Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

I just signed up with Vodafone for their gigabit (SIRO resell I reckon) broadband incl. their home phone and TV Plus ... saves me more than €700 for the year compared to my current Virgin Media package ....

VM wanted to give me a 3 month discount of €15 (total of €45 !!) to keep me as a 'loyal customer of 15 years' .... hmmmm, easy decision - will get VF package installed early next week :)

I realize that after the initial contract you are technically being 'downgraded' to 150mbit broadband - bit in one year the market will be very different and either VF will have a good offer for loyal customers or you can simply switch to another provider (even back to VM ;) ) ...

Just my 2 cents worth (don't stay on a crappy package/deal just "because") :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Stone wrote: »
    I just signed up with Vodafone for their gigabit (SIRO resell I reckon) broadband incl. their home phone and TV Plus ... saves me more than €700 for the year compared to my current Virgin Media package ....
    ;) ) ...

I left VM last December for pretty much the same reason.
    They offer good value for the 1st year for new customers but after that the price becomes very uncompetitive IMO.

They are still too hung up on triple and quad play packages too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Any DigiWeb customers have any trouble getting the speeds you paid for?

I got 1gb Siro installed yesterday and the speeds are nowhere near that and bizarrely I’m getting faster speeds via wireless (250mb) than over a wired connection (90mb). Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Brian017 wrote: »

I got 1gb Siro installed yesterday and the speeds are nowhere near that and bizarrely I’m getting faster speeds via wireless (250mb) than over a wired connection (90mb). Anyone know how to fix this?

Yes. I am paying for the 1GB package but of late I am not getting above 700mb. It is usually 920-940mb most times. So a call to support is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, change the ethernet cable you are using for a better cable ...... having determined that the device you are checking with has 1GB network hardware and not 100 Mb/s.

.... assuming your "90mb" means 90Mb/s of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you're getting faster speeds over wireless, there's something wrong with your wired connection. That issue at least isn't on the ISP side. As johnnyboy said, try changing the cable first. Then laptop. You're not getting a true reading of what speed Digiweb are providing you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Yes, change the ethernet cable you are using for a better cable ...... having determined that the device you are checking with has 1GB network hardware and not 100 Mb/s.

.... assuming your "90mb" means 90Mb/s of course.

Try another laptop, device. When I got mine installed I couldn't get over 250Mbps wired when my wireless was hitting 500Mpbs.

Turned out my laptop was the culprit.

- Test with Antivirus off
    - Nothing else open
    - Nothing else connected to Gigabox
    - Try and ensure its Cat5E, Cat6 or better cable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Try another laptop, device. When I got mine installed I couldn't get over 250Mbps wired when my wireless was hitting 500Mpbs.

Turned out my laptop was the culprit.

- Test with Antivirus off
    - Nothing else open
    - Nothing else connected to Gigabox
    - Try and ensure its Cat5E, Cat6 or better cable

And it actually has a gigabit capable card..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is a new Fritz!OS version out for Fritzboxes.

Version 7.12 .. I've seen the update available both on 7530, 7490 and 7590, so it seems to be available across the board.

Updates are as follows:

* Over 50 new features and improvements: more performance and convenience in the wireless network, Mesh and Smart Home
    * Seamlessly connected in the Mesh: Mesh WiFi steering, shared telephone book and Smart Home
    * Well informed: Important information arrives simply and directly at the email address of your MyFRITZ! account
    * New in the internet: more information on DSL, faster LTE and expanded VPN functions
    * Added value for FRITZ!Fon: easy sharing of access to the wireless guest access, direct blocking of telephone numbers, and much more
    * Practical to operate: quick overview of updates for FRITZ! products, LEDs can be switched off
    * Stronger support for new products: FRITZ!Repeater 3000 and FRITZ!DECT 400 Smart Home switch

/M

CoBo55 wrote: »
    And it actually has a gigabit capable card..

Maybe so ...... but is it connecting at 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s?

Did you change the cable to see if that is where the problem is?

