Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Who would you guys recommend out of Digiweb and Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

While not advising you to take any particular supplier.

My own case is I am with vodafone since October 2018 --18 month contract.

I am having so much trouble with the telephone side since installation that I am going to move suppliers next Oct.
    I know it will cost me a penalty of 6 monthes rent but, Voda's customer service is so bad (virtually non existant) I have no option only to leave.

My problem is,and, I know other Voda users have it also, an unwanted partial call waiting.
    If I am on a landline call and a second person rings me , they do not get a busy tone or, any indication that I am on a call,they just get a ringing tone. As a result of this I have been accused of not been available on my landline when needed.

There have been several , calls, emails , and boards entries. (voda have now left boards) since October but, the problem still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We have updated the database on our availability checker today. The data is, what SIRO have completed up until 26.06. We expect an updated file with data for Galway soon.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Galway, Oranmore, Ennis, Clarecastle, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Limerick are geographically in a north to south line ..... but the surprising thing is that other villages on the 'apparent' route are not included.
    Neither Sixmilebridge nor Clarecastle could be termed large.

Is there any indication that other 'villages' on such routes might be serviced, at a later, time by SIRO?
    Any indication of long term plans?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Is there any indication that other 'villages' on such routes might be serviced, at a later, time by SIRO?
    Any indication of long term plans?

The ones we have listed are the ones, that are currently known within our coverage. At least at this given point of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Had a guy from Siro come to the house a few weeks ago, he just wanted to confirm we agreed to getting connected for it

Would anyone know the timeline for Galway being connected? I am living in Shantalla beside the hospital

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

The Green, College Rd has truck this morning with reels of cable and few guys placing cones over covers. I presume they are laying fiber for SIRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are we going to have a price war or will siro get the customers? When it launched in my area, people got talking and most concluded that the eir fttc product was stable and fast enough and cheaper than siro. So are siro struggling to get people to change? From my discussions, people seem to be happy to stay on fttc if it's a tenner cheaper per month

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TheDriver wrote: »
    Are we going to have a price war or will siro get the customers? When it launched in my area, people got talking and most concluded that the eir fttc product was stable and fast enough and cheaper than siro. So are siro struggling to get people to change? From my discussions, people seem to be happy to stay on fttc if it's a tenner cheaper per month

It's something I think SIRO are already engaging in tbh.
    The argument that if you can get FTTC at greater than 50mbs is a valid one.
    I'd guess at currently @70% of users not needing much more actual speed the majority of the time.

Where SIRO/EirFTTH have a huge advantage is in bandwidth IMO.
    I switched from Virgin to FTTC last December and would be in a very high bandwidth usage home.

Initially FTTC was fine, everything worked as well as with the VM product.
    Then as I started ramping up the usage, bandwidth has become an issue.
    I wouldn't be a normal home by any means and even now if I take a quick look at my network stats there are 26 devices connected.
    That's @my baseline number of devices and 4 of those would be uploading or cloud syncing on a regular basis.

FTTC works and I knew the bottle neck I was heading into by switching to it, I had just had enough of VM's price gouging and at the time SIRO had built out as far as the 1st couple of houses on my estate.

So I took a calculated risk that they would have the build finished in the next 4/5 months.
    I was wrong, still no SIRO ;)

That said my house is on the build plan for both SIRO and EIR so I will have fibre soon but if it's not available come December, I'll switch back to VM on one of their new customer deals until the Fibre build finished.

I do think that the biggest driver of any further price wars will be the SIRO/EIR FTTH/VM all competing for customers in the same area.
    At present the networks are still too fragmented to allow customers to make a service choice based solely on price.

That is changing tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

SIRO have been practically giving away gigabit connections since May 2018. If promotional pricing can't make people switch I don't know what will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maru1984

Fella came to the house yesterday to inform us that they would be coming today to connect the cables to our boxes outside the house in Doughiska Road Galway, as yet however ive not seen anyone.

Sad times =( we have little to no connection as it stands currently.

Hoping someone turns up over the next few days and the online systems get updated so I can place my order for a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Siro secures €200m funding package for broadband rollout

While its original business plan was to target regional towns such as Dundalk, Navan, Letterkenny, it has now moved into the cities rolling out its network in Cork and Galway and in areas such as Swords, Finglas and Carrickmines in Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/siro-secures-200m-funding-package-for-broadband-rollout-1.3967474

Surprisingly, there has been no change to the original budget which was €450m, although that was for a purported 500,000 homes. Either it hasn't been more expensive than they originally thought, or there is more funding that will be required at a later date.

SIRO have been practically giving away gigabit connections since May 2018. If promotional pricing can't make people switch I don't know what will.
    I concur but 95% don't know what that means or care as their fttc does the job. Do siro need to compete with eir on price to get they product into people's homes? Or does it not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I concur but 95% don't know what that means or care as their fttc does the job. Do siro need to compete with eir on price to get they product into people's homes? Or does it not matter.
    It's a different, faster service. Most people have no idea of their bandwidth needs so it'll probably be marketing that makes the difference more than anything else

The promotion is technically a price cut so obviously their initial strategy of relying on the faster speeds selling the product was not working. As xckjoo says marketing is also important as many people may not be aware the products are available to them. Interestingly if eir goes ahead with it's own urban FTTH build they are going to have similar issues in converting copper customers to fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I was recently offered Siro 1000 Mb for 25pm (six months) / 50pm (six months), meaning 37.50 pm during a 12 month contract.

