Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated our website yesterday on http://airwire.ie/siro

The Gigabit Promotion will still be available until 31.12. ... this has been confirmed with SIRO.

We also added another phone package, that includes 100 mobile minutes on top of the landline minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Looking for a bit of advice here. Moved into a new house on a new row in an estate in Ballincollig. SIRO vans were in and ran cable to all the esb boxes except the most recently finished one, which didn't have eircodes at the time.

Now we have an eircode and can't seem to get any reply on SIRO whether they're coming back to finish the estate.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get them back for the 30/40 houses they missed.

Looking for a bit of advice here. Moved into a new house on a new row in an estate in Ballincollig. SIRO vans were in and ran cable to all the esb boxes except the most recently finished one, which didn't have eircodes at the time.

Now we have an eircode and can't seem to get any reply on SIRO whether they're coming back to finish the estate.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get them back for the 30/40 houses they missed.

SIRO have no requirement for an eircode to place an order for broadband, but very few providers have actually taken advantage of identifying the premises, that are not yet Eircode indexed in SIROs database.

Unfortunately we don't cover Cork at this point of time, but if you try and contact some of the SIRO providers, that do, they may be able to order you broadband based on a premise code.

If the houses were build, before SIRO installed, then they are enabled. If not, it's a matter of them making SIRO aware, that there are more houses in the estate. SIRO will generally remedy this then. Unless there are other issues to get the fibre to these premises. But it is unlikely for new builds to have build issues.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Send us a PM and we'll see what we can find out

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Hi,

We bought a house and moved in more than 2 weeks ago. The house is in a siro area and the previous owners had siro.

They cancelled their service (with Vodafone) on 30th August, but as there is 1 months notice, the siro line is still active until the end of this month.

For the last 2 weeks we have been trying to order siro, but cannot manage to do it because of the active line.
    Vodafone advised that we go to a Vodafone shop with proof of address, and that they can then process the order. We did this, but their system will still not allow them to submit the order.

We really don't want to have to wait another few weeks for the line to be inactive. Does anyone (or any Provider contributing here) know what we can do in this situation?
    We're happy to go with any provider.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

giveth wrote: »
    Hi,

We bought a house and moved in more than 2 weeks ago. The house is in a siro area and the previous owners had siro.

They cancelled their service (with Vodafone) on 30th August, but as there is 1 months notice, the siro line is still active until the end of this month.

For the last 2 weeks we have been trying to order siro, but cannot manage to do it because of the active line.
    Vodafone advised that we go to a Vodafone shop with proof of address, and that they can then process the order. We did this, but their system will still not allow them to submit the order.

We really don't want to have to wait another few weeks for the line to be inactive. Does anyone (or any Provider contributing here) know what we can do in this situation?

Thanks

Plug a router into the ont and use away on it until it's deactivated.

Hi,

Thanks
    Happy to help, send us a PM and we'll get you up and running :)

SIROs ordering system will not release the line for order until the cancellation is through. That applies to all SIRO partners, no exception.

If you can get the SIRO UAN of the previous tenant/owner, then any SIRO provider can change the line over, no problem. And that without disruption.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Siro build creeping into Rathnew / Wicklow town
    Have spotted new Telephone poles and DP's in Rathnew village and signage in Saunders lane / Wilton Manor of works being completed by Oblisek on behalf of Siro exciting times! hopefully abit of comeptition VDSL, VM and now Siro!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

similar situation here in Dunshaughlin. A few year's ago all we had was ADSL2+, then came VDSL to the urban part of the town. FTTH by Eir rolled out to all rural homes within 5km of the town and now Virgin and Siro both very busy building their network in the town at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

SIROs ordering system will not release the line for order until the cancellation is through. That applies to all SIRO partners, no exception.

If you can get the SIRO UAN of the previous tenant/owner, then any SIRO provider can change the line over, no problem. And that without disruption.

Hi. I'm also contemplating moving to airwire/Siro. Currently on broadband from a competitor.

- note that I didn't signup with Siro from current provider cause of their FUP.

Possibly I would be planning to keep the landline with me, but this is not mandatory.

