Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vodafone supplied router gives me 730mb.

Have been looking into Ubiquiti but cant see any speed tests so I'd be buying blindly without being certain it will work.

TP link option looks good, thanks for that link. There are a couple of models there hitting 930.

I would need to take one of these routers and disable everything, plug it into a switch and have a separate access point for wifi.

Some more Gigabit speed tests but unfortunately not over PPoE. Should still be useful though.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/33095-how-to-find-the-best-router-for-gigabit-internet

I'm pretty sure the 730Mb is not a limitation of the router. I suspect it's either your equipment or contention on the line although if you can't get more than 730Mb at off peak times it would point more towards your equipment.

I'm pretty sure the 730Mb is not a limitation of the router. I suspect it's either your equipment or contention on the line although if you can't get more than 730Mb at off peak times it would point more towards your equipment.
    I was sold this as uncontended but that's another story.

I have a high spec gaming\developer PC. 930's connected directly to the ONT. It drops to 730 going through the Vodafone router and drops even more to 440 (measured directly on the router so no other hardware to consider) if I use my own Netgear R7000 (which apparently is completely borked and doesn't use hardware acceleration when using PPPoE) I am sticking to the netgear router despite the ****e speeds because the Vodafone router is so limited. But now I see why they have it so limited because for every feature you switch on these routers drop very significantly in performance.

Cat6 cables btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You seem unhappy with your current provider, if uncontended is in your contract and they have broke that you can move to a different provider.

tuxy wrote: »
    You seem unhappy with your current provider, if uncontended is in your contract and they have broke that you can move to a different provider.
    It was a sales guy who called to the door, I should have known better to be honest but he told me exactly what I wanted to hear :-)

I did try to cancel and was going to stick with virgin who at the time of getting Siro I still had a few weeks left with them. But Vodafone gave me 10 euros discount per month for a year to stick with them, so I couldn't complain.

I'm getting better than I had with virgin. I'm not actually unhappy I just wanted to get better equipment to do the line justice but the disappointment is finding out this whole gigabit milarky is more marketing fluff than technical ability.

I have a high spec gaming\developer PC. 930's connected directly to the ONT. It drops to 730 going through the Vodafone router and drops even more to 440 (measured directly on the router so no other hardware to consider) if I use my own Netgear R7000 (which apparently is completely borked and doesn't use hardware acceleration when using PPPoE) I am sticking to the netgear router despite the ****e speeds because the Vodafone router is so limited. But now I see why they have it so limited because for every feature you switch on these routers drop very significantly in performance.

Cat6 cables btw.

It's not uncontended. Up to 32 premises are sharing 2.5Gb down and 1.25Gb up but if you get 930 directly connected that doesn't seem the issue.

I've been trying to find other users posting speedtests with the Gigabox but I can't find many if any. Could Vodafone really have recently released a new router that can't actually max out the 1Gb connection that they are promoting?

Can any users with the Gigabox on a 1Gb connection post a speedtest? Thanks.

• Advertisement

It's not uncontended. Up to 32 premises are sharing 2.5Gb down and 1.25Gb up
    At no point anywhere in the process is that explained and to be honest THAT does make my blood boil.

My apparently super fast gigabit line is potentially only 78 mbps down and 39 mbps up if everyone is maxing it out and in this day and age that's pretty much certain that everyone is on if not maxing it certainly pushing its limits and limiting your super fast broadband to well below acceptable speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My apparently super fast gigabit line is potentially only 78 mbps down and 39 mbps up if everyone is maxing it out and in this day and age that's pretty much certain that everyone is on if not maxing it certainly pushing its limits and limiting your super fast broadband to well below acceptable speeds.

