Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Added premises within our coverage:
    Galway - 1102
    Limerick - 622
    Sligo - 62

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

In Galway it's mainly Doughiska, that has been added this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Galway - 1102
    Limerick - 622
    Sligo - 62

Thanks for the update Martin.
    AirWire's engagement and openness on here are very much appreciated.
    By me at least ;) I won't presume to speak for all the posters.

I do know that when my current minimum term is up in Nov, that I will be considering Airwire as a 1st port of call.

Unfortunately, as it stands for me it's FTTC or VM at present and at the moment barring Eir or SIRO build reaching me before then...
    I'm back to VM :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Martin.
    AirWire's engagement and openness on here are very much appreciated.
    By me at least ;) I won't presume to speak for all the posters.

I do know that when my current minimum term is up in Nov, that I will be considering Airwire as a 1st port of call.

Unfortunately, as it stands for me it's FTTC or VM at present and at the moment barring Eir or SIRO build reaching me before then...
    I'm back to VM :(
    You should be able to just let the contract roll when it's up in November without signing anything new. Then you'll just have to give a month notice (or whatever your billing period) to change. Think we've been out of contract for over a year now :D
    P.S Got excited when I saw Galway but still not available in my area :(

xckjoo wrote: »
    Got excited when I saw Galway but still not available in my area :(

SIRO have added over 1000 premises in Galway every month since they started the Galway build. They started in Oranmore and are working their way west into the city from there.

So right now Oranmore, Renmore and Doughiska are enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

xckjoo wrote: »
    You should be able to just let the contract roll when it's up in November without signing anything new.

Yep, I could but TBH at the moment I need bandwidth.
    I changed from VM to FTTC last year and speeds for single or even 2 device use is fine.

But as my IOT and media usage increased, bandwidth has really become a bottleneck for me.
    Base load on my home network is 25 devices and poor FTTC is really hitting its limit on feeding them without impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

banie01 wrote: »
    Yep, I could but TBH at the moment I need bandwidth.
    I changed from VM to FTTC last year and speeds for single or even 2 device use is fine.

But as my IOT and media usage increased, bandwidth has really become a bottleneck for me.
    Base load on my home network is 25 devices and poor FTTC is really hitting its limit on feeding them without impact.
    Just couldn't go back to fttc myself either, I'm with VM, ESB have been pole tapping here for the last 2 years but no sign of ftth yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Galway - 1102
    Limerick - 622
    Sligo - 62

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

Does your link checker cover the whole country or only the area's you service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

This is an older article that I missed during the summer. Apologies if I'm covering old ground.

What’s noticeable about the company’s latest list of live areas is the inclusion of Swords, Carrickmines, Finglas, Cork city, and Galway city. These are not regional towns. Without flagging it, SIRO has moved into cities, which is a worrying development for rival Eir. Keaney says the company was “taken aback” at how poorly served some of these urban areas were.

“While the reported average speed in these locations might be high, when you drill down into specific areas the local experience can be quite poor,” he says.

“Given the density of homes and businesses, we saw the commercial opportunity and were able to incorporate it into our plans in parallel with our existing build.” He highlights areas like Howth and Foxrock, which he says, have been left behind. And it’s unlikely politicians will be pushing for an NBP for places like Foxrock.

https://siro.ie/siro-now-a-serious-challenger-to-eir-in-fibre-arms-race/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=ezine&utm_campaign=aug19_monthly_ezine&utm_content=john_keaney_irish_times

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I lived in the South Inner City about a 10 min stroll from Grafton Street up until late 2017 and all I could get was crap eir DSL, up to 7mb. I checked that address on the airwire checker recently and the situation is the same. Baffling when boreens are getting FTTC where uptake is reportedly very low at great expense, and dense areas such as the city centre and Finglas/Foxrock/Swords etc are left swinging, culchies are better moaners I suppose.

Fair play to Siro, supposedly coming to Clondalkin (I can only get 10mb VDSL from eir here in Clondalkin Village) soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I lived in the South Inner City about a 10 min stroll from Grafton Street up until late 2017 and all I could get was crap eir DSL, up to 7mb. I checked that address on the airwire checker recently and the situation is the same. Baffling when boreens are getting FTTC where uptake is reportedly very low at great expense, and dense areas such as the city centre and Finglas/Foxrock/Swords etc are left swinging, culchies are better moaners I suppose.

Fair play to Siro, supposedly coming to Clondalkin (I can only get 10mb VDSL from eir here in Clondalkin Village) soon too.
    Ya it's the culchies fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Siro seem to be rolling out around the "Northern Fringe" in Dublin, basically the urban areas near the M50. Finglas, Clonshaugh, Donaghmede, Santry (I've seen them working in Northwood) I wonder is the plan to start from there and work in towards the city center (the civils and traffic management etc become more problematical)

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi All, we've updated our product checkers also. As Martin mentioned quite a lot of premises added in Galway. We also have new premises in Limerick, Killarney, Donegal, Dublin 13, Dublin 9, Carrigaline, Cork City, Naas, Trim & Clonmel. Expecting first premises in Waterford to come online very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

SIRO have added over 1000 premises in Galway every month since they started the Galway build. They started in Oranmore and are working their way west into the city from there.

So right now Oranmore, Renmore and Doughiska are enabled.

