Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

That sucks. I'm due to get mine tomorrow, fingers crossed there'll be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Don't be frustrated. Blocked, cracked ducts are common.

At least ... with a SIRO installation .. you can be assured, that they take ownership and solve the issue end-to-end. No cost to you.

You wouldn't get that with many other wholesale networks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Marlow wrote: »
    Don't be frustrated. Blocked, cracked ducts are common.

At least ... with a SIRO installation .. you can be assured, that they take ownership and solve the issue end-to-end. No cost to you.

You wouldn't get that with many other wholesale networks.

/M

Finally got the service fully installed yesterday evening. Firstly around lunchtime the Civil team arrived and did their thing. 4 hours later at 5pm the two Actavo guys arrived back and installed the ONT exactly where I wanted it.

So pretty pleased at this point, especially that they managed to sort everything out within a couple of days.

https://facreationz.wordpress.com/2015/10/24/connect-computer-directly-with-ont-internet/

Will this work for me or will I need a vlan capable network card?

I'm not getting more than 350 Megs wired and want to see if its my laptop is the issue. Interestingly my 5Ghz wifi card on the same laptop can hit nearly nearly 600 Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    https://facreationz.wordpress.com/2015/10/24/connect-computer-directly-with-ont-internet/

You need VLAN 10 on the card.

• Advertisement

You need VLAN 10 on the card.

Thanks, I'll see if my card supports it. Prob not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm not getting more than 350 Megs wired and want to see if its my laptop is the issue. Interestingly my 5Ghz wifi card on the same laptop can hit nearly nearly 600 Mbps.

You need a vlan capable network card which most are, the standard has been around for a long time at this stage.

tuxy wrote: »
    You need a vlan capable network card which most are, the standard has been around for a long time at this stage.

Cool. Found a better guide:
    https://helpdesk.voyager.co.nz/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/222/49/ufb---pc-to-ont-isolation-via-pppoe

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Finally got the service fully installed yesterday evening. Firstly around lunchtime the Civil team arrived and did their thing. 4 hours later at 5pm the two Actavo guys arrived back and installed the ONT exactly where I wanted it.

So pretty pleased at this point, especially that they managed to sort everything out within a couple of days.

How's the performance?

How's the performance?

Wireless is exceeding expectation on 5Ghz, able to hit nearly 600 megs in the same room as the box.

Wired is so far below my expectation. Can't get more than 350. Tried half a dozen different Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables with nothing else plugged into box and average is 250. Unfortunately I only have one laptop to test with currently.

I would like to test directly to the ONT but my laptop doesn't seem to have a place to input the VLAN id (10). It does have a mention of VLAN however (see attached).

• Advertisement

Wireless is exceeding expectation on 5Ghz, able to hit nearly 600 megs in the same room as the box.

Wired is so far below my expectation. Can't get more than 350. Tried half a dozen different Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables with nothing else plugged into box and average is 250. Unfortunately I only have one laptop to test with currently.

I would like to test directly to the ONT but my laptop doesn't seem to have a place to input the VLAN id (10). It does have a mention of VLAN however (see attached).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005677/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005962/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

https://superuser.com/questions/1247569/windows-10-vlan-tagging

Installing the line is only the beginning of the upgrade. Next is trying to figure out how to get the full potential out of the line.

Have done a good bit of research and it seems a dedicated wired router and cables is the way to go, with access points for wireless devices.

I'm trying to decide on cat6 or fibre optics for internal network. With Siro having the potential for 10gb speeds I'll need to future proof it.

If you can make the cabling reasonably easy to replace and use a 1 GB setup for now it will work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Maybe try an updated driver for the network card? My laptop is 2011 vintage but has that option in advanced. (I don't yet have SIRO though!)