Cheaper than the 40pm I was paying for 30mb FTTC, which itself had fallen from 45pm, if I renewed with them.

I have often complained that Bb is too dear here compared to UK, France, etc., but 37.50pm for 1GB broadband is a good price.

Geuze wrote: »
    I was recently offered Siro 1000 Mb for 25pm (six months) / 50pm (six months), meaning 37.50 pm during a 12 month contract.

Cheaper than the 40pm I was paying for 30mb FTTC, which itself had fallen from 45pm, if I renewed with them.

I have often complained that Bb is too dear here compared to UK, France, etc., but 37.50pm for 1GB broadband is a good price.

It is a very good price. It is a promotional price though. Did you enquire how much 1Gb would be after 12 months?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Surprisingly, there has been no change to the original budget which was €450m, although that was for a purported 500,000 homes. Either it hasn't been more expensive than they originally thought, or there is more funding that will be required at a later date.

Different take on it here.

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1154759638858027008

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/siro-cuts-internal-funding-for-its-fibre-broadband-rollout-by-200m-38349296.html

Well he does get a lot of interviews with Carolan Lennon. He does seem to be spinning a bit.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Well he does get a lot of interviews with Carolan Lennon. He does seem to be spinning a bit.

It does seem unusually harsh. I assume eir's funding is coming from similar sources.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Quite a lot of new Siro premises now passed as of this morning countrywide.

Digiweb now live in Dublin North West which at the moment includes premises in Baldoyle, Clongriffin & Donaghmede

Now live also in Castleisland, Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I got a letter at the start of April (Cork city centre) saying someone would be in touch in the next week or two about access to my house but zilch since then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are there connection charges to get an initial SIRO connection?

Are there charges to switch provider on the SIRO network?

(asking for friend who has both available, lucky bugger!)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Are there connection charges to get an initial SIRO connection?

Are there charges to switch provider on the SIRO network?

(asking for friend who has both available, lucky bugger!)

Yes there is an activation fee as against a installation cost but this will depend on which ISP is used and how long you sign up for. Get them to check what providers cover their address.

As for the second one I am not sure if switching provider is deemed a new connection especially when the router is the only item switched (The SIRO equipment and fibre is already installed) There is a cancellation fee however if you change in the initial 12 or 18 month contract. So check with the new provider once the initial contract expires just to confirm.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Added premises within our coverage:
    Athlone - 59
    Dublin West - 41 (Belarmine)
    Ennis - 42
    Galway - 884 (mainly Roscam)
    Limerick - 553

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. Updating network in my home. Currently have vodafone broadband using powerlink adapters.

Getting the SIRO installed next month and have a nighthawk router ax80 ready for it to get better management over home network.

Is there any way to get it vodafone box into bridging mode instead of double NAting?
    Or would it be better to get something like a DM200 and not use the vodafone router and go that way?

Any advice would be great!

EDIT

Found the answer. Using the nighthawk connected to the WAN port will sort out my issue.
    No need for the vodafone router at all as its not using a VDSL connection only the WAN port.

Answer found here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=110105210

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cheesemonster

I notice that Greystones has been enabled and availability shows on SIRO's site but not on 3rd-party providers. Vodafone sales staff were knocking door-to-door yesterday asking if I'd like to sign up. Is there some form of lead-time that Vodafone have to sign-up customers before SIRO is opened up for provision by other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I notice that Greystones has been enabled and availability shows on SIRO's site but not on 3rd-party providers. Vodafone sales staff were knocking door-to-door yesterday asking if I'd like to sign up. Is there some form of lead-time that Vodafone have to sign-up customers before SIRO is opened up for provision by other providers?

I wouldn't think it's a matter of VF having an exclusivity period, more that they can and do throw money into door to door marketing and will flood out newly built areas to try and ensure an immediate customer base is locked down.

I wouldn't sign with VF, nor with Eir for that matter.
    The other SIRO providers are IMO all much more customer focused and they offer just as good, or even better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No.

There is no exclusive deals for Vodafone on SIRO.

The issue is, that each provider has to connect to each interconnect with SIRO. Not all providers will connect everywhere.

Also, you can not sell in an area, until the tests for that interconnect are finalized.

Which providers are available where can be found on SIROs website. If it only lists Vodafone, then that's the only ones covering that area for now. Take Galway on the other hand, it started out with 4 providers. Airwire was actually live before Vodafone there.

/M

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it's a matter of VF having an exclusivity period, more that they can and do throw money into door to door marketing and will flood out newly built areas to try and ensure an immediate customer base is locked down.

I wouldn't sign with VF, nor with Eir for that matter.
    The other SIRO providers are IMO all much more customer focused and they offer just as good, or even better value.

I wouldn't put VF in same league as Eir, I've always found VF grand, fixed issues quickly and good. Price gives them an edge. But I concur that smaller outfits offer better CS if required.
    Eir, now that's another story

Advertisement