Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi, yes area is live but build is still ongoing. If you PM us your Eircode we'll double check. If the product checker is showing ready to order you should be good to go.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Gigabit ordered this morning, hopefully installed in the next fortnight :D

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Added premises within our coverage:
    Dublin West - 195 (Belarmine/The Gallops)
    Galway - 611 (mainly Mervue)
    Limerick - 1229 (of those 596 in Castleconnell)

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Come on Martin (get Siro to do the other side of the M20) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

After signing up to srio 1000mb with sky and TV for 55 a month

Based in Cork City is it any good?. I had virgin 250mb and at must I get about 100mb wireless.

What kind of spends should I be expecting about 300?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Apologies if this has been asked already but has anyone here had their siro installed via overhead wire? Ordered via Airwire last week and was told their engineers would be out next week but would probably be unable to complete the install as the ESB only allow their own people near the wires. Could be waiting up to a month now for full install??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Apologies if this has been asked already but has anyone here had their siro installed via overhead wire? Ordered via Airwire last week and was told their engineers would be out next week but would probably be unable to complete the install as the ESB only allow their own people near the wires. Could be waiting up to a month now for full install??

Standard procedure, I'm afraid. ESB Networks won't let anyone but certified linesmen near their powerlines.

At least there is a commitment by ESB Networks. If this was OpenEIR, you'd be waiting 5-6 months. Just to get a duct cleared.

/M

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully ESB networks are quick to react!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Damien360

After signing up to srio 1000mb with sky and TV for 55 a month

Based in Cork City is it any good?. I had virgin 250mb and at must I get about 100mb wireless.

What kind of spends should I be expecting about 300?

Your wireless speeds won’t change. They are governed by the router, the phone/laptop and the frequency in use. Assuming the only thing that will change is the router, no change will be seen. All the speed change is wired with a gigabit connection on laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Damien360 wrote: »
    Your wireless speeds won’t change. They are governed by the router, the phone/laptop and the frequency in use. Assuming the only thing that will change is the router, no change will be seen. All the speed change is wired with a gigabit connection on laptop.

He certainly won't see an improvement using sky's crappy router..

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

CoBo55 wrote: »
    He certainly won't see an improvement using sky's crappy router..

Don't you be worring I be using a proper router ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Don't you be worring I be using a proper router ;).

That's good to hear, that sky router has to be one of the worst ever.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's good to hear, that sky router has to be one of the worst ever.

Nah .. plenty of worse ones out there.

/M

Guys I'm a bit clueless when it comes to WiFi tech but can routers make a big difference to the signal through a house? I managed to get siro today via Airwire and while it's a massive improvement on my previous provider, it's nowhere near the speeds I was expecting. I'm aware it's never going to be close to the 1000mb via WiFi but in my relatively new tablet, and stood beside the router, the speed test maxed out at 250mb. If I step into the next room it dropped to 40mb. I have tplinks through the house to help. Maybe I was expecting too much??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Guys I'm a bit clueless when it comes to WiFi tech but can routers make a big difference to the signal through a house?

Buy your own router - spend about €200-250 on one and you will see far better wifi in your house - as in you will get a more stable and far ranging wifi signal. Turn off the wifi on the modem the ISP gives you and set up your own network.

I use a ASUS rt-ac86u which will give you really far ranging 2.4ghz signal and the 5ghz band will give you full whack if you're on fibre or siro etc. Other bands are available

Main take away - turn off the wifi on the ISP router and buy your own! It may seem like a lot of money to spend on something you can get for free from the box they give you - but it will be far better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It also depends on the WiFi device in your tablet. Is it n or ac? 1 x 1 or 2 x 2 or greater? You could buy an expensive new router and end up with the same speeds.

Also the wireless settings in the router may need to be changed to give you the best performance. Use 5GHz with an 80 or 160MHz channel with a short guard interval to maximise speed. Coverage will be poorer with 5GHz though.

The modem I received is a Fritz box 7530. Should I not be concerned that the speed I was getting right beside the modem was only in the 200mb range? I'm paying for the 1000mb package. Just thought it would certainly be a little faster than that, even through WiFi.

The modem I received is a Fritz box 7530. Should I not be concerned that the speed I was getting right beside the modem was only in the 200mb range? I'm paying for the 1000mb package. Just thought it would certainly be a little faster than that, even through WiFi.

That router has a 2x2 ac radio which with an 80MHz channel would give you an air rate of 866Mbps which means you should see speeds of around 450Mbps, maybe slightly more. This all depends on your tablet. What tablet is it?

You'll never get anywhere close to 1000Mb on currently available WiFi.