So can you confirm plse how soon could I get an airwire subscription active, and if it is only after my cancellation goes through ? will there be any difference if I am keeping the landline or not ?
    For example could I get Siro from you before the other contract expires - while I am still paying the other provider (i'd rather paye two providers for couple of weeks then be left waiting for a connection with no internet other than mobile).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Any idea if / when EIR are doing 1 GB broadband in Ashbourne, Co. Meath ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Lennyzip wrote: »

Eir don't offer FTTH over the SIRO network, try the Eir rural FTTH thread for info on the Open Eir network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 2ndShooter

I recently decided to review my broadband (Virgin Media) and went online chat with Vodafone to see what offers they had. They said I could get gigabit broadband for 25pm for 6mo, then 50pm, so I decided to go with that. Engineers arrived this morning to install but can't do it because they don't have a long enough fiber optic cable. They said the longest one supplied by Siro is 10m which is too short to go from the ceiling plate outside my apartment to the closest power outlet. They said I am the first Customer in my block (APTS built 2006) and that Siro/Vodafone should have known the layout of the cables/sockets in my building. I don't fully understand all of this but am now wondering what to do. My Virgin contract ends tomorrow and going off what the engineers said I'm not too hopeful it will be resolved quickly, if at all. I don't want to go with the phone line alternative from Vodafone (which is what I am afraid they will offer as a solution) as that would be a backwards step from the Virgin Service. I'm wondering if I should cancel the Vodafone contract and stick with Virgin? Have been onto Vodafone since they left - they say they'll have to wait to see the engineers report later today before they can respond. Any advice out there? I can't be the first or last person requiring a cable longer than 10m.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lennyzip wrote: »

Eir FTTH is available in the more rural parts of Ashbourne outside of the town.

Siro FTTH is planned for the urban areas of Ashbourne, no idea when it launches tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

We have updated our website yesterday on http://airwire.ie/siro

The Gigabit Promotion will still be available until 31.12. ... this has been confirmed with SIRO.

We also added another phone package, that includes 100 mobile minutes on top of the landline minutes.

Your prices compared to Vodafone!!

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/vodafone/ZKQ2NJ/gigabit-1000-mbps/

Gigabit 1000 Mbps
    * €25 per month

* €25 per month for the first 6 months, €50 per month for the next 6 months, and €55 per month thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

2ndShooter wrote: »
    They said the longest one supplied by Siro is 10m which is too short to go from the ceiling plate outside my apartment to the closest power outlet. They said I am the first Customer in my block (APTS built 2006) and that Siro/Vodafone should have known the layout of the cables/sockets in my building.

Siro/Vodafone might know th layout in the common areas, but they wouldn't know individual apartments.
    Perhaps you (or your landlord) could hire an electrician to install a socket closer to the door?

jd wrote: »
    Siro/Vodafone might know th layout in the common areas, but they wouldn't know individual apartments.
    Perhaps you (or your landlord) could hire an electrician to install a socket closer to the door?

Problem is I have solid walls on both sides of the hallway between apt door and nearest socket (which is probably why there isn't a socket there in that part of the hallway to begin with) - it's just unfortunately the layout/position of my particular apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Virgin Media is understood to be considering a strategic alliance with broadband provider Siro that would see it sell TV and broadband bundles to customers in regional towns.

Virgin may opt to join the Siro network in a traditional operator-retailer arrangement, paying Siro a wholesale fee for each customer it signs up.

It could alternatively opt for a closer business relationship, potentially taking an equity stake in Siro, which was set up in 2015 as a joint venture by ESB and Vodafone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/virgin-media-may-hook-up-with-siro-to-bring-broadband-to-rural-areas-1.4031691

Re my previous post can someone explain to me the “anatomy“ of a gigabit installation....I'm confused as to what components are used between my hitch on point and my broadband router. As I said previously, Vodafone engineers couldn't install because the closest power outlet in my apt is further than 10m from the fibre connection point in the ceiling outside my apt door. (The power outlet in question is in fact where my TV and virgin router are and it is where I would want the new Vodafone router to be located). Assuming I could get a new power outlet installed just inside my apt door for whatever it is that needs to be connected, this box would still be greater than 10 from my TV. So my question is does the fibre optic part of the install only run to this first box and then regular Ethernet cable to my new router (beside my TV) or is the cable both before and after this box fibre optic (in which case I'm still in trouble with the distance, with the only option left placing the new router just inside my apt door and having to run Ethernet cable from there to the TV and computer etc........or maybe using Powerline adapters?). Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Does anyone know is Digiweb still doing the Electric Broadband 150 offer?