EDIT: Confusion ...... is this referring to the same query as posed by Brian017? Are you the same poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

90Mb/s is wired usual speed for a Laptop/Pc that has fast ethernet card controller

If using windows look at Windows Network Sharing Center
    Connections click Ethernet

Laptop
    What does Ethernet Status list for Speed:

Gigabyte Card would show 1.0 Gbps

Fast Ethernet Card would show 100.0 Mbps

If your laptop has Gigabyte Card
    Make sure you are using Cat5e or Cat6/7 ethernet cable

Note Cat5 cable not the same as Cat5e
    A Cat5 cable is limited to 100.0 Mbps

If you do have in your laptop a GbE Family Controller
    Check in device manager
    Network Card what speed/duplex it set as
    Make sure it's set to Auto Negotiation

Note
    A lot of cheaper Laptops and even some Pc's only have Fast Ethernet Card Controller 10/100 Mbps

To get wired speeds over 100 Mbps your PC/Laptop must have a Gigabyte Ethernet Controller and be using Cat5E or Cat6 or Cat 7 Ethernet cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Marlow wrote: »
    There is a new Fritz!OS version out for Fritzboxes.

Version 7.12 .. I've seen the update available both on 7530, 7490 and 7590, so it seems to be available across the board.

Updates are as follows:

* Over 50 new features and improvements: more performance and convenience in the wireless network, Mesh and Smart Home
    * Seamlessly connected in the Mesh: Mesh WiFi steering, shared telephone book and Smart Home
    * Well informed: Important information arrives simply and directly at the email address of your MyFRITZ! account
    * New in the internet: more information on DSL, faster LTE and expanded VPN functions
    * Added value for FRITZ!Fon: easy sharing of access to the wireless guest access, direct blocking of telephone numbers, and much more
    * Practical to operate: quick overview of updates for FRITZ! products, LEDs can be switched off
    * Stronger support for new products: FRITZ!Repeater 3000 and FRITZ!DECT 400 Smart Home switch

/M

Nothing on 7560 provided by digiweb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

FRITZ!Box 4040 supplied by DigiWeb has the Fritz!OS Version 7.12

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

spix wrote: »
    Nothing on 7560 provided by digiweb

I too have the 7560 (on SIRO). I contacted AVM (the owners of FritzBox) and asked when this unit will receive the update. They replied that it will be updated but did not give an idea as to when.

As for Digiweb they now only use the 7530 which was one of the first Fritzbox uints to receive the update 7.10 and subsequent updates. As a long time customer of Digiweb I asked support about the 7590. They are not using or will not supply it but will configure one if you buy one from the likes of Amazon or Airwire. Something I am seriously considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 onthelook

My contract is expiring in September and I have Vodafone siro broadband + tv. The TV is absolute rubbish so that will get cancelled but I like the broadband. The offer I was given is that I can extend my contract for another 12 months and they won't increase the price. I thought it's a joke, but the guy with very very poor English said it isn't - if there is a price increase it won't affect me.

So I think I'll switch to Digiweb as sky is little bit pricier - Digiweb router seems crap tbh but I have my own TP-Link AC3200 so that should be ok.

I just want to ask - is it similar to DSL - seamless transition - no loss of connection when switching ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

about 5 months ago TLI group were surveying around my area, based in Glounthaune in East Cork, today there was a guy from the ESB who i got talking to who said he was following up on the reports put in from TLI group and that SIRO is planned for my area

is this too good to be true? he mentioned by christmas it could be available (possibly pie in the sky estimate)

the strange thing is, Glounthaune is not down as planned for Cork on the Siro website, both towns either side are active though with SIRO. (Little Island and Carrigtohill)

BArra wrote: »
    about 5 months ago TLI group were surveying around my area, based in Glounthaune in East Cork, today there was a guy from the ESB who i got talking to who said he was following up on the reports put in from TLI group and that SIRO is planned for my area

is this too good to be true? he mentioned by christmas it could be available (possibly pie in the sky estimate)

the strange thing is, Glounthaune is not down as planned for Cork on the Siro website, both towns either side are active though with SIRO. (Little Island and Carrigtohill)

I live in Carrigtwohill and have Siro since mid-June. Even now the Siro website is showing as 'planned' so take that with a pinch of salt.

I first saw work in my estate in late February and in May I got an email saying it would be available 'within 6 months'. From there on exactly the 1st of June, I got another email stating it was now 'available'. Took me 3/4 weeks from there to get it installed.

I would definitely advise signing up for updates on the Siro website. That allowed me to know immediately when there was an status change.

Hope that helps.

cheers, yeah am signed up for updates. im just still curious as to why my area isnt listed as planned when there is some activity it seems

would just like to know for sure if its coming or not!

cheers, yeah am signed up for updates. im just still curious as to why my area isnt listed as planned when there is some activity it seems

would just like to know for sure if its coming or not!