That router has a 2x2 ac radio which with an 80MHz channel would give you an air rate of 866Mbps which means you should see speeds of around 450Mbps, maybe slightly more. This all depends on your tablet. What tablet is it?

You'll never get anywhere close to 1000Mb on currently available WiFi.

Samsung galaxy Tab......

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

The asus rtac86u I mentioned has a mode where it will assign 5ghz or 2.5ghz automatically based on 1) if your device can take it and 2) how close you are / what is the optimum speed they can give you!

Wifi 6 routers are coming down the line which prove a step up again over ac wifi, but few devices support them (iPhone 11's and some new Samsung only as of now)

You need to be using wired ethernet or AC wifi if you're paying for 1000! You'll never get anything near it on 2.5ghz wifi - you're limited by the transfer rate of that standard!

Samsung galaxy Tab......

Which one? There are a few with different specs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

Hi, I am sure this has been asked here before but still hoping someone can help. I have moved into a newly built house in the second phase of an estate, I am the first to move in on a row of 8 semi-d houses and the existing houses that are from phase one are all Siro enabled. How do I go about getting cables pulled in? as any provider I have contacted say my eircode does not show up so they cant provide me with the service and don't seem to be able to tell me how to get it sorted. I have received my eircode in the post and the house is in Athlone. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Stichy wrote: »
    Hi, I am sure this has been asked here before but still hoping someone can help. I have moved into a newly built house in the second phase of an estate, I am the first to move in on a row of 8 semi-d houses and the existing houses that are from phase one are all Siro enabled. How do I go about getting cables pulled in? as any provider I have contacted say my eircode does not show up so they cant provide me with the service and don't seem to be able to tell me how to get it sorted. I have received my eircode in the post and the house is in Athlone. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated thank you.

You don't get the cables pulled in. It is up to SIRO to do whatever work is necessary. They may or may not be aware of the second phase of the development.

I would suggest emailing buildsupport@siro.ie with your Eircode and ask them if they have a timeframe for your house going live. Make sure to inform them that the first phase is already covered by SIRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

You don't get the cables pulled in. It is up to SIRO to do whatever work is necessary. They may or may not be aware of the second phase of the development.

I would suggest emailing buildsupport@siro.ie with your Eircode and ask them if they have a timeframe for your house going live. Make sure to inform them that the first phase is already covered by SIRO.

Thanks for the reply. I emailed both SIRO addresses and contacted them on Facebook but no reply so I take it I will just have to wait it out and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Hi

Currently with digiweb for siro and my first year is nearly up. Been very happy with speeds etc but looking at other suppliers for better offers. Currently have the Fritz 4040 and has been pretty solid.
    If you change over can you use new suppliers settings on it?
    What are the modems from sky and vodafone like?

Cheers

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Got set up with siro with Sky broadband about 5 days ago, not been brilliant so far. Speedtest typically giving me 80-100Mbps on both my laptop and iPhone over wifi, same devices on virgin media previously were well over double that. It does vary quite a bit, on some runs I have gotten around 300, but 100 or less is far more typical.

Honestly, day to day usage with multiple devices, Netflix 4k etc has been fine, so I don't know if the speed test numbers are not that reliable or if speeds have got to the point where it doesn't matter that much.

More troubling has been regular outages, about once or twice a day I've been seeing the connection go down for a couple of minutes before coming back. Wifi remains connected but it says no internet connection. One other niggly thing is with my PS4, when I suspend and resume, previously with Virgin Media when it resumed it would be immediately connected, but now it takes about 30 seconds to reestablish a connection each time before I can open up anything that requires internet.

Is all this normal? Is it something a better router will fix or something I should be getting an engineer to look at? Or is it something that gets better with time - I know ISPs always say it takes a while for your line to get up to speed but I've never understood why that would be the case technically and often wondered if this was a way to buy time while the customer is in the cool off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

quokula wrote: »
    Got set up with siro with Sky broadband about 5 days ago, not been brilliant so far. Speedtest typically giving me 80-100Mbps on both my laptop and iPhone over wifi, same devices on virgin media previously were well over double that. It does vary quite a bit, on some runs I have gotten around 300, but 100 or less is far more typical.

Honestly, day to day usage with multiple devices, Netflix 4k etc has been fine, so I don't know if the speed test numbers are not that reliable or if speeds have got to the point where it doesn't matter that much.

More troubling has been regular outages, about once or twice a day I've been seeing the connection go down for a couple of minutes before coming back. Wifi remains connected but it says no internet connection. One other niggly thing is with my PS4, when I suspend and resume, previously with Virgin Media when it resumed it would be immediately connected, but now it takes about 30 seconds to reestablish a connection each time before I can open up anything that requires internet.