Do you have a timeframe for Shantalla? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Quote from Airwire website:

"Soon going live: Carrick-On-Shannon, Castleconnell, Celbridge, Kilcock, Leixlip, Longford, Maynooth and Roscommon."

I must wonder if there's any more specific timeframe on the "soon" wording. This has been hanging on the website since last year, yet no real update given as the time goes by.

I remain very sceptical to see any progress done this year at all, given the fact SIRO mentions Leitrim county (where I'm based) as a planned area only. To answer my own question, I expect the 1GB broadband to land realistically no "sooner" than 2025(?). I'd much appreciate if Airwire could rephrase their premise "soon going live" to something like "gradually going live within 5 years time" as it is currently nothing but a vague and empty statement. In my humble opinion, indeed:rolleyes:

SIRO have a very clear roadmap on what places they are going to enable.

They also have some timelines for when they expect to enable these areas, but they have been moved around a few times. And we understand that, as it takes time and money to complete each area.

So to not disappoint people with wrong predictions, we won't give a more accurate timeframe for when these areas get enabled. But be assured, they will be enabled .. when SIRO gets to that point.

Galway for example was originally Q4/2018. The rollout started in July 2019.

There are only so many hours in a day, so many days in year and so much workforce available to do these jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

SIRO rollout seems to be to housing estates first and foremost.

The depot that TLI are using is based near where I live in Galway so I emailed info@siro.ie and asked if they would be doing this area as they were based there. Unfortunately they informed me that they will not be doing this area as part of their current plans. Not knowing when they will commit to an area is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

SIRO have a very clear roadmap on what places they are going to enable.

They also have some timelines for when they expect to enable these areas, but they have been moved around a few times. And we understand that, as it takes time and money to complete each area.

So to not disappoint people with wrong predictions, we won't give a more accurate timeframe for when these areas get enabled. But be assured, they will be enabled .. when SIRO gets to that point.

Galway for example was originally Q4/2018. The rollout started in July 2019.

There are only so many hours in a day, so many days in year and so much workforce available to do these jobs.

Appreciate a forum feedback, Martin!

Can't argue on the GENERAL timelines set for the super fast 1GB broadband rollout. Also I agree that "ONE DAY" SIRO will get there. The overall process can be planned forward for a specific date (be it a month in a year, for instance), but if issues arise, it can be postponed due to unseen/unexpected circumstances (which is happening on a more or less regular basis I can imagine).

What I rather dislike is nothing but a marketing value to the rather unfortunate wording COMING SOON. It only introduces false hope of the product to be available IN NO TIME, something like "we are only couple of weeks or months away from it to be at your doorstep". It's understandable in the end, that's how any commercial premise has worked, currently works and will always work.

Am I disappointed? Sure. Surprised? Not so much. It's great to have the fast broadband spreading eventually to all the towns and villages. Hell, I live in the smallest county in the country, so it's natural for me to be sitting at the end of the waiting list.

Coming soon...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭questionmark

Hi
    I'm think of moving from virgin media to siro from Vodafone as it seems to be cheaper. Would anyone be able to advise how the two would compare ? Also is their a charge for installation ? I'm in Limerick city if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

The modem from Vodafone is shockingly bad for such a premium product, has anyone had any luck getting a better one off them when complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

The modem from Vodafone is shockingly bad for such a premium product, has anyone had any luck getting a better one off them when complaining?

Vodafone don't supply a modem
    What you get from Vodafone is a Wireless Router with VOIP phone connection

Siro connection on your wall inside your home is the modem that is what connects to the Vodafone Wireless Router and other ISP Siro providers Wireless Routers

If you don't have Vodafone TV service or use VOIP Phone Service from Vodafone Router
    You can use your own Gigabit Wireless Router of your choice as long as it has ability to do Vlan 10 tagging and has a decent CPU and decent amount of memory to handle Gigabit speeds if you want to get wired speed of 800 Mbps-950 Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

119634 FTTH connections at the end of Q2 2019 according to the latest Comreg Key Quarterly Data. Obviously this is split between all the operators, open eir and SIRO being the largest. +11% QonQ and +96% YoY.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lots and lots of work going on here in Enniscorthy, coils of fibre everywhere:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Lots and lots of work going on here in Enniscorthy, coils of fibre everywhere:D

Spotted them (Oblisek) up around the Ross Road early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Had someone from vodafone call around today saying siro was live in maynooth.

Still in contract with virgin so cant move yet but all checks I have seen say its still not
    available in maynooth. Any update Martin ?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

djivide_ wrote: »
    Had someone from vodafone call around today saying siro was live in maynooth.

Still in contract with virgin so cant move yet but all checks I have seen say its still not
    available in maynooth. Any update Martin ?

It's not, and no firm dates for when it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Thanks for updates everyone, think we’re sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

snowgal wrote: »
    Thanks for updates everyone, think we’re sorted

What did you decide in the end?

djivide_ wrote: »
    Any update Martin ?

As Digiweb already outlined, there is no firm date for Maynooth yet. So if you signed up, you might end up with VDSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Was surprised last week to spot vans and large coils of something getting in the way in our estate (Rathnew/Wicklow Town) only a 6 months or so after VM dug the estate up. Was delighted to read the sign apologising for any inconvenience from Siro!

I'm guessing this is an impossible question, but any rough timelines from them doing this work until service is available? I've had an email telling me "soon"...

Advertisement