As explained the majority of people just connect over WIFI and use 10/15 Mbit watching HD netflix/youtube.
    You can see this on twitter when their is a network outage and everyone is asking where has the WIFI gone.
    How are they going to come close to maxing their connection and then that have an effect on you?
    If you don't like the way GPON works you can switch back to Virgin when your contract is up most people don't have that many options.

tuxy wrote: »
    As explained the majority of people just connect over WIFI and use 10/15 Mbit watching HD netflix/youtube.
    You can see this on twitter when their is a network outage and everyone is asking where has the WIFI gone.
    How are they going to come close to maxing their connection and then that have an effect on you?
    If you don't like the way GPON works you can switch back to Virgin when your contract is up most people don't have that many options.
    You cant sell someone an essential service which involves installing a physical line, drilling holes in your house and then turn around and say it's not actually what you were sold and if you don't like it cancel and go elsewhere.

FFS.

Right I've got the message. It's all marketing bull**** and theres no such thing as gigabit speeds and I'm an idiot to even wonder why I'm not even coming close to what is advertised..

Thanks for setting me straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Appears that since June 1st, a lot of premises in Swords Dublin have changed from expecting service within 6 months to "SIRO is not available at this address yet."

Not sure if it means anything or if it's been delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Got a mail the other day confirming 26000 premises passes in Limerick city!
    Unfortunately none of them are mine :(

In all likelihood I will have a SIRO option within the year as they already have houses active on my estate.
    Given that I'm urban, I may yet end up with a choice between Eir FTTH and SIRO aswell as the currently available FTTC and Virgin.

Ideally from a purely less to go wrong point of view, (and being green I suppose)
    I'd get one of the FTTH providers as currently using Virgin or FTTC means running in bridge mode and I want to cut down on the number of ancillary boxes running under my stairs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

banie01 wrote: »
    Got a mail the other day confirming 26000 premises passes in Limerick city!
    Unfortunately none of them are mine :(

In all likelihood I will have a SIRO option within the year as they already have houses active on my estate.
    Given that I'm urban, I may yet end up with a choice between Eir FTTH and SIRO aswell as the currently available FTTC and Virgin.

Ideally from a purely less to go wrong point of view, (and being green I suppose)
    I'd get one of the FTTH providers as currently using Virgin or FTTC means running in bridge mode and I want to cut down on the number of ancillary boxes running under my stairs :pac:

You don't necessarily need bridge mode for fttc, there are plenty of routers available that'll run fttc directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need bridge mode for fttc, there are plenty of routers available that'll run fttc directly.

The setup I currently use doesn't have a modem in my own network management setup.
    So in my own specific instance, its bridge mode only on FTTC/Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It appears the main culprit in all this is the use of PPPoE. There simply are not consumer routers on the market that can handle gigabit speeds over PPPoE.

So my next question is, do I have to use PPoE for Siro or is there another protocol I can use?

The Fritz!Box can handle Gbit/s, no problem. Other routers can too, but you need to be very picky. Also, there is another option to authenticate with some providers (not Vodafone), which is IPoE, but that would still not solve your problem. Because your problem is not PPPoE.

I made it very clear, what to expect, in my post.
    At no point anywhere in the process is that explained and to be honest THAT does make my blood boil.

How would you ever expect to get uncontended at the pricing you're getting it ?

1 Gbit/s uncontended costs the provider 600-1500 EUR/month + VAT in Dublin. And that's before they've paid for the second and third one they'd need for backup. Obviously with volume that changes, but not as drastically, that they could sell you 1 Gbit/s uncontended.

Common sense dictates: there's no way you're getting uncontended 1 Gbit/s for 50 odd quid.

Airwire cleary specify the 16:1 contention on their website for their SIRO product: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro ... and that's the technical limitation last mile.

Digiweb specify: "Through a combination of enhanced quality of service mechanisms and active capacity management, SIRO ensures that users do not and will not experience congestion." But congestion and contention are 2 different things.

And then there's that thing, that both Vodafone and Digiweb have a 1TB/month Fair Usage Policy for their products, so it wouldn't even matter if it was uncontended .... you hit that one even at 80 Mbit/s easy. Digiweb FUP: https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy/ - Vodafone FUP: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html - "15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination."

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Limerick, Portlaoise, Sixmilebridge, Shannon, Sligo and South Dublin.