Is all this normal? Is it something a better router will fix or something I should be getting an engineer to look at? Or is it something that gets better with time - I know ISPs always say it takes a while for your line to get up to speed but I've never understood why that would be the case technically and often wondered if this was a way to buy time while the customer is in the cool off period.

You alone are responsible for your in house wifi behaviour.
    The ISP (SIRO) is responsible for the connection to your house.
    So to know if Siro is providing what you are contracted for you need to check using an ethernet cable directly to the router from a device that is capable of more than the speeds you need to check.
    In other words there is no point checking a 300Mb/s connection with a PC that is only capable of 100Mb/s.

On the matter of managing your wifi, there are a lot of variables ....

how good (powerful) the wifi in the router is
    your distance from router
    walls or other objects between you and the router
    electrical devices that might interfere
    other devices using the same wifi channel your router is set to
    using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi
    and some others that do not come to mind at present.

You alone are responsible for your in house wifi behaviour.
    The ISP (SIRO) is responsible for the connection to your house.
    So to know if Siro is providing what you are contracted for you need to check using an ethernet cable directly to the router from a device that is capable of more than the speeds you need to check.
    In other words there is no point checking a 300Mb/s connection with a PC that is only capable of 100Mb/s.

On the matter of managing your wifi, there are a lot of variables ....

how good (powerful) the wifi in the router is
    your distance from router
    walls or other objects between you and the router
    electrical devices that might interfere
    other devices using the same wifi channel your router is set to
    using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi
    and some others that do not come to mind at present.

Like I said, those devices were previously getting 300Mbps on Virgin Media wifi so they clearly are capable of it. None of our laptops have ethernet ports and it doesn't seem reasonable to be required to buy extra hardware and to wire the device up to the router just to match the speed we previously received on Wifi, despite the fact that this service is advertised as being more than twice as fast as what we had previously.

Like I said, those devices were previously getting 300Mbps on Virgin Media wifi so they clearly are capable of it. None of our laptops have ethernet ports and it doesn't seem reasonable to be required to buy extra hardware and to wire the device up to the router just to match the speed we previously received on Wifi, despite the fact that this service is advertised as being more than twice as fast as what we had previously.

The broadband provider provides broadband. Not wifi. They often also provide you a router, that may or may not be capable of being used with wifi.

How you use this router is your responsibility. If you are not happy with it, replace it with something else .. at your own cost. It is not your providers problem as that is not the service they sell. They do not sell you wifi.

They sell you broadband. Broadband comes into your home on a cable.

That is where your providers responsibility ends.

But you may be able to find a provider, that also will offer you a service contract to take care of your own network. Maybe. At a price though.

It's like this: You buy electricity from the ESB. You were even able once upon a time to buy a washing machine or cooker through your ESB bill. But they'd be damned, if they would have to tell you how to choose the washing program on your washing machine or why your turkeys always gets overroasted. Same thing.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The broadband provider provides broadband. Not wifi. They often also provide you a router, that may or may not be capable of being used with wifi.

How you use this router is your responsibility. If you are not happy with it, replace it with something else .. at your own cost. It is not your providers problem as that is not the service they sell. They do not sell you wifi.

They sell you broadband. Broadband comes into your home on a cable.

That is where your providers responsibility ends.

But you may be able to find a provider, that also will offer you a service contract to take care of your own network. Maybe. At a price though.

It's like this: You buy electricity from the ESB. You were even able once upon a time to buy a washing machine or cooker through your ESB bill. But they'd be damned, if they would have to tell you how to choose the washing program on your washing machine or why your turkeys always gets overroasted. Same thing.

/M

A bit strange that their marketing material specifically mentions WiFi, and they install a WiFi router as part of the installation, if the product they sell doesn’t include WiFi.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/why-sky-broadband

• Advertisement

A bit strange that their marketing material specifically mentions WiFi, and they install a WiFi router as part of the installation, if the product they sell doesn’t include WiFi.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/why-sky-broadband

They install a wifi router. Yes .. i outlined that most ISPs do that. They either sell or give you a lend of said router as you need it to use the service.

But the wifi itself is still your responsibility. They can not give you a service guarantee on that. Wifi uses license free frequencies and sure .. even your neighbors baby monitor could make your signal unusable.

Your internet provider provides .. as the name says ... internet .... otherwise they would be called "wifi provider ". But they are not. Internet is not wifi. Internet can be supplied in many ways. And it comes into your house how ?

Just because you do not have a computer, that can be cabled, that does not make it your internet providers responsibility. Its yours. Because it is your network. You need to know what your are doing from the router and onwards. The same as you need to know how to program your washing machine. The ESB won't tell you how to do that.

/M

Advertisement