I only see Electric Broadband 1000 on their website. I am on 150gb Siro plan with Vodafone but I am out of contract now so was thinking of switching as I never go over a 1GB cap and I think Digiweb have better routers? Currently paying 55 a month. Digiweb's full price for the 1000 is 60 so I guess still a lot more speed for the money but if I got the 150 cheaper it would be more than sufficient for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

henke wrote: »

I only see Electric Broadband 1000 on their website. I am on 150gb Siro plan with Vodafone but I am out of contract now so was thinking of switching as I never go over a 1GB cap and I think Digiweb have better routers? Currently paying 55 a month. Digiweb's full price for the 1000 is 60 so I guess still a lot more speed for the money but if I got the 150 cheaper it would be more than sufficient for me.

The Digiweb 150mb offer can still be found on http://www.Bonkers.ie or https://digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-150/ Enter your address and it should appear with the off peak or unlimited call options (Bonkers). Alternatively contact them on 1800 285828. Just to note they now only supply 1 fritzbox modem (7530).

Other alternatives (depending on address) include Sky, Airwire, Pure. Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’ve had Siro for about a month now and the speeds are as advertised but about once or twice a week the service just completely dies. The outage lasts from between 30 minutes and an hour and then everything gets back to normal. Very annoying when it happens. I never had issues like this when I was with Eir. Dublin 15 by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

2ndShooter wrote: »
    Re my previous post can someone explain to me the “anatomy“ of a gigabit installation....I'm confused as to what components are used between my hitch on point and my broadband router. As I said previously, Vodafone engineers couldn't install because the closest power outlet in my apt is further than 10m from the fibre connection point in the ceiling outside my apt door. (The power outlet in question is in fact where my TV and virgin router are and it is where I would want the new Vodafone router to be located). Assuming I could get a new power outlet installed just inside my apt door for whatever it is that needs to be connected, this box would still be greater than 10 from my TV. So my question is does the fibre optic part of the install only run to this first box and then regular Ethernet cable to my new router (beside my TV) or is the cable both before and after this box fibre optic (in which case I'm still in trouble with the distance, with the only option left placing the new router just inside my apt door and having to run Ethernet cable from there to the TV and computer etc........or maybe using Powerline adapters?). Thanks.

491435.jpg

The fibre cable is terminated on the cradle on the right and connected to the device with the SIRO logo which is called the ONT. The ONT converts the optical signal to Ethernet, so it's Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable to the router.

henke wrote: »

Yes still offering the 150 Product - see https://digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-150/

Send us a PM if you'd like us to arrange a call back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

KOR101 wrote: »
    Virgin Media is understood to be considering a strategic alliance with broadband provider Siro that would see it sell TV and broadband bundles to customers in regional towns.

Virgin may opt to join the Siro network in a traditional operator-retailer arrangement, paying Siro a wholesale fee for each customer it signs up.

It could alternatively opt for a closer business relationship, potentially taking an equity stake in Siro, which was set up in 2015 as a joint venture by ESB and Vodafone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/virgin-media-may-hook-up-with-siro-to-bring-broadband-to-rural-areas-1.4031691

Less and less competition.

Our product checkers have been updated with quite a lot of new Siro available premises across the country . In addition we are now live in Castleconnell Co Limerick, Dunboyne Co Meath and Castlebridge Co Wexford

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Digiweb wrote: »
    Our product checkers have been updated with quite a lot of new Siro available premises across the country . In addition we are now live in Castleconnell Co Limerick, Dunboyne Co Meath and Castlebridge Co Wexford
    Is Donegal Town live yet?

When I check my Eircode on your site, it offers it as an option to purchase now, but when I check siro.ie, it says "Get Ready! You’ll be able to connect to SIRO in the coming months."

I have noticed KN vans in my estate often the past number of weeks, and I know the main works are done, but not sure if it's "signed off" as ready for resale.

byte wrote: »
    Is Donegal Town live yet?

When I check my Eircode on your site, it offers it as an option to purchase now, but when I check siro.ie, it says "Get Ready! You’ll be able to connect to SIRO in the coming months."

I have noticed KN vans in my estate often the past number of weeks, and I know the main works are done, but not sure if it's "signed off" as ready for resale.

Hi, yes area is live but build is still ongoing. If you PM us your Eircode we'll double check. If the product checker is showing ready to order you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

I’ve had Siro for about a month now and the speeds are as advertised but about once or twice a week the service just completely dies. The outage lasts from between 30 minutes and an hour and then everything gets back to normal. Very annoying when it happens. I never had issues like this when I was with Eir. Dublin 15 by the way.

I've siro for a few years in Carrigaline, fantastic service never drops,but for the first few months it was as you described ie dripping etc, explained to me at the time was as more clients get on board and as they're working on their homes this affects the speeds for all in that location,it does stabilise-

Advertisement