This month in our coverage area:
    A few new premises in Ennis, Portlaoise and Sligo
    Sixmilebridge: 875
    Limerick: 348

Also, our interconnect is Galway is now complete and we expect to the get first premises launched throughout the month.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Our product checkers also updated with new premises passed this month, we'll have Trim live at the end of this month also and are now taking pre-orders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Digiweb wrote: »
    Our product checkers also updated with new premises passed this month, we'll have Trim live at the end of this month also and are now taking pre-orders :)

Any information on more availability in Swords, Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Saw the Siro lads installing cables in the ducts near the library/shopping centre in Ferrybank today. Hopefully it means it won't be long for it to come over the bridge to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

What's the form so far from Siro when they roll out to a town?
    How big a catchment area around the town do they create typically?

Just Urban. They used to have maps outlining the rollout on their website, but they're gone.

Northwest Broadband have the Sligo outline on their website, as they're selling SIRO up there: http://www.nwb.ie/index.php/coverage/

That should give you an idea.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Marlow wrote: »
    Just Urban. They used to have maps outlining the rollout on their website, but they're gone.

Northwest Broadband have the Sligo outline on their website, as they're selling SIRO up there: http://www.nwb.ie/index.php/coverage/

/M

That looks a bit rough, has it going much further out the R286 (Hazelwood Road) than I believe it actually does based on checking a few Eircodes out that way, seems to stop around Ballinode. Maybe its still to be built out further but its getting less urban out that way (and some of it is covered by Eir FTTH).

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    That looks a bit rough, has it going much further out the R286 (Hazelwood Road) than I believe it actually does based on checking a few Eircodes out that way, seems to stop around Ballinode. Maybe its still to be built out further but its getting less urban out that way (and some of it is covered by Eir FTTH).

That outline is what SIRO planned originally and is what they had on their website. Obviously they may have finetuned that before they rolled it out.

Also . there are overlaps between SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH. Some premises can get both. The networks have nothing to do with each other. No cooperation and no communication.

Fact is though, that the Sligo build is complete. Only a few new builds being added occasionally.

I only mentioned it for a reference. There is NO precise mapping available to the public.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Also . there are overlaps between SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH. Some premises can get both. The networks have nothing to do with each other. No cooperation and no communication.

/M

Yeah I get that, just figured they wouldn't be pushing out into whats ribbon development at that distance out especially if the area is already serviced.

If you know Sligo, then I can tell you that they for example cover well up the Holywell Road.

/M

107920 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2019 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. +19% QonQ and +115% YoY.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

/M

Ya that maps not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

107920 FTTH connections at the end of Q1 2019 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. +19% QonQ and +115% YoY.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q1-2019
    With the improved offers in price I'd expect a big increase for the remainder of this year.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Ya that maps not accurate.

It is a map, that SIRO originally had on their website and obviously has to be taken as a guideline.

The only way you know for sure, is if you check with the providers based on the eircode. There are premises within that blob that have been left out for technical or construction reasons.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any idea when Charleville is getting it?
    I know its this year but no mention of what month etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Folks

In case this was not mentioned in an earlier post Digiweb in conjunction with SIRO are offering their "Electric Broadband 1000" service for €35.00pm for 24 months. Phone service add-on however may be an extra €10.00pm.

https://digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/siro-exclusive-offer/?utm_source=SIRO Searches&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Address look-ups&utm_term=NAAS&eircode=-snip-

To avail of this you must go through the SIRO website and confirm service availability at your address/eircode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

cunnijo wrote: »
    Folks

In case this was not mentioned in an earlier post Digiweb in conjunction with SIRO are offering their "Electric Broadband 1000" service for €35.00pm for 24 months. Phone service add-on however may be an extra €10.00pm.

https://digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/siro-exclusive-offer/?utm_source=SIRO Searches&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Address look-ups&utm_term=NAAS&eircode=-snip-

To avail of this you must go through the SIRO website and confirm service availability at your address/eircode.
    Its 65 a month after 12 months, 24month contract. Sneaky. Don't forget 100 quid setup.

Advertisement