Carrigtwohill and Midleton were both not 'planned' when I saw activity so they clearly don't update it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

We just had Vodafone at the door yesterday. Weve upgraded to this new SIRO thing (sorry Im pretty clueless at these things!) for the same price as we're paying, €45.00 and they've also offered us the tv package for another €15 per month for 24 months. Im tempted to go woth this as we have sky at the min and are paying €56.00 for variety and HD. So a big saving to be had. Can anyone recommend (or not!) the tv service?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The TV service is not anywhere near as good as Sky.

So the question is, what you're expecting and what channels you're watching. You'll pretty much loose all premium channels by switching tv package.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Marlow wrote: »
    The TV service is not anywhere near as good as Sky.

So the question is, what you're expecting and what channels you're watching. You'll pretty much loose all premium channels by switching tv package.

/M

thanks Marlow. In reality, although at the minute we have loads of channels with sky, we really only watch the 'norms' like RTE, 4, BBC, Comedy central, Nat Geo and Fox. I dont think Id be too bothered to lose others....Though we do get F1 channel for free with Sky which I know OH would definitely miss! also am I correct that with Vodafone tv you can only store programmes for a week before you lose them? Again apologies but just trying to figure out if its a decent deal...

You would do well to check the list of channels available at which price point

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/tv/tv-channels.html
    We just had Vodafone at the door yesterday.

I should have added ..... Do NOT believe what you are told by a door to door salesperson.

For instance, was the offer for six months with the remaining contract at a much higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

snowgal wrote: »
    ... Comedy central, Nat Geo and Fox...
    I think they may only be available on the Sky Platform.
    snowgal wrote: »
    ...Though we do get F1 channel for free with Sky which I know OH would definitely miss!...
    When I dumped Sky 2 years ago, that was the only pain point ... but I use Now TV to watch it. Usually either a week pass (for a single race weekend) or a month pass (if it takes in 3 races).

For the RTE/BBC/C4 etc. I've a combo box (saorview+freesat).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You would do well to check the list of channels available at which price point

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/tv/tv-channels.html

I should have added ..... Do NOT believe what you are told by a door to door salesperson.

For instance, was the offer for six months with the remaining contract at a much higher price?

I agree, they'll sell their soul at the door. I doubt you have 24 months cheap price, prob 6months and full price for rest. Online is only 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Hey guys,
    Query that hopefully someone may have information on.
    I have a log cabin at the rear of my property. Tied in a contract in the house but the wifi doesn't extend on too well. Looking for an option for the cabin as it doesn't have a phone line. With siro coming through the power lines, would it be affected by going through the first fuse box and then out to a second fuse box into the cabin?
    Have tried contacting siro directly to ask but they've told me to order the broadband and see what happens.. not an ideal method
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dont take any notice of the updates or website . Little Island is down as complete , and if you type any residential address on the island into it , its not available. I would say they ran the fibre to a central point and thats it for now. Which is annyoing as eir is poor any my contract is up in October and i will need to enter another or face a €30-40 euro increase in monthly bill. The siro crews were very busy along college rd area the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

ELJeff wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Query that hopefully someone may have information on.
    I have a log cabin at the rear of my property. Tied in a contract in the house but the wifi doesn't extend on too well. Looking for an option for the cabin as it doesn't have a phone line. With siro coming through the power lines, would it be affected by going through the first fuse box and then out to a second fuse box into the cabin?
    Have tried contacting siro directly to ask but they've told me to order the broadband and see what happens.. not an ideal method
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

You are misunderstanding what SIRO is.

It doesn't come thru the powerlines, or fusebox.
    Yes some of the SIRO fibre optic cable is strung along ESB pylons for distribution but the electrical system and the fibre system are completely separate.

My advice would be to run some CAT 6 cable from your main router to the shed and use a 2nd router out there as an access point.

That's how I have mine set up and it works well and gives great WiFi coverage.

Dont take any notice of the updates or website . Little Island is down as complete , and if you type any residential address on the island into it , its not available. I would say they ran the fibre to a central point and thats it for now. Which is annyoing as eir is poor any my contract is up in October and i will need to enter another or face a €30-40 euro increase in monthly bill. The siro crews were very busy along college rd area the last few weeks.

A guy from ESB was back again yesterday in Glounthaune area checking poles and tapping data into his electronic device for SIRO(he said), might be a long way off, but i would be happy if i knew 100% it was coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A guy from ESB was back again yesterday in Glounthaune area checking poles and tapping data into his electronic device for SIRO(he said), might be a long way off, but i would be happy if i knew 100% it was coming

I wouldn't hold my breath, they're been pole tapping here for the last 2 years...

Advertisement