I upgraded the driver of the nic but still didn't show the vlan ID. Anywy, I was able to test with another laptop - a much older laptop - and low and behold it hit 850 Mbps. So my 2.5 year old Dell Latitude clearly has an issue with performance. It never goes above 350 when connected via ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I upgraded the driver of the nic but still didn't show the vlan ID. Anywy, I was able to test with another laptop - a much older laptop - and low and behold it hit 850 Mbps. So my 2.5 year old Dell Latitude clearly has an issue with performance. It never goes above 350 when connected via ethernet.

S-S-S-S-SMART BYTE!

Uninstall it. It cripples network speeds on all consumer Dells. 10/10 dell.

850 Mbps is poor surely? Should be in the mid to high 900's I would have thought?

If a full PC is not powerful enough to get the full speed then what sort of router is needed? Is anyone actually getting close to a gig?

850 Mbps is poor surely? Should be in the mid to high 900's I would have thought?

If a full PC is not powerful enough to get the full speed then what sort of router is needed? Is anyone actually getting close to a gig?

A full PC? He said it was an old laptop so 850 is good. Most people don't need anywhere near 1 Gbit but the SIRO promotion means many people now have it. Or at least have it as far as the router but probably connect at a much slower WIFI speed in most cases.

tuxy wrote: »
    A full PC? He said it was an old laptop so 850 is good. Most people don't need anywhere near 1 Gbit but the SIRO promotion means many people now have it. Or at least have it as far as the router but probably connect as some much slower WIFI speed in most cases.
    A laptop is a PC, as opposed to a router. Whether people need it or not I'm just wondering is it even possible? If not what speeds should I be expecting?

I'm getting 440 on a netgear nighthawk R7000. I get 730 on the Vodafone router but I cant use it because it doesn't allow remote desktop and is very limited in other ways and its wifi is brutal.

I'm trying to figure out what equipment and setup I need to get the full use of the line. What's the point in having it otherwise? If I wanted grand enough for most users I would have stuck with Virgin.

An old laptop may not have the processing power for 1 Gbit

You can check the Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread, with a good router and fast PC connected by ethernet you can expect around 940Mbit with the rest being lost to overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm trying to figure out what equipment and setup I need to get the full use of the line. What's the point in having it otherwise?

There is no point in you having it. Thats whats flown over your head.

The only reason why you'd need 1G is to have a dick measuring contest with the inlaws.

ED E wrote: »

The only reason why you'd need 1G is to have a dick measuring contest with the inlaws.
    Mmmm ok. 200mb uplink means I can have my own private home server (what industry is now calling a personal cloud server). Low pings are already allowing me to connect to US game servers without any lag. I do agree about the 1g down link though, very little real world scenarios where it makes a difference.

Maybe I'm OCD but I just want what I've paid for. I think it is possible cheaply enough, I just want to be sure I'm picking a router and switch that can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You actually paid for 1 Gbit/s at approx 15:1 contention. But that's neither here nor there.

It is not your providers problem, that your gear can't handle it.

And the only way you're going to get near it is:

- with a PC or laptop, that has an i5 or i7 or similar or faster CPU
    - preferable a SSD drive and plenty of ram (caching of what you're downloading to test the speed)
    - a high quality network card
    - an operating system, that isn't crippled (forget Windows)
    - a network driver, that isn't crippled (forget Windows)
    - no bandwidth management software, that cripples you (like Smart Bytes)
    - cat6 cabling, that has been properly tested
    - make sure NOTHING else is using the connection
    - use Firefox !!
    - use the Blacknight (Carlow) or Airwire (Galway) speedtest.net server ... because fast.com is not working right, googles speedtest is rubbish and most other speedtest servers only have a 1 Gbit/s uplink. Those 2 servers are at least 10 Gbit/s.
    - and make sure to TURN OFF WIRELESS !!

And at that point you will see approx 930-960 Mbit/s. You loose 6% on the PPPoE overhead.

