.

Notably, the Actavo guy said there were installing with over a week in the estate and that I was far from the first to get the new service. That is very interesting because I literally ordered off Vodafone within an hour of receiving the official 'Siro is available' email. And nearly 4 weeks later I'm still waiting.

Anyway, now to wait for Civil guys to do there thing, which I thankfully don't have to be home for.

Advertisement