It's like with harddisks: 1 GB used to be 1024 MB. Until manufacturers decided to inflate the figures and advertise GB based on 1000 MB chunks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

I've been through the mill trying to max out my Gb connection also..
    Marlow hit the nail on the head, i've hit nearly every one of those problems,

now i can hit mid 940mbps all day long, tnx to Airwire support.

his post should be a sticky! for every poor misfortune that follows..

Marlow wrote: »
    You actually paid for 1 Gbit/s at approx 15:1 contention. But that's neither here nor there.

It is not your providers problem, that your gear can't handle it.

And the only way you're going to get near it is:

- with a PC or laptop, that has an i5 or i7 or similar or faster CPU
    - preferable a SSD drive and plenty of ram (caching of what you're downloading to test the speed)
    - a high quality network card
    - an operating system, that isn't crippled (forget Windows)
    - a network driver, that isn't crippled (forget Windows)
    - no bandwidth management software, that cripples you (like Smart Bytes)
    - cat6 cabling, that has been properly tested
    - make sure NOTHING else is using the connection
    - use Firefox !!
    - use the Blacknight (Carlow) or Airwire (Galway) speedtest.net server ... because fast.com is not working right, googles speedtest is rubbish and most other speedtest servers only have a 1 Gbit/s uplink. Those 2 servers are at least 10 Gbit/s.
    - and make sure to TURN OFF WIRELESS !!

And at that point you will see approx 930-960 Mbit/s. You loose 6% on the PPPoE overhead.

It's like with harddisks: 1 GB used to be 1024 MB. Until manufacturers decided to inflate the figures and advertise GB based on 1000 MB chunks.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »

I was trying to download three zipped together Blurays over Zippyshare. Now, I know I was only getting variable speeds of up to 45MB, but I was actually pissed off that it was taking about an hour. Honestly, and no exaggeration, five minutes is long enough. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I see the lads doing the works here this past 8 days or so, and a letter in the door the other morning from TLI confirming it was for groundworks including sub ducting to each property. With that in mind, I'm weighing up my potential options and i have a few questions that hopefully some folks who have it already installed can answer:

- I'm curious about modem placement, specifically how much input would I get?
    - I'm also wondering is the modem just for cable routing, and is it the case that a new router for wireless connection is required, and if so, any recommendations?
    - (Assuming a new router is involved) To get it around the house currently I use home plugs, I'd assume a similar situation going forward for the four wired connections I'd actually need?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers and input

It appears the main culprit in all this is the use of PPPoE. There simply are not consumer routers on the market that can handle gigabit speeds over PPPoE.

So my next question is, do I have to use PPoE for Siro or is there another protocol I can use?

It appears the main culprit in all this is the use of PPPoE. There simply are not consumer routers on the market that can handle gigabit speeds over PPPoE.

So my next question is, do I have to use PPoE for Siro or is there another protocol I can use?

Are you sure about that? Surely the routers ISPs are supplying are capable of gigabit speeds. Several SIRO ISPs are using Fritzbox routers with PPPoE with no issues that I have heard of. Vodafone's Gigabox must also be capable if they are using it.

Ubiquiti have reasonably priced routers that should handle gigabit.

The use of PPPoE is down to the individual ISP. I'm not sure if any of them offer IPoE.

TP-Link list of routers with associated PPPoE performance.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/465/

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? Surely the routers ISPs are supplying are capable of gigabit speeds. Several SIRO ISPs are using Fritzbox routers with PPPoE with no issues that I have heard of. Vodafone's Gigabox must also be capable if they are using it.

Ubiquiti have reasonably priced routers that should handle gigabit.

The use of PPPoE is down to the individual ISP. I'm not sure if any of them offer IPoE.
    Vodafone supplied router gives me 730mb.

Have been looking into Ubiquiti but cant see any speed tests so I'd be buying blindly without being certain it will work.

TP link option looks good, thanks for that link. There are a couple of models there hitting 930.

I would need to take one of these routers and disable everything, plug it into a switch and have a separate access point for wifi.